Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was a moderator here who was fired for some nonsense related to harry potter spoilers but i cant remember if its because he posted spoilers everywhere or if he went way overboard with punishing people for posting spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i remember they renamed fyad to "fyadumbledore dies and he is killed by snape" which was pretty funny

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I read the series as they came out. Likable but mediocre. Now they sit on the bookshelf in the bedroom, and if I have trouble falling asleep I'll grab one to read and be asleep in 10 minutes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Caesar Saladin posted:

i remember they renamed fyad to "fyadumbledore dies and he is killed by snape" which was pretty funny

Lmao

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

geeves posted:

Some people yelled "HERMIONE DIES!" to the line outside of our local Barnes and Noble party when the 5th book was released.

Does she?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have to put in significant mental effort to not think less of Harry Potter fans. I am not capable of that much mental effort.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

H.P. Lovecraft was a racist, but I'm still a fan of re-animater. J.K. Rowling is a transphobe, but I'm still a fan of frozen butter beer at universal studios

Lovecraft largely recanted his views on his deathbed, or at least in his lengthy, rambling letters to his writing friends, sent from his deathbed. He was strongly anti-Nazi, recognized that his past views essentially aligned with them, and called his younger self sheltered and ignorant. Mind, he firmly believed that Nazis would never, ever gain a foothold in the US, so he was still pretty sheltered.

And he died at 46, so Rowling's long past the same window and is definitely worse.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

H.P. Lovecraft was a racist, but I'm still a fan of re-animater. J.K. Rowling is a transphobe, but I'm still a fan of frozen butter beer at universal studios

If I buy an HP Lovecraft book his dead rear end isn't getting any money from it

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I read the first Harry Potter in middle school and I bounced right off of it. Fortunately Morrowind came out a while after that so my wizarding phase was mostly stealing an egg and promptly levitating 10 feet in the air to avoid the cops.

The 36 Lessons of Vivec made for good reading too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The first three books were ok for a kid... Then it started to go grimdark and downhill and when they got into doing wizard terrorism in the world of jumping chocolate frogs, I checked out. that was book 5 I believe?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I think the moment I fully realised the politics were wack was when all the students from the Bulgarian school were pretty much illiterate ogres who only communicated in grunts.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Harey potter is for babbies

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Your quest is to travel 100 years back in time and kill Harry Potters mom

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
'ARRY POTTA
YER A WIZARD HARRY

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
If I cared about this stupidity any more than popping into this thread to say holy poo poo who gives a gently caress I would probably walk to the local rubbish tip and close myself in an old fridge.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Piss Creep posted:

If I cared about this stupidity any more than popping into this thread to say holy poo poo who gives a gently caress I would probably walk to the local rubbish tip and close myself in an old fridge.

why not do both

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Piss Creep posted:

take your phone so you can tell us what it's like inside

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Me not having interest in pop-culture: :cool:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It would matter more if the game looked halfway decent. There are like 5 enemies total in the game; wolves, bad wizards, goblins, spiders, and zombie things. The open world is mostly pointless, and gets progressively more pointless the farther you get from Hogfarts. Like the literal bottom half of the world map has almost nothing going on in it. The caves and dungeons rival Oblivion in being cookie cutter mazes with nothing interesting at all in them. Oh poo poo, you found a new dungeon! And it's 20 feet long! And at the end you get.. a new hat that makes you look like a child predator.

The spell system had some thought put into it, but it doesn't matter much when combat is just fighting waves of enemies that all have about 2 attacks each. The end battle is a complete slog, saw that on a stream tonight. Avada Kedavra is in there, but with a long cooldown, so maybe you can get a trainer and turn off cooldowns or something so you can just run around one-shotting everything like Voldemort Jr.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was a wizard once, then I took a vingardium Leviosa to the knee

A little joke for the epic gamers out there

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I don't think that the average person who buys and plays the game is making a reprehensible moral choice (unless they're buying the game on purpose as a statement against "woke culture" or something), but I do think there's more reasons not to buy the game than there are reasons to buy the game and you probably shouldn't.

It's like shopping on Amazon. Every single purchase you make at Amazon makes the world a little bit worse, you should avoid shopping on Amazon, but you're not Hitler if you do shop there.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Applewhite posted:

I don't think that the average person who buys and plays the game is making a reprehensible moral choice (unless they're buying the game on purpose as a statement against "woke culture" or something)

anyone who does that is owning themselves far harder than they are any trans or jewish person. and will be for ever

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hog

warts

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

warts on ur hog

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I heard Harry Potter isn't even in this game, you play as his roommate or grandpa or something. Sounds like that would piss a lot of people off so I understand the controversy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hammerite posted:

anyone who does that is owning themselves far harder than they are any trans or jewish person. and will be for ever

They're the most pathetic kind of scumbag.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You play as Zack Fair. The kids are saying it's totally gay.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's a perfect example of how stupid and politicized everything must be nowadays. The game looks boring, JK Rowling is a huge piece of poo poo. But the average person is just saying "I want to play the Harry Potter game" without any more thought beyond that. I have no problem with that, just like I don't give a poo poo if you go to Universal Studios and ride the Harry Potter log flume or whatever.

But it's pretty funny to see these right-wing idiots talking about how great the game about magical children is just because the creator of the franchise is a transphobe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Streaming myself playing the Harry Potter game while running my unlit gas stove on full blast and chugging ivermectin to own the libs.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
fluming my log

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the more important question is whether the wizards should be allowed to say the c word

are they part of commonwealth culture or is the wizarding world its own distinct thing?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
They should have made a Bayside Legacy game where you play as Zack Morris.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Almost Smart posted:

You fight against an army of little people Slaters while Screech gives you advice, the ultimate weapon is a bowl of queso

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Almost Smart posted:

i’m gonna do a screech playthrough, i hear it’s like a nosferatu run in vampire the masquerade

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
Wired is right. This game literally looks like a 1/10 game. Now how it got to be one of the top viewed games on Steam of all time is depressing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's kinda cool how easy it is to grift

you just say "the nazis were right" then release a half-baked game. 2/3rds of the internet will boycott it and the other third will buy it no matter how bad it is to prove a point

that third will put the kids that disown you through college

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

Wtf is this poo poo. I thought this game would do horribly because it's objectively terrible. I hate gamers now

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

those other top selling games are ancient, so it doesn’t mean that much

no other big name releases right now

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Bad Purchase posted:

the more important question is whether the wizards should be allowed to say the c word

are they part of commonwealth culture or is the wizarding world its own distinct thing?

There's one Australian wizard named Dingo Barbie and all of his spells hilariously "boomerang" back to hit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just finished playing the middle-earth: shadow of whatever games and they were fuckin awesome, really enjoyed them

so i looked up what other games the studio makes and now im in a lot of trouble