Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just had a leaver in about 6 games in a row and went from plat 4 tank last season to silver 5 in this one. Every single game this season has been weirdly massively one sided and I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

F.D. Signifier posted:

And then they made Kiriko who counters everything with her suzu

The amount of time kiriko has hosed up my gravs as Zarya with Suzu is insane. And this is with dragon and pulse bombs that are supposed to confirm kills too. A cooldown can shut down 2 ults. Someone make that make sense.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jimbot posted:

Something needs to counter bionic grenade. If they removed the later the former wouldn't be needed.

It could just remove effects and keep its healing and still be powerful. That it also prevents all damage is what takes it over the edge.
That would take it from 'counters every ult" to just "counters half of all ults"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Just had a leaver in about 6 games in a row and went from plat 4 tank last season to silver 5 in this one. Every single game this season has been weirdly massively one sided and I'm not sure why.

The DPS queue times are super short now.

It's probably a coinkidink.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

It could just remove effects and keep its healing and still be powerful. That it also prevents all damage is what takes it over the edge.
That would take it from 'counters every ult" to just "counters half of all ults"

Yeah, as a burst heal I think it's perfect but it's the anti-heal that makes it too powerful.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
DPS queues are being very short on a sunday - the matchmaking is all over the place.
I don't really get how this is sustainable though, this situation is simply going to move the type of player I represent (bronze-silver) towards other games

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I've burned out on this quite a bit after pushing for the Titan title (level 200 bp) last season. I've just had a days long series of games that were absolute stomps, with a few in my favour but mostly against. The fairer games were rare and every one of them felt so hard that I was absolutely wrung out afterwards.

I firmly believe that people saying "it's fine, natural variance" are people playing this game at a level where a high level sort has already weeded out the population in their matches so there's less randomness. There's never perfect matches so they think they're still seeing the worst of it. They don't understand this poo poo.

The fundamental design of this game is snowbally. Little variances make a big difference and big variances destroy matches with no possibility of carrying on DPS or especially support unless the diff in skill on the part of the carry is so great that that player should not theoretically be in the same match as their team mates.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I said it a few pages back, but I don't think this game can ever have good matchmaking. It was hard enough in OW1 because of all the genre-confusion going on, but in OW2 where you've taken a 2-2-2 role set and made it 1-2-2 there is a fundamental imbalance. There are way too many variables going on in matchmaking to account for having an accurate rating for 10 different players in one game, let alone when 2 of those players are in a position that is fundamentally unequal to the other 8. Also consider that depending on the playstyle and team comp of any 10 of those players, any role group subset of those 10 in any given game might be more important for that particular game. You'd literally need several matchmaking values for each player for each role that are spider-webbed together with variables that are cross-referenced with the opponents to ever have unequivocally fair matchmaking in this dumpster fire of a system. If that sounds ludicrous and impossible, that's because it probably is.

This of course matters way less at really high ranks like Grandmaster+ where most players have way more adaptability, versatility, and understanding of what needs to be done in any given game. Even then though, there is a problem with finding that many players on equal footing. You have terrible games when you have t500 players in games with masters players, for example, because the t500 players expect too much of the masters players. The game is a headache, to truly enjoy it you really have to have an extreme level of patience and be willing to accept that a large percentage of the time you play in a competitive mode will be essentially unplayable if you are playing specifically for the win.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mister Fister posted:

The amount of time kiriko has hosed up my gravs as Zarya with Suzu is insane. And this is with dragon and pulse bombs that are supposed to confirm kills too. A cooldown can shut down 2 ults. Someone make that make sense.

Yeah well I imagine a lot of times your opponents have been trying to just generally exist but then you hosed it up for them with your gravs.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah well I imagine a lot of times your opponents have been trying to just generally exist but then you hosed it up for them with your gravs.

:hmmyes:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Matchmaking is not something that normally bothers me that much. But today in QP I got matched against someone sporting a top 500 title. I'm silver on my best days, so what the flying christfuck. Something like that should never happen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Matchmaking is not something that normally bothers me that much. But today in QP I got matched against someone sporting a top 500 title. I'm silver on my best days, so what the flying christfuck. Something like that should never happen.

i will say, in fairness, that casual modes generally cannot be balanced well to account for average skill levels across the entire team, since the ability to queue parties leads to a necessary tradeoff between game quality and queue time that developers have to make. if you've got someone playing with their 4 bronze MMR friends as a GM, then the system is going to either be stuck there forever or will have to try and create some kind of distorted average casual MMR, especially if that GM player has bad casual MMR to begin with (due to playing ranked almost exclusively)

even league, which has pretty good matchmaking and a much wider pool of people to draw from, can't avoid this, as i can attest that my extremely gold rear end pretty regularly gets matched against challenger-tier players and occasionally even legit pro players when doing casual games

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TBF a lot of players with top 500 tags are top 500 3v3 or whatever modes. Lucioball. That sort of stuff.

Every season with the mmr reset seems to do weird stuff tho so who knows

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

TBF a lot of players with top 500 tags are top 500 3v3 or whatever modes. Lucioball. That sort of stuff.

Every season with the mmr reset seems to do weird stuff tho so who knows

Okay, I'll admit I didn't know it could be from something like that. I suppose that makes it a little less hosed up.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Double post, but I finally earned my Medic title.

Now to never heal again for a while.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I watch a ton of videos about tier lists in OW2, and I never feel like they apply to lower ranks. I'm in gold as dps and I got there using Bastion and Mei who always seem to be the bottom of tier lists. I get that they do not do so great if the other team knows how to counter, but at lower ranks that never happens. Tanks constantly dive too far and get wrecked when I use a wall to cut them off from their supports, and they will stay in open space and get killed by Bastion in turret mode. I'll switch up as soon as people are better than that, but I haven't seen it yet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah certain ranks are ruled by certain champs, things like Pharmacy rule gold because gold level dps can't/have trouble with shooting a flying target that sort of thing. Tier lists assume things like "can you headshot this person reliably" "are you working even slightly as a team"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Any hero that gets hard countered by shooting them in the head is gonna be way better at lower ranks.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

It's been a joy to improve with ashe to the level where i can reliably bully anyone who is a little out of position, or chain headshot a tank who is naded or discorded. It's funny when you can tell theyre just pinging the hell out of you so give em a little space and hope someone overextends and gets clobbered. Ive been playing with a reliable tank buddy and it's been a blast. When i don't hate this game i kinda love it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Astrochicken posted:

It's been a joy to improve with ashe to the level where i can reliably bully anyone who is a little out of position, or chain headshot a tank who is naded or discorded. It's funny when you can tell theyre just pinging the hell out of you so give em a little space and hope someone overextends and gets clobbered. Ive been playing with a reliable tank buddy and it's been a blast. When i don't hate this game i kinda love it.

Have any tips or advice for getting better with her? Ashe's kit is one of my favorites in the game but I won't lie when I say I feel pretty terrible at playing her most of the time.

I'm pretty bad in general but I specifically want to get better with her.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 13, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

With Ashe it is all about positioning and aim.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jimbot posted:

Something needs to counter bionic grenade. If they removed the later the former wouldn't be needed.

Zarya/Dva/Shields all counter nade, you just have to pay attention.

Zarya even cleanses it if you gently caress up.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Have any tips or advice for getting better with her? Ashe's kit is one of my favorites in the game but I won't lie when I say I feel pretty terrible at playing her most of the time.

1. ideally position where you can shoot around the enemy tank into the enemy squishies while still getting quick support from your healers. prefer a different angle from your main tank.
2. play near cover so that if you're low health you can tuck and not be in the open.
3. use bob as soon as you can in a close or even team fight once both teams are clashing. don't use bob if the team fight is already lost or won. try to place bob looking into the cover the enemy squishies want to be or right behind their enemy tank.
4. use dynamite on the enemy squishies as much as you can off cooldown.

meta tips:
1. have a usable mouse sensitivity between 15 and 50 cm/360.
2. focus on improving your own gameplay and not your teammates.
3. focus on just one thing to improve on constantly as you play and get better at that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ashe's recoil and LDS is such that, you can track an enemy unscoped, confirm where their head is, and rapidly scope and tag it. Unlike Widow, you can track your shots and still put out your more effective damage. Your old friend the meat shot returns on the coach gun.

Ashe was really frustrating for me to try and figure out, but once I did, man, she can be strong when you're hot. I can't think of too many characters where I will see their entire kit come out in the same PotG.

Personally, any time I queue up for a match, I run drills with my intended character in training mode until the match starts, just to get a better sense of how my guns work, and how much damage they can do in which angles/distances. Try doing this to get a sense of how her damage works between rapidly scoping and unscoping, and how to nail a hefty blast with the carriage gun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like Ashe because when an Ashe two shots me I feel like I was out of position or that I got outplayed.

I pretty much never feel like that if i'm not playing tank, against a widow and she fly's halfway across the map before taking me out mid air.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dogstile posted:

I like Ashe because when an Ashe two shots me I feel like I was out of position or that I got outplayed.

I pretty much never feel like that if i'm not playing tank, against a widow and she fly's halfway across the map before taking me out mid air.

Do you feel outplayed if she kills you with her machine gun, melee, and mine?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I feel outplayed when she whispers in everyone's ears one second before eating an unrelated ult

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dogstile posted:

Widow just makes me consider sightlines, and you know what? That's fine.

Sojourn tho, she can get hosed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i feel like i can usually hear a rando widow hook from pretty far away and can just tuck my head hitbox

i feel pretty robbed though when i feel like i get a noreg on the enemy sound indicators and my dome gets seemingly popped out of nowhere. maybe i should record and see if it really was a noreg.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, if i'm that close and she's done that, that's on me tbh. Other characters have the kit where they should be winning there.

It's kinda like hanzo arrows. No matter the elo, it just feels kinda lovely to get hit by.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Widow just makes me consider sightlines, and you know what? That's fine.

Sojourn tho, she can get hosed.

Sure, but my point is that sometimes you can consider sightlines and it won't matter because she'll fly across the sky and get you anyway.

Not that its impossible to play around, i've won games by convincing people to just stop peeking, it's just an annoying minigame.

This isn't a rant on her effectiveness or if she's meta/whatever. I just hate her :v:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 13, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Decided to play DPS for the first time in like 200 matches.

We got a 2 point on a payload map swapped to defense lost the first point VERY fast which made a teammate quit.

So we held the line and ended up winning a very intense 4v5

I was Pharah and it was a loving blast. Just smoking people left and right. Great team. Ended up going like 43/10/8. I even got two Pharah specific achievements!

Then I tried DPS again and went 2/0/15

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just have a lot of fun with the character, and I wish playing her well didn't ruin everyone else's fun, because then they bend themselves backward to ruin my fun, and it feels less like a fun game, and more like an argument in game form. It often feels like the better I personally play, the worse this gets. And people will say they want me to work harder or that they should just deal with sight lines or whatever, but if I am tagging folks from odd angles, or behind or midair or on the point or whatever, the response just gets even harsher. Widow is difficult. You have to be creative and brave and willing to scrum with someone with your machine gun if you want to have an impact other than just making the game take longer.

I can play just as well on other characters, quite a bit better on a few, and I never get near the same backlash, no matter how hard I am cooking.

I don't have this problem with anyone else, and I never had the same problem with rolling Sniper in TF2. What about Overwatch makes the experience so terrible?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

people just really hate sniper archetypes in video games b/c it usually involves changing the way you normally play to deal with it

i'm personally fine w/ snipers if they have a bunch of other disadvantages to go along w/ it which widow usually does in ow. sojourn is an example of a sniper archetype that doesn't come with the 'sniper' disadvantages

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rezzing a junkrat who got sniped while spamming choke only for him to walk right back to his former grave and get sniper again.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Rezzing a junkrat who got sniped while spamming choke only for him to walk right back to his former grave and get sniper again.

Obviously the Junkrat needed to display that they're just as capable of area denial as the sniper by dropping their most powerful attack (suicide vest) twice in a row.

I'm sorry you weren't able to appreciate the 8th dimensional chess match.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mind over Matter posted:

Get to high ground and never leave

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you're on high ground shooting at people who can shoot back, shoot so you can only see like half their body or less

on their screen they see just a tiny sliver and it's really hard to deal with!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

I don't have this problem with anyone else, and I never had the same problem with rolling Sniper in TF2. What about Overwatch makes the experience so terrible?

I absolutely went out of my way to gently caress Snipers over in TF2 as well so it's not much different in OW. I think the big differences are being role-locked and also many maps in OW (particularly OW1) are too linear and designed with barriers in mind, so there's not enough obvious alternate pathways. Widow is in many ways more powerful than the TF2 sniper as well, since she has a grappling hook and doesn't telegraph her presence with a laser dot even if it was easy to hide it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also part of the reason people play OW2 is to get away from one shot headshot sniper instant deaths that plague many other FPSs, Widowmaker is just the new generation of AWPers in a game even less designed to accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

socialsecurity posted:

Playing a single season of OW2 comp is all the taste I needed, slumming it in low plat. I don't know how/if they'll ever circumvent games feeling a fair bit more stompy in either direction for OW2. I'm only really looking forward to the PvE stuff this year now -- it's coming out this year, right? Lol. Oh god if it ends up being bad, just...

:negative: