Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Could anyone give some recommendations for good deck building games on Steam? I've really enjoyed Slay the Spire, but I'm hoping to branch out a bit to other games that still involve a deck building element.

Monster Train is probably my favorite. Roguebook is good too - it’s less about building a streamlined machine of a deck, and more about managing the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monster Train is the best game in the genre, IMO.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This is MYM, not a tower defense game oh my god

e: People are already discovering the "tank the FPS into the single digits to make it impossible to react to hazards properly by covering literally every block on the map in textures and decals" strat. The hosed up part is that it works.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 12, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Sab669 posted:

:hellyeah: I've been having a lot of fun with this game the last week as well.

Seeing everyone play all these demos ITT I felt like I was missing out and installed half a dozen ones that sounded OK last night, quickly uninstalled 3 lol. One could be fun and didn't get to the remaining 1 or 2 yet but I just wanna play MYM and my other usual video game loves :shrug:

Let my experience tell you that 80% of these games are junk and that this is the correct attitude to take. However...

I was a little worried when I saw the mature content disclaimer for Archmage Rises, which included a long list of unsavory things, but the bit I actually got to see was a fun romp through a Dwarf Fortress type randomly generated world with a good portion of Mount & Blade mixed with D&D style skill checks in its noncombat systems, though the actual combat and dungeon exploration gameplay is more of one of those old school dungeon crawlers. The main content storyline appears to be guaranteed no matter what world you generate and I'm not sure if that's something that's always going to be the case or if it's just a matter of the developer trying to keep things on rails for the demo before letting you descend into full procedurally generated insanity in the main version. It was fun being a classic adventurer trying to prevent a mind control plot by delving into a skeleton tomb though, with the added implication that the rebels might have just been trying to stop your patrons from getting access to the magic to reinforce their own hegemony, while still admitting they were 100% going to use it themselves just the one time. There are definitely bugs - I once got locked on a skill check in a random event that refused to trigger until I took the other option and fell into negative gold. But it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Just note that if you want to try it for yourself that the demo button is hidden off to the side of its page rather than placed prominently in green in the main body of the page like a lot of other Steam demos are.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 12, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That looks cool. I'm a big sucker for games with simulated worlds.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Archmage Rises seems really cool, apparently it has been in development for nine years and plans to release this year. I liked the art a lot and the systems under the game seem pretty deep, going to keep on eye on this to see how much it launches for.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I've played a bunch of games about cyberpunk. I've played a bunch of games about dinosaurs. Screw it, let's just mash 'em all together.

In Dynopunk, you play as Chris, the last T-Rex in the world, who has ambitions too large for his small town and thus moved to Synth-City in order to open up an electronics repair shop. What follows is a game that mixes visual novel elements with a bunch of minigames, the most prominent being the repair process which is basically One-Liner from WarioWare with increasing levels of complexity and complication, and trying to manipulate the emotional states of your clients in order to achieve a desired result - which could mean getting paid or influencing the larger events of the city in some way. Also you can just screw with people and if your AI assistant finds it funny enough they'll pay you from an offshore bank account they set up somewhere, somehow. The music and art style are all perfectly on point, very Neon 80's and Synth. I didn't quite gel with the game's writing/sense of humor, but if you're willing to sit through a bunch of "oh, the T-Rex has stubby arms" jokes and some relatively subdued pop culture references, there's a lot to love here.

EDIT: Somebody who's played The Red Strings Club should probably chime in, that's where it's popping up in the mindspace map, if taking itself less seriously.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 12, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh my god I have a new favourite 30 seconds. I was suddenly raided by a pair of players (didn't even know that could happen), and apparently when you do that you get the ability to revive each other pretty much without penalty, which makes it a lot easier to do a complete run. They'd grabbed the GenMat, were on their way back, and this whole beautiful series of events happened:

https://i.imgur.com/zXCRtKY.mp4

I was wondering how the hell there was a death token in that upper hallway with literally no traps.

e: Even better, on their way out next run they became the first ones to find my cache. Good on them!
this makes me think the game is tecmo's deception except multiplayer, is that accurate because i am all for that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 12, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MonkeyforaHead posted:

e: People are already discovering the "tank the FPS into the single digits to make it impossible to react to hazards properly by covering literally every block on the map in textures and decals" strat. The hosed up part is that it works.

lol. Is MYM like Mario maker in that you need to beat the level yourself to have other people play or does it let you just be as mean as possible with no repercussions?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I watched someone stream it yesterday that noted you DON'T need to finish a level before you can publish it. So you put those hooks behind corrosive cubes that aren't seethrough all you want.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing Steamworld Dig 2. I found all the artifacts and before going into a probably point of no return I went into a floating palace in the sky and I cannot leave and I will not kill myself to get my first death. So I've been resetting. I'm on the 7th challenge aka escape and I have 1 heart so I die in one hit. I really wish I would have had some better cogs equipped for this. Idk how many more challenges there are, but holy gently caress this is hard to do without taking damage.

Edit: also like someone was saying a page or 2 back I bounced off hard on Nioh 2. I played for 5 or so hours and couldn't get into it like Nioh 1. Anyone have a recommendation for 2 fun weapons to focus on? I want to try it again

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
re: Nioh 2 weapons: Tonfa, Katana, Splitstaff, Claws

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RC Cola posted:

Edit: also like someone was saying a page or 2 back I bounced off hard on Nioh 2. I played for 5 or so hours and couldn't get into it like Nioh 1. Anyone have a recommendation for 2 fun weapons to focus on? I want to try it again

Fists are really fun, and you can pair them with either axe or kusarigama to get something with more punch (ironically) or range.

Switchglaive is fun, but almost makes the game too easy.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Anyone got any recommendations for simple ARPGs? I've been craving one of those PS2 era games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions: Return to Arms. Mostly I'm not looking to get showered in tons of lot with tiny granular %-based upgrades, so stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE and the like are right out. Here's more what I'm looking for:

Marvel Heroes Omega (rip to a real one, so bummed I can't play this anymore)
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Baldur's Gate:DA 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath and the sequel
X men Legends
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the 3rd one was such a disappointment to me)
Undead Horde (this one is maybe just a bit too brainless but it's been scratching an itch, I'd love for the studio to make a slightly more polished sequel)
Nobody Saves the World (this one really engrossed me, I loved the loop of fulfilling challenges to unlock abilities in other classes. I think I 100%d this one)

Mostly I'm looking for something that doesn't require a ton of thought in a build, some loot but not too much (I don't want to fiddle with loot filters, games in this genre should just give you less, but more significant loot IMHO), and maybe use like 3-4 core abilities that are pretty distinct from each other. A big plus would also be builds that aren't too complex (like M:UA, pick like 3-4 skills and max them out)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SoR Blaze posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for simple ARPGs? I've been craving one of those PS2 era games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions: Return to Arms. Mostly I'm not looking to get showered in tons of lot with tiny granular %-based upgrades, so stuff like Grim Dawn and PoE and the like are right out. Here's more what I'm looking for:

X men Legends
Undead Horde (this one is maybe just a bit too brainless but it's been scratching an itch, I'd love for the studio to make a slightly more polished sequel)
Nobody Saves the World (this one really engrossed me, I loved the loop of fulfilling challenges to unlock abilities in other classes. I think I 100%d this one)

Mostly I'm looking for something that doesn't require a ton of thought in a build, some loot but not too much (I don't want to fiddle with loot filters, games in this genre should just give you less, but more significant loot IMHO), and maybe use like 3-4 core abilities that are pretty distinct from each other. A big plus would also be builds that aren't too complex (like M:UA, pick like 3-4 skills and max them out)

I've never played it, but people always bring up Victor Vran in this situation.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga if third person is ok might be an idea.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jack Trades posted:

That looks cool. I'm a big sucker for games with simulated worlds.

also it's literally only five dollars right now, so, yknow.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

WarEternal posted:

also it's literally only five dollars right now, so, yknow.
Archmage Rises? It's not available for purchase yet, for me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also Archmage Rises is going to be $30, not $5.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I said before that 2 minutes after I closed down City of Beats, I realized that the game was trying to make me feel like I was playing Hades. Spiritfall doesn't even try to hide it. This is literally "Hades, the 2D platformer." It's very well polished, but you know exactly what you're getting when you play this, apart from stuff like the hidden room that turns it into Smash Brothers for an encounter.

SokoChess White is Chess, but the goals are like Sokoban, until you start getting to later levels with an increased number of obstacles, in which it sort of flips itself and becomes Sokoban that just happens to involve Chess piece movement. Maybe the full game will flip-flop on that a little more. Again, you know what you're getting with this, there's some additional mechanics that pop up, but it's not that complicated. It's not Chess: The JRPG.

1/2 White or Black may or may not be Chess: The JRPG. This... really shouldn't be here. It snuck onto my list because it has very good English advertising despite the demo being entirely in Chinese, but I kind of want to see if it gets an English translation because it's very pretty and looks like it's going to be bonkers.

Well, if I'm already reviewing bonkers looking games that I can't actually play, I might as well give the write up for Umigame, in which you and another player (to later be 1-4 players) take the role of Battle Turtles and smash your way through aquatic themed dungeons. It looks a little floaty and chaotic from the clips, but in a good way. Game's code looks like it might self-destruct at the slightest touch based on a note in the demo though, so definitely has the highlights of an idea that the dev thinks is funny that might not make it to a full release state.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 12, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SoR Blaze posted:

X men Legends

Both of the Dark Alliance games are available on Steam.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

gestalt demo is good. there is a fwd dash and a quickstep/moonwalk. niiiice

combat feels great. feels a lot like Foregone, except gestalt doesn't miss the mark. foregone is an offbrand game and gestalt is legit. "this is what i remember mega man x feeling like" is good

that other one that was like dark messiah also cool, but not as legit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Splitstaff and tonfa rule. I started with switchglaive and initially thought it was fun but felt like it got harder to use and eclipsed by my splitstaff usage a bit as I moved through higher difficulties.

if you invest in magic (a good idea) splitstaff and switchglaive are the obvious choices since they’re the two highest magic-scaling weapons.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sick thanks for the nioh 2 advice.

I finished steam world dig 2 and got the heaven and hell achievement without dying and without extra life or the bloodstone health thing. It was loving hard. I had 2 deaths somehow that must have happened when I was high and or drunk. Oh well.

What game do I play next Steamworld heist Persona 4 Golden, Othercide, HAAK, or Nioh 2?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 12, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dynopunk

To add to what another user said, the gameplay in this involves diagnosing the issue with a customer's device (usually by asking them questions) then selecting the right microchip for the job, laser cutting it, and gluing it to the device with superglue (very scientific). I assume it will get more complicated with each new day of the game, though. This one I'm not 100% sure on, it steps a bit on FixFox's territory but with not as solid gameplay.

Stack Gun Heroes

Another Stux recommendation, SGH is a wave defense FPS where you can build ridiculous guns by stacking parts on top of each other which offer positive and minus attributes. I think there's not quite enough meat on the bones here, as the gameplay is relatively simple and there's not an upgrade tree so much as a branchless upgrade pole.

Slave Zero X

Slave Zero X takes the brand name of an old Dreamcast mecha game and that's about where the similarities end. Instead it is inspired by Strider 2 and character action games, with 2.5D environments and a lot of very fluid fighting. Just about every direction+attack (light or heavy) has its own move and of course you are chaining moves and combos together, getting graded on style and time as you would in a DMC game, and eviscering dozens of enemies. There does seem to be parrying of some kind but I don't know how it's triggered because there's no tutorial so I was just thrown right in.

I think the gameplay in this has about enough fun for maybe 3 hours tops. The combat is fun but the enemies have a little too much health (especially the bosses), the staging is too close so there's no real platforming, and you're just kinda running right, slicing, running right, slicing. It ends up having more of a belt-action feel than a Strider game, and games like that need a little variety to them to keep from getting stale. So I'll have to see if this can shake things up over the course of the campaign, or if it's just this for the entire experience.

Elypse

We've got to stop calling everything a Metroidvania before they start calling Mario one. This is just a linear platformer where you are always moving forward from stage to stage. Alright? You don't get the morph ball and have to go back to sector q to go through the tunnel to reach Smorferia... you're just moving forward and sometimes you expand your repertoire. There's not even a map!!

Elypse is actually not bad, though. It kind of reminds me of System Purge, where you're navigating through hazard filled areas. Unlike System Purge, you do have two abilities: a chainable air-dash, and a thorn that you reload by dashing. Over the course of the levels you'll add to the amount that you can chain either. The air-dash works a lot like Ori & the Blind Forest, while the thorn is similarly aimed. Fay, who is already quite fast with their regular movement, can infinitely-chain dashes on the ground. So this will make for a pretty good speedrun game, I think.

Maybe we should call MV games "lock and key" games? But then people would think Doom counts. dag nabbit. I'm not calling them "search action"!!!

Wishlisted: Elypse, Slave Zero X (but will wait on reviews)

Just two demos left, Planet of Lana, and Wandering Sword. Actually, one more, Guidebook of Babel, one that I meant to play LAST Next Fest but forgot to.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 12, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Quantum Coherence is a game that tries to bill itself as a big philosophical space shooter, but can't even get through the opening chapter without throwing typographical errors in your face. The controls are terrible: even when they work, the gameplay is generic apart from the BLINC function, which has been done better in other games. And on top of all of that, the game crashed into a chapter title screen mid-mission. Avoid. The only philosophically compelling thing to come out of this piece of junk is that the art in the introductory advertisement for the faceless megacorporation was at least partially generated via artificial intelligence program, and is making a strong argument that it should've been allowed to have full creative directorship over the game's graphics instead of the developer.

Spirited Thief is a turn based stealth game divided into two phases: you have a spirit who goes in and cases the joint so that you can get an idea of the layout, and a sorcerer-thief who actually breaks in and steals stuff. The concept feels a little bit contrived over just having the map fully visible at the start and a single player character, but maybe I missed something clever that the spirit is absolutely vital for that wouldn't be possible otherwise even if it wasn't strictly necessary, or this is one of those cases where function follows form instead to make things feel more like a heist and give you a wise-cracking buddy. The actual gameplay is solid, with the turn based nature of it allowing you to hide out of sight of guards or sneak up to them and stun them/steal their keys without relying on you having quick reflexes. Making this a bit more of a planning game than the madcap zaniness that can sometimes happen in something like Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine. Incidentally, did you know that there's a Monaco 2 in development? Not at this NextFest, sadly.

HeistGeist feels like someone tried to staple several games together. The main character is playing a deckbuilder with the cards being categorized into A/B/C types that can chain effects depending if you play an A after a B or so on. Simultaneously you have a hacker that's playing a much easier puzzle game (still card-based) where the biggest threat is accidentally destroying the nodes she's on instead of getting useful stuff out of them. Out-of-combat segments for each character allow acquisition of assets to make traversing the mission grid easier and combined with interplay between the two characters, this works to create a movie-like heist feeling, which felt incredibly tense and cool while playing the demo mission. But I can't help but feel like this falls off the rails or gets old really quickly, especially if the Hacker-side isn't given more revision in development. I recommend HeistGeist, but I could very easily understand if you find it to be generic or unbalanced.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 12, 2023

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks to all the people reporting their demo plays in here. Very interesting!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Search action is a perfectly good term for a certain type of game that's not Metroid or Castlevania

And yes I realize it's mostly a pointless battle since so many people have adopted MV as the term to use by now.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

Affogato

Here's one to keep an eye on in the future. A combination of coffee-shop game (ie Val-Hall-A) and reverse tower defense game, with additional Persona-esque side activities to pass time and increase your stats.

It's not anywhere near on the level of those games in terms of ambition, as the cutscenes are either with a couple of VN drawings or chibi sprites in the world that don't emote. But it's an enjoyable mix, with a lot of funky music and everything boopin to the beat. In the TD segments, you place your heroes on the lane via cards COME BACK WAIT STOP. it's just set dressing for "if you have X points you can summon this hero", it's not a buncha randomized attack cards or w/e. Each class offers something different, from tanking to pure offense to healing to charge attacks. In the coffee shop, customers talk to you while you brew them coffee, with a process that feels like a lite take on Cook Serve Delicious, only with dragging things around and not, you know, the avalanche of customers swarming you.
I enjoyed this demo, it was also like 3 hours long, it kept going and going. The reverse tower defense mechanics took a but to get used to. Making coffee for people was chill.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Could anyone give some recommendations for good deck building games on Steam? I've really enjoyed Slay the Spire, but I'm hoping to branch out a bit to other games that still involve a deck building element.

Tower Tactics is real good IMO, though a bit on the easy side. It's a deck based rogue-like tower defense game, three things I'm sick of in general but they really work together in this game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

busalover posted:

Thanks to all the people reporting their demo plays in here. Very interesting!

Yeah this, thank you very much for it! It's bulking out my wishlist very nicely

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Soul Tolerance is a sci-fi mystery RPG set in the distant future of 2214. Humanity wiped itself out 130 years ago, then AI fought over all the remaining server space, and then a single AI won out and controls everything. For its own amusement it keeps robots running the routines of humanity, and suppresses anything that reaches a certain level of developmental complexity. Such an existence is said to have surpassed "Soul Tolerance." You play as Unit 12, a detective robot manufactured to investigate a case where deviation from Soul Tolerance has emerged.

I liked the graphics and worldbuilding on this one, but not enough to overcome my boredom at slowly and half-aimlessly wandering the streets of robo-Sapporo. Download the demo to look at the beautiful voxel art in the intro sequence and just buy Primordia instead, which is this concept but executed better.

Gods of Savvarah is a visual novel in which you play as Hasvah (the gray lizardman in the front) as he is forced into a journey around the lands of Savvarah, an evergreen paradise surrounded by an endless wall of clouds. Game is trying to bifurcate routes so you don't get the full story of side-character motivations on any one playthrough, so while you only need to play through once to get a satisfactory ending, playing through multiple times is necessary to understand why everyone is doing what they're doing. Has battles which appear to be sort of QTE based, in that the screen will start darkening rapidly until you pick an option. Will be releasing the first chapter in late March or April, but plans to spread it out over 9 chapters, which is good in that it gives the developer more time to write the story, but bad in that they could drop off the face of the earth and leave it unfinished or you get a miniscule amount of content for each chapter. Gods of Savvarah seems interesting, but very traditional for its genre.

Bonus: I don't really want to play Amarantus, which has a lot of the same deal but is hyping up the marketing on the stupid intraparty antics of your band of ragtag revolutionaries and their love lives. But you are now aware, in case that is your sort of thing.

Immortal Tales of Rebirth is another one for the dishonorable mention pile of "Chinese Games that Pretended to Have an English Option". This one might actually be worse in that it pretended to have the option in-game too, which barely helped anything. Some kind of roguelike strategy cultivation game where you build up strength and fight big monsters? Controls felt clunky even when I was trying to just focus on the gameplay and move the main character around. Maybe there's a group of people who have been eagerly following this game and have a fully working English patch and more expansive tutorials than what the game provides. But if you're relying on that then there's other games even in this NextFest that I'd rather have that kind of dedicated support for.

And with that, I think I'm done reviewing games that I 1) conceptually liked, 2) could even sort of play or felt were worth bringing up despite not being able to play, 3) haven't been better reviewed elsewhere either in the Steam Thread directly or one of the genre threads if it's one that people are really taking notice of. Gonna either go and review the games that people did give their opinions on already or make a closeout post summing up the experience and ranking the stuff from my reviews. On the one hand, would be nice to play some of the more conventionally popular games, but I'm also tired of playing demos.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 12, 2023

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

John Lee posted:

Archmage Rises? It's not available for purchase yet, for me.

Meant to quote the monster train post, sorry.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

SoR Blaze posted:

X men Legends

As a fellow big fan of ARPGS but also one who likes to avoid the pace-killing avalanche of difficult to parse loot from games like Grim Dawn and PoE:

Well, they're definitely the obvious answer with the various Souls games (Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, etc) and Soulslike games (The Surge 1-2, Remnant From the Ashes, etc) since they have more simple but meaningful loot, but since it sounds like you're looking for a top-down experience, these might be out: figured I'd mention them just in case.

I think games like Hades and Curse of the Dead Gods can fit this bill, unless you're specifically not looking for a run-based roguelike experience. In a similar roguelike vein but with a more story-focused progression to it, maybe try Children of Morta?

Could maybe play Magicka 1-2: those have some fun action similar to those games you listed, along with a great creative spellcasting system. I suppose it's missing long-term loot and builds though.

Definitely consider looking into the Y's series which are some fun and simple ARPGs, as well as other Nihon Falcom games like Xanadu Next.

If you're got a Playstation 3 or 4, consider Dragon's Crown?

The Monster Hunter series definitely has meaningful loot that you craft, and its cool to build your own custom armor set with skills for all sorts of hunting styles.

You might also have fun with Vermintide 2? Fun to decide a class, weapon setup along with cool skill build while hacking away in good coop fun.

One of my most risky recommendations: maybe try Lost Ark? I had fun with it, but I will say, it is definitely a KMMO in all the bad ways, and does take way too long to get good.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 13, 2023

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

this makes me think the game is tecmo's deception except multiplayer, is that accurate because i am all for that

More or less! I see a lot more solo raiders than duos, and when raiding in pairs you can revive one another seemingly as many times as you want to avoid restarting a full run (as long as you don't both die at once like in the above clip) but it's also very easy to kill one another in cramped spaces. The only other games of this type that I'm aware of are King of Thieves on mobile, and Catch Me, a Steam game that no longer exists because of course it relied on a master server, and sadly nobody played it.

Pigbuster posted:

lol. Is MYM like Mario maker in that you need to beat the level yourself to have other people play or does it let you just be as mean as possible with no repercussions?

Mierenneuker posted:

I watched someone stream it yesterday that noted you DON'T need to finish a level before you can publish it. So you put those hooks behind corrosive cubes that aren't seethrough all you want.

Clarification: yes, you can be a massive twat with your level design and don't need to complete a verification run, but they've opted for a different set of restrictions to compensate.

One, you need a complete unbroken path from entrance to goal that your slow-rear end little Harvester dude can travel. He can't jump, so you need to build slopes for him anytime the path goes up or down; you can't block the path with acid blocks or have him traverse fake blocks that become hollow for the return trip or whatever. You can't just have, say, an entire room along the route with a floor that suddenly gives way into a mess of spikes and acid and explosions, or a twenty block long tunnel of acid cubes with a trap at the end that's out of range of your own projectiles -- unless you can come up with some way of tricking the raider into entering that room of their own volition, such as with tombs. Tombs being the bonus objective per-map that generate in a random fixed place and are quite enticing to raiders. There are no restrictions on building around them.

Two, traps can't detect people through occupied spaces. Fake blocks, acid blocks, those are threats to you and can absolutely be used to obscure vision in clever trap design while creating a space that can be fired through, and I had a fun time getting through one such hallway myself, but you can't just create a hallway of completely obscured death. You can create a hallway with, say, the endlessly-refreshing fire traps built in such a position that you can't safely get to them to shoot or disable them because they're all covering one another and built over acid cubes, but this all loops back around to the last point:

Three, death is cheap. Maintaining a base somewhat less so. You don't lose resources when someone raids you, unless you opt in to "overdrive" mode where you gain double resources from kills but lose a significant chunk when someone successfully escapes. Raiders have nothing to lose except time, patience, and cheap consumables, but after every ~24 hours of your base being active it will expire and demand resources to refresh. If the base has accumulated enough prestige through deaths and upvotes (upvotes being much more heavily weighted than deaths), you can do a prestige to cut the cost of reactivating in half and expand your point limit slightly to fit in a few more traps. Once you hit a certain point threshold spent on traps, your base's threat rating will go up between one of three ratings so people have some idea what to expect, and it allows you to waste more points on general architecture if you want to stay within a certain hazard rating. It's mostly pretty smartly handled and dickass design is punished when people start ragequitting, but I do worry that if this game starts pulling in big numbers people will find ways to exploit the system. Create Feeder Squads to rack up death counts and upvote the worst designed maps, that sort of thing. For now, it seems to be self-regulating well enough, but we'll see.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SoR Blaze posted:

You're in luck, there's a more recent Dark Alliance game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

it sucks almost as much as that trailer

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

ZearothK posted:

I can't accept that this is real

No gameplay footage, boring generic cg action... and that song. That can't be the song they used

E: jfc I just watched it all without skipping, the loving gopro shots loving lmao

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 13, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

lmfao

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

This acid cube was meant as a joke. It now has more kills than a majority of my traps, because people keep doing this:
https://i.imgur.com/wewHBWE.mp4

Never underestimate the compulsion to destroy an already-spent trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This acid cube was meant as a joke. It now has more kills than a majority of my traps, because people keep doing this:
https://i.imgur.com/wewHBWE.mp4

Never underestimate the compulsion to destroy an already-spent trap.

You get to see replays of deaths?