Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Is avast being paranoid about this or have I actually got a nasty on my computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jaguars! posted:

Is avast being paranoid about this or have I actually got a nasty on my computer?

Without knowing your system, here's a few quick questions: (I apologize if some of them are basic, but troubleshooting assumes lowest common denominator)

Do you have Citrix Receiver installed on your machine? Did you or your employer install it? Was it a recent install or has it been on your system for a while? Did you install any other, potentially questionable, software recently?

If you don't use Citrix, or remember installing it, then this is almost certainly a nasty and should be quarantined. Similarly, if you installed some "free" software from a questionable source, it might have had something hitch a ride that is impersonating Citrix. Get rid of it.

If you are using Citrix, (because your employer directed you to use that to work remotely) and you installed it recently, Avast might be over zealous. If you haven't had to update Citrix previously, Avast might see it as a threat. If you've had it for a while, and been keeping it up to date regularly, and this is the first time the updater is triggering Avast, it might be more suspicious. The pathing in your screenshot looks legit, but that's part of how these things work.

If you want to be safe, assuming you use Citrix, quarantine this file, Open Citrix and try and do an update or check for updates. If the update works, Avast was doing it's job correctly and it found an impersonator. If the update fails with some kind of "File not found" error, then Avast was being paranoid, and you should be able to take it out of quarantine, and restore it back to the location in this screenshot. Try the update again, and it should work. Worst case scenario, you might have to do a full uninstall/reinstall of Citrix Receiver.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a situation where I have a family member in Asia who needs to speak with someone in the US but requires my assistance in being on the call (I am in Spain at the moment).

What's the best situation here? Ideally I would like to call the number while I have my family member on the line since he does not have a phone capable of making international calls to the US.

Is there a way we can use Skype or Google Voice here?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Busy Bee posted:

I have a situation where I have a family member in Asia who needs to speak with someone in the US but requires my assistance in being on the call (I am in Spain at the moment).

What's the best situation here? Ideally I would like to call the number while I have my family member on the line since he does not have a phone capable of making international calls to the US.

Is there a way we can use Skype or Google Voice here?

Google Meet (or some equivalent video chat website like https://meet.jit.si) seems like it would probably be the easiest option. Just create a meeting and invite the other two people to join it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Google Meet (or some equivalent video chat website like https://meet.jit.si) seems like it would probably be the easiest option. Just create a meeting and invite the other two people to join it.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the party in the US is a business with a toll free number.

edit: Okay, I think I figured it out. I will use Skype to first call the toll free US number and then I will have my family member logged into Skype on his computer where I can add him as a participant to the call.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 9, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's when the water/toothpaste touches the teeth, is my understanding. The fluoride binds to the calcium in the teeth and forms an acid-resistant enamel, or something like that.

:actually: in children, ingested/systemic fluoride gets passed into the developing buds of the adult teeth. My dentist and pediatrician both told me this is arguably of even greater benefit than the surface application from toothpaste or from goop at the dentist. My 4 year old takes prescription chewable fluoride tablets nightly because my city doesn't fluoridate water.

Also I grew up in a town that does fluoridate water, and my dental hygienist and dentist here said immediately that they could tell i didn't grow up locally and must have had fluoridated water as a child.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Without knowing your system, here's a few quick questions: (I apologize if some of them are basic, but troubleshooting assumes lowest common denominator)

Do you have Citrix Receiver installed on your machine? Did you or your employer install it? Was it a recent install or has it been on your system for a while? Did you install any other, potentially questionable, software recently?

If you don't use Citrix, or remember installing it, then this is almost certainly a nasty and should be quarantined. Similarly, if you installed some "free" software from a questionable source, it might have had something hitch a ride that is impersonating Citrix. Get rid of it.

If you are using Citrix, (because your employer directed you to use that to work remotely) and you installed it recently, Avast might be over zealous. If you haven't had to update Citrix previously, Avast might see it as a threat. If you've had it for a while, and been keeping it up to date regularly, and this is the first time the updater is triggering Avast, it might be more suspicious. The pathing in your screenshot looks legit, but that's part of how these things work.

If you want to be safe, assuming you use Citrix, quarantine this file, Open Citrix and try and do an update or check for updates. If the update works, Avast was doing it's job correctly and it found an impersonator. If the update fails with some kind of "File not found" error, then Avast was being paranoid, and you should be able to take it out of quarantine, and restore it back to the location in this screenshot. Try the update again, and it should work. Worst case scenario, you might have to do a full uninstall/reinstall of Citrix Receiver.

Thanks, I do have citrix though I've been holding off upgrading it due to an incident last year where an upgrade broke another program we use regularly. I'll check it out when there's not a cyclone bearing down on me :/

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Should I go to the Emergency Room?

Short version:

Here is a picture of my right hand, a not beautiful but generally healthy looking hand.

And here's my left hand!

I took a spill on Sunday night and had some swelling on this hand the next day. Couple days ago I went to Urgent Care, they said there was no broken bones on account that there was no pain. I can't move my pinky left or right, have no feeling in my thumb and most of the hand is either numb or it just, well, feels extremely swollen. I can't form a grip, for instance. But the swelling, I think, is increasing if anything.

Long version: Sunday night I blacked out from something that is still (((very mysterious))) and spent the cold night on my neighbor's porch. Urgent Care says it was either a seizure, a concussion or a stroke. They said probably not a concussion because I'm still alive and don't have any headaches, although I have amnesia and couldn't keep food or water down for days, which is more in line with concussion. I'm only 38, so I sure hope it wasn't a stroke, BUT the left half of my tongue is numb, my left thumb is numb, and my left foot is numb. However, when I fell (I have no memory) I landed hard on my left side, so it kinda fits with why it would be numb?

Okay so basically, the thing is, I went to Urgent Care, I was seen by a real doctor with presumably a lot of fuckin experience. I know jack-all about biology or medicine. If this guy says I'm fine, should I take him at his word? Like, who the gently caress am I to say he's wrong? But now I don't know. I don't have a primary care provider, so it's ER or try to make an appointment. But my hand is already pretty blobby -- I had like 1.1 good hands at work all day today.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yes you should see a doctor for that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Yeah I should go. On my way to the ER!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope you can keep fingat. Also that you didn’t have a stroke.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why does it take 8-11 weeks to renew a US passport??? Aren't they just printing out a new book?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a queue.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also what are you going to do, go to the other passport store?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

There's a queue.

That's still a bit ridiculous, isn't it? Are there only like a dozen people making the passports for the entire country? Here in Canada you can have it renewed inside two weeks.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hard to sell expedited passport turn around times if it isn't an eon in the first place

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lol, even better:

quote:

On February 7 at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, we temporarily closed our online renewal service to new customers. We plan to reopen the portal to new customers in March.

I think they made it too easy, getting printed photos was an actual deterrent and the online renewals avoids that.

Also, the site to check on your passport status is down.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm generally asexusl/aromatic, so this hasn't come up for me personally, but what are the do's and don't of coworkers dating? Is it universally frowned upon? Should it be on the down low? What factors might alternate social dynamics?

Just curious, thank you!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm generally asexusl/aromatic, so this hasn't come up for me personally, but what are the do's and don't of coworkers dating? Is it universally frowned upon? Should it be on the down low? What factors might alternate social dynamics?

Just curious, thank you!

If you're popular around the office everyone will think it's sweet. If you have office enemies they will use it against you. But they can die mad about it.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm somewhat aromatic myself

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

Just curious, thank you!

It’s a bad idea because what if you break up? Also, having to work together might strain a strong and good relationship. I guess do it if the job doesn’t mean anything to you and the relationship might be good enough that you’d leave your job to preserve it.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Your age, and how serious a job it is, probably matters a lot. High school kids working at Burger King dating? Sure why not. If you work in entertainment, it's almost to be expected. But like, a big boy office job? That can get dicey.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 12, 2023

Chick Counterfly
Jan 9, 2023

by Hand Knit
It's basically fine unless it's a boss/employee thing, in which case it's pretty frowned upon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I’ve dated in the work environment a couple times. Some it was in high school, and really who cares there. Other times it was seriously during my career, and for one we were in completely different departments and didn’t directly interact much for our job functions. The other we waited till neither of us worked there anymore. I had a close encounter with someone who i was their supervisor and I am very glad I decided not to act on the potential encounter. It would have the potential to make things super awkward.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Is there a scrapbooking forum? I used to have a fancy paper cutting machine - a Boss Kut Gazelle - that I gave away to a friend. Turns out that I never gave her the software to run it, and I most likely threw it out. The company website is currently owned by squatters and there's no recent mention of it on any other forum I can find, so I have no idea how to get a copy. Any ideas?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Have you tried checking out previous versions of the website on archive.org?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chick Counterfly posted:

It's basically fine unless it's a boss/employee thing, in which case it's pretty frowned upon.

it really depends on the job. some specific do workplaces have a policy against it.

in part of my job i tour with actors and musicians and hooking up with other people in the group while on tour is expressly verboten unless you are already in some kind of relationship with them, entirely regardless of whether its a boss/employee thing or not. the potential for drama is just far too high and no one wants to live in a van with that

also whether it's "allowed" or not, the degree to which it's ok likely depends on how closely you work with the person in question. if it's someone on your team or who sits next to you in an office or just someone you have to interact with and get stuff done with on a daily basis, it's probably not the best idea because the chances of it all going to hell and you still having to be around that person every single day are pretty high. if it's someone who you just see or work with sometimes or only on certain projects it's not as big of a deal and you can probably make it work even if it turns sour.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 12, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

As a former manager in the service industry, employees boning or dating was a massive pain in the rear end. Drama and missed work days or worse, talented employees leaving and shitbags staying. Wasn’t really possible to stop it but I wish I could.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been wondering about this for years:
The famously poorly-dubbed 70's Japanese TV adaptation of the 16th c. novel Journey Into the West, titled Monkey, aired in Australia during the 80's and 90's.
The show's opening monologue includes the line, "the nature of Monkey was irrepressible." (Monkey here being the legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong.)
My question is, does this line mean that Monkey's essential essence could not be repressed, OR THAT the essence of Monkey could be defined as a certain state or quality of irrepressibility? Is this ambiguity present in the original Japanese monologue too?
Thanks thread.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I plan on initiating a larger than usual wire transfer from my one online banking account to my own investment account with a different company. The usual electronic funds transfer is not available due to the limit so I have to do a wire transfer.

With this, it got me to thinking on how do banks know the wire request is legitimate or not. Since it will be going from my own personal account to my other one (all with the same information) - I'm assuming both parties share private information to initiate and confirm the wire?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tree Bucket posted:

The famously poorly-dubbed 70's Japanese TV adaptation of the 16th c. novel Journey Into the West, titled Monkey, aired in Australia during the 80's and 90's.
The show's opening monologue includes the line, "the nature of Monkey was irrepressible." (Monkey here being the legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong.)
My question is, does this line mean that Monkey's essential essence could not be repressed, OR THAT the essence of Monkey could be defined as a certain state or quality of irrepressibility? Is this ambiguity present in the original Japanese monologue too?
Thanks thread.

I would very much like to know the answer to this as well! (monkey magic - OOOoooh!)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have nothing clever to add except that the first episode is as good a retelling of Monkey's origin story as you're ever going to get.

Also that the Australian Xena-level Monkey show they made a few years back wasn't bad and has about a million callbacks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tree Bucket posted:

Thanks thread.

I have no answer for you, but your post made me realize I may have read something when I was a child that either adapts or heavily references Journey to the West? It was this series of books titled... I think it started with Dragon Steel, then Dragon Cauldron. I forget the others. Dragon Cauldron was basically a retelling of The Black Cauldron (where there was this super powerful evil cauldron and one character had to willingly sacrifice themselves by jumping into it). But there was also a monkey character who I always thought was out of place among the others? He had a staff, and took hairs off his tail to do magic. It now occurs to me he may have been Sun Wukong. He was just called "Monkey" in the story.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Brut posted:

Is the benefit to dental health provided by fluoride in the water delivered when the water touches the teeth or do you actually need to ingest it and have it be processed by your body through digestion?

For you, it’s the tooth contact.

For children who are still growing teeth, ingestion is important.

Brut posted:

Joke's on them, I basically only drink water anyway, it's mostly bottled water though which is why I was wondering if maybe I should drink some tap water once in a while as well.

Is the "slightly bad for bones" part from ingestion? Cuz if so then if I'm only using the tap water for teeth brushing, I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds.

You’re not getting much fluoride from the water used in toothbrushing. You get way more from fluoridated toothpaste.

Dentists can hook you up with prescription‐strength fluoride toothpaste that’s stronger than is sold at the store. The prescription requirement exists so that kids don’t eat it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have a question about general police practices. I recently saw some body cam footage that seemed odd to me. A woman called the cops because as she was getting home, she thought she saw someone moving around inside her home. The cops show up, announce themselves, and go walking through the house looking for an intruder. But at no point did anyone turn on a light to see better, and that struck me as odd.

They do this all the time on police shows, If it's night, and the lights are off, they leave the lights off and navigate using flashlights only. There are times where this makes sense. If there is no power to the building, obviously. It's also good for drama. But does this happen in reality? Is the idea that if the suspect doesn't know that you are coming, they are less likely to be armed and ready to attack the cops? But if that's the case, why announce that you are there?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Silver Falcon posted:

I have no answer for you, but your post made me realize I may have read something when I was a child that either adapts or heavily references Journey to the West? It was this series of books titled... I think it started with Dragon Steel, then Dragon Cauldron. I forget the others. Dragon Cauldron was basically a retelling of The Black Cauldron (where there was this super powerful evil cauldron and one character had to willingly sacrifice themselves by jumping into it). But there was also a monkey character who I always thought was out of place among the others? He had a staff, and took hairs off his tail to do magic. It now occurs to me he may have been Sun Wukong. He was just called "Monkey" in the story.

I remember those books! The first one was Dragon of the Lost Sea by Laurence Yep, I think my school library had those. The author started out as wanting to adapt a story about Sun Wukong but it turned into a four book series about dragons apparently.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I have a question about general police practices. I recently saw some body cam footage that seemed odd to me. A woman called the cops because as she was getting home, she thought she saw someone moving around inside her home. The cops show up, announce themselves, and go walking through the house looking for an intruder. But at no point did anyone turn on a light to see better, and that struck me as odd.

They do this all the time on police shows, If it's night, and the lights are off, they leave the lights off and navigate using flashlights only. There are times where this makes sense. If there is no power to the building, obviously. It's also good for drama. But does this happen in reality? Is the idea that if the suspect doesn't know that you are coming, they are less likely to be armed and ready to attack the cops? But if that's the case, why announce that you are there?

Holding the light source means that you can see and the other party can't. Turning the lights on might make for better visibility but cops usually prefer to have a strategic advantage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YggiDee posted:

I remember those books! The first one was Dragon of the Lost Sea by Laurence Yep, I think my school library had those. The author started out as wanting to adapt a story about Sun Wukong but it turned into a four book series about dragons apparently.

Hot drat! Yeah that was them! I got them from my library. I think I even read the bit about the author starting out telling a story about Sun Wukong, but stupid kid me didn't know who that was. Maybe I should give them a re-read now that I am an adult who can get references...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

Holding the light source means that you can see and the other party can't. Turning the lights on might make for better visibility but cops usually prefer to have a strategic advantage.

In addition to this, the light is also a weapon. Lots of those law enforcement flashlights are so bright that they're blinding even in daylight, which is intentional. It's a good way to give the cop an extra second to, hypothetically, descalate the situation, but in real life it's a good moment to take stock of the deniability of the murder self defence and robbery civil asset forfeiture they're about to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Don't discount the fact cops are doing a lot of poo poo because they saw it on TV and thought it looked bad rear end too.