Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Just got a job and the world ends wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Just a Moron posted:

This poo poo's genuinely making me anxious, I thought maybe we'd have a few more good years before complete Armageddon.

I can't die in the middle of a dry spell goddamnit

buddy you better believe i’m gonna be pounding one out as i get evaporated by a grey with a laser rifle

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
take me 2 ur leader

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

hseroK divaD posted:

I'm quite sure there was some sort of implicit pact between intelligence agencies like "we'll tolerate your balloons if you do the same", but the bus sized one was too much in the open to be ignored.

My prediction is that we'll see some downed balloons from both sides for a while until the people forget about it and it's back to business as usual.

my money is on this

same deal with spy satellites. it’s not like we don’t know they’re there, but other countries can see ours too.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

dads friend steve posted:

the US is wasting money shooting down stupid bullshit drifting over our airspace. Simple as

Thanks friend I feel better now

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol if the US shot down the mothman

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
the complete nonchalance over this in most places is driving me crazy lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SKULL.GIF posted:

• The past few years have seen the government becoming more and more open about that they're regularly sighting drones/balloons/UFOsUAPs. This is somewhat agreed to be the USA preparing for escalation with China, but as this thread has been detailing, this also coincides with a bunch of inexplicable-by-mundaneness reports that have been largely swept under the rug and brushed off as crackpot theories.
  • Last week, China lost control of a (CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE): weather balloon/spying satellite. It floated over the USA and Biden was upset that the military didn't shoot it down the moment they saw it. They couldn't shoot it down because it could've killed someone on the ground (it was very large and heavy). The moment it went over water the military sank it and then Biden gave the military a chewing out.
  • The media went nuts covering the China Spy Balloon and the Republicans used it to attack Biden relentlessly for not shooting it down.
  • The military / Air Force decided to start paying attention to all the poo poo they saw on the radar instead of filtering out what they presumed was noise/trash.
  • This weekend, the military spotted a "cylindrical object" off Alaska and scrambled F-22s to shoot it down. Government mouthpieces consistently used odd language referring to the "object", raising suspicions.
  • Later the same day, another "cylindrical object" was spotted above Canada. NORAD sent more F-22s to shoot it down.
  • Late last night a "radar anomaly" was detected above Montana. Jets scrambled to look at it reported that they couldn't find anything. Media tried to tell us the anomaly was a false alarm, but multiple members of Congress indicated otherwise.
  • This morning, another "flying object" was detected off the coast of China. China shot it down. (Here I should note that while China objected to the USA shooting down the original weather balloon, they haven't said anything about the Alaska or Canada objects we shot down.)
  • This morning, another "radar anomaly" was detected above Lake Michigan. Multiple jets, including a refueling tanker and an AWACS (large-range mobile radar plane) were scrambled to go intercept it. They couldn't find it.
  • Soon after, possibly the same "anomaly" was detected above Lake Huron on the USA/Canada border.

quoting to keep it up to date easy to read

• Anom shot down
  • somebody said it was an octagon at 20,000 ft

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

actually it’s normal for a war to break out in the skies over america. happens all the time

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

SKULL.GIF posted:

Roughly 12 to 16 hours

U F slow

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1624894834208014337

booooooooooooo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
put this on loop, really sets the mood. let's kick some Ayass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhYglDUsWo

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Space Jam posted:

buddy you better believe i’m gonna be pounding one out as i get evaporated by a grey with a laser rifle

The way God intended

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVHhxpy...24-8C2B2200E4E6

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sensibly chuckled

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

mdemone posted:

I have bad news about the speed of air currents over North America

jet stream is on the order of 100 mph, and it was what 16 or so hours between disappearing in MT and reappearing over the Great Lakes?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

they will have to speak soon, i really wonder what the spin will be

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ok, either it was definitely trash or we only have a few minutes to live. There is no in-between

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
CNN indicates
the real invasion is the southern border
anom was 8 sided, strings trailing
no pics ofc
3 most recent anoms were all smaller than CHINEASE SPY PLATFORM

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/thestormandsky/status/1624890408927993856?s=46&t=OhirulvEK1xswJCZwj7CcA

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fuckin lue balled

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

dads friend steve posted:

jet stream is on the order of 100 mph, and it was what 16 or so hours between disappearing in MT and reappearing over the Great Lakes?

If they are just picking up random sky trash on the radar can they confidently say it's the same object?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mdemone posted:

I have bad news about the speed of air currents over North America

at 20k feet? that's basically the jet stream. 120kmph/75mph.

this poo poo is all sky junk.

i want it to be aliens but it's just sky junk and america is stupid and insane and just yosemite sam shooting into the air because they're embarassed about the big chinese balloons the other week

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
So, it was shaped like an octagon and had strings attached to it but no discernible payload? Sounds like it was carrying something that was dropped before it was shot down.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

SKULL.GIF posted:

Roughly 12 to 16 hours

that maths out. its about 1315 miles. so thats like between 80-110mph which is like the median wind speed at that altitude. Sorry Ohio, no doped up on chlorine snake woman sex for you.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
like we've comprehensively filled the oceans with garbage, of course we're doing the same with the sky ocean

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Feb 12, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Notable f22 aerial victories
-big ol' balloon
-sky junk

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

the complete nonchalance over this in most places is driving me crazy lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
chuckling that the joint chiefs were going to hold a press conference until someone showed them photos of an above ground pool getting obliterated by a $500,000 dollar missile

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Mola Yam posted:

like we've comperhensively filled the oceans with garbage, of course we're doing the same with the sky ocean

A shitload of those grocery store plastic bags just blowing around in the atmosphere, loving with NORAD.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

BoldFace posted:

So, it was shaped like an octagon and had strings attached to it but no discernible payload? Sounds like it was carrying something that was dropped before it was shot down.

The payload is somewhere between Montana and the centre of Lake Huron. Get looking, people! We can cover a lot of ground if we split up!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

blatman posted:

fuckin lue balled

[UAPs] fuckin lue balled

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
"Taiwan has observed dozens of Chinese military balloon flights in its airspace in recent years, far more than previously known."

hell yeah I love war

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

we are actively SHOOTING DOWN UFOs over our airspace and NOBODY IS GIVING A GOOD EXPLANATION

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

also THEY ARE GAINING SIDES

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

poo poo the size of small cars is just blowing around up there?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just realized what the hanging strings were for

uber_stoat posted:

take me 2 ur leader

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Kessler Syndrome event happened and they aren't telling us

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sir another Coleman has hit the freedom tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's like if a broken drone sub washed up in oregon, and america responded by deploying zumwalt class destroyers to shoot at the pacfic garbage patch and those garfield phones that keep washing up in france