Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stare-Out posted:

The PSVR 2 version is out in like 9 days so that could be taking some dev time still.

Ah, that's right.

That could also be the date for their next announcement, even if the PSVR2 release is the majority of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The last achievement I haven't gotten in this game is "hang out on a hazard planet for way too long in real time"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The last achievement I haven't gotten in this game is "hang out on a hazard planet for way too long in real time"

Go build a base on a hazardous planet. Aim for it to be a safe haven from the elements. You'll get that achievement in no time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Isn't the last stage of that like a total of eight hours real-time on an extreme planet? I looked into it a while back and people were cheesing it by leaving the game running overnight while their character was in a cave or something.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yes, it's terrible.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Go build a base on a hazardous planet. Aim for it to be a safe haven from the elements. You'll get that achievement in no time.

I built a base on a hazard planet and spent time collecting storm crystals and now i have like 200 warp cores, and still not even close to the achievement.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

where is Sean going to post his emoji once twitter dies? seems like that could be soon

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
it'll be a pre-patch that changes the center of the universe to an emoji every time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I built a base on a hazard planet and spent time collecting storm crystals and now i have like 200 warp cores, and still not even close to the achievement.

Weird. I attempted to build a 'friend hotel' (a place where my fellow NMS-ers could pop over for a visit), didn't even come close to finishing it, and got the achievement.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

To get that achievement it has to all be done on one planet in one life. It doesn't have to be done all at once. If you die the timer starts over. And it's a per planet timer, so if you switch planets you can always continue by returning to that original planet, but it's not cumulative over all the extreme planets you visited.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

To get that achievement it has to all be done on one planet in one life. It doesn't have to be done all at once. If you die the timer starts over. And it's a per planet timer, so if you switch planets you can always continue by returning to that original planet, but it's not cumulative over all the extreme planets you visited.

This makes sense, since I almost never die (not a brag if you're familiar with Normal mode whatsoever).

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1625637379171094528?s=20

Incoming update soon. Not that it's unexpected considering the launch of the PSVR2 next week. They're probably trying to push the update just before that officially comes out so the reviewers can actually play a game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’d say “more pet stuff” but he also posted on Valentine’s Day. Plausible deniability!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

official Naked Mode announced, with procedurally generated genitalia.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1625637379171094528?s=20

Incoming update soon. Not that it's unexpected considering the launch of the PSVR2 next week. They're probably trying to push the update just before that officially comes out so the reviewers can actually play a game.

His update tweets a) happen usually on a Monday or Tuesday because that's right before the Wednesday when they'd update, and b) are only emojis, not retweets.

There are MANY tweets of his with an emoji that are just retweets of players' screenshots. This specifically means nothing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

And here we go!

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1627095294105243649?t=oay_UwCJlIwdT5eZZDqsvw&s=19

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

How is this in VR?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

How is this in VR?

I can only speak for PSVR but I like it a lot. It's the full game and I prefer it to the flat version. Flying takes some getting used to; the flight stick is super sensitive but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. Prolonged space battles can be a bit of a pain though.

The largest selling point is the immersion and using your multitool with your hand, really.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

How is this in VR?

It's pretty nice, if you have a good enough gaming rig. I've only done it a bit using a Quest 2. I love using the multitool and even flying your ship; you have to open up your pilot's bay window or whatever it is to get in, and you have to pull and push levers when you get started up. Takes some getting used to more so than most VR experiences, but that's likely from NMS having a fair bit going on at once that you now have to translate to brand new controls. But stick with it, and it might be the only way you'll want to play.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's pretty nice, if you have a good enough gaming rig. I've only done it a bit using a Quest 2. I love using the multitool and even flying your ship; you have to open up your pilot's bay window or whatever it is to get in, and you have to pull and push levers when you get started up. Takes some getting used to more so than most VR experiences, but that's likely from NMS having a fair bit going on at once that you now have to translate to brand new controls. But stick with it, and it might be the only way you'll want to play.

Nice. Do you walk around in room scale and then sit down once you’re in the shop?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've only ever played it in VR and can't imagine it without it. Always get a sense of wonder landing on a new planet.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Ok, now I'm hyped a little. Just wish I could afford the new PSVR right now.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm betting planetary biomes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
it means there's snow update

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Omnicarus posted:

I'm betting planetary biomes.

I dunno about this one, can you imagine the crying people would do if their favorite base now has a different environment?

Still, I'd like biomes, too. And since you already guessed it...

I'm betting something to do with fractals. Procedurally generated fractal labyrinths, either in space or as a planetary base type you can investigate, similar to how they did with abandoned freighters. Or maybe you can sneak behind the scenes of a weird non-Euclidian Sentinel factory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want more danger.

And ship customization.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

doctorfrog posted:

I dunno about this one, can you imagine the crying people would do if their favorite base now has a different environment?

They've done it at least two times before so I wouldn't be completely shocked.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

They've done it at least two times before so I wouldn't be completely shocked.

yeah it was kind of depressing, someone on reddit made like a memorial planet named after their dead kid on a paradise planet, came back a year or two later and it was converted to an infested one

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
the snowflake makes me think of cold climates which makes me think of poles. not 'real' poles, just two distinct areas at the tops and bottoms of planets?

as for multi-biome planets, it seems like fun idea but in practice i'm not sure it would work? once you find the second biome THEN you've seen everything and it isn't fundamentally so different? maybe they have a clever idea to make planetside exploration more varied without necessarily adding new biomes.

i could see, like, some system that spawns rareish variant areas of the existing biomes at very high or very low elevations? So climbing a large mountain or deep caves could have some reward?

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 19, 2023

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Still, I'd like biomes, too. And since you already guessed it...

I'm betting something to do with fractals. Procedurally generated fractal labyrinths, either in space or as a planetary base type you can investigate, similar to how they did with abandoned freighters. Or maybe you can sneak behind the scenes of a weird non-Euclidian Sentinel factory.
if they were going to do anything with fractals, they should use it to procgen the flora. Seeing the same 3-4 plants every time you land on a planet with a certain biome gets boring real quick, and I've got no idea why they haven't already done it.

have the emojis Sean's used ever actually been relevant to the update, though?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
they're probably as relevant as he can get them. earlier on they seemed more literal and hinted at a specific thing but lately they've represented the broader theme of the update and not really any particular feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The whale one for Leviathan was almost totally literal but when Origins came out, he posted an orange.

There was another one with eyes or something that had some sort of esoteric meeting. I can't remember.

So what I'm saying is guessing the update is based around snow or fractals is equally valid.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

100% certainly not, simply because I can imagine the outrage at everyones poo poo being changed or ruined, but I wonder if this'll be an update to the procedural generation. "Every planet/animal/tree/spaceship/etc will be truly unique, just like snowflakes." Something like that.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

update: added dandruff

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's the marine snow update.

No other changes, just reduced visibility underwater.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
he's finally giving the snowflakes crying about ship customisation what they want

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

he's finally giving the snowflakes crying about ship customisation what they want

If he posted the easel emoji everyone really would flip poo poo, in a good way

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheWorldsaStage posted:

If he posted the easel emoji everyone really would flip poo poo, in a good way

and then it'd be an update to add more textures to the terrain-placing tool

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1627399554562764805

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh god now there's two of them