Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Entropic posted:

Post your best UI buttons with bad vibes

The autocomplete in my editor half-broke last week, and now when it can't find any suggestions to put in the tooltip, it just says "No."

I'm assuming it's supposed to be "No suggestions found" or something, but it makes me smile every time it does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
One of our phone customers has a hunt group for taking calls from customers who are reporting outages, which internally ended up being called the “Trouble” group, so a bunch of their phones have a softkey button on their screen that says “Enable Trouble”

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Entropic posted:

One of our phone customers has a hunt group for taking calls from customers who are reporting outages, which internally ended up being called the “Trouble” group, so a bunch of their phones have a softkey button on their screen that says “Enable Trouble”

Do they call their shifts being "behind the wire"?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when i was a small childe using windows 95 i thought the "illegal operation" error meant i was in huge, huge trouble and might go to jail

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weedle posted:

when i was a small childe using windows 95 i thought the "illegal operation" error meant i was in huge, huge trouble and might go to jail

Same except all the customers at the small-town ISP that I worked support at

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Weedle posted:

wicked same

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The number of times I got calls about that when I was on first line helpdesk is insane.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Weedle posted:

A friend lent me one of the discs for Command & Conquer and the elaborate animations in the installer where it pretends to be establishing a satellite uplink and decrypting the transmission or whatever while it copied the game files made me panic and think it was detecting that I was installing it illegally.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Some ancient software (niche industry "SharePoint" type thing) I was using back in 2012 had components that super users could create and these could have further nested components. When you tried to delete the very top level component that existed you would get a browser alert of "Are you sure you wish to delete this component? It will destroy all your children.".

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Weedle posted:

When I was a kid, my family had an Amiga. I remember being quite confused about what exactly a guru was and why they’d be meditating.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

door.jar posted:

Some ancient software (niche industry "SharePoint" type thing) I was using back in 2012 had components that super users could create and these could have further nested components. When you tried to delete the very top level component that existed you would get a browser alert of "Are you sure you wish to delete this component? It will destroy all your children.".

Ah yes, "zombies killing their children", what a fun artifact of computing in a certain era that we had to explain about our jobs to our families

That ISP that I mentioned working at, the owner was this dude with a really weird prankish sense of humor, the kind we all knew we should do our best to keep from having any contact with customers but we could never really bring ourselves to intervene because it was always just really funny to see him loving with customers, some of which even deserved it.

One time our SunOS DNS box lost its mind and had some kind of runaway system process that resulted in name services breaking for all our dialup customers (who were all dialing in to our rack of US Robotics Courier modems at 33.6) and nobody could get to anything on the Internet. We were fielding all kinds of calls from bewildered little old ladies and explaining as best we could that we were experiencing technical difficulties, in between me and Jim, the owner, frantically trying to figure out how to restore named to its previous working condition.

In the middle of all this, while the rest of us are all juggling phones in both ears at once, the phone next to the DNS machine (where Jim is flailing away on the keyboard watching processes and trying to restart services) rings, and he snatches it up. We only heard his side of the conversation:

"Hello?"
"...."
"Yes, we're working on it."
"..."
"Named turned into a zombie process."
"...??"
"NAMED TURNED INTO A ZOMBIE PROCESS."
"........"
"Thank you."

He hung up, and I stared at him, and he stared at me.

"Well, it did!""

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Bit of a crosspost from the games forum but appropriate:

So yeah, the people working on a major AAA game-as-a-service title published by a major publisher apparently coded a game patch that managed to blow up their own game build/patch system AND its going on 4+ days of them trying to unfuck it. Do you think they with the Backups by Buffalo option ? :iiam:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

New, from the user who brought you EMAIL:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If the next ticket is WORD you know their O365 sub is fux.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't put their preferred method of contact as Teams for the trifecta. I don't think it's in the dropdown but I feel like this is one of those users who would have somehow found a way.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't put their preferred method of contact as Teams for the trifecta. I don't think it's in the dropdown but I feel like this is one of those users who would have somehow found a way.

Helpdesks greatest hits:

User ticket: my email doesn’t work
Help desk agent: emailed user
Help desk agent: user never responded, ticket closed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We would get contact forms saying they can't receive email, and then only provide the not working email address as their contact method. Usually it was because their mailbox was full. We could increase their mailbox size a bit to try to get a message in there, but usually there was a queue of stuff waiting that would immediately fill it up. Eventually we got a new web client that would give quota warnings, and they changed students to Gmail as I was leaving.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I remember having only 50mb space in my mailbox in uni, and every few months warnings would come in and I had to go in and delete stupid old PowerPoint presentations I'd done for classes to make space for new ones.

This was BEFORE Gmail existed. I'm old.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I remember having only 50mb space in my mailbox in uni, and every few months warnings would come in and I had to go in and delete stupid old PowerPoint presentations I'd done for classes to make space for new ones.

I still remember when hotmail and yahoo had mailbox expiration dates plus an overall mailbox size of 15-25mbs. I also had my gmail account by invite and not by request. Good god it seems like ages ago.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

My uni email was only accessible via telnetting into a Unix server and I once had my access suspended and got called into the sysadmin's office because I replied all to a dumb email thread someone started.

:corsair:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your email would be whatever cPanel installed (Horde?), it would authenticate against an IMAP server and everything was in clear text.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

My uni email was only accessible via telnetting into a Unix server and I once had my access suspended and got called into the sysadmin's office because I replied all to a dumb email thread someone started.

:corsair:

I once got a stern talking to (as well as receiving dozens of flame emails) after I sent an email to a distribution list to literally every student on campus, asking how to install Quake on lab computers. I was not a very smart freshman.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HEY DOES ANYONE WANT A GMAIL INVITE

I GOT 3 OF THEM

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder if Google still have records of who invited who to Gmail, and if that's going to cause some mass account suspension episode in the future.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder if Google still have records of who invited who to Gmail, and if that's going to cause some mass account suspension episode in the future.

Does having a redeemed wave invite and a google plus history counts for not being banned in that night of long dead platforms?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

gently caress, Google Wave was so bad. I never got it to perform anywhere close to decent. It was always a slow laggy mess. So much for reinventing email.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

gently caress, Google Wave was so bad. I never got it to perform anywhere close to decent. It was always a slow laggy mess. So much for reinventing email.

Wasn’t that the one that showed you each character someone typed as they were typing?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It was incredibly bandwidth hungry. I had a nice VDSL2 at the time and it rarely slowed down(unless you had lot of item history to load) while other friends on adsl or slower pretty much were loading the pages at teletype speeds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
loving Google Wave :psyduck:

A friend tried running a D&D campaign in it and it ended up being easier to just write everything down with a pen instead.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

5 invite Gmail user (June 2004, I think), Wave user (when I could make it do anything), and Google+ person (actually used it quite a lot for a while).

I really wish Wave had turned into something more than a tech demo of what not to do for realtime collaboration.

I swear there was another one out there I missed that died quickly. Probably several. But I probably tried them all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wave was released when I was in college, and the biggest use we got out of it was collectively transcribing the professor's PowerPoint slides that he refused to share with us.

We could copy a slide in like 10 seconds it owned so hard

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Renegret posted:

Wave was released when I was in college, and the biggest use we got out of it was collectively transcribing the professor's PowerPoint slides that he refused to share with us.

We could copy a slide in like 10 seconds it owned so hard

I remember scoring an invite while my Google loving boss did not, which pissed him off to no end. The live edit part was next gen compared to the at the time standard ping pong of attachments.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

5 invite Gmail user (June 2004, I think), Wave user (when I could make it do anything), and Google+ person (actually used it quite a lot for a while).

I really wish Wave had turned into something more than a tech demo of what not to do for realtime collaboration.

I swear there was another one out there I missed that died quickly. Probably several. But I probably tried them all.
Google+ was actually both a really solid platform and an early warning of what real name policies do to social media platforms, especially ones that aren't the market leader yet. I had a small number of friends who used it regularly and all but one of us bailed when they decided to force us to ditch our chosen identities. Funnily enough that was illegal under Irish law and about a year after I told them so they got back to me and went "poo poo, yeah, sorry. Here's your account back" but at that point the ship had sailed and everyone was on Facebook... who then did the same thing and now their userbase is our parents' generation getting mad about conspiracy theories.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Google Wave was a cool tech demo for simultaneously editing Google Docs

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

I had a small number of friends who used it regularly and all but one of us bailed when they decided to force us to ditch our chosen identities. Funnily enough that was illegal under Irish law and about a year after I told them so they got back to me and went "poo poo, yeah, sorry. Here's your account back" but at that point the ship had sailed and everyone was on Facebook... who then did the same thing and now their userbase is our parents' generation getting mad about conspiracy theories.

I actually don't recall this kerfuffle about changing identities on Google+, remind me?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

HEY DOES ANYONE WANT A GMAIL INVITE

I GOT 3 OF THEM

i still remember getting my account from iSnoop's thread in GBS

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Podima posted:

I actually don't recall this kerfuffle about changing identities on Google+, remind me?
Some time prior to ~2013 (I can only find the emails where they folded) Google+ decided that usernames were not acceptable and they wanted you to use only your legal name, same as Facebook did in 2014. This caused problems in Ireland (Google's EU HQ) where we have multiple equally legal names and due to long-standing traditions people will be known by something that is neither, leading to "use and repute" being a way to establish legal aliases for various things. A notable example of such being politician Jackie Healy-Rae, born John Healy, but Healy being a super common name in the area he was distinguished by appending his family farm's name of "Reacashlagh" too. His son Michael was an elected TD at the time, using the same constructed surname, showing you how this poo poo is just the way things be in Ireland. So a bunch of assholes like me started throwing legal information at Google, quoting parliamentary proceedings etc, and long after we'd gotten bored and had moved on they decided to cop on and reinstate accounts and kill the policy, at least for our little island.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My mom was a little more computer savvy than most people so instead of doing a yahoo or aol account she bought a domain name that was our last name and set it up so that we were firstname @ lastname.net. She eventually let it expire so I looked into buying it back a few years ago and I was able to get it back. I kinda wanna start using it on resumes cause I think it's a neat talking point and I think they're fairly rare to see these days.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

I once got a stern talking to (as well as receiving dozens of flame emails) after I sent an email to a distribution list to literally every student on campus, asking how to install Quake on lab computers. I was not a very smart freshman.

Not quite as dumb as a group of 1st years from back in the day (aka very early 1990s) who discovered that you could send messages via their Unix login to other people logged in at the time. Great fun they thought. They found one user called Saul or Steve Imon (name changed to protect the guilty...), and send them a message. It was ignored. So they tried again. And again. Then sent the person a few nasty messages.

Next day they went to log in, and found their accounts suspended, with a message to go talk to Simon. Yup, the person they insulted. The only one with a username that wasn't first initial + last name. Also known as the university Sys Admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Um, I want to know if we have a particular software package.."

"Which package is that?"

"Uh, B-A-S-I-C it's called."

>clickety clickety d-e-l b-a-s-i-c.e-x-e<

"Um no, we don't have that. We used to though.."