Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Today I fitted a replacement carb to a gn125 because someone stole it out of the bike in a carpark

Why would you steal those. It's easier to spend $19.99 + free shipping for one on e-bay

Although.... you might get one with the wrong settings... yeah. It was me. I stole it

Edit: GN125 the CA page executioner :killdozer:

Slide Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Sometimes you just really need a carburetor. Who hasn't been there? They probably left a note saying they'd ordered a replacement and would install it upon arrival but it blew away.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

perhaps they thought it was a catalytic carburetor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"You wouldnt steal a carburetor"

gently caress you yes I would

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"You wouldnt steal a carburetor"

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CARB

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Come to think of it... is 3D printer plastic gas-resistant? :thunk:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slide Hammer posted:

A guy locally printed a carb adapter for my fcr-mx conversion in a nylon weave that was fuel resistant for this reason

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

Some are, yes.

Jazzzzz posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can, Have, And will continue to long after carburetors or internal combustion museum pieces are relevant.

do not ask me about my carbs that have been sitting in storage for over two years, with something a little over $500 in rubber bits that can fail from this exact thing

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
On the last ride of the season (Denver <-> Albuquerque) my countershaft seal started leaking, which on my bike isn't a trivial fix.

On a warm day last month I pulled out the engine, which is step one in the replacement procedure:

(this was my first time removing it, which was a fun? learning experience)

After a long wait for new seals, gasket, and sealing washers it was finally warm enough today to put it back together and button it all back up. No pics but my beater Nighthawk seems to be back up and running again. I took it on a shakedown around the neighborhood (enough to get it warm at least), it's smoking a bit but until I ride it tomorrow I'm not sure if it's just burning off the oil that dripped everywhere, or burning the oil that leaked into the heads while it was on its side, or what. Sounded okay though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
After I did a full teardown on my Monkey and put it back together, everything smoked for a bit. The exhaust seal needed time to seat/gunk up, various assembly lubes needed to burn off.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Went and bought a Corbin seat, only real issue I had with the Valkyrie is the seat is stiff and hurts my rear end on a long ride. Should be here by the time I head to my dad's and can start getting things situated and do the spring maintenance.

Also no it just a black seat, no spikes or weird poo poo. The gently caress do you need to look like a moron with studs spikes and crap?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Also no it just a black seat, no spikes or weird poo poo. The gently caress do you need to look like a moron with studs spikes and crap?

Uh, how else will people know what a tough guy you are?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I've seen a few people put furry mats or seat covers on their seats. Does the fur do anything? It is for cushioning, warmth, style?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Minor Nighthawk update: rode it around all day while it was warm out, no problems and more importantly it no longer leaks oil out the drive shaft. I'm chuffed.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Went and bought a Corbin seat, only real issue I had with the Valkyrie is the seat is stiff and hurts my rear end on a long ride.

Did you try the Corbin before you bought one? Corbin seats are hard as a rock, they're known for it. They're shaped so they spread your weight out better which makes them more comfortable than stock, but if you're looking for something cushy you probably won't like that seat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

T Zero posted:

It is for cushioning, warmth, style?

Yes

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jazzzzz posted:

Did you try the Corbin before you bought one? Corbin seats are hard as a rock, they're known for it. They're shaped so they spread your weight out better which makes them more comfortable than stock, but if you're looking for something cushy you probably won't like that seat

I've tried them before and can get how they can be are hard as all hell. An issue is is that there are almost no aftermarket seats for my bike because they stopped making them as options due to the low volume. Better weight distribution would do a lot for me because the stock just is all straight into my bony rear end.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Cleaned the front calipers & rotor bobbins. Bike had a very aggressive pulsing while braking at low speed. Was going to be very annoyed if the rotors were warped at 10,000 miles. Luckily the cleaning seems to have solve the problem.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Installed some Shad saddlebag supports on the new bike. Now I can fit my Oxford saddle bags without them wanting to sag in.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I woke it up early from it's winter nap to install a comically large top case

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Comically large you say??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Comically large you say??

Another death stranding reference??

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Bike maintenance day! For three bikes.

Start with a wash and rinse

Take that tank off because the throttle cable needs replacement

Did I say the throttle cable was bad?

Uh the oil on the old KTM is umm concerning

Looking better

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dw they all do that

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No just the KTM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean all ktm's do it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why would you pour a perfectly good milkshake down the drain?!?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That was oil & filter change on the Kawasakis, oil change on the KTM, clean and oil air filters, change broken brake lever on the 300, throttle cable on the KTM, plus chain cleaning/lubing, and adjustments to the handguards since they're bent to hell

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 20, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I both unfarkled and enfarkled my new-to-me sv650. An absurd looking billet aluminum sidestand baseplate enlarger from the P.O. came off, heated grips went on. Unlike last time I did this I removed the throttle tube to wittle down the factory ridges and even chucked it up in the lathe for a bit using a collet and everything. Not because I had to but because I could. I tucked the cables away as neatly as I could without going so far as removing the tank. Bro helped with the electric stuff so it's fancily and non-destructively connected to a switched 12V signal through a relay. The end result is that the heat setting is remembered between rides so coupled with the thermistor control of these new grips it should pretty much be a set and forget kind of thing, hopefully much less distracting than the simpler setup I have on the learner bike which requires some attention to get the heat I want.

Weather forecast looks like poo poo for the next week but now I'm ready for dry asphalt. Can't wait to finally ride this thing.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
So heated grips count as farkles? I guess I always thought a farkle should have an LCD or be sold by Garmin or something.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Ulf posted:

So heated grips count as farkles? I guess I always thought a farkle should have an LCD or be sold by Garmin or something.

Heated grips are an accessory. No way in Sharper Image hell they're a farkle... I stake my Schubert windshield wiper, oscillating siren, flare gun helmet with electric defrost and app visualization (perfect for my vise-grip (tm) cruise control/bobblehead) on it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I dunno man. In my mind a farkle synonymous with any motorcycle accessory, the value of which is entirely subjective. I just love the word and I use it as often as possible. For me heated grips is a must-have, so is lockable storage of some kind. Except I don't really have to have these things, I just really want them since I think they make my bike way better for my particular use case. I'm sure others feel the same way about jewel encrusted handlebar tassles or carbon fiber exhaust enloudeners or whatever.

According to rider magazine: Farkle (n): A modification to a motorcycle that satisfies the following criteria: creates “bling,” serves a purpose (the usefulness of which is in the eyes of the farkler) and is most likely expensive. Often used among touring riders to denote or convey status amongst their peers. Ex: “I picked up a new farkle for my ST today: a GPS-based burger joint locator!” (v): To farkle; to accessorize one’s motorcycle with farkles. Ex: “Boy, John really farkled out his K1300GT; it’s even got a cup holder!”

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My heated grips are the opposite of "blingy"

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I call everything farkling whether it is insanely good and life altering (luggage) or just some dumb cosmetic thing (windshield spikes).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where do stickers for my top box fall on the farkle scale?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where do stickers for my top box fall on the farkle scale?

Are they load bearing or just decoration?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The load-bearing stickers will come with a gigantic sticker on them in caution-orange that says "NOT TO EXCEED 2 LBS." They will, however, be capable of supporting 3 lbs. but on failure you waive your right to a load-bearing sticker lawsuit.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Is my top box a farkle if I chose the one I did specifically because it has more flat smooth surface for stickers than some of the other options I considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Dog Case posted:

Is my top box a farkle if I chose the one I did specifically because it has more flat smooth surface for stickers than some of the other options I considered

nah, that was a decision based on pure functionality

now if you'd chosen it because it came with integrated LED aux lights and a brake light flasher that's a different story