Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Why the hell would they settle a case of idiot drives into building, gets injured? How is driving into specifically 711s a daily occurrence?

USA number one country in need of a complete overhaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A few years back the radio voice of the Steelers and Pitt football and basketball did that

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...JLDFY5ZPL5DNXM/

Dude drove his car drunkenly into a drug store, went and picked up his medication, backed it out, and drove home. lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

Well, you see, it has regenerative brakes, so the more I brake the more energy I save!

I've heard someone say that their EV gained energy after returning from a ski trip, from the regenerative braking.

"In this house we..."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I've heard someone say that their EV gained energy after returning from a ski trip, from the regenerative braking.

"In this house we..."

I have cycled downhill for kilometers without resorting to actually pedalling, so assuming you live directly and entirely downhill from the resort and didn't use any lights or heating I guess that's still dumb as poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonHair posted:

I have cycled downhill for kilometers without resorting to actually pedalling, so assuming you live directly and entirely downhill from the resort and didn't use any lights or heating I guess that's still dumb as poo poo.
I think maybe Skinnymansbeerbelly means they meant a net gain of energy for the round trip?

Otherwise it's obvious not impossible to gain energy driving downhill with regenerative braking (although probably unlikely unless you live at the base of the mountain or something)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

mystes posted:

I think maybe Skinnymansbeerbelly means they meant a net gain of energy for the round trip?

this

e: I have no problem believing that the trip computer would show that the range increased. It's the failure to recognize the underlying error.

Skinnymansbeerbelly has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Feb 12, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

*jots down note in idea pad* what if 7/11 sold cars? One car micro showroom. (underlined) Blockchain?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

7/11 still hasn't put up bollards to stop that? lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

actionjackson posted:

most little convenience stores and gas stations around here have them now. usually the little cheaper ones, with half of them bent over from being hit by cars. newer stores have full size 'gently caress your truck' bollards.

it costs money to install bollards, and you know how small business owners are with preventive actions that cost money.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gunshow Poophole posted:

no coast

only pedals

I managed to get like 18mph in an early 90s suv because i was too poor to afford gas so i was coasting it everywhere i could and someone I explained this to seemed so intensely confused and upset that i wasnt constantly hammering my way to every stop light and the end of every freeway offramp.

"wow i'd hate to be behind you!!! WHAT A BAD DRIVER" lmao

I'd seen this woman run multiple stop signs and lights in years of being a passenger in her car.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

if you want an image of the future, imagine an SUV slamming into the storefront of a 7-Eleven every day, forever

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jetz0r posted:

most little convenience stores and gas stations around here have them now. usually the little cheaper ones, with half of them bent over from being hit by cars. newer stores have full size 'gently caress your truck' bollards.

it costs money to install bollards, and you know how small business owners are with preventive actions that cost money.

I'd guess insurers have started giving better rates if you have them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A few years back the radio voice of the Steelers and Pitt football and basketball did that

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...JLDFY5ZPL5DNXM/

Dude drove his car drunkenly into a drug store, went and picked up his medication, backed it out, and drove home. lol

im mostly amazed that the pharmacy served him anyway

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

In a sane world, you wouldn't need to put up bollards to protect your building from being driven into, that should fall somewhere between meteor strike and underground cave in in terms of likelihood.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

im mostly amazed that the pharmacy served him anyway

It's Bill Hillgrove, you sorta have to

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Combustion pollution bad in a different way????? nah dont worry about it.

quote:

Common kinds of air pollution led to changes in teens’ blood pressure, study says

quote:

CNN

Scientists know that air pollution can make it difficult to breathe and may ultimately cause serious health problems like cancer, but a new study shows that it might also have a negative impact on teens’ blood pressure.

Exposure to higher levels of nitrogen dioxide was associated with lower blood pressure in teens, according to the study, published Wednesday in the journal PLOS One. Exposure to particulate matter 2.5, also known as particle pollution, was associated with higher blood pressure.

The researchers say the impact is “considerable.”

Other studies have found a connection between blood pressure changes and pollution, but much of that work focuses on adults. Some research has also found negative associations with pollution exposure and younger children, but little has focused on teens.

Generally, low blood pressure can cause immediate problems like confusion, tiredness, blurred vision and dizziness. High blood pressure in adolescence can lead to a lifetime of health problems including a higher risk of stroke or heart attack. It’s a leading risk factor for premature death worldwide.

The study did not look at whether the teens had symptoms or health effects from the change in blood pressure.

The scientists saw this association between pollution and blood pressure in data from the Determinants of Adolescent Social Well-Being and Health study, which tracks the health of a large and ethnically diverse group of children in London over time.

The researchers took data from more than 3,200 teens and compared their records to their exposures to pollution based on annual pollution levels where they lived.

Nitrogen dioxide pollution is most commonly associated with traffic-related combustion byproducts. Nitrogen may help plants grow, but it can impair a person’s ability to breathe and may cause damage to the human respiratory tract. In this study, the nitrogen was thought to be coming predominantly from diesel traffic.

The particle pollution in the study is so tiny – 1/20th of a width of a human hair – that it can travel past the body’s usual defenses. Instead of being carried out when a person exhales, it can get stuck in the lungs or go into the bloodstream. The particles cause irritation and inflammation and may lead to a whole host of health problems.

Particle pollution can come from forest fires, wood stoves, power plants and coal fires. It can also come from traffic and construction sites.

In this study, the link between pollution exposure and changes in blood pressure was stronger in girls than in boys. The researchers can’t determine why there is a gender difference, but they found that 30% of the female participants got the least amount of exercise among the group and noted that that can have an effect on blood pressure.

“It is thus imperative that air pollution is improved in London to maximise the health benefits of physical exercise in young people,” the study says.

Although the study also can’t pinpoint why teens’ blood pressure changed with pollution exposure, others have found that exposure to air pollution may affect the central nervous system, causing inflammation and damage to the body’s cells. Additionally, exposure to particle pollution can disrupt a person’s circadian rhythms, which could affect blood pressure. Particle pollution exposure may also reduce the kidneys’ ability to excrete sodium during the day, leading to a higher nighttime blood pressure level, the study says.

When it came to nitrogen dioxide pollution, the researchers had previously done a crossover study that involved the blood pressure of 12 healthy teen participants who were exposed to nitrogen oxide from a domestic gas cooker with lit burners. Their blood pressure fell compared with participants exposed to only room air.

In the new study, the associations between pollution and blood pressure were consistent. Body size, socieoecomonic status and ethnicity didn’t change the results.

However, it looks only at teens in London, and only 8% of them were people of color. Those children were exposed to higher levels of pollution than White children, the study found.

Levels of pollution in London are also well above what World Health Organization guidelines suggest is safe for humans. However, the same could be said for most any area in the world. In 2019, 99% of the world’s population lived in places that did not meet WHO’s recommended air quality levels.

Earlier work has shown that pollution can damage a young person’s health and may put them at a higher risk for chronic diseases like heart problems later in life. Studies in adults found that exposure to air pollution can affect blood pressure even within hours of exposure.

Pollution caused 1 in 6 deaths worldwide in 2019 alone, another study found.

Some experts suggest that one way to reduce a teen’s risk of pollution-related health problems is to invest in portable air cleaners with HEPA filters that are highly effective at reducing indoor air pollution. However, the filters can’t remove all of the problem, and experts say communitywide solutions through public policy are what’s needed.

Dr. Panagis Galiatsatos, an assistant professor in pulmonary and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins Medicine, said research like this is important to generate a hypothesis about what these pollutants are doing to people. Galiatsatos, a volunteer medical spokesperson with the American Lung Association, was not involved with the new study.

“A lot of these air pollutions tend to cluster in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, so it’s one of the big reasons we want to always keep a close eye on this, as it disproportionately impacts certain populations more than others,” he said.

Blood pressure is an important marker to track for health because it is a surrogate to understand the more complex processes that might be happening in the body.

“My big takeaway is that these toxins clearly seem to have some physiological impact on the cardiovascular system, and any manipulation should be taken into the context of a concern,” Galiatsatos said.

Study co-author Dr. Seeromanie Harding, a professor of social epidemiology at King’s College London, said she hopes it will lead to more research on the topic.

“Given that more than 1 million under 18s live in [London] neighborhoods where air pollution is higher than the recommended health standards,” she said in a news release, “there is an urgent need for more of these studies to gain an in-depth understanding of the threats and opportunities to young people’s development.”

lol personal story about this - my dad used to work on his old 1984 chevy van in our carport and would just let the engine run for loving ever while he was tuning it and my room was right next to that and i'd complain that i was feeling light headed and bad and he would just shrug at me about it. "toughen up!"

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
This is 100% alcoholics and olds, both types of people who shouldn't be operating heavy machinery, right?

E: the ones creaming the slushie dispensers I mean

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

FlutieFlake posted:

What made you all hate cars?

since total car domination was just the norm, I never thought about it. until the local council launched a very nice local history website with thousands of high-res scans of photos dating back to the 1840s.

"wow, so and so street used to be lined with trees, its street parking now"
"this is a pretty row of houses and a pub. what is it now? oh, a car park"
"they demolished all these beautiful old buildings when they widened that road?"
"there used to be trams running through here??"

why had all these things happened which made my town uglier and less pleasant to be in?

eventually the penny dropped

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I doubt a single person in the history of sharrows has changed their driving after seeing one. What a stupid idea.

bike lanes with a dotted line are common in the netherlands and work fine (although obviously protected bike lanes are better) but thats because most drivers grew up cycling too (and many still cycle) and there's proper drivers education + testing

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

bike lanes with a dotted line are common in the netherlands and work fine (although obviously protected bike lanes are better) but thats because most drivers grew up cycling too (and many still cycle) and there's proper drivers education + testing

That's such a completely different thing that I'm not sure you know what a sharrow is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Groda posted:

That's such a completely different thing that I'm not sure you know what a sharrow is.
"how dare you not know about garbage fake american 'bike infrastructure'"

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Groda posted:

idk what the american ones are but this is what NL has (our worst bike lanes)

https://goo.gl/maps/KNXLJmddMqVtPfnVA

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure the american ones are just taking a regular lane of traffic and painting a picture of a bike on the paving every now and again?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Called it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A "bike lane" is lines painted on the road legally reserving the lane for bikes exclusively. This not actual physical protection from a car that does not want to obey the rules, so it's not a great solution.

The contentious part is a "sharrow", or when you make the lines denote that that section of the road is "shared" by bikes and cars.

This is more dangerous than not having a bike lane at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Those are advisory bike lanes or whatever you want to call them.

These are sharrows which are just bike symbols painted in normal car lanes.

Since their alleged purpose is (I guess) to indicate to both cars and drivers that it's not safe for bikes to get over and bikes should take the lane, they tend to only appear on moderately high traffic/high speed roads that suck to bike on (in contrast to, e.g. wayfinding directing cyclists to low traffic streets that are actually okay without dedicated bike infrastructure).

mystes has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Feb 13, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Horace posted:

since total car domination was just the norm, I never thought about it. until the local council launched a very nice local history website with thousands of high-res scans of photos dating back to the 1840s.

"wow, so and so street used to be lined with trees, its street parking now"
"this is a pretty row of houses and a pub. what is it now? oh, a car park"
"they demolished all these beautiful old buildings when they widened that road?"
"there used to be trams running through here??"

why had all these things happened which made my town uglier and less pleasant to be in?

eventually the penny dropped

This is pretty much what did it for me too.

The final one-two was 1)the first lockdown in 2020. The blissful silence when there was no traffic on the road outside my house or on the elevated ring road a quarter of a mile away. You could hear birds, leaves rustling, people talking in their gardens and even a dog barking from across the park. The kids from the house across the road spent a day doing chalk art on the road.

Then came 2) when I got a temporary job driving a delivery van and driving around a patch of English provincial towns and cities. all rendered largely identical by the same car-based retail parks and housing developments. And, with a mindset now primed to be sceptical of cars, you realise what a staggering proportion of our limited space we give over to accommodating cars. Bits of town designed before mass car ownershiped now virtually clogged to gridlock due to parked cars crammed into every bit of space - grass verges ruined by being claimed as parking spaces, front gardens replaced by cheap paving to become a driveway, pavements half-blocked by fleets of generic SUVs. And when the cars aren't parked they're forming crawling flocks or fume-spewing jams, all so people can delude themselves that they're exercising their personal freedom...to sit in the same traffic jams as everyone else on the way to do a bit of shopping.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

FlutieFlake posted:

What made you all hate cars?
Graduating and moving to one of our historic, dense, walkable cities with an at least B+ tier transport system. Being unable to afford to rent anywhere 'nice' and so suffering traffic pollution and noise 19 hours a day.

Then realising my situation was comparatively 'pretty good' on a global scale.

BalloonFish posted:

the first lockdown in 2020. The blissful silence when there was no traffic on the road outside my house or on the elevated ring road a quarter of a mile away. You could hear birds, leaves rustling, people talking in their gardens and even a dog barking from across the park. The kids from the house across the road spent a day doing chalk art on the road.
loving This x10

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Something that still really grinds my gears (to use an automotive metaphor) is people on cellphones while driving. I just went across the street to the dispensary and when I was about 50 feet from the curb, this driver in a Land Rover swung around for a right turn definitely driving up onto the sidewalk and sped off past me. Wouldn't you know it, she had a phone in her hand about a foot from her face. If I hadn't forgot my mask and gone back into my apartment to put one on, she might have hit me. I had a smoke on my way back in and counted another few drivers paying attention to their phones while passing by.

Like, remember when this was a new thing, how people were talking about writing distracted driving laws to cover phone use? And now 25 years later everyone's got one mounted to their dashboard, ostensibly 'for GPS' but still. Or they're just brazenly one-handing it because this call just can't wait and clearly needs their undivided attention.

Just like everything else in this stupid loving world, we lost. The idiots and assholes won.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A "bike lane" is lines painted on the road legally reserving the lane for bikes exclusively. This not actual physical protection from a car that does not want to obey the rules, so it's not a great solution.

The contentious part is a "sharrow", or when you make the lines denote that that section of the road is "shared" by bikes and cars.

This is more dangerous than not having a bike lane at all.

here bike lane with dotted lines == shared lane, cars should use the lane when there's oncoming traffic and when turning right
bike lane with solid lines == bikes only
protected bike lane == usually bikes only, sometimes mopeds/e-bikes/speed-pedelecs/it depends

so the lanes with dotted lines and are supposed to be shared and still work fine (if not great)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Last night I went for a walk during sunset hours and since it was Friday night, lots of people were out driving, walking, biking, etc.

I walked by this one block where there are three or four bars/restaurants and saw all the folks piling out of their cars to go drink and really thought hard about how dumb that all is.

And then, strangely, this happened last night in front of the bars:

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/02/flipped-car-crash-in-morgan-junction-2/

The cars were still there when I walked by this morning. My guess is it was someone flipping a u-turn to go home after drinking too much and they did a fucky wucky.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Like, remember when this was a new thing, how people were talking about writing distracted driving laws to cover phone use? And now 25 years later everyone's got one mounted to their dashboard, ostensibly 'for GPS' but still. Or they're just brazenly one-handing it because this call just can't wait and clearly needs their undivided attention.

yeah Studies Say it's about as bad as or worse than drunk driving :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mawarannahr posted:

yeah Studies Say it's about as bad as or worse than drunk driving :)

Yeah, and we just... let it happen. I have my suspicions that hands-free devices don't really do much either.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, and we just... let it happen. I have my suspicions that hands-free devices don't really do much either.
People really just need to stop if they're going to be making phone calls or texting or whatever but I guess unfortunately one of the ways that driving sucks is that it often isn't even that easy to do that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

41 Schieveensedijk

mystes
May 31, 2006

I prefer not to shave it actually

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Mister Speaker posted:

They don't. A conversation with a passenger in the car isn't as bad, but that's because you have a second pair of eyes to looking at the road.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

They don't. A conversation with a passenger in the car isn't as bad, but that's because you have a second pair of eyes to looking at the road.
I think also because they'll understand you're driving so it's easier to stop the conversation if necessary