Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MOF doesn't retail outside of France I thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fart Car '97 posted:

MOF doesn't retail outside of France I thought?

I can buy it here in Switzerland, for whatever that's worth. As to it getting stateside, no idea specifically on that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

I can buy it here in Switzerland, for whatever that's worth. As to it getting stateside, no idea specifically on that.

It’s theoretically possible in certain jurisdictions (DC, KY, couple others) but I don’t think Fredrick Wildeman imports it here. We juuuuuust got elixir vegetal a few weeks ago in the US.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'm going to Chicago for the first time (discounting layovers in O'Hare) this month. So far the only drinking plan I have is Three Dots and a Dash the night I get there. For the rest of the trip I'm looking at one evening in Wicker Park, one day/evening in Hyde Park and one evening without any real plan yet. Where should I go for cocktails? is it actually worth making reservations anywhere short of The Aviary for drinks or is that overkill/awkward when I tell the server we're not ordering food?

Bonus points for something outside of the "stirred and bitter" template.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

lavaca posted:

I'm going to Chicago for the first time (discounting layovers in O'Hare) this month. So far the only drinking plan I have is Three Dots and a Dash the night I get there. For the rest of the trip I'm looking at one evening in Wicker Park, one day/evening in Hyde Park and one evening without any real plan yet. Where should I go for cocktails? is it actually worth making reservations anywhere short of The Aviary for drinks or is that overkill/awkward when I tell the server we're not ordering food?

Dove’s Luncheonette does a great brunch with good cocktails. Big Star next door has reasonably priced fancy bourbon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I loved everything at The Drifter and went back like three times. If they have the banana and Jaegermeister cocktail when you're there get it, it sounds like a nightmare but it's one of the best things I've ever had.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Corb3t posted:

Dove’s Luncheonette does a great brunch with good cocktails. Big Star next door has reasonably priced fancy bourbon.

Also the Violet hour is across the street from both of them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m excited to be back in Chicago at the end of April myself. Will make a note of everybody’s suggestions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

lavaca posted:

Go to the Punch House! I went there in like 2015 and it was great, I think about it often. Look at this menu!

God I want to go back to Chicago.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kumiko is not a “stop by” place, really, but they did make me the most skillful cocktails I’ve ever had.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Sportsman’s Club is an old favorite. If you haven’t been to any of the Mother’s Ruin outposts, they’re all good (esp this one, it feels eerily like the one in SoHo, where Nashville is more a vibe thing).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I almost went to the Nashville mothers ruin tonight. I didn’t know it was a multiple locations thing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I impulse-bought a bottle of Metaxa. Anybody ever tried cocktails with it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Per my Greek in-laws, it's two Metaxa shots per bottle of mythos and then you start doing mad bouzouki riffs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I impulse-bought a bottle of Metaxa. Anybody ever tried cocktails with it?

It's just your bog standard mediocre brandy :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's just your bog standard mediocre brandy :shrug:

That’s probably giving it more credit than it’s due, especially if it’s the entry level metaxa

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

I almost went to the Nashville mothers ruin tonight. I didn’t know it was a multiple locations thing

Yeah, they’re each pretty rad, in my opinion. Chicago feels like a mirror image of SoHo, while the Nashville patio rules it has a different vibe. Certainly didn’t help the night we went in was with kid-having mid thirties people who were astonished that 22 y/o’s are allowed to run around drunkenly unsupervised.

I was like, y’all, we were those kids 15 years ago. Put the right fear of god in them.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Making Super Bowl themed cocktails and was planning on a midori sour for the eagles. Any other green crowd pleasers? Preferably with midori so I can use it up sooner. I have green chartreuse but I don’t really want to use it bc it’s hard to get.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Booties posted:

Making Super Bowl themed cocktails and was planning on a midori sour for the eagles. Any other green crowd pleasers? Preferably with midori so I can use it up sooner. I have green chartreuse but I don’t really want to use it bc it’s hard to get.

For the midori sour, I have found that leandro’s is the most palatable spec: https://youtu.be/hkbxZ_d0OoM

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Basic Beach is more yellow-green than green but IMO there's nothing wrong with a drop of green food coloring if the drink is green in spirit

.75 lime juice
1.75 pineapple juice
.75 Midori
.75 Banana liqueur (Giffard)
.75 silver rum (Don Q cristal)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

bloody ghost titty posted:

Yeah, they’re each pretty rad, in my opinion. Chicago feels like a mirror image of SoHo, while the Nashville patio rules it has a different vibe. Certainly didn’t help the night we went in was with kid-having mid thirties people who were astonished that 22 y/o’s are allowed to run around drunkenly unsupervised.

I was like, y’all, we were those kids 15 years ago. Put the right fear of god in them.

The Nashville place can get packed and rowdy, for sure. I think it's because there aren't really any other "cool" bars in the neighborhood it's in. I tried going again yesterday evening, and it was slammed. I bailed to Urban Cowboy and later Chopper because I had shoulder surgery last Friday and didn't want to get jostled.

The times I've been while it was chill were a lot of fun though. I really like the staff there. I got drunk one night for 8 bucks because a bartender kept giving me her riffs on cocktails to try for free. I'll have to check out their other locations when I'm in those areas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I finally got some Cruzan Blackstrap rum, so now I can do mai tais that look like this (not my photo, I drank mine before I remembered):

The molasses flavor really gives it exactly the right note to make it something I want to go back for more of, particularly with a Barbancourt base. A mai tai is a bit much for me with Smith & Cross (similar flavor and funk but drat, that navy proof).

The blackstrap is not very pleasant to drink on its own, but amusingly it says right on the label that it's best used as a float on tiki drinks

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
That float looks like Angostura to me. Even if it isn’t, ango floats are underrated on tropical cocktails.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My first little four ounce bottle of Angostura lasted me like a year. I'm going through them in a couple weeks nowadays.

I wish I could find the big ones, the liquor stores I've been to only have big Angostura oranges.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

My first little four ounce bottle of Angostura lasted me like a year. I'm going through them in a couple weeks nowadays.

I wish I could find the big ones, the liquor stores I've been to only have big Angostura oranges.
Yeah you’ll go broke using the grocery store size. Webstaurant Store has the pint size for a little over $20 if you can’t find them locally. Their shipping can be steep though so if I don’t need anything else from there I’ve ordered 2-packs off Amazon for around $60.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got a big bottle from Walmart a couple weeks ago so I guess look there if you can’t find it elsewhere locally.

And for anyone who’s never been brave enough to try the ango heavy cocktails like the Trinidad Sour you definitely want to give it a shot, it works remarkably well and is really delicious. Science can’t explain it!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My local has a shelf for them, it's just been empty for ages. :argh:

Agree on trying the cocktails. I am not a bitter guy at all, I cannot stand aperol or campari in anything, but I love angostura drinks. Hence why I'm blowing through it so fast now.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Fly Eagles fly:

0.5 oz D-cell battery acid
7.5 oz yuengling
Green food coloring to desired hue

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Angostura is funny because its 44% and grocery stores don't card for it.

Also, I wanted to let the thread know that Chitoryu12, thread regular and cocktail nerd, has passed away. I'm his IRL best friend and am in contact with his mother. There is a memorial fundraiser up if I have permission to post it here.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also, I wanted to let the thread know that Chitoryu12, thread regular and cocktail nerd, has passed away. I'm his IRL best friend and am in contact with his mother. There is a memorial fundraiser up if I have permission to post it here.

I always appreciated his input in this forum, and for what it’s worth, you are great too. I’m sorry for your loss.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Sorry to hear that. He was a good poster who knew his stuff

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
A little too sweet for me but will be fine for the masses. I added vodka with green food coloring to make it darker.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I needed maraschino liqueur and my place was out of Luxardo so I got Vergnano, and man i am not a fan. Tastes like cherry flavored medicine.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

That’s awful I’m sorry to hear that. Always liked seeing his posts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I needed maraschino liqueur and my place was out of Luxardo so I got Vergnano, and man i am not a fan. Tastes like cherry flavored medicine.

The Cherry Heering I just picked up for Singapore Slings is pretty tasty.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Ah goondolences. He was the guy with the avatar that looked like McNulty from the Wire lighting a smoke.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an Apple Pie Old Fashioned

1.5 oz Jim Beam Apple
1/3 oz Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
2 dashes Angostura
2 dashes Bitter Housewife Orange bitters

Could use less syrup, the Jim Beam Apple is 86 proof but very sweet. Does taste like an apple pie with baking spice though, very nice!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I often wonder how to use these flavored whiskeys that are popular. I keep getting gifted them, and generally I don't like them. But I also don't like to waste. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with salted caramel Crown Royal, and I'm fairly stumped still.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't stand them, personally. Same goes with flavored gins, every one I've tried has just tasted overpowering and artificial.

Tonight I was lazy and just made a rum & coke, except I decided to get frisky and used exclusively Rhum Clement. It was excellent! I usually reserve the Clement for mixing with other rums, so it's always nice to find a drink in which it stands out on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I still need to try the Morganthaler method of adding a half ounce of gin to the Cube libre.