Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Would highly recommend the omx-27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Chainclaw posted:

I just saw this, someone plugged their harp into someone else's modular synthesizer and it's pretty great. And of course the first two featured synths are out of production (Clouds) or soon out of production (Circuit Bent VCO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvc4ZIvc48

Her channel has some hilarious stuff on it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Her channel has some hilarious stuff on it.
Today's episode is a gigglefest
"I'm the trash woman"
She also inspired this video
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jt2ZfquLaVQ&feature=shares

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 1, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Try a tube shot

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

So they send you away, teach you how to be sensible, logical....

$80 shipped :drat:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Oh god I started to go deep into postmodular non-Eurorackian modular in the form of multiple Buchla easel expansion cards...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

minidracula posted:

Oh god I started to go deep into postmodular non-Eurorackian modular in the form of multiple Buchla easel expansion cards...

I was just looking at Buchla.com and thinking "$1000 for a quad function generator? That's insane!"

Then I realized I spent the better part of that on a quadrax plus the expander :laugh:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

Today's episode is a gigglefest
"I'm the trash woman"
She also inspired this video
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jt2ZfquLaVQ&feature=shares

she's o.k. but gentlemen prefer ukulele players

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol

I'm finally using my CS301 intro to EE skills from 2002 :allears:

I amused myself entirely too much by hooking up a couple VCAs and just watching the TROOF.

this thing just absolutely spits truth (tables)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Giving me nightmare flashbacks from control and instrumentation class. Building control circuits with safety interlocks from raw components. Without examples, just lol gently caress you, figure it out. Latches and counters just broke my young brain.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I am absolutely in love with the sp404 mk2. Sampling into it is really easy and it has step and polyphonic realtime record modes (this combo suits me very well). its kind of put a stop to my GAS because now I feel like I need to sample everything I own.

Hope i can get my poo poo together and enter the new synth competition with it because it seems like a good tool for meme songs.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Put together a generative patch tonight that was lots of fun. Filmed it in the dark for maximum blinkenlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1pX2nmUCA

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm going to be doing some travelling and wanted to bring my Doepfer 6u case with me but not sure what's the best way to package it. Anyone know what would be the appropriate flight case or gator case type that would actually fit?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone have a recommendation for a eurorack module that adds an effects loop for guitar pedals? Preferably in stereo. There are a few options out there like the strymon aa.1, boredbrain unifx and the alm 006 but I'd like some info from people that have used them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Only tangentially related BUT does anyone know a good place to pick up 1/4" reel-to-reel tape at a good price? Reverb tends to cluster around $40-$50 a reel and that seems bonkers, but Chicago CL is just rife with what looks like scams for tape that's probably gonna be dust in a box.

Wanting to get that Moog-to-tape analog pipeline going, but I only have a stereo Sony machine I got at a thrift store.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stabbing Spork posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a eurorack module that adds an effects loop for guitar pedals? Preferably in stereo. There are a few options out there like the strymon aa.1, boredbrain unifx and the alm 006 but I'd like some info from people that have used them.
I have the boredbrain intrfx. It's great. 3 channels, so you can do stereo + one other pedal
It takes up space with your pedals, not in your rack.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Finally got my SD card for my Teensy; M8 Headless install was a breeze. Maybe by a equinox miracle I'll submit a Holmestrack.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

I have the boredbrain intrfx. It's great. 3 channels, so you can do stereo + one other pedal
It takes up space with your pedals, not in your rack.

Oooh this is fantastic. I have a lot more room on my pedalboard than in my rack so this will do nicely.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
https://moogfoundation.org/win-a-minimoog-signed-by-geddy-lee-of-rush/

Figured this might be of interest. I grabbed a few tickets, who knows maybe I'll luck the hell out.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Despite having mimeophon, beads and morphagene, pretty sure I am grabbing a Data Bender next week.

how many loop-buffer manipulators is too many, I kinda want a second mimeophon too

edit: and a Lúbadh :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 8, 2023

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I thought about a data bender but I have a beads and saw this video and it made me realize that I have so much more to explore with what I already have

https://youtu.be/hCQuPwkTWSw

(obviously you do whatever you want)

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Okay weird post incoming.

Been using bigwig and really like it, but vaguely feel like I should ditch it because of the whole ordeal with the spectral suite last year. Also watched a Venus Theory stream where someone asked if he was still using it and he gave a resounding NOPE

I guess I'm just mega stressed at work and lack basic decision making skills outside of nursing poo poo.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Been using bigwig and really like it, but vaguely feel like I should ditch it because of the whole ordeal with the spectral suite last year. Also watched a Venus Theory stream where someone asked if he was still using it and he gave a resounding NOPE

I guess I'm just mega stressed at work and lack basic decision making skills outside of nursing poo poo.
I mean, if it's working for you and you like it and there's not a functional reason to switch, I'd say nah, unless the non-functional reasons to stop using it "pay their way" (so to speak) with you as to sacrifice the investment in it in favor of something else. Not saying they don't (or do), just saying that's how I'd look at it.

You can always stop using it later if something like that reoccurs. Or, you could always start up the learning curve (whatever it may be, steep or shallow) on another package (i.e., DAW) now in parallel, just as backup or as a skills broadening exercise, or just wait and add something later (again, if the situation reoccurs).

I use multiple DAWs and similar software packages incl. Bitwig and for myself I wasn't particularly put out by the whole thing, but I get why people were. I thought the way they ended up resolving it was fine for me (and initially, more than I expected to happen). But Bitwig isn't my personal end-all be-all, so it was less of a big deal to start with.

Dunno if this really helps you at all.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

one way of looking at it: the backlash was so strong, and Bitwig's "we're listening" u-turn so immediate, that they probably won't try the same poo poo again; but others might...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah it's a weird question and I don't really get why I'm even thinking about it - my thought at the time was "Well I'm nowhere near skilled enough to need spectral suite, so I just won't buy it." I guess partly it's because renewal time is up for it, but I don't have any rational reason to switch.

Broke brain stuff is great! And you guys are cheaper than my therapist, so well done, strong work everyone!

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i never understood the intense outrage over spectral suite. it looked to me like entitlement almost on the level of gamers. the company is never allowed to make anything substantial enough to charge for besides bitwig studio itself?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is just lovely.
Wendy Carlos teaching 70s Britain how to synth

https://fb.watch/iDzVfHiz8q/

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Must be the Facebook compression doing something to the sound, because my cat did NOT enjoy Wendy's pulse width modulation. Static square wave was fine, but once the duty cycle started changing, the poor little guy freaked out and ran away.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

MSPain posted:

i never understood the intense outrage over spectral suite. it looked to me like entitlement almost on the level of gamers. the company is never allowed to make anything substantial enough to charge for besides bitwig studio itself?

It was a fundamental change in the value prop of their subscription. They had previously stated that it included everything. By then rolling out a separate paid update, it telegraphed a future where the sub included most things unless they were really really good and then it would cost extra. They did the right thing by walking it back swiftly and decisively. Now it's easy to trust that paying the sub gets you everything.

If they needed more money, they could have raised the sub price a bit. People would grumble, but it wouldn't have been an altering of the deal we signed up for.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

B33rChiller posted:

Must be the Facebook compression doing something to the sound, because my cat did NOT enjoy Wendy's pulse width modulation. Static square wave was fine, but once the duty cycle started changing, the poor little guy freaked out and ran away.

There was definitely something supernasty going on with that PWM, even off my phone it's assaultative

Edit; "ghastly"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It certainly wasn't Wendy's fault. I know she has synth cats.
Eta: bought a scope from Amazon, and bonus synthcat
https://youtu.be/rcUkXOLw2BA
This scope. Pretty happy with it so far.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B09X385FPV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2023

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Also watched a Venus Theory stream where someone asked if he was still using it and he gave a resounding NOPE

Alckemy and Databroth are still on this though they have more niche channels. I love VT but dude is doing pro stuff so he can’t afford to swap DAWs that easily or even for a bit and eventually the differences may start to grate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRwVKKoG0w

tbf this is how i feel about fl as well, poo poo’s powerful but it makes my eyes glaze over

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Last night I had a bunch of weed and messed around with patching, then made a big rambling post about patching in byob, which for a psyduck response
So today I made a let's patch video about what I was on about
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ogL9wdVu_to&feature=shares

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally, a flat surface.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No, that’s not real. No, no, no that’s not real it’s not rea- :byodood:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If I pay over $1500 for a card table (:lol:, no), I better get free shipping :colbert:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

Alckemy and Databroth are still on this though they have more niche channels. I love VT but dude is doing pro stuff so he can’t afford to swap DAWs that easily or even for a bit and eventually the differences may start to grate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRwVKKoG0w

tbf this is how i feel about fl as well, poo poo’s powerful but it makes my eyes glaze over

True to all of the above.

I think I tried FL a couple of years ago and had some eye glazing as well.

Pollyanna posted:

No, that’s not real. No, no, no that’s not real it’s not rea- :byodood:

And I still occasionally browsed TE stuff even after seeing their lovely overpriced hoodies, but gently caress them all the way now, JFC

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish I didn’t like pocket operators and the OP-1 so much because as a company I can’t stop rolling my eyes harder every time something comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's so weird that when I was new to daws coming from trackers that fl studio made sense to me. I tried lmms last year just to see if it had matured and I couldn't do the most basic things because I couldn't piece together how it works.