Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lucasar posted:

Don't think I've ever seen Shohozan smile before.
I didn't immediately recognize who that was on the left, though I knew I knew him. I figured I could try matching his face to smiling photos of rikishi, given the distinctive dimples. Then I realized there aren't a ton of photos of rikishi smiling. :(

Thankfully Ichiyamamoto is freer with his smiles than most. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Who's everyone's favorite rikishi who isn't hot poo poo? By "hot poo poo" I mean Y/O guys like Takakeisho or Harumafuji, or fan favorites/up-and-comers like Ura or Hoshoryu. Someone like Tamawashi is probably hot poo poo (2 yusho and all), and someone like Endo used to be hot poo poo, but isn't really currently.

A year ago I would have said Kotonowaka, but he's beginning to approach "hot poo poo" territory. If not him, I'd say Nishikigi. He's a solid, strong wrestler, and I like how unassuming he is. I'm also amused that part of why he tries to fight so close on the belt is that he's extremely near-sighted without glasses. My former favorite like this was Yoshikaze (now Nakamura-oyakata), because of how friendly he appeared to be in contrast with what a crazy berserker he was in the ring.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
CHIYOMARU AND TOKOSHORYU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

CHIYOMARU AND TOKOSHORYU

this is the correct answer until time stops.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a pretty good answer tbh

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Hokutofuji is always fun to watch, I'm assuming Tobizaru counts as a fan favorite so I can't pick him. hmmm, I enjoyed Yago's matches a lot while he was coming up through Juryo, before he got injured so much it took him not only back down to Juryo, but now down to Makushita.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

verbal enema posted:

watching Jason's latest video and he's talking some about Hakuho's retirement ceremony and all that.

I didn't know that whatever profit that event makes goes directly to Hakuho that is nuts. I'm curious to how much that ended up being

Apparently the going rate for the privilege of snipping a few of his hairs was $10k, according to Chris. Special cases might have gotten a discount, but that's a hell of a lot more than average. (Ozeki might charge $500, a rank-and-file more like $200.)

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Kenning posted:

Who's everyone's favorite rikishi who isn't hot poo poo? By "hot poo poo" I mean Y/O guys like Takakeisho or Harumafuji, or fan favorites/up-and-comers like Ura or Hoshoryu. Someone like Tamawashi is probably hot poo poo (2 yusho and all), and someone like Endo used to be hot poo poo, but isn't really currently.

A year ago I would have said Kotonowaka, but he's beginning to approach "hot poo poo" territory. If not him, I'd say Nishikigi. He's a solid, strong wrestler, and I like how unassuming he is. I'm also amused that part of why he tries to fight so close on the belt is that he's extremely near-sighted without glasses. My former favorite like this was Yoshikaze (now Nakamura-oyakata), because of how friendly he appeared to be in contrast with what a crazy berserker he was in the ring.

Up until recently (he seems to be on the way down) I always got a kick out of Takarafuji's relentless consistency. I feel like between him and Aminishiki you can account for a lot of the success of the Isegahama guys; you had the most tricky and experienced guy in Aminishiki and the incredibly conservative style of Takarafuji and I feel like between the two of those training partners you had a perfect anvil on which to hammer out a coupla yokozunae.

Also Hokutofuji never seems to lack for motivation in the ring, which is nice to see.

And I'll add Takanosho as a guy who seems ridiculously physically solid, he just lacks the offensive weapons to rack up wins on the reg.

I'm more interested in who pisses people off. I hate Ryuden and Kagayaki. Ryuden games the tachi-ai and gets tons of mattas and Kagayaki picked the wrong style of sumo for his body and is possibly the slowest guy in top division outside Ichinojo. Kagayaki fights like Mitakeumi, but is shaped like Tochinoshin and it doesn't really work.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've always liked Takarafuji's whole 'sumo salaryman' thing. Dude's been floating in the upper maegashira for the better part of a decade. Went up into the sanyaku a few times, hit the double digits a few times, but most of the last 10 years has been spent somewhere between M1-9.

As for the rikishi that piss me off, I guess it's any of the smaller rikishi whose gameplans seem to consist of doing this number, but with leg throws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SoKWLkmLU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kotoekou and Hokutofuji are my standard non-hot shitter faves.

Kotoekou because he wore a recognizable and unique mawashi color, early on, and I always root for him now.

Hokutofuji because he always just goes for it, and because he just bleeds so drat much. The poor guy.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's an endearingly "hapless everyman" that surrounds Hokutofuji that I really appreciate.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Kotoeko is a personal favorite of mine. He's a small dude but is absolutely jacked and he seems to never give up, which leads to some exciting bouts.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 13, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Lid posted:

CHIYOMARU AND TOKOSHORYU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I have a soft ot for Kagayaki. He's pretty bad, but he was one of the first lower rankers I recognized when I started watching because his gold mawashi was cool.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My main man Hokutofuji. Love the guy. Just gonna go ahead and quote myself

Beeswax posted:

Respect Hokutofuji, greatest pre-tachiai moves in the biz. From the big pat-down to the deep breath (pictured) to the foot planting to the weight-shifting idle-animation squat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man that sucks about the Youtube accounts, I really enjoyed Kintamayama's commentary.

Really wishing I hadn't sat on my backlog for so long :(

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hokutofuji and Kotoeko for me. Both of them go absolutely full out in every match, every time. I love it, even when it honestly doesn't work very well. Both of them are like the anti-Shodai.

I have a minor soft spot lately for Sadanoumi too, who has been on a consistent streak lately after years of bouncing between upper juryo and lower maegashira.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

Kotoeko is a personal favorite of mine. He's a small dude but it's absolutely jacked and he seems to never give up, which leads to some exciting bouts.

That and he wins/loses gracefully.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

ullerrm posted:

I have a minor soft spot lately for Sadanoumi too, who has been on a consistent streak lately after years of bouncing between upper juryo and lower maegashira.

drat you beat me to my 'no expectations' pick - his entire affect is a bored office worker who looks mildly concerned about meeting a deadline and his opponent is going to try to send an email derailing the project. Before his disease flared up I always loved watching Ishiura because it was funny seeing someone who was just bodybuilder yoked fighting against all of the people more built for functional strength and finding a way to win with speed and guile.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best part about Sadanoumi is that he looks unathletic in the most unassuming way. Sure you got guys like Akiseyama who may be less athletic due to their plain weird proportions, but Sadanoumi is recognisable by how plain and pasty he is. Just a guy who goes to the gym once a week and spends a lot of time binging on netflix series.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I don't know if Tochinoshin counts, but I like his little gremlin walk.

I like Onosho because he tucks a little salt in his mawashi, but he's doing pretty well so he doesn't count.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I like Onosho because he tucks a little salt in his mawashi, but he's doing pretty well so he doesn't count.

that kicks rear end

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Hell yeah Kotoeko! Great to see he's popular.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I don't know if Tochinoshin counts, but I like his little gremlin walk.

I think in this game, tochi is the anti-Hoshoryu/Kotonowaka. Would have been considered hot poo poo a couple years ago but might not be any more as he drops down.

I think for me personally, he wouldn't count as he's always going to be the monster he was in his prime, but I'd say for someone newer who only knows him as the former star trying to hang on he'd count.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

QuasiQuack posted:

Hell yeah Kotoeko! Great to see he's popular.

I know that heavier is generally better, but the guys about the 140kg are often the best mix of ripped and roly-poly. Asashoryu was 145 or so, from memory.

Sadly, Kotoeko's rise coincided with Kotoshohiku's decline. Kotoeko was his tsukebito til he made juryo.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My favourite Guy is Myogiryu, I often forget he exists but I'm always happy to see him win :)

Just a sumo Guy, making up the numbers and somehow consistently competing at the highest level.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1625416133556727808

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A haiku for the occasion:

Late Valentine's gift:
all the rikishi born in
mid-November (lots)

eta: Oh, and happy birthday to Oho, who's 23 today!

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 14, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Sumo with a long post about the banned channels

quote:

Hello everyone,

In light of recent channel takedowns, I'm concerned that important issues are going undiscussed. For me, the focus really has to shift from "how does YouTube Sumo defy NHK?" to "how does YouTube Sumo gain approval?" As seemingly the only independent channel in any language to have relations with both the sumo association and NHK, it might be useful for me to share my experience. Here's what I feel is the essential five-point checklist to guard against any potential problems regarding a YouTube Sumo channel.

(1) Is everybody in my inner circle ok with what I'm doing?
This should be the easiest one to clear... but I fell at this hurdle. In late-2019, my student of many years published her first book: Japanese Copyright Law Explained for High School Students. After reading this book and attending the launch party, it soon became clear that my random use of NHK footage was making it impossible to look her in the eye. Within a few weeks, I'd phased out all my NHK footage to zero. I now celebrate 3 years of going "cold turkey" on NHK footage and she is still my student.

(2) Can I justify to NHK what I'm doing?
There is no way a traditional Japanese company like NHK will accept any form of justification for extensive use of their footage without permission. They had to fight for three years (as NHK radio) just to negotiate admission to the sumo hall (1925-28) and they currently pay $30 million per year for the exclusive camera positions to produce footage which is only intended for TV. They are currently under attack from the "Destroy NHK" political party, led by the ex-NHK Director of Sumo Programming who is sure to make political capital from unauthorized use of sumo footage. ("Look how useless NHK is! It can't even protect its own copyright, thereby disrespecting the license payer... blah, blah, blah). So the only surefire way to avoid a clash is to ensure no YouTube Sumo footage belongs to NHK.

(3) Do I have relations with NHK?
If you do, your life's a lot easier. If you want to use their footage, please contact them directly. If you have a famous company behind you, they may even let you use it. If you don't intend to use their footage you can rest easy, but if you're filming by yourself in their full view it still helps to build direct relations. At least three of the Japanese NHK commentators more than know who I am (one of them even calls out to me). Better still, they know I respect them perhaps even more than the wrestlers because, from the way I talk, they can feel they are the role models for the activity I'm doing. If you're constantly asking yourself: "What would my NHK hero do? How can I be more like him or her?" you can't go far wrong. (You certainly wouldn't conclude they'd furtively record their own company's footage).

(4) Do I have relations with the sumo association press office?
These guys have the power to make or break any prominent attempt to report sumo, so you have to announce yourself to them. In my case, that means they have my contact details and my resume (so they can put a proper job to my name - "Sumo YouTuber" doesn't count). Most importantly, I have spoken to them directly to make sure they at least tolerate what I'm doing (they can never openly endorse it). All they have specifically said to me is: "Don't shoot backstage. You need formal permission for that." In terms of filming bouts, they said: "We can't officially comment on YouTube uploads (but fans clearly do it). We simply ask that any photography or filming is done from your seat and nowhere else." Those rules are written on the matchday programs in Japanese and English; nowhere is it written that you are forbidden to bring in a camera. There are of course image rights issues stemming from every photograph or video taken even on a mobile phone in the arena. However, the association's current position is not to clamp down on image right infringements, as they would need hundreds of staff to do it.

(5) Does sumo make money from me?
At the end of the day, money talks. If sumo people constantly see you buying tickets, attending functions and giving money to wrestlers, they'll be much more receptive to you and your requests. So much the better for the YouTuber if sumo folk receive money directly from your channel. The wrestler who, last October, received the proceeds from my video about him certainly wants to see more of me! (He enjoyed the video too).

So, that's it. Any YouTuber clearing those five points will not experience any problems. If you're walking through the Kokugikan lobby and a wrestler shouts: "Oh, did you get some good videos for your YouTube?" (as happened at the Hakuho Cup), you'll know you're doing fine. What should be clear is that this can't be done at arm's length anymore; direct communication with the people concerned is vital.

Hence, the defining moment for YouTube Sumo arrives: charge into headlong battle with sumo's major players, or lay down the screen-recording weapons and seek a truce on sumo/NHK terms? Opinions are worryingly divided and, despite my very best efforts since 2020 (and it's clear the wrestler messaging campaign made it's mark), my channel has failed to bridge that gap (hence, you see less of me than before). But maybe another channel can, and I wish that channel no end of luck.

For now, can I express my public support for Hiro Morita, who is clearly pushing hard against stereotypes of foreign fans to incorporate your suggestions into Sumo Prime Time. My hope for now is that he gets the backing he deserves to make the official channel a sparkling success - and earn more revenue directly for sumo!

Sounds like he has put in an awful lot of work over the past few years to develop the right relationships and it seems to be working for him. Does sound like the channels we love (Natto et al) are going to have a harder time of it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So tl;dr, if you aren't living in Japan and thus able to directly interact with/pay the JSA, you're eventually gonna be turbofucked.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
:yarr: it is then

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't know if it really worked out for chris, except insofar as his channel hasn't been nuked. He dramatically pulled back on coverage this basho, I strongly assume due to the channel not growing as hoped.

However you feel about him though, it definitely wasn't for lack of effort. Kind of a shame

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"Simply be incredibly obsequious and pay the JSA"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've said it before, but I would happily pay both the JSA and NHK if I could to be able to watch sumo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kenning posted:

I've said it before, but I would happily pay both the JSA and NHK if I could to be able to watch sumo.

Everyone would, piracy exists due to lack of entry not from lack of desire.

Though piracy in general is on the rise again because oops all streaming services are now diversified and made the same mistake as cable before it and now theyre trying to restrict usage.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
At the end of the day none of what he's saying has gently caress all to do with what we actually want, we just want to see the matches, all the matches. Is there a legal way for me to do that? No. If there was, I'd use it.

Like he's talking about sumo "reporting" and all that stuff but none of that is what was actually getting hit here, nobody's getting copyright strikes because they're simply talking about Sumo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if it really worked out for chris, except insofar as his channel hasn't been nuked. He dramatically pulled back on coverage this basho, I strongly assume due to the channel not growing as hoped.

However you feel about him though, it definitely wasn't for lack of effort. Kind of a shame

I think he said he scaled it back because it was so physically exhausting for him to cover all the days he did.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Super weird vibes from that post, his solution seems to be "be Chris sumo" or "if you aren't Chris sumo, simp as hard as I did and hope for the best".

I'm still bummed over kinta and Jason, but I'll stick to not watching Chris. Here's hoping Giro's channel keeps improving.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

bessantj posted:

I think he said he scaled it back because it was so physically exhausting for him to cover all the days he did.

At first I was kinda confused by this. Like, it can't be that hard to cut 10 minute videos. But if one considers the fact that he was filming all divisions, each day, then sifting through that content for the 10 minutes and putting together a narrative, yeah I can see that being a lot.

I think it's also way more than most viewers actually care about? Like seeing some of the up and comers is cool, but I'm mostly interested in sekitori and I don't usually even watch juryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably there's a good argument that what chris does would have more traction if the overall english sumo ecosystem were more healthy, and he's just been fatally ahead of the curve. A channel about inside baseball implicitly relies on the ability to watch baseball games. It makes you appreciate the role jason's channel filled I guess