Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I don't have a non-video link, but this may help give you at least on overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That was one of the first ones I found, sadly I don't really have access to solder and such.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I can't say he's great for "howto" but Boylei hobby time has concise, fun, videos. And he shows his mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BoyleiHobbyTime?app=desktop

I can't handle barbatos rex, because every video is an hour long, and there's lots, and lots, of waffling.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

He's probably been recommended a hundred times in the thread already at this point, but Luke Towan's diorama build videos are so chill to watch https://www.youtube.com/@LukeTowan

Also, this video is incredible and it's also the first one this guy Bobby Fingers has released on his channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoHb0ziMDA

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

tidal wave emulator posted:

He's probably been recommended a hundred times in the thread already at this point, but Luke Towan's diorama build videos are so chill to watch https://www.youtube.com/@LukeTowan

Also, this video is incredible and it's also the first one this guy Bobby Fingers has released on his channel

Always second Luke Towan recommendations, but also holy poo poo that Mel Gibson diorama. The effort, the skill, and the hilarious commentary make this a completely different level of art.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vorenus posted:

Always second Luke Towan recommendations, but also holy poo poo that Mel Gibson diorama. The effort, the skill, and the hilarious commentary make this a completely different level of art.

It's just fancy geocaching

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Limerick is a whole vibe. If you know you know.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Anybody know if he has other videos on a different channel? He hit a homerun with this video and I can't help but think that this isn't his first youtube video.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s a second one of Steven Seagal getting knocked out and pooping his pants. Those are the only two I’ve seen

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

The Seagal one is brilliant. I don't know if he has another channel but I get the impression he must work in tv/film or as a prop-maker or something like that, his sculpting is unreal.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I like how he puts so much detail into the sculpting/scanning of Mel Gibson and the rest of the model, but when it comes to the flashlight going through the cop's hand, he's like "eh, good enough".

Also love his ideas for the dioramas. I can't wait to see what subject matter he chooses next.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

I like how he puts so much detail into the sculpting/scanning of Mel Gibson and the rest of the model, but when it comes to the flashlight going through the cop's hand, he's like "eh, good enough".

Also love his ideas for the dioramas. I can't wait to see what subject matter he chooses next.

I mean, from the main viewing angles, the focus is Drunk Mel, and the cop you just see from behind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Seagal one is brilliant. I don't know if he has another channel but I get the impression he must work in tv/film or as a prop-maker or something like that, his sculpting is unreal.
He seems to be affiliated with an art collective, but I have no idea how much of a film industry there is in the area. My guess is "not that much" TBH.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I liked the Mel Gibson one much better since it seemed like there was a lot of contempt behind it in the commentary he gives.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Five or so years ago I posted about a Tiger 1 I was putting together, but ultimately life happened and it was shelved. I made the decision starting out this year that I was going to finish this come hell or high water, especially seeing as I've gained a wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to modelling and painting, and with the blessing of my fiancee I have turned part of my kitchen into a miniature tank workshop. I'm condensing a couple of week's activity into a single post but I'll update a bit more regularly going forward.

This is how it stands at the time of taking the photo - everything thats connected up works, but the turret is in pieces, the gun barrel is missing, and the internals smashed to bits. You can see my disasterous attempt at zimmerit from five years ago on the lower front plate.

I decided that the best way forward was to order an entirely new turret. It would also save me from having to convert it to a late production model, and everything will actually work properly. After another failed attempt at zimmerit, this time using green stuff, I opted instead to order zimmerit sheets.

While I waited for the turret and other gubbins to arrive, I started converting the upper hull to a late model and applying the zimmerit. While the actual late models wouldn't have had the headlight sockets on the top of the hull, I opted to keep them as any attempt to remove them and smooth out the hull surface would likely look terrible, and I'm not aiming for 100% accuracy anyway.

The zimmerit sheets are going on, and I also drilled out and attached the new front headlight. I would start blending the zimmerit sheets into the hull a bit more, initially using green stuff, but later would switch to some AK grey putty as that produced much better results.

The turret has arrived and for the first time in over half a decade the tank actually has a turret and a gun. After figuring out some very poor instructions, I was able to plug everything and check that all functions work correctly, which it does. The next step while I continue the modifications to the hull is to basically disassemble it completely and begin painting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looking good so far. Are those metal wheels?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm looking at cutting some .75mm polystyrene sheet with a Silhouette Cameo 4. Not sure if it it would be best to ask here, in in the Gunpla thread, or in the WH40K terrain thread, but those other threads are filled with weirdos and you guys are my only friends, so I'm asking here.

Has anybody tried it? If so, what blade and cutting settings would you recommend?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I haven't used a Silhouette specifically before, but the plotter cutter I used to use behaved itself best with thick material on a slower traverse, especially at corners. That said, it was nearly ten years old five years ago, so hopefully technology and cutter blade mounts have advanced since then. .75 seems like it should at least be pretty easy to cut up, comparatively.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm looking at cutting some .75mm polystyrene sheet with a Silhouette Cameo 4. Not sure if it it would be best to ask here, in in the Gunpla thread, or in the WH40K terrain thread, but those other threads are filled with weirdos and you guys are my only friends, so I'm asking here.

Has anybody tried it? If so, what blade and cutting settings would you recommend?

I have a cameo 4 but I've never tried styrene. I think i'd try the default blade with a really shallow depth just to score the top of the sheet and then break it off by hand afterwards. Seems like trying to cut all the way through would probably cause problems.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

I have a cameo 4 but I've never tried styrene. I think i'd try the default blade with a really shallow depth just to score the top of the sheet and then break it off by hand afterwards. Seems like trying to cut all the way through would probably cause problems.

I'm trying to make a display for guitar picks that will go in an 8x11" frame, so essentially it will be a bunch of guitar pick shaped holes in the polystyrene to hold the guitar picks in place. Since there are no straight lines or scores to the edge of the sheet, I'm not sure how easy they will pop out after scoring, but polystyrene is cheap, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm trying to make a display for guitar picks that will go in an 8x11" frame, so essentially it will be a bunch of guitar pick shaped holes in the polystyrene to hold the guitar picks in place. Since there are no straight lines or scores to the edge of the sheet, I'm not sure how easy they will pop out after scoring, but polystyrene is cheap, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Don't want to derail your vision, but a shadow box type of display would be a cool way to show off guitar picks and would eliminate the need for the polystyrene framing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looking good so far. Are those metal wheels?

Thanks, yeah the wheels are metal along with the entire running gear (sprockets, idlers, tracks, suspension arms etc). The lower hull is metal with a plastic shell surrounding most of the outside.

It’s pretty neat how aside from the source of motive power the running gear is just like the real thing, just miniaturised.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another crapgun from AliExpress. The quality and detail of the kit is even better than the Kar98k. There is even a small round molded at the top of the magazine (correctly sized this time!), and you can see the top of the mag with the bolt open. The stock folds too.

Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/mCJirLO

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

MyronMulch posted:

Don't want to derail your vision, but a shadow box type of display would be a cool way to show off guitar picks and would eliminate the need for the polystyrene framing.

I guess I'm not following your train of thought. I'd still need a way to hold the guitar picks in place. Do you have a link to a youtube video that does something similar?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

I guess I'm not following your train of thought. I'd still need a way to hold the guitar picks in place. Do you have a link to a youtube video that does something similar?

How "affixed" do you want them? Guessing something non-permanent? What if you just used something like museum putty (Which I guess is just fancy poster tack) and maybe a couple pegs (Or really just pins) to support them at the bottom? Or if you use a shadow box, do that same mounting method, but on small lengths of dowel so the picks kind of appear to hover?

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, I was just thinking of glue (of some sort) onto mat board, but it depends on how reversible you want the mounting to be. Archival double-stick mounting tape probably wouldn't damage the picks. I'm viewing this as a permanent sort of display, though, not a storage place for picks that someone would be using regularly, since picks are things you use and throw away when they get worn out...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have a 10 pack of 8x10" frames, so that is what I am going to use. The main reason I want to cut polystyrene sheet is for placement and alignment. It will be a permanent installation. Now that I think about it, I could just score the polystyrene and use the score lines as a guide to glue the picks in place with a gel superglue. Problem solved.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If I have a decal that came out kinda wrinkly, is there any chance of fixing it after the fact? Is there any point to applying decal solution/softener on top of it once it's dried up, or should I just let it go?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you only applied water to it so far, you can apply more water to make it pliable again. If you put some solution on it, it will be stuck in place. You can also put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on it and that will suck the decal into the crevices of the model. That will definitely help with wrinkles too, just be careful to not damage the paint.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can also put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on it and that will suck the decal into the crevices of the model. That will definitely help with wrinkles too, just be careful to not damage the paint.

That worked perfect, thanks

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

If I'm using an acrylic wash for lining/shading on top of an acrylic varnish then what is best to use for cleaning the excess without causing damage?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Started my first 1/72nd plane while I wait on some weathering supplies for my Bulldog, and I have no idea how the 1/144 planes people post in here look so good.

Building the Airfix BF-109 and it's fun but. . . frustrating. The kit's not terrible, but it's hard to work with such tiny parts.

I've got a Tamya British Chieftan tank to do next, and I'm wondering if I'll have the discipline to not just move to it.

On a more positive side, I'm pretty happy with the Bulldog build and even managed to make the rusty mufflers look like I know what the gently caress I'm doing.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hello Thread,

I picked up an Evangelion Unit 01 kit from the hobby store and I wanted to try something new. I took five hours out of my day to get the torso done and so far not only is this fun but the Torso looks great!

I am super new to this whole thing and I am personally so far satisfied with how it looks so far. Ill provide more updates but today I think I am done. Ill work on it more after work.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Tamiya putty is so much nicer than the Squadron brand carried by by local shop. Much easier to put on and sand afterwards.
The Squadron putty is like sanding diamonds and flakes off. None of that with the Tamiya.

Also trying to texture the turret with Mr. Surfacer 500. Fun to try some techniques!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hello Thread,

I picked up an Evangelion Unit 01 kit from the hobby store and I wanted to try something new. I took five hours out of my day to get the torso done and so far not only is this fun but the Torso looks great!

I am super new to this whole thing and I am personally so far satisfied with how it looks so far. Ill provide more updates but today I think I am done. Ill work on it more after work.

The RG Evas are all really good builds. Have fun with it! The Gunpla thread in adtrw also has several people who have built them. If you have a Liquid Chrome pen or even a silver sharpie use that instead of the little round silver foil stickers.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Midjack posted:

The RG Evas are all really good builds. Have fun with it! The Gunpla thread in adtrw also has several people who have built them. If you have a Liquid Chrome pen or even a silver sharpie use that instead of the little round silver foil stickers.

Ill check it out! I was worried me posting this might not fit but I did not even know about this being a thing in ADTRW as I never go there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tin Tim posted:

If I'm using an acrylic wash for lining/shading on top of an acrylic varnish then what is best to use for cleaning the excess without causing damage?

I'm hoping someone has a better solution for you, because I'm often in a similar position. That said, water immediately after application, or don't double up on acrylics. I switched to oil washes for anything I think I'll ever need to clean up for that very reason.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hello Thread,

Very cool! Are all the pieces in molded color? How do you deal with all the little sprue nibs?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

therunningman posted:

Very cool! Are all the pieces in molded color? How do you deal with all the little sprue nibs?

These are all molded color. So no paint and glue are necessary.

As far as the nibs I do the best I can to cut them using 3/4" Diagonal cutters. I picked up a file from harbor freight but I think that is absolute overkill and I was fearing it was filing way too hard.

Im not going to punish myself too hard because this is my first build. The breast plates alone took be a good hour to figure out because it kept falling apart when I was ready to move onto the next step. During that hour I learned to cut the nibs from the molding off and everything just 'Snapped' into place like it was nothing. So that is a good lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm hoping someone has a better solution for you, because I'm often in a similar position. That said, water immediately after application, or don't double up on acrylics. I switched to oil washes for anything I think I'll ever need to clean up for that very reason.

The only acrylic wash I use is citadel nuln oil, typically on top of an acrylic gloss, and yeah the answer is p much: clean up v quickly before it's dried, or at a push a q-tip with a small amount of acrylic thinner like vallejo on it to loosen the wash. Too much thinner, or rubbing too hard, will lift the acrylic gloss underneath.