Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

I’m watching Logan’s Run and it’s pretty cool that in the future guns have been redesigned so that they don’t hurt people they only set rocks on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKROeWxZHfg

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

joyce carol oates is never joking

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
what if the aliens land and they're just loving ridiculous looking

like, they sort of look humanoid but have dick and balls on their foreheads like nbd

taking this further, what if it follows our racial stereotypes

with this stupid timeline this is going to happen

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 12, 2023

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Airspace over Lake Michigan was restricted for a little while "due to national defense"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/airspace-over-lake-michigan-restricted-due-to-national-defense/ar-AA17oAUa

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Is it finally happening

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

2023 US-Chinese balloon crisis is really heating up

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If anyone needs me I'll be in my office reading biblioteca pleyades dot net to get the inside scoop. I'll report back with my findings.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I heard somewhere, now I forget and can't find it again, that the first balloon's primary job was probably detecting radioactive particles. This can't be done from a satellite. It could probably receive signals as well for spying, but most of those signals are encrypted.

The detection of radioactive particles would reveal where nuclear missile sites are located, as well as where nuclear power stations are.

The fact that the first balloon was allowed to stay in airspace for so long is a massive failure on all levels.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i heard it was just op's balls.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/RepJackBergman/status/1624868047780515841?s=20

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/1624873775823978496?s=20

its happening

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Danaru posted:

Ayyy lmao

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bula Vinaka posted:

I heard somewhere, now I forget and can't find it again, that the first balloon's primary job was probably detecting radioactive particles. This can't be done from a satellite. It could probably receive signals as well for spying, but most of those signals are encrypted.

The detection of radioactive particles would reveal where nuclear missile sites are located, as well as where nuclear power stations are.

The fact that the first balloon was allowed to stay in airspace for so long is a massive failure on all levels.

From a single book I read recently and am in no way qualified to interpret, sounds like it's sure not photography which is now dominated by insanely powerful satellites to an absolutely absurd degree.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

pretty sure nuclear power stations are well known as well as most missile sites (though maybe this could help determine where the warheads are? i'm not sure i buy that a balloon could detect that though.)

also i don't think i agree with your last point

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nooner posted:

I can't wait to blast the gently caress out of some aliens

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm actually more interested in these smaller ones than the big one tbh, which i can understand as 'china has a spy program disguised as long term weather balloons and they've been going for years and we finally cottoned on after one got stuck in an obvious spot for a long time for some reason'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it must be fun for the fighter pilots who haven't gotten to fire an air to air shot in anger since fukkin' 1991 (so really like, their dads) suddenly getting let off the leash to go all fox 2 on these balloons (and space aliens)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Being described as an “octagon-shaped object” that had strings hanging off of it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnovak/2023/02/12/yet-another-flying-object-shot-down-near-us-canada-border-on-sunday/?sh=497b7ad47364

The one shot down over Canada was cylindrical.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
lmao we're being trolled with balloons and spending millions shooting them down

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

Being described as an “octagon-shaped object” that had strings hanging off of it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnovak/2023/02/12/yet-another-flying-object-shot-down-near-us-canada-border-on-sunday/?sh=497b7ad47364

The one shot down over Canada was cylindrical.

so, a kite.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah you gotta give this one to China

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
1 Chinese balloon: $100

1 American missile: $472,000

Someone who is good at math help me, my country is dying!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Buce posted:

so, a kite.

Preliminary reports suggest the object was being observed by a round-headed kid who yelled "aaughh" upon decomission

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Philthy posted:

lmao we're being trolled with balloons and spending millions shooting them down

Truly the American way. :911:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Are the F22 pilots not good enough to hit anything with their machinegun? Why they gotta waste a missile? Send Tom Cruise up there, he could get one with the machinegun.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They should ram the balloons. Fighter jets look pointy and balloons are balloons. Pop. It’s just logical

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just a guy with a wingsuit, a lance and a warballoon.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is there a song called Balloon Boy that goes something like...

Balloon boy
Flying so high in the sky
Balloon boy

And then I don't know how the rest goes.

e: nm I was just singing the love boat theme.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2023

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Are the F22 pilots not good enough to hit anything with their machinegun? Why they gotta waste a missile? Send Tom Cruise up there, he could get one with the machinegun.

Well I would assume the government is in discussions with contractors to develop anti-UFO missiles and bullets.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mr_Companie posted:

You can only murder another human. The xeno doesnt come in peace.

If it really is a visitor from another world, the only communications we should send are a stream of objects propelled at relativistic speeds directly at their civilization. or we can send their relative position out to the greater universe.

If they can find us, we can find them.

I’m reading 3 body problem rn plz no spoilers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So the alien invasion of the US has been going on for a few days now so just gonna assume the US is now under alien control.

So yeah US people, what's life know like living under your new alien overload masters? Good/bad/okay?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Besides the first Chinese balloon, still no images of any of these objects right?

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Do you all remember balloon boy?

Maybe he's back

In pog form.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe the balloons are merely spacesuit equivalent for a gas based life form...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bagged an alien

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah it'd be funny if this was like a "Roadside Picnic" type event and this is just alien litter. Literally garbage from an interstellar road trip that they dumped and our governments are losing their collective poo poo scrambling to shoot down and recover.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are you saying it's a bag of extraterrestrial chips

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Doritos now with 4D flavour!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are you saying it's a bag of extraterrestrial chips

Possibly, if we're lucky it's a mostly empty can with a little bit of space beer we can analyze and replicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Bula Vinaka posted:

both implausible and illogical