Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

I only shave a couple times a week anymore and am typically the least scruffy non-coalition person in my area because of it.

This
is very good.

They'll probably enforce baby-skin shaving in basic but if I can just keep tidy stubble after it it will be a very happy face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
No beard unless youre trade qualified, you can keep your dumb fuckin mop, now, though

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Woah, a pay raise? In my CAF?!

WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT?!

Rumors only, please.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

rumour i got from a GENERAL was they theyre clawimg back some pld and giving out a reducded pld across the board or some poo poo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
PSAC Strike Vote takes place at end-March/early-April. Last offer from the TB board was 3-4% increase each year over 3 years—backdated to June 2021—which they've rejected due to record inflation.

I don't really know how that affects CAF salaries, but I think they usually follow what PSAC negotiates? Or something?

I really don't know what I'm talking about.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

PSAC Strike Vote takes place at end-March/early-April. Last offer from the TB board was 3-4% increase each year over 3 years—backdated to June 2021—which they've rejected due to record inflation.

I don't really know how that affects CAF salaries, but I think they usually follow what PSAC negotiates? Or something?

I really don't know what I'm talking about.

They follow psac 4-5 years after

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah its a big town hall issue. Mil follows civ - and I'm already tired of hearing civs talk about voting NO on the strike action.

Strike! Get me on the picket line! gently caress poo poo up!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm doing my part! *puts in leave pass for strike action*

Edit: General feeling here is most everyone is onboard for all steps up to and including strike action—for whatever good it will do.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ive been hearing the opposite in winnipeg

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

taking 3-4 percent would be a colossal gently caress up given the fact that the economy is still fuckin roaring and labour, for the first time in decades, has the balance of power.

we should unionize the CAF.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

my morning jackass posted:

taking 3-4 percent would be a colossal gently caress up given the fact that the economy is still fuckin roaring and labour, for the first time in decades, has the balance of power.

I keep pointing out that european militaries are unionized and that goes over like a lead balloon

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I am voting for anyone making above $85k can shut the gently caress up and man the picket lines

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The rumint I've seen says PLD is being replaced with a housing benefit that works out to an additional 10-18% of base pay, depending on salary band, with lower bands receiving more %. If average cost of a suitable apartment size is over 30% of salary there's supposed to be an additional top-off.

Rumint ends.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The first industrial strike actions were the 1797 naval mutinies in Britain. Militaries can in fact go on strike, even during wartime, without everything ending in a junta though folks often assume otherwise.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I thought it was strange that my pay book would have 2 separate categories
Strike - legal and strike - illegal

Sure, let me just sign an admission that I was taking part in an illegal act.
You have my solidarity. Get compensated fairly for a change.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

well i learned a bitch of a lesson today. seeking help for depression will never hamper your career, unless you wanna go air crew then lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

loving seriously? That's worse than having a single kidney stone disqualifying your enrolment for 5 years. Sorry to hear that.

I'm toying with the idea of finishing my degree and going LogO so I can support my son better. Was going to go AEC (would honestly prefer it), but the shift work probably won't work that great until he's older. Considering I've worked in a logistics branch for 6 years, it's probably an easier foot-in-the-door.

Unless I have another kidney stone, then lol gently caress me.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

loving seriously? That's worse than having a single kidney stone disqualifying your enrolment for 5 years. Sorry to hear that.

I'm toying with the idea of finishing my degree and going LogO so I can support my son better. Was going to go AEC (would honestly prefer it), but the shift work probably won't work that great until he's older. Considering I've worked in a logistics branch for 6 years, it's probably an easier foot-in-the-door.

Unless I have another kidney stone, then lol gently caress me.

honestly delaying for 5 years is definitely worse, as theres still a chance i can maybe do it in a year and a halfish.

but i was very seriously contemplating release for the last two days and that just kinda cinched it.

so now im 100% checked out and will be searching for new non-mil government jobs on chuck's dime

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

The rumint I've seen says PLD is being replaced with a housing benefit that works out to an additional 10-18% of base pay, depending on salary band, with lower bands receiving more %. If average cost of a suitable apartment size is over 30% of salary there's supposed to be an additional top-off.

Rumint ends.

Yes this means a gigantic raise for people in Dundurn and Shilo and to be fair, Ottawa, whereas those in high COL PLD areas will get barely anything once PLD is removed, and some could get a cut. Super curious as to what the actual "suitable apartment size" is supposed to be as I, as a single income single parent, require a 3 bedroom anything at a minimum and a new rental in that range hits 30% of my (quite substantial) salary easily, excluding rent controlled and legacy rates.

Suffice to say that looking at the horribly botched pilot pay restructure (and SAR Tech), they guaranteed will gently caress this up badly. It's kind of fun doing resume building and seeing all the pretty cool jobs out there, especially because I'm pensionable.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Not sure if this is of interest, but the Canadian War Museum is looking for participants for an oral history project.

The project is about the experience of transition to civvie street and one focus will be on Cyprus, decompression and the lack of homecoming or follow-up at the end of a Tour, particularly for Reservists, just leaving guys to deal with stuff on their own. Another will be about how guys had public housing built for them after WW2 and whatever else but the social contract seems to be getting worse and worse and exploring if younger veterans aren’t faring as well as the older cohort for material reasons.

If this seems of interest to you, I believe you can reach out to them directly and if not I can shoot you contact info via DM. This thread has helped me, personally, by showing other people have the same problems, so if it seems like something that would be valuable to you too, it’s worth considering.

ee: The War Museum is also studying “if” (lol) compensation, benefits and housing better explain why “nobody wants to fight anymore” and the manpower shortfall. The Acting Director of the War Museum helped work on the New Veterans Charter so, while it’s an unlikely place for change to come from, public exhibits and therefore the public eye, place pressure on the CAF leadership in a way other things don’t.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 13, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Man, 17 wing just solved retention. Move the release section and dont tell anyone where or give people the new extension.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canadian Armed Forces: you can check out any time you'd like but you can never leave

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Also someone at CFB Kingston got Legionnaires Disease from a base warehouse building

I thought you only got Legionnaires on release

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Youre confusing legionnaires disease for commissionaires disease

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

Also someone at CFB Kingston got Legionnaires Disease from a base warehouse building

I thought you only got Legionnaires on release

holy gently caress lol someone in p med should be in huge trouble.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Two years and seven months later, I'm gonna repost this again.

This is more directed at civilians, but if you have a public servant who is in need of any kind of counselling, have them call the Employee Assistance Program. There's a lot more covered than I thought there was (for civilians and their dependents), and I really regret not calling them sooner.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yearly reimbursement for therapy is going up to 5k a year this summer, too.

Edit: note that not every agency / org is contracted with Health Canada, so check the contacts points for your EAP with HR.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

anyone ever dealt with the mfrc? I was thinking it may be useful for the fam while I am off training with some resources.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

anyone ever dealt with the mfrc? I was thinking it may be useful for the fam while I am off training with some resources.

Not personally, but during sentinel training, the padre really encouraged people to contact the mfrc if they were going away.

I dont know how much stock you put into what a padre says, but its there for us to use, so we might as well

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Swore my oath today, I'm part of the family now.

Next Saturday I'll find out what kind of a family it is!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SRQ posted:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SRQ posted:

As the mantra of GiP goes, "gently caress you if you're still in".

Mantle
May 15, 2004

quote:

The unrefuted evidence was that the photo was a zoomed in view of an erect penis without any backdrop for an appropriate measure to be made or to permit anyone to draw a frame of reference. I accept that in his view, he may have been genuinely seeking her feedback on his size, but if that was the case then the penis should have been appropriately sized against a measurable. It was not. There was no ruler or other basis to compare the length of his penis. I was troubled as to how he could even expect to receive such reliable or honest confirmation on the sufficiency of his size, based on a zoomed in photo. It simply seems illogical. Based on the nature of the photo, I can only infer that he was looking to impress the complainant and he was not seeking an honest opinion but rather, he was simply fishing for compliments, which he received.

So the takeaway from this decision is that if you're going to put forth a defence that you got consent to show your coworker dick picks to get their opinion on size, make sure your dick pics are sized against a ruler.

https://decisia.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/jmc-cmj/cm/en/item/520979/index.do

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

My Spirit Otter posted:

well i learned a bitch of a lesson today. seeking help for depression will never hamper your career, unless you wanna go air crew then lol

It can somewhat hamper your career. I'm coming up on four years of MCpl acting-lacking, and haven't been able to do the in-person portion of PLQ because they won't let me hold a rifle anymore. As a result it's practically impossible for me to get promoted to Sgt unless I rack up enough exercises to PLAR the course or magically stop being depressed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SRQ posted:

If you grew up with parents who were (somewhat) functional alcoholics who despise one another, drove a car so old nobody makes parts anymore and is held together entirely with duct tape, and would take you on family bonding trips to the beach with your surly siblings which devolve instantly into acrimony and screaming, you won't have much adjusting to do.

sic itur ad astra

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Four years ago I hated my job and considered joining up. I decided to stick it out instead and see if my job would get better.

My job got better and from reading this thread I'm really glad it did :stare:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

oh you like your job and are a happy and well-adjusted individual?

well fuuuuuuck youuuuuu bud.

tbh the CAF is fine in the reserves. cause if you don’t want to do something you just tell them to get bent, professionally.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 10, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Well this sucks. I feel there’s no opportunities to play to my strengths. Pass/fail fitness test soon. If I get put in fat camp as a five foot five 114 pound tiny boy I’m releasing.

Anybody know the consequences to release? The bill surely comes due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

just chill out it’s not that bad I’m sure you’ll do fine.

there will be lots of opportunities to fail in the army and there will be just as many opportunities to try again and succeed

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 20, 2023