Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Hwurmp posted:

she's no Melinda Megamelons

so few are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It is the full game, it's just only available as an open beta through the 13th for now.
oh right, i misunderstood, that makes way more sense lol. better get some playtime in today, see if i can unlock a few more traps at least

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is progress being reset? And I hope they increase the rate at which you get GenMat slightly, it takes forever to unlock poo poo. 20 Hours logged, a decent bit of that was watching Replays I guess, but I've only got every Trap and half the Guards unlocked and very few trap Upgrades unlocked. Never mind the Suit / Suit upgrades, weapon upgrades etc...

Leveling up your Weapon NPC or Trap NPC or Guard NPC etc. should unlock things, then make me spend the GetMat on upgrades for them :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At work and I just want to play more Tape to Tape.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fanatical with a banger of a $25 bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

DUSK
AMID EVIL
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Turok 1 & 2
DOOM 64
River City Girls
Hypnospace Outlaw
Breathedge
WH40K: Mechanicus
Lair of the Clockwork God
Dark Diety
From Space (this literally just came out a couple of months ago lol)
and several other lesser games

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
7 Days to Die only $6 at Humble atm.
Super cheap for a great game.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/7-days-to-die

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do you even see how much GenMat you have in Meet Your Maker? The intervals at which I'm asked to upgrade the horrible biomutant seems odd and arbitrary. Also the game is no fun at the start when you have no counter to the "half a dozen grunts next to each other" levels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Too late I'm deep into steamworld heist but that's next on the list I think

heist is a great game but god help you if you want to go for all of the achievements.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ymgve posted:

How do you even see how much GenMat you have in Meet Your Maker? The intervals at which I'm asked to upgrade the horrible biomutant seems odd and arbitrary. Also the game is no fun at the start when you have no counter to the "half a dozen grunts next to each other" levels.

The GenMat is the red currency in the top left. At first your Chimera levels up [and gives you GenMat] like every time you level up one of your NPCs. Then it's every 2 times, then every 3 times.

The other 2 currencies are basically just used to buy "boosts" from the NPCs, to upgrade/Prestige your Outposts, and refill your Hardware (grenades/consumables)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, so, now that the next fest is ending, what demos will still be kickin' around? maybe there are demos you wanted to play but didn't have time?

These games I believe should keep their demos because they were uploaded outside of the Next Fest schedule:
Vividlope, Gravity Circuit, Glitched, Painter Simulator, Rusted Moss, COVEN, Scene Investigators, The End of the Sun, The Tartarus Key, Decarnation

Affogato demo will be up until Feb 28th.

if you notice any demo saying "hey we're gonna be around for a while" be sure to share it. I think that Vividlope, Coven, Gravity Circuit, and Tartarus Key are all pretty good demos, and the others are worthwhile but more to genre-heads I think

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

demos are still downloading for now.my thoughts on ones already recommended super:

Meatgrinder has a dedicated kick button! you run on semi trucks, like in a 2005 flash game. the grappling hook is neither "physics-y" nor snappy. is this enough to be a game? probably, but not too much fun with controller.

shady knight, too, is a game that has theoretically what I want (dark messiah, but new) but is developed for mouse+key so it doesn't feel good to play on gamepad.

Radio Whatever-- i think it's supposed to give you a headache with the muddy, moire'd, washed-out visuals or the scaling is wrong. when a character moves slowly, they should feel more precise than this. it is a good game, but after trying Gestalt, another 2d postsociety robotkilling action platformer, which controls really well, why bother. again, good game, totally worth playing if you're not picky as me.

(stupid game name) Vividlope--wishlisted, though S-tier is an overstatement. Cool! playing this game requires zero previous experience playing video games. so it has universal appeal, like Q*Bert. for that reason, the specificity of the visual reference (PS2 nostalgia, which I don't have) falls flat. the graphics should have universal appeal to match the gameplay, basically.

i don't remember what else i played since i uninstalled and didn't wishlist. there was a tactics game that was good but those are kind of hard to evaluate in demo form. it didn't have the je ne sais quoi

edit: that was arcadian atlas i guess, which i've now reluctantly wishlisted. i should note that this one does seem to work well on a gamepad! to me this is a $30 that i would buy for $5. but that's just me. it is more of a "legit game" (on my scale) than most of the others hic. clearly a high-effort endeavor.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 13, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Last of Us PC port is getting a Steelbook physical release. Imagine saying that a few years back?

It seems very impractical for what you get and the price, but cool for people who like nifty collectors physical editions I guess?

https://twitter.com/naughty_dog/status/1625194445418405888?s=46&t=W9hoYPqQt6oxiwxd0RgqfQ

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If they pull the Tape to Tape demo they should release the game into early access next week because I'd be happy to pay for what's there already.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mescal posted:

edit: that was arcadian atlas i guess, which i've now reluctantly wishlisted. i should note that this one does seem to work well on a gamepad! to me this is a $30 that i would buy for $5. but that's just me. it is more of a "legit game" (on my scale) than most of the others hic. clearly a high-effort endeavor.

Steam Thread: reluctantly wishlisted

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks everyone for all the Next Fest coverage: was a lot of fun! I got tired and missed out on the last days, so I have a newfound appreciation for all the coverage everyone else kept going on. I did check out some of the weirder games like Dark and Darker, which I was somewhat impressed with due to its very precise modeling of attacks and environmental collisions, but I'm not a huge fan of PVP stuff so it's not for me.

If I were to sum up my findings:

"Insta-buy" Wishlists: System Shock, Gestalt Steam & Cinder, Radio The Universe, Gravity Circuit, Picayune Dreams
"Very likely to buy" Wishlists: Rusted Moss, Shady Knight, Dust & Neon, COVEN, DROP, Meatgrinder
"Hmm, keep an eye on it, see how it develops" Wishlists: Vernal Edge, Magenta Horizon, Oblivion Override, Dad by the Sword, Full Void, A Sisters Journey, Farworld Pioneers, Boundary
"Good, but simply too anime even for me" award goes to Grim Guardians

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 13, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Does Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun get better? I don't dislike it, but I'm also no very intrigued by it. The story so far, three or four missions in is bland and the characters are boring archtypes. I know I'm probably bad at it, but it feels like the game doesn't expect me to try to be sneaky at all. Like, yeah, don't get caught, but there's no consequence for murdering everyone on every map.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
murdering everyone without getting caught is sneaky
balls to that 'ghost mode' clear-the-level-without-hurting-anyone stuff

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think there are challenges for going through the missions non-lethally, but I'm fairly sure you unlock them after you beat the missions. Anyhow, the crew eventually grows on you and there will be some plot twists but if you're not enjoying it, there's probably not much reason to continue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing the 10 hour trial of Wild Hearts, and performance is god awful on my PC. ;--; I just barely meet the recommended system specs; i7-8700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

Playing the 10 hour trial of Wild Hearts, and performance is god awful on my PC. ;--; I just barely meet the recommended system specs; i7-8700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070.

Yeah I posted my thoughts in the monster hunter thread but it's awful for me as well on a 3080ti/5800X3D. Really not worth burning any more trial time on it tbh because it feels really bad to play right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

Yeah I posted my thoughts in the monster hunter thread but it's awful for me as well on a 3080ti/5800X3D. Really not worth burning any more trial time on it tbh because it feels really bad to play right now.

Trying out the first boss, and just in general I think the game isn't for me, so i'm gonna skip buying it. Feels too much like Monster Hunter, which I knew going in, but I was hoping it would change up the formula a bit more then it did. I never really liked Monster Hunter to begin with. Glad for the 10 hour trial to figure this out now rather than after $70 was already spent.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
NOT YET, SNAKE! IT'S NOT OVER YET!

(I still have something like 15 more demos to review even after these, holy hell.)

Assorted Townbuilders (Roots of Yggdrasil, Pocket Planet, Cardboard Town)

Whereas before I was basically in complete agreement with Dr. Video Games 0069, except that I think Takara Cards could have somebody who likes it just as it is, my opinions on this one are entirely the reverse. Still respect their work put into the reviews and everybody else's, just to be clear.

As someone who wanted a less intense version of Against the Storm, I immediately fell in love with Roots of Yggdrasil. I appreciate how the more advanced buildings build off of your previously existing infrastructure, so you need multiple Equipment Posts to build a Watchtower, and how if you're clever with your placement you can get away with having multiple buildings of the same type "score" off the houses. I do kind of worry it's in a middle zone where those who are really into the genre will only find it a cute curiosity and those who aren't really into the genre will bounce off of it.

Pocket Planet started off lovely, but even early on I got annoyed with how easily the RNG could ruin your plans, and how sometimes the last piece or two even in a good run could make the final result end up looking disharmonious. A cardinal sin in a game that's relying on the pretty vista factor. Game's still good if those things don't dissuade you.

I did not like Cardboard Town at all. It felt very heavily constricted by the early game in a way that Roots of Yggdrasil explicitly tried to avoid, and it didn't feel like I was building towards anything in particular. My distaste for this one is the most subjective out of the town builder reviews, almost purely visceral rather than anything else.

Tape to Tape is kind of like MEATGRINDER, in that it's a very good game that a lot of people in this thread rightly love, but I personally wasn't good at and will not be playing. I don't have anything else to say (or that I can say) on the matter.

Okay so you know how I reviewed City of Beats and Spiritfall and said that those games were basically Hadeslikes? As soon as I made those posts, I said to myself: "Yeah Jossar, but you KNOW in your heart of hearts that there is someone lurking on the forums who is going to go 'Well yeah, Hades was great and all, but I really wanted it to be cyberpunk/a 2D platformer and then it would have been my perfect game.'"

That is basically how I felt reading The 7th Guest's review for Wandering Sword. I don't want a Live A Live remake! I mean, I'm happy that we can live in the world where we get both that and Wandering Sword, but I very specifically want this game for the exact reasons that make it different, and have rocketed it up to near the top of my Steam Wishlist! I mean, I was always going to given the subject matter unless it was terrible, but it's very good: both in its presentation and mechanically as an RPG.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 14, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I think there are challenges for going through the missions non-lethally, but I'm fairly sure you unlock them after you beat the missions. Anyhow, the crew eventually grows on you and there will be some plot twists but if you're not enjoying it, there's probably not much reason to continue.

the characters and writing are mostly okay at best, with a few scenes throughout the games that are better. the main draw is the gameplay. some missions have optional objectives not to kill anyone, but most do not. i don't bother with those, because that poo poo's boring.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

Trying out the first boss, and just in general I think the game isn't for me, so i'm gonna skip buying it. Feels too much like Monster Hunter, which I knew going in, but I was hoping it would change up the formula a bit more then it did. I never really liked Monster Hunter to begin with. Glad for the 10 hour trial to figure this out now rather than after $70 was already spent.

I could get into a Monster Hunter made by Koei-Tecmo, feels like it could be a bit of Nioh + Monster Hunter with the whole style they're going for, but I thought the combat in Wild Hearts from what I've seen (admittedly not much) lacked the same kind of impact that MH has when you're really loving a monster up. A lot of that could be down to just feeling lovely because of the performance though. At any rate it's not a game I'd pay $70 for but might keep an eye on it for a month of EA Play Pro if they're able to iron out the performance issues.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

credburn posted:

Does Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun get better? I don't dislike it, but I'm also no very intrigued by it. The story so far, three or four missions in is bland and the characters are boring archtypes. I know I'm probably bad at it, but it feels like the game doesn't expect me to try to be sneaky at all. Like, yeah, don't get caught, but there's no consequence for murdering everyone on every map.

Not really... because it's great from the start!!

But yeah, if you don't like it after four levels, I don't see that changing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

It also just doesn’t look very good imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

credburn posted:

I really enjoyed Shadow Tactics, but then again I was also keen as beans to do the 'never get seen' stuff. It's a very 90's style of video game, if that makes sense, and so there's a lot of meat on the plate but no fancy sauces, and it's up to you if that's what you want.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

explosivo posted:

I could get into a Monster Hunter made by Koei-Tecmo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/363130/Toukiden_Kiwami/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/551730/Toukiden_2/

they already made two

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

It also just doesn’t look very good imo.

Yeah I thought maybe I just needed to turn on my monitor, but the game looks significantly downgraded from the promotional videos and screenshots we’ve been shown.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop pretty much had ArcRunner right on the money: it's flashy enough that you want to like it, but it's missing that certain je ne sais quoi. If you want to be a robot space ninja who flips out and murders people with guns, just play Warframe instead.

secretly best girl did a pretty good of describing what Dungeon Drafters is. So how does it play? Eh. Maybe it's because I was playing the Monk, but I felt like a lot of the time I was just sort of puttering around waiting to whack people on the head rather than using my cards properly. I can see how it would work though, especially if you get really good at customizing your deck. Lovely art direction. I feel like I've been saying that a lot, but with these sorts of indie projects you tend to get it, unless the overall work is a terrible mess anyway.

The 7th Guest described the "fun" part of Gripper, the boss fights, well. The fact that they are still mediocre is even more damning of the introductory sequence to levels, where you drive your motorcycle through a Super Hexagon style corridor trying not to get smushed, but there's basically no energy to any of it. I'm also personally infuriated at the story, which felt like it was trying to emotionally manipulate me into caring about it when there was basically nothing there. There's gotta be a better game for killing dudes on a motorcycle than this. Go find a Nintendo Wii and play 5DS Wheelie Breakers if you have to.

FutureCop had more fun with Vernal Edge than I did, having somehow managed to break the intro tutorial room and have the game awkwardly shuffle me further along with minimal explanation as to what I was supposed to be doing. The Pulse system is interesting, but felt slow as did Vernal's general kit. Not really a fan of Metroidvanias anyway, but even if I was, I think I'd pass.

Especially when Afterimage feels like a much smoother product. The 7th Guest covered this one pretty well, I only wish the intro story cutscene had been a little less vague/awkwardly phrased, but you'll quickly forget about that as you amble through the world's colorful environments.

My experiences with Dungeons of Aether mirrored Dr. Video Games 0069's, which makes sense as a good portion of the demo is on rails. I'm keeping a hopeful eye out for this one, but I'm not sure how you overcome the "staring at each other raising your power levels until one of you is strong enough to win" problem, which seems inherent to the design.

EDIT: The more I look at it, the more I'm running out of original things to say, but with only 9 demos of moderate interest left (including some favorites like Gestalt: Steam & Cinder), might as well just finish. Also Karagon, which I reviewed earlier, released just as the festival ended and is predictably mediocre in its reviews.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 14, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lih posted:

my impression is that the game has been nearly complete for years and the last few years have been spent on significant iteration and polishing in response to feedback from kickstarter backers who've been able to playtest it. the release of a public demo makes me hopeful it might actually be close to release at last

I was one of the backers in question, and this is exactly it. The actual game map and mechanics were essentially 99.8% complete a year ago, but it had some rough spots that really wanted to be polished. The most visible change in the new demo is the "here's where you'll jump" graphic -- the game was a bit more frustrating before it was put in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jossar posted:

Especially when Afterimage feels like a much smoother product. The 7th Guest covered this one pretty well, I only wish the intro story cutscene had been a little less vague/awkwardly phrased, but you'll quickly forget about that as you amble through the world's colorful environments.

Ok fine you fucks, I'll throw more unreleased metroidvanias on the wishlist like you wanted

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon was rough for like a month and then was fixed to be above average. Every other Sony port has had a good track record.

Yeah, Sony hired Nixxes to patch HZD and then acquired them a year later. That doesn't mean their PlayStation ports are going to be flawless, but at least they're by a studio that knows what it is doing.

I've been watching a streamer play this and he describes it as "jank, but the good kind of jank". I can't imagine most people would want to pay more than 20 bucka for it tho, it really is wonky. The sound balancing is downright awful.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 14, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have platinumed Waves of Steel. Game owns.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

wtf i thought this game would be like £30

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, Sony hired Nixxes to patch HZD and then acquired them a year later. That doesn't mean their PlayStation ports are going to be flawless, but at least they're by a studio that knows what it is doing.

I've been watching a streamer play this and he describes it as "jank, but the good kind of jank". I can't imagine most people would want to pay more than 20 bucka for it tho, it really is wonky. The sound balancing is downright awful.

I watched Elajjaz play a little and he enjoyed it but personally I cannot get past literally every NPC screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you kill them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Albinator posted:

Yesterday's game of the hour, Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is on sale for a few bucks off if anyone was interested.

This is rad btw, very master of Magic, but it does not gently caress around so start on easy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone else recently start experiencing this cool new bug on Steam where you search for a game, click on it from the drop down list of results that populates and then it just takes you to a blank page? :shrug:

If I go back and search 1 or 2 more times it eventually loads, but kind of annoying...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else recently start experiencing this cool new bug on Steam where you search for a game, click on it from the drop down list of results that populates and then it just takes you to a blank page? :shrug:

If I go back and search 1 or 2 more times it eventually loads, but kind of annoying...

It's been really slow to load store pages for me over the last day or so. I was actually going to try rebooting my modem/router to be safe but sounds like maybe it's not just me then.