Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It auto-saved me right before the fight and I couldn't leave, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I feel like game-overs in RPGs that either dont have level scaling or a smooth progression system can be far more frustrating than game-overs in more skill-based games like character action games or something.

I remember playing Persona 5 I was underlevelled for Haru's dad and I had to spend 2 hours grinding in the subways, not even doing fights most of the time but driving around and just ramming into lower level enemies. And if a game isnt smart with autosaves you can lose literally hours of progress because you have to reload and just fight more trash mobs and it's soul-draining

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

a buddy of mine gifted me a steam copy of returnal for my birthday and i am fuckin stoked, it's the only game that made me want a ps5 and now i don't need to get one!

This is exactly what happened to me and I'm very excited about it! It looks like a good time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

If you buy returnal on pc you’re spitting in the face of every ps5 owner, but you still shouldn’t do it

I own it on PS5 and I am still buying it again on PC. I will spit on my own face.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I own it on PS5 and I am still buying it again on PC. I will spit on my own face.

…why? (the first part)

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Can't tell if I'm just bad at video games or River City Girls 2 is hard as gently caress cause I just wiped to the 2nd boss of the game with my friend over and over till we lost half our money and only just clutched out a win with one of us alive at 1HP.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Can't tell if I'm just bad at video games or River City Girls 2 is hard as gently caress cause I just wiped to the 2nd boss of the game with my friend over and over till we lost half our money and only just clutched out a win with one of us alive at 1HP.

River City-styled beat 'em ups tend to have a bit of an inverse difficulty curve. As you level up, build your stats and expand your arsenal of moves enemies tend to get less and less threatening. The boss design in those games is very much based around avoiding attacks and waiting for the one window where you can beat on 'em, though keep in mind they'll auto flip out of your combo at a certain damage threshold. In general if you're having trouble, make sure you're both eating meals to keep your stats up as you progress through the game and don't be shy about carrying a bunch of healing food with you as well. You'll find yourself swimming in money fairly easily by the mid-game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Is there a thread for Dungeon Crawlers somewhere? Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Bard's Tale, that type of thing, but newer ones also like Legend of Grimrock.

Also, which Etrian Odyssey game on 3DS should I get if I were to play only one in my life? I bounced hard off the first Persona Q but that's one of the lesser Personas and not indicative of EO. I will maybe pick up the collection on Switch at some point if it jives with me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't ask me why I made this

https://i.imgur.com/znDAxZm.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Marian is actually just a hard fight lol, my friend and I only barely scratched out a win against her and we were constantly over leveled and eating most of the foods we found. If you aren't in the habit, make sure to stock up on food before going in to boss battles, and do any side content you can for the extra exp.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wizard2 posted:

Is there a thread for Dungeon Crawlers somewhere? Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Bard's Tale, that type of thing, but newer ones also like Legend of Grimrock.

Also, which Etrian Odyssey game on 3DS should I get if I were to play only one in my life? I bounced hard off the first Persona Q but that's one of the lesser Personas and not indicative of EO. I will maybe pick up the collection on Switch at some point if it jives with me.
eo4 is probably the best, or go back and play 3. the untold parts of the untold games are actively bad, eo5 is weak, nexus relies somewhat on knowing the parts of the old eo games they're quoting but is a good game if you get past that

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I got my resources drained last night in Metroid Prime. Ran out of missiles in the ice biome before a missile door and I had to backtrack to find more. But, I found an energy tank and a missile tank on the way, so it wasn't all bad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lots of great little shots in this ad

https://i.imgur.com/Jwf7MfD.mp4

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yesterday I finished Banjo-Kazooie and I have to say, I am amazingly impressed by anyone who did that final boss as a kid. I was not prepared for the difficulty to ramp up the way it did!

It was a truly wonderful game, despite me playing so poorly on the very end boss, but I managed to get 100% and I feel very good about that :)

Favourite level is Click Clock Woods followed by Clanker's Clavern, then Rusty Bucket Bay then Freezyfreeze Peak. The music in the game is utterly fab as well - especially Click Clock Woods - the clever changing of it based on where you are in the level is :discourse:

Think I will play Banjo-Tooie some time in the future.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
No mention on how you had been using the controller wrong for the entirety of the game and for every previous n64 game you've played?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well...

Yeah there is that too...

:blush:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wGlMwVL.mp4

VideoGames posted:

Yesterday I finished Banjo-Kazooie

It truly is a fantastic game, and probably represents the peak of collect-a-thon genre for that era before it plunged off a cliff by adding wayyyyyyy too much collectables and we ended up with DK64

Always cool to see people play old games they've missed.

VideoGames posted:

Well...

Yeah there is that too...

:blush:

lol how's this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is their last name still Mario in the movie

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wGlMwVL.mp4

It truly is a fantastic game, and probably represents the peak of collect-a-thon genre for that era before it plunged off a cliff by adding wayyyyyyy too much collectables and we ended up with DK64

Always cool to see people play old games they've missed.

lol how's this?

So since the modern controllers don't have as many buttons as the n64 did, they had to come up with another solution for the C buttons. One option was to use the right stick, which is what VG was doing, but that's not ideal as since it's an analogue stick it's very easy for it to get imprecise inputs and do things you don't want.

The other option is to hold ZR which turns the face buttons into the C buttons. VG tried this but claimed it "didn't work" so he kept using the right stick. During the final boss I finally worked out that the reason it didn't work was that he wasn't also holding ZL (used for the n64 Z button) to crouch so he could actually use the c button moves. He was just hitting the C buttons while standing and being surprised it only affected the camera.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

doubles as a visual aid for teaching fighting game number notation

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

He was just hitting the C buttons while standing and being surprised it only affected the camera.

https://i.imgur.com/bZzEYbk.mp4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it was only this game you were making the mistake on veeg, not every other N64 game, otherwise you wouldn’t have been using the items in the Zelda games. Although don’t get me wrong it’s still extremely funny and embarrassing for you!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

these are loving incredible but I wish they were gifs instead of videos. is that an Imgur thing?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm linking them as mp4

You can copy the url and replace with .gif or .gifv

Gifs are just massive in filesize to embed in a page

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah sick thanks, I no good compooper

e: ok no still can’t just save them as gifs to my computer or phone, Imgur is such trash lol, stop tryna be a social network you weirdos

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 13, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

arsenicCatnip posted:

doubles as a visual aid for teaching fighting game number notation

lol, telling my friends to hit "2+3B" like I'm speaking in tongue

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lucky last
https://i.imgur.com/zx1a4C5.mp4

Reckon movie is going to rule, despite Crisp Rat using his normal voice

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Infinitum posted:

Lucky last
https://i.imgur.com/zx1a4C5.mp4

Reckon movie is going to rule, despite Crisp Rat using his normal voice

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. Movie will rule except for the parts where chris pratt talks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

So since the modern controllers don't have as many buttons as the n64 did, they had to come up with another solution for the C buttons. One option was to use the right stick, which is what VG was doing, but that's not ideal as since it's an analogue stick it's very easy for it to get imprecise inputs and do things you don't want.

The other option is to hold ZR which turns the face buttons into the C buttons. VG tried this but claimed it "didn't work" so he kept using the right stick. During the final boss I finally worked out that the reason it didn't work was that he wasn't also holding ZL (used for the n64 Z button) to crouch so he could actually use the c button moves. He was just hitting the C buttons while standing and being surprised it only affected the camera.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I think it was only this game you were making the mistake on veeg, not every other N64 game, otherwise you wouldn’t have been using the items in the Zelda games. Although don’t get me wrong it’s still extremely funny and embarrassing for you!!

This is correct - it was funny, embarassing and caused me to make a mess all over the end boss. Once everything made sense, I then won immediately.

It was the adaptability + Aava fight from Dark Souls II all over again. :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It wouldn't suck so bad if they did semi-regular restocks of the N64 controller.

Last batch here in Australia sold out in less than 15min and dropped during the middle of the day

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

arsenicCatnip posted:

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. Movie will rule except for the parts where chris pratt talks

The inevitable upload to YT of "entire new mario bros. movie but with crisp rat speaking roles cut"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

The inevitable upload to YT of "entire new mario bros. movie but with Crisp Rat dubbed by AI Charles Martinet"

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

:yeah:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Sometimes I think about Blue Apron and lol to myself

Did they have a food poisoning scandal, or was that just every meal kit company other than Blue Apron?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like the detail of one of them being slightly off beat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

On the one hand AI voices are a dystopian nightmare hellscape

On the other you better goddamn make sure the AI voice of Peter Cullen is always voicing Optimus Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNp0TfEu5Q

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Who is crisp rat?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is crisp rat?

Say that aloud.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ok. Did it 5 times. Sounds like crisp rat.

When I google it I get this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Eftqe31B4. Not too bad, but I don't think the person who voices crisp rat would be a very good mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's kinda wild that from when Guardians of the Galaxy Video Game got announced to the time it launched that public opinion went from "I can't believe they didn't get Crisprat to do the voice" to "Well at least Crisprat isn't doing the voice".