Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Y’all on some BS and need to play more games lmao. It’s not that unique and it’s certainly not hard to describe within the terms of the genre. It’s cool but it’s not a unicorn.

Edit: ahh bollocks, what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
beat saber is also a first person sword game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Y’all on some BS and need to play more games lmao. It’s not that unique and it’s certainly not hard to describe within the terms of the genre. It’s cool but it’s not a unicorn.

Edit: ahh bollocks, what a snipe

You can call it a FPS if you want, they asked why some people don't call it that. I don't find it a useful description on its own

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Metroid Prime is a Doom clone

if you want to be specific... it's a Corridor Shooter

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Metroid Prime is in the "Halo Killer" genre

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
search action game periodt

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They tried so hard to frame Prime 2 as a Halo killer it was pretty funny

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Encarta 95 is an FPS

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
SNES Jurassic Park is a FPS

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There hasn't been a true FPS since Chex Quest (1996).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

pwn posted:

Hmm, I agree

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like Metroid Prime so far but I wish you could turn off having to hold down ZR to use gyro on the "Hybrid" controls, I don't understand the point of it and it makes my hand hurt after a while. I tried the Wii controls as an alternative but I didn't like them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

pwn posted:

Good news:

Chex Quest HD, available on Nintendo Switch with couch multiplayer and it's on sale today for $1.99

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I thank you Nintendo for a letting me to find out that the greatest Mario is Mario Land 2 for the game boy thematically and design wise.
don't fight me on this. I'll lose

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got past the Last Wall in Phoneotopia. I’ve got about 50% +/-collectibles. I feel like I’m coming up on the end but maybe not. It’s so good and charming.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are the controls for Metroid prime remastered updated so that I can use right joystick to aim?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

Are the controls for Metroid prime remastered updated so that I can use right joystick to aim?

You have to use the dpad now

E: Yes you can

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's amazing how much faster you can get through Prime with the new controls. I've gotten further now than I ever got on Wii. It's sooo good on Switch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Steve Yun posted:

There are four different control schemes to choose from - the original Gamecube controls, motion aiming in the vein of the Wii versions, a combination of both, and modern FPS dual stick controls. All of these can be customized significantly, including adding gyro aiming to the dual stick controls.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was trying to encourage someone who doesn't like console FPSes to play it by changing their expectations.

In my experience most people who don't like console fps games don't like it because they find twin stick aiming hard/clunky/impossible

So even if it doesn't play like a normal FPS that's still not going to do much to get around it not being a keyboard+mouse

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

Encarta 95 is an FPS

Mindmaze was a roguelike

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chaleski posted:

Mindmaze was a roguelike

Ah, poo poo I remember Mindmaze :swoon: fuckin love that game.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Len posted:

In my experience most people who don't like console fps games don't like it because they find twin stick aiming hard/clunky/impossible

So even if it doesn't play like a normal FPS that's still not going to do much to get around it not being a keyboard+mouse

One of the ways it doesn't play like a normal fps is specifically that it does not do twin stick aiming, and in fact, with the regular controls, barely does aiming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phosphine posted:

One of the ways it doesn't play like a normal fps is specifically that it does not do twin stick aiming, and in fact, with the regular controls, barely does aiming.

Wait you meant I didn't just play through Prime with twin stick aiming?!

Because I'm pretty sure that I just played through Prime with twin stick aiming

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

Wait you meant I didn't just play through Prime with twin stick aiming?!

Because I'm pretty sure that I just played through Prime with twin stick aiming

I think what they mean is, traditionally, it didn't. And played just fine that way.

Granted, I think it plays BETTER with twin stick controls.

Metroid Prime IS an FPS in the sense that it's in first person and shooting is your primary means of interaction.

Metroid Prime ISN'T an FPS in the sense of Doom, Quake, or Call of Duty, where you're mowing down waves of enemies in those games and going level by level. In those games, your weapon exists with the sole purpose to kill (with very few exceptions).

It is a first person "search action" (Metroidvania) game that involves using your arm cannon to do stuff, which isn't always killing. Also, it involves zero human deaths (unless you lose, of course).

Not many fps games use your guns to solve puzzles.

None of this is hard, unless you're in the Switch thread where people feel the need to be overly pedantic and/or hostile as poo poo over this stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think by the second time you need to go in there you have the x-ray visor which really helps. But yeah, the ghosts are awful.

Yeah but one of the hints you scan in that room is "The Elder's greatest power lies beyond the second lock." The second lock which is the Ice Beam, which you get two rooms after the Elder's Room. You're telling me you didn't make a beeline back there instantly as soon as you get the Ice Beam to see what kickass prize you can get?

Item Getter posted:

I like Metroid Prime so far but I wish you could turn off having to hold down ZR to use gyro on the "Hybrid" controls, I don't understand the point of it and it makes my hand hurt after a while. I tried the Wii controls as an alternative but I didn't like them.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you just want to use gyro free aim while still using the right stick for the camera, you can do that! Set the control option to the twin stick one, then under "Camera" option, turn the gyro on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdebQ-y15Dg

My personal theme when dealing with literally any hardship in life. Scary driving, encounters with difficult people, doing taxes, etc.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's a firstpersoidvania

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

To the goon who was asking about this game, since they don't like FPS games; forget everything you know about your standard FPS. Then go and try Metroid Prime. You very well might like it. The feeling of satisfaction you get when you get a suit upgrade or power up that you've been looking for is :kiss:

It doesn't have a super high metacritic score for nothing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Minish Cap is so good. Can't believe I skipped over it when it was new, but now I get to play it with my daughter

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah but one of the hints you scan in that room is "The Elder's greatest power lies beyond the second lock." The second lock which is the Ice Beam, which you get two rooms after the Elder's Room. You're telling me you didn't make a beeline back there instantly as soon as you get the Ice Beam to see what kickass prize you can get?

Literally just did this and lmao that it's just a loving energy tank

Chozo ghosts are fine though like idk the big deal, just stand in one place charging beams and shoot them when they're visible and dodge occasionally

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

BigDumper posted:

I remember reading about Metroid Prime in Nintendo Power and they did describe it as a First Person Adventure game back then. But it came off as them just trying to make the game sound unique, which I thought was kind of dumb because it can be an FPS and also be a unique type of FPS. It’s not like they created a new genre or anything.

So it's unique but its not unique? If it managed to be a unique FPS at the time surely the descriptor FPS wasn't adequate and it totally did warrant a new genre title?

BTW to not be totally obtuse like yes the game could literally be described as an FPS but that obviously doesn't cover what it actually plays like. I think it defies a single label genre description but if you had to choose just one label FPS doesn't cut it and first person adventure comes closer.

AndrewP posted:

is Prey (2017) an FPS? I say... yes

but so is Wolf 3D so I guess that doesn't say a whole lot about the game!

Again, if you had to choose a single genre, immersive sim would get you most of the way with Prey.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Made a bunch of gifs from the new trailer. Enjoy nerds

https://i.imgur.com/znDAxZm.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Jwf7MfD.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/wGlMwVL.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/bZzEYbk.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/zx1a4C5.mp4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
first lock: ice beam
second lock: energy tank
third lock: chozo artifact

our greatest treasure...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Worth bearing in mind that this was the height of people taking console wars really seriously and Nintendo fans were super dismissive of the supposed mindless shooting games that rival consoles were putting out, so i imagine the whole first-person adventure thing was a way to reassure people that no, Metroid isn't jumping on the Halo wagon with its new Western developer, it's still a Metroid game first and foremost.

In retrospect I think it may have been better to lean into it and be like look, we can do a world class FPS as well and we're doing it our way - draw in the Halo fans and let the game quality speak for itself to the Metroid fans when it comes out. I suppose that's what they tried to do with 2 and 3 though lol

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Literally just did this and lmao that it's just a loving energy tank

Chozo ghosts are fine though like idk the big deal, just stand in one place charging beams and shoot them when they're visible and dodge occasionally

Hey man I need them Energy Tanks to not die! I am very bad at the game.

And the biggest problem I have with the ghosts is they disappear and break your lock on. Also if they hit you with their attacks, they not only break your lock on, but they also flinch you for several seconds AND kill your charge. And there's three of them in that room and they're all buzzing around and hitting you constantly and breaking your lock on and motherFUCKERS I just need to hit you with one Super Missile to end my pain loving DIE ALREADY gently caress.

I hate those things. HATE.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Speaking of super missiles my only problem with the Prime remake is that you need to press R and ZR to fire them. What the heck?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like people don’t really describe games as genres anymore anyway unless your specifically trying to define what a genre is.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

So it's unique but its not unique? If it managed to be a unique FPS at the time surely the descriptor FPS wasn't adequate and it totally did warrant a new genre title?

I didn’t say it’s not unique, it’s unique within an established genre. I don’t think it’s unique enough to make up an entire new genre name after it, but if you do then call it whatever you want. No one cares what you call it dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Immersive sim is the name people give boring FPS games