Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DancingShade posted:

Come nevarine, let us show those dogs how an iskandar works. By the nine.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

the ending of the words is ARTEMOVSK

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

DancingShade posted:

All that matters is which history lasts until living memory is extinguished. I feel confident India will manage it, Israel probably. Ukraine? (sounds of echoing laughter, distant thunder)

Canada will just get another immigration wave and a bunch of Azov memorials

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lord of Pie posted:

Canada will just get another immigration wave and a bunch of Azov memorials

Canada isn't a real country anyway. Just a testing ground. We'll see how it goes and adjust for other areas.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm doing a replay of Ace Combat 7 and there actually is an official Ukraine skin for the MiG-29, though they call it a "Special Skin" and I don't know exactly when it was added.

Slava Ghost of Kyiv!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is a Ukraine emblem / banner in Destiny 2. I've got it because they gave it out to everyone back when this first kicked off. I've never seen anyone use it once. Once.

Oh well better luck next time Eurozone.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DancingShade posted:

Gosh I can't wait for the next level deepfakes with war footage after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OEHRpoDWw

(not Ukraine related but think of the AI generated propaganda transcripts you could make)

lol

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Comrade Koba posted:

once the first leopard gets flattened by an artillery shell the media narrative is going to go all in hard on how the cowardly russians are obviously too afraid to face our superior western tanks in direct combat.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Eliot Higgins is a god drat hero. He gave his life for our country, and this is how you people treat him?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

My dearest tankie comrades:

I've been doing some thinking lately about how I run this thread, and suffice it to say, I'm not happy with how I handled poo poo a couple of days ago. I shouldn't have threadbanned cbo and AiT, and I'm sorry to them and everyone that I went there. It was really stupid of me, and I'm glad I backtracked on that as quickly as I did. A few of you brought up trust. I realize that's something that I could stand to show more of toward the regulars here. Like I said, this thread is usually a joy to moderate, and I do genuinely want people to be happy posting here, at least as much as possible.

i missed all the drama but you've been pretty willing from day one to respond to criticism so i always thought you were doing a good job despite disagreeing with a few of your recent decisions. new rules seem good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/JohnEdgarCarter/status/1624866296931270664

and this is a pretty big claim, so I investigated.

The alleged source is this article: https://www.spiegel.de/ausland/wolodymyr-selenskyj-im-interview-putin-ist-ein-drache-der-fressen-muss-a-458b7fe2-e15a-49a9-a38e-4bfba834f27b

and this is the archive.is link to get through the paywall: https://archive.is/xr0bD

I took the text, which is in German, and ran it through the DeepL translator.

It's a very long article, so I won't post the full text here, but this is the dump: https://pastebin.com/6bYbZMFp

I believe this is the most pertinent section to the claim:

quote:

SPIEGEL: Do you feel pressure from abroad to conclude a ceasefire quickly - at the cost of Crimea and other territorial concessions?

Zelenskyy: We are all afraid of war, it's an instinct. I don't blame anyone here. People do feel sorry for us Ukrainians. But the worst thing would be if the war came to them. The citizens and their leaders see a potential threat to the stability of their countries, including their political power. So they want to stop the war - and the best way to do that is at the expense of others. By no means at the expense of victims in their own countries. I'm not even trying to be objective here, because I'm the president of a country at war, so I'm going to be subjective. Draw your own conclusions from what I say. The easiest way to end the war is to give Russia territories. To give them back the influence on Ukraine and within Ukraine that they had for years. That is why the Minsk agreements existed. Our friendly states should not hold this against us, but I think the Minsk agreements were such a concession.

Germany and France had helped broker the Minsk agreements in 2014 and 2015. They were meant to settle the war in the east of the country, which Russia was more or less covertly waging by supporting armed groups in the Donbass, but also sending troops itself. In Ukraine, the agreements were perceived as imposed.

Selenskyj was elected president in 2019 primarily because he promised to end the war in the Donbass.

SPIEGEL: But you have tried to implement the Minsk agreement yourself?

Zelenskyy: I jumped on this train, which, to be honest, was already heading toward the abyss. By "train" I mean these agreements as a whole
. Each point stands for a wagon, and when you start picking it apart, you get it: The whole thing is constructed so that one side can't fulfill something and the other freezes the conflict. I didn't recognize in the agreements any desire at all to let Ukraine have its independence! I understand their meaning in such a way that one wanted to satisfy the appetite of Russia at the expense of Ukraine first a little. Postponement is perfectly fine in diplomacy. After all, you never know if a decision-maker will die and everything will suddenly become easier. I saw only one sense in these agreements: There was, thanks to them, an official platform for talks to resolve anything at all. And then I focused on the issue of prisoner exchanges and said to the head of the Presidential Office: Andrij, let's expand this, it's about people. And if we create an exchange "all for all," we'll look further. But as far as Minsk as a whole is concerned, I told Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel: we can't implement it like that.

SPIEGEL: In 2019, you reached your first and only meeting with Putin: You met him in Paris, as part of a four-way summit in the so-called Normandy format.

Selenskyj: I told him the same thing I told the other two. They wondered and said: if we had known beforehand that you were changing the meaning of our meeting, there would have been problems even before the summit. I replied: I am a young president, new in office. This is about technical issues. I have been to the line of contact, and I have looked into this myself: What is in the agreement is not implementable.

SPIEGEL: It was about "disengagement," that is, the withdrawal of troops from both sides from the immediate front line.

Zelensky: Putin urged a quick withdrawal. I explained to him how this is currently being done, and I calculated for him that at the current pace we need another 20 years. I told him: my father is a mathematics professor, I'm good at arithmetic.

SPIEGEL: What were the chances of a cease-fire in the early days of the war, in March 2022?

Selenskyj: At that time, many wanted to end the war very quickly. Within a few weeks, this view changed. Thanks to our energy on the one hand, and thanks to what Putin and his army did: Butcha, Mariupol ...

SPIEGEL: ... the Kiev suburb where hundreds of civilians were shot, and the port city on the Sea of Azov, which was besieged and destroyed for weeks ...

Zelenskyy: There were a lot of small Buchas and small Mariupols! And what about the Donbass, which was almost completely destroyed? I remember driving through Lyssychansk there, the houses were burning, there were no people. They had fled or been killed. It's good that journalists have reported on this, and that society in many states is acting on their leadership. The heads of state have to understand: Yes, the war must end. But you can't sit between the chairs anymore.

and separate from the thing I was looking for, here's another section talking about Putin, demands for more weapons, and why Bakhmut is turning out the way it is:

quote:

SPIEGEL: You believe that Vladimir Putin will not stop after Ukraine.

Zelenskyy: You can't stop him, because Putin is a dragon that has to eat. To satisfy his appetite, you give him one country after another, or at least pieces of it. And your people shout: "Forward! Stuff him some more! Go!" But in today's world, neither borders nor oceans will stop the Russians. Of that I am absolutely sure. I told a head of state who felt offended by me - and I have to say it wasn't Olaf - that delivering ten tanks makes no sense. What I meant was, it's not about the number of tanks, and there's no point in haggling over that. Rather, this is a political decision, just like the sanctions. Tank deliveries only mean that we are all together against Russian aggression. And tomorrow it won't be tanks, it will be airplanes or something else. Once the Russians are on your border, you will have to sacrifice the lives of your people. Therefore, what Ukraine is doing today is more favorable for your country.

SPIEGEL: How do you look at the constant discussion in Germany about a potential escalation?

Zelenskyy: The Russians are primarily responsible for the escalation. They have tortured, murdered and buried people alive. I knew from books that there were these kinds of atrocities, of mass murders. But I couldn't imagine that happening again in today's world. If Putin wins this war, he will do the same thing again elsewhere.

[In the coming weeks leading up to the anniversary of the invasion, Ukrainians expect a slow increase in Russian offensives. After being relatively quiet recently in Kiev, as the Russians appear to be running out of cruise missiles and ballistic missiles, 300 to 400 Iranian drones are now reported to have been delivered to Russia again. That worries the Ukrainian leadership. The situation is worst in the Donbass city of Bachmut, where fighting has been going on since the summer with enormous losses. The German Federal Intelligence Service reports triple-digit Ukrainian casualties every day.]

SPIEGEL: Why don't you withdraw troops, even though military experts agree that Bachmut has little strategic significance?

Zelenskyy: The intelligence services and the military see it somewhat differently. We are just buying time there until the arms deliveries, until our army is strengthened. The Russians have almost completely destroyed the city with their artillery. Strategically, Bachmut itself is not relevant for them, but above all a road. They need it to advance further. So the question is: What happens after Bachmut? And that's where it's important that we arm our brigades so that they become a powerful fist of Ukraine. A fist that can recapture certain areas.

SPIEGEL: With all the pressure you are under, is there anything that has surprised you positively in recent months?

Selenskyj: This war has shown the power and influence of the public. Even if a head of state or government is uncertain, people do their part. I think this is the most important result of this war. There are beautiful and completely different identities, ethnicities, languages, flags in Europe. But when it comes to values, people didn't hesitate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look those historical quotes are nice and everything but The People [tm] want to know the really serious info - where does Zelinksky stand on the star trek picard and star wars disney plus tv shows?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TL; DR - Zelensky saw the Minsk agreements as conceding territory to Russia, which he did not see as acceptable, and so was dragging his feet on ever getting anything done about it, in the hopes that one of the 'decision-makers' would die and then he could make a play for changing the agreements (or perhaps pursuing a different set of agreements altogether)

[that's my read on his remarks, as machine-translated from German, so the translation could be dead-wrong, and my corresponding interpretation could be wrong as well]

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

My dearest tankie comrades:

I've been doing some thinking lately about how I run this thread, and suffice it to say, I'm not happy with how I handled poo poo a couple of days ago. I shouldn't have threadbanned cbo and AiT, and I'm sorry to them and everyone that I went there. It was really stupid of me, and I'm glad I backtracked on that as quickly as I did. A few of you brought up trust. I realize that's something that I could stand to show more of toward the regulars here. Like I said, this thread is usually a joy to moderate, and I do genuinely want people to be happy posting here, at least as much as possible.

this is more than any other mod has done recently, copping to your own mistakes that is. youre doing fine

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Admitting you may have made a mistake and/or boo-boo is not only human (it's a normal thing to do) but shows a bit a humanity. Humility? IDK.

We're all human whether we want to be or not (personally I'd like to be some kind of space robot) and doing something that says "I'm human" is not a sign of weakness. It's a normal person, doing normal person things.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zelenskyy: You can't stop him, because Putin is a dragon that has to eat. To satisfy his appetite, you give him one country after another, or at least pieces of it. And your people shout: "Forward! Stuff him some more! Go!"

This is what the world will look like if we let Putin win…

Sickening. Also I found a good meme

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turtle Watch posted:

This is what the world will look like if we let Putin win…

Sickening. Also I found a good meme

Where do all the anime isekais fit in?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

DancingShade posted:

Did you say ‘Is A Cow’?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Gosh I can't wait for the next level deepfakes with war footage after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OEHRpoDWw

(not Ukraine related but think of the AI generated propaganda transcripts you could make)

lol

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DancingShade posted:

in the garbage can

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

TL; DR - Zelensky saw the Minsk agreements as conceding territory to Russia, which he did not see as acceptable, and so was dragging his feet on ever getting anything done about it, in the hopes that one of the 'decision-makers' would die and then he could make a play for changing the agreements (or perhaps pursuing a different set of agreements altogether)

[that's my read on his remarks, as machine-translated from German, so the translation could be dead-wrong, and my corresponding interpretation could be wrong as well]

idk, feels like he's just saying this now because of which way the winds are blowing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the bbc are putting out some rather “interesting” output on the war recently, which I think is to ultimately soften the blow that perhaps things are not going very well in Bakmut . On the other hand, ukraine is also doing really well at killing russian soldiers which is kind of a “win”?

this is of course in the context that “Bakhmut's strategic importance has been questioned, but the prolonged fighting has turned it into a symbolic prize.”

i thought the article where they sent someone to chat to the locals of Belgorod quite interesting, more so because it’s very apparent that the russians have a more nuanced view of the war whereas the reporter is so obviously biased in the article, “fact checking” as they go, to an extent that it’s almost a completely inverted story you would get if it was of the ukrainian side

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously I'm not in charge of anything but if I was I'd have every western press pass holder fed to the wolves on arrival to my country of Berklakastan. It's stil more than they deserve.

No italian suit? No entry.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

i think he might be saying that he didn't like the agreements, but he couldn't have implemented them in any case, presumably because the nationalists wouldn't let him.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

i thought the article where they sent someone to chat to the locals of Belgorod quite interesting, more so because it’s very apparent that the russians have a more nuanced view of the war whereas the reporter is so obviously biased in the article, “fact checking” as they go, to an extent that it’s almost a completely inverted story you would get if it was of the ukrainian side

fortunately the bbc has never ever been known to mindlessly parrot british government narratives

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ukraine war: Five ways conflict could go in 2023

"exactly how hard is ukraine going to win? let's talk to these extremely credible experts to find out"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Ukrainians are going to meet with the IMF, let's see if all the belt tightening helped. I would expect so strategically speaking.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Feb 13, 2023

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure where they're getting that Russia has the capacity to carry out much of a genocide at this point tbh.

probably from every bit of western media drilling it into their heads

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Comrade Koba posted:

the ending of the words is ARTEMOVSK

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

to the west, "genocide" is mandatory grade school education

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1624790121429225473

More credible sleuthing in the comments.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

makes sense a terrorist nation would send another terrorist nation weapons

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

makes sense a terrorist nation would send another terrorist nation weapons

ok uncle

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

On the one hand Zelensky's campaign was all about a peaceful conclusion to the war, on the other hand saying Putin is single handedly keeping Ukraine down is very Ukrainian lol.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm doing a replay of Ace Combat 7 and there actually is an official Ukraine skin for the MiG-29, though they call it a "Special Skin" and I don't know exactly when it was added.

Slava Ghost of Kyiv!

I remember that skin being there from the start, certainly predates the war. Every plane in that game can unlock "special skins" by completing certain hidden achievments in the campaign missions. Ive had that one unlocked for several years.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently there's another execution video of a wagner deserter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Apparently there's another execution video of a wagner deserter.

Supposedly the first one looked pretty staged.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's the same grey zone channel, and now there was a follow up about this one maybe being staged too?

Well it's still part of the weird online PR campaign Wagner has going on.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Are these supposedly Wagner executing a Wagner deserter or something else? I’m not about to go googling for executions.