Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bunny Fiesta posted:

I hope I was just on the edge of doing it wrong. I had been doing three weeks of higher volume, and decided to throw in a 100 km ride this Saturday. I felt pretty tired that evening, but not too bad on Sunday and much better today. I think I'll do a light spin tonight, if I do anything, and then back to zone 2 tomorrow.

Mostly I just saw the -55 TSB and thought I did something particularly dumb.

Thats pretty normal number for a hard month. The key is to then have an easy week to let your body recover. Yes your fitness score will drop, but only by 1-3 points and your fatigue score will drop far more.

Then smash yourself to bits for another 4 weeks. Repeat until you have monster legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'll rarely take my fat bike on the local XC trails. Usually never the super elevation changing exhausting ones, as it is a lot more effort, but it's just an entirely different feel compared to my old full suspension bike, and sometimes you just want to mix it up.
It came in handy recently when a friend moved to the area. He wanted to get into cycling and was going to just get a hybrid for doing paths. I let him ride three times on my heckler while I rode the surly, then he bought the best full suspension bike he could afford and a trailer hitch. Now he just picks my bike and I up at my house instead of having to take front wheels off and cram in a car.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have 29x3" Surly Krampus and although the "29+" platform is somewhat dying off, that is a nice compromise between a normal mountain bike tire and a fatbike.

I think people really underestimate what a 2.25" tire can do and when you start getting into 3"+ territory geometry starts to take a hit and bikes feel sluggish to steer and corner.

The krampus is fun though, I mean it really rips across loose stuff. But btw if you look at a picture online heads up that it does not do the size of those wheels justice. You have to see them in real life.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Salt Fish posted:

I have 29x3" Surly Krampus and although the "29+" platform is somewhat dying off, that is a nice compromise between a normal mountain bike tire and a fatbike.

I think people really underestimate what a 2.25" tire can do and when you start getting into 3"+ territory geometry starts to take a hit and bikes feel sluggish to steer and corner.

The krampus is fun though, I mean it really rips across loose stuff. But btw if you look at a picture online heads up that it does not do the size of those wheels justice. You have to see them in real life.

it's beautiful...

when it comes to tyre width i am like a monster truck owner. give me 5 inches who gives a poo poo, i think they look fantastic. but thicker tyres also look like they'd be a real slog to deal with, i can imagine that they're heavier and come with less dexterity than thinner ones. something around the 2.25-2.5" mark would be great. even though in an ideal world my dream bike would be at my local bike shop ready made i think i'll almost certainly in the coming months/years end up building my own from the frame up. at least it'll give me an excuse to buy a spongy wonder

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

Fatbikes are for riding in ungroomed snow

Even that is debatable. If you're anywhere with a significant accumulation you just can't ride if it isn't packed down. Around here we groom trails with everything from snowshoes to dragging a tire behind you to machine grooming with a snowdog which is basically the track part of a snowmobile pulling a sled behind it.

The trail basically becomes one wide skinny. Come off the edge (which happens a lot because the edge is a nice wall of snow for your tire to grab and steer itself into) and instead of riding on a ribbon of packed snow you're coming to a stop (sometimes upside down) in knee to waist deep unpacked snow.

Edit: this is a good example. This trail here was mostly mid thigh deep if you stepped off the side when we went.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 10, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I don’t have much fat bike experience but I have a lot of skiing experience. If I’m skinning in ungroomed snow I’m sinking in a decent bit on skis, which have massively greater surface area / contact patch than a pair of bicycle tires, even with 4” tires. And that’s before adding ~35+ lbs of bike weight. When I’ve (rarely) seen someone on a fat bike here in unpacked snow, it has looked miserable.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I know people that ride 5” tires in unpacked snow but have roughly same pace and efficacy as wearing someone giant clown shoes.

I have a fat bike I do most of my mountain biking on but I would not take it on what I understand an average gravel ride distance or pace.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some of my friends are psychos that do 100-300km winter endurance races on em. Longest I've ever done is around 60 and that's a long day.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

w4ddl3d33 posted:

something around the 2.25-2.5" mark would be great.

Even this is overkill for the riding you're describing. Moving from a 25mm road to a 32mm cyclocross tire on my road bike and airing down to ~50 psi was such a dramatic change in suspension and handling that gravel paths are no sweat and even some rocky and rooty singletrack is doable.

2" is plenty for most people's riding. Even with minimal tread, good traction can be maintained in everything up to some sand. Big fatty mtb tires like you're describing shine for running at lower pressures for sticking to gnarly rocks and roots, floating in sand, snow, or loose gravel, and generally increasing traction via surface area in the worst stuff.

Honestly the tires on your bike now are probably perfectly adequate for most surfaces. I'm guessing they're ~40mm? As new as you are to cycling, getting hung up on tire size and traction is going to create more problems and slow down your progression rather than help you achieve the mythical perfect bike. A new bike that is lighter and has more capable geometry would be an improvement over your stepthrough for riding unpaved stuff though. So much so that you might just stop riding the heavy stepthrough all together.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 10, 2023

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

55mm is great because you can get some decent rolling knobbies like the Rene Herse Umtanum Ridge, road ride at 15mph, and when you happen to see new single track there’s nothing to hold you back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

thicker tyres also look like they'd be a real slog to deal with, i can imagine that they're heavier and come with less dexterity than thinner ones.

Up to a point (maybe <3"), the width of a tire doesn't affect handling that much. Turning will feel slower because the extra rubber means a grippier contact patch means more resistance to turning inputs.
But how a bike feels in handling is determined by its geometry. Bikes with road geometry even with big tires would feel just as agile in terms of how quickly they track your turns. The problem is that very few frames with that geometry are made to accomodate big (2+" tires). So your instinct that you'd need to go custom is well-founded there.

That said,

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i live in an area with god-awful textured roads and in just a couple of months i'll be relocating to an alpine town with a ton of snow (but admittedly very well gritted roads). my current city bike, while very pretty with a very nice wicker basket, can't handle the roads in my city all that well, and i need a bike that i can have flexibility with - my local forest calls to me more and more with every passing moment

Modern gravel bikes that can accomodate 42-48mm tires should offer plenty of flexibility -- totally covering the bombed out street use case, definitely the forest path.
Ungroomed snow -- there's not much you can do except hope that the tire bites down to the underlying road/rocks and gets some purchase that way.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
just saw a man cycling on a fatbike with ~3" wheels, wheeling a regular city bike alongside him, while smoking a cigarette. i now cannot buy a fatbike, because no matter how much i try i'll never quite be him

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

just saw a man cycling on a fatbike with ~3" wheels, wheeling a regular city bike alongside him, while smoking a cigarette. i now cannot buy a fatbike, because no matter how much i try i'll never quite be him

This sounds like the aftermath of a theft

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If he wants to steal a bike that badly he deserves it, tbh

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Nobody Interesting posted:

it doesn't to me tbh

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

If you've ever done glade skiing (and enjoyed it) then you really owe it to yourself to give fatbiking a try. I think the best base scenario is really about 3-5" of fresh light powder on hardpack flowy singletrack. It is admittedly slow, but it's such an engaging, focused effort and a great combo cardio/core workout. It's also fun riding "fast" on wide groomed trails (like six foot wide, that pic above looks like a rough time).

Riding the beach along Lake Michigan sand dunes in the summer is also super awesome. But yeah, on normal non-snow singletrack definitely not the best.

To the OP's bike needs, I'd say either chunky gravel bike or hard tail 29er depending on the ratio of road/trails you seek to ride.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nobody Interesting posted:

Remember when I said the only people that commute on fat bikes are crack heads? Guess what one of their primary sources of income is.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
this tom boonen cartoon feels apt rn. i dont think a translation is needed

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Did a few things to make the cross bike into more of a winter road bike

Fenders

34mm vittoria corsa n.exts, tubeless

saddle from my road bike that i like better these days and a little lower stem

Also got the aeroshell cover for my helmet which keeps your head a little warmer

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's a guy who rides a fat bike past my office a lot. He has a boombox strapped on the rack that's always playing lovely metal really loud. He wears old army fatigues and boots exclusively. In the summer the fatigues are cutoffs.

Apr 7, 2003

That guy rules

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Presumably he already lost both feet in the war and therefore has no ankle pain

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What do you think of the NEXT tires?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

jamal posted:

Did a few things to make the cross bike into more of a winter road bike
Looking good!

Been riding my other beater the whole winter but the crank arm fixing bolt came loose and went missing so I'm waiting for a 4€ replacement (that I had to pay 10€ shipping for :negative:) to arrive from overseas... so in the meantime I picked up a spiked tire to throw on the front of this Scott hybrid that I had dedicated to the turbo and took it on the road.
Some fresh snow overnight, fun to drift in.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I rode a 54cm and 56cm domane for a few minutes, not really any closer to knowing which size to get. The guy at the shop was basically looking to see that it's not way too big or small. I don't know what issues to look for myself because I've never had this type of bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

brand engager posted:

I rode a 54cm and 56cm domane for a few minutes, not really any closer to knowing which size to get. The guy at the shop was basically looking to see that it's not way too big or small. I don't know what issues to look for myself because I've never had this type of bike.

If you're between sizes, then it's likely either can be made to work for you. Sizing up or down depends on personal stats like leg vs torso length, hip flexibility, lower back / core strength.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Easier to make a small bike ride bigger than the other way.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm right on the border between the two on both height and inseam

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Easier to make a small bike ride bigger than the other way.

I'm team Size Down for road bikes. YMMV.

Some nice gravel riding this weekend:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

brand engager posted:

I'm still new to this but I find it weird that bikes don't come with several different length steerers, you can adjust the seat post height but you're just meant to accept the steerer it comes with? You might find that the smaller bike would fit you with the right length steerer whereas the larger might be fine for your height but not be able to accommodate your reach because there's only so close you can bring the bars. The bars themselves also seem to have varying distances between the horizontal bit and where the hoods actually go, so really there's like 4-5 variables you can adjust to totally change how the bike fits.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slavvy posted:

I'm still new to this but I find it weird that bikes don't come with several different length steerers, you can adjust the seat post height but you're just meant to accept the steerer it comes with?
It would cost more money to ship a bike with multiple stems. Swapping stems to fit you before you take the bike is something the bike shop would do.

quote:

You might find that the smaller bike would fit you with the right length steerer whereas the larger might be fine for your height but not be able to accommodate your reach because there's only so close you can bring the bars. The bars themselves also seem to have varying distances between the horizontal bit and where the hoods actually go, so really there's like 4-5 variables you can adjust to totally change how the bike fits.
Even handlebars can be swapped before you take the bike, though the shop might charge for the additional labor. Figuring out what sizes you need and swapping between possible parts is the premise of doing a bike fit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bicievino posted:

What do you think of the NEXT tires?

Seems good, makes me want to consider a more aerodynamic wide wheelset for them for this bike. I'd like to have a more versatile road bike with better tire clearance but there's not honestly going to be that huge of a difference. I just think a domane rsl or something like that would be neat...

For a pure race tire on nice roads I don't think there's any reason to pick them over a gp5k or the handmade corsa but they're still pretty fast, come in 30, 32, and 34mm, and are cheaper..

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Slavvy posted:

I'm still new to this but I find it weird that bikes don't come with several different length steerers

I suspect most people would not be happy to pay for $100+ of parts they are not using with every new bike. The bike shop should be selecting an appropriate stem if required for customer sizing.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
There was the Look Ergostem but the look's a tough sell. I think exotic French parts are cool by definition.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vando posted:

I suspect most people would not be happy to pay for $100+ of parts they are not using with every new bike. The bike shop should be selecting an appropriate stem if required for customer sizing.

If you know enough to know you need a different stem, they not too expensive to just buy and fit your self in 10 minutes.

The problem comes with integrated cables and one piece bar/stems. Canyon last I check were terrible about not having the bar width and stem length combinations to even cover the popular combinations, and not making it easy to specify a different length width when ordering anyway.

A much bigger problem than stems for most riders is the bars on nearly every stock road bike sold are laughably wide, especially in larger frame sizes. 40cm should be the max size on stock bikes imo, and much more people need a 38 than even a 42.

Apr 7, 2003

Havana Affair posted:

I think exotic French parts are cool by definition.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

A fellow connoisseur I see.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Padded liner shorts are a revelation, holy poo poo. I know this should have probably been obvious based on what literally everyone has been saying, but even compared to my expectations they are so helpful.

Is there anything I should be thinking about fit wise in terms of getting a more involved spandex Lycra thing?

Also, would the Shimano PD-EH500 be a reasonable option for getting a pedal which is both flat and clip-in?

I’ve also heard mountain bike shoes can be a nice way to get used to clipping in while still being able to walk around easily for breaks. Would that be a reasonable place to start?

E: also to complete the baby’s first real biking combo, would a left hand side power meter be an ok alternative to getting power meter pedals? They seem much cheaper.

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 13, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, if I'm doing anything more than the five mile ride to work, I wear bibs. Under my mtb shorts, if I'm mountain biking.

Yeah, MTB pedals are great for commuting and rides where you're going to spend time off the bike. I had a coworker that would commute in them and then wear his mtb shoes all day, around the office. Personally, I wouldn't go that far.

Not a massive fan of the dual sided pedals. Don't they default to the platform being up? So you have to spin them around with your toe to clip in? Or is it the other way around? I had them for a minute, way back in the day, and I ditched them pretty quickly.

From today's ride:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

brand engager posted:

If I was 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam i'd go with the 54 :frogbon: