Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ben shapino posted:

Is there a guide to rockets that is worth a drat in 2023? I've always gotten to the rocketry stage and then lose interest because I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do to make an efficient rocket and most of the content I find is outdated or really poorly thrown together. How do rocket?? Plz he:lp

Spaced Out Rocketry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs81cPJibOI

Base Game Rocketry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUiXEfA40Uc

GCFungus is a recent discovery I made and his Tutorial Bites series is legitimately :discourse: Short, sweet, with a quiet, calm voice and nothing is longer than it needs to be. Several of his tutorial videos are only about 6-7 minutes long and always informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

You ever come back to a design and realize you've been playing with fire for very long time?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Panty Saluter posted:

You ever come back to a design and realize you've been playing with fire for very long time?

honestly for the ways your dupes try to kill themselves, getting boiling oil dumped on their heads while they're taking a poo poo is par for the course

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Am I going to be able to send rockets to/from this planet?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Xerol posted:

lol would love to see you screencap the attempt

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Xerol posted:

I have this glitch too. It's visual only; won't affect your rockets. Marked as 'fixed' in the next patch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xerol posted:

the planets are a grid of maps on the "same" map, sometimes poo poo glitches out or there's a bug and lets you see the other planets in the corners, but it's just a visual bug

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, i saw someone do this lmfao

they melted the rocket wall and then built out the entire thing

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Truga posted:

also, i saw someone do this lmfao

they melted the rocket wall and then built out the entire thing

As someone just dipping their toes into the rocket part of the game, this is incredible

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I thought they fixed that and you can’t mess with rocket walls any more?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can't deconstruct them, it's still just steel walls, you can run molten steel or similar through it to melt them

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
They made a TARDIS and it's beautiful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm kind of confused about the power situation. I see hydrogen generators to burn off excess hydrogen, a steam turbine as a cooling loop, and solar panels, but I don't see any batteries. Are the solar panels just active 24/7 and able to provide for all the power needs on their own?

I'm also confused by the sheer quantity of storage containers as well as the lack of a scrubber or other solution to remove excess CO2.

Overall though, extremely neat setup, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things about how it all works.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
With rockets there are services plugged into the wall provided by rocket modules. The battery module is probably used in place of batteries there. Solar panels also have 100% uptime when the rocket is in flight.

The CO2 is probably eliminated using the overwriting trick. If small amounts of CO2, like what a duplicant exhales, are near a vent trying to output O2, then the much more massive O2 packet from the vent will just replace the CO2. This is probably what the vent that interrupts the plastic ladder is for.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 11, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah with only 4 dupes, most co2 won't have time to build up into big enough packets to not get nuked by vents, would probably take over 100 cycles for there to possibly be an issue if you leave it alone

also, i imagine they can use the oxygen generator air pumps to also vent co2 to space, the single tile below the door is probably there to keep co2 for shrooms in when they do that

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dirk the Average posted:

the lack of a scrubber or other solution to remove excess CO2.
The gas pump next to the triage bed in the lower right?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was feeling bold and designed a metal volcano petroleum boiler.

Mostly standard stuff on the boiler side, but limited to 1.25 kg/s input because that's about all this volcano (copper) can handle.

After a few iterations this is the best I could do for conveyor rails to bring the hot copper into the hotbox. Next time I'll leave myself enough room to add a vacuum storage chamber so it can run more continuously. It's a mess because of the order I built things in and the insufficient amount of space I left myself. Basically, hot copper gets picked up in the volcano chamber and put into the conveyor loader, which then bridges onto the hotbox loop. The hotbox loop runs until the metal gets below 408C and then the shutoff shunts them back to the volcano chamber to dump off the rest of the heat into the steam. The copper comes out at about 150C and does a quick jaunt through the oil pool to dump off another 50 degrees of heat before getting dumped in a pool of water in the main base.

also half the reason the rails are a mess is because i got inputs/outputs backwards on a bridge and i couldn't tear it down to fix it, thank god for pliers

Right now I have to turn it down to 5g/s during the volcano dormant period, but next time around I'm going to add enough internal storage for hot metal so that it will just run without ever needing adjustment. Sure, 1.25kg/s isn't really much, but this uses about as much power as it creates before even counting the petroleum output. Factoring in volcano downtime it's more like 800g/s average. The good news is I have 3 metal volcanoes in my oil biome so between them (and I think iron and cobalt volcanoes have generally higher average heat output?) I can easily run one petroleum generator continuously and probably close to two if the other volcanoes are hot enough. For free! And cool metal in my base too.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Nice! I've used the magma biome to power a petroleum boiler for thousands of cycles, but I've never done a volcano powered boiler. Looks like it'd be a handy way to both generate petroleum and cool down the metal.

Now I kinda wanna step back into the game to try making an indirect volcano powered boiler (heat input water so the well generates petroleum directly).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, that's a very efficient use of thermal energy. IDK if I'll ever be ambitious enough to build one but it's cool as hell

also I got my Puft and I love it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cute. Now kill it before the pathing calculations doom your colony.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
never

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Toyed around with this idea last game, finally putting it into full effect this time around. This is at the very top of my non-suited base, so any loose hydrogen from around the map eventually gets up there anyway. So far it's working well, the CO2 at the bottom is just because my skimmer isn't that low and I'm growing mushrooms for now. Eventually plan on closing off the central portion of the base (70 wide by 12+ floors tall) and having the rest of the world only accessible by suits (and eventually only by tubes).

Only reason the top left room isn't included in that is I'm planning on turning that room into infinite hydrogen storage, so I never have to worry about that backing up the electrolyzers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
"Self", I said, "You've been playing this game for a long time and have never really come to grips with with hydrogen vents. Let's address that."

"Hm. 500C is hot. Way hotter than coolant from steel production. So let's put three steam generators up there so they don't overheat."

I knew the gap between liquid and gas heat capacity was big, but the temperature has barely moved in quite a few cycles. Maybe one Steam genny was enough :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hydrogen also has a very low specific heat capacity, so each kilo of it doesn't hold many thermal units.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Did you actually waste diamond on that build? Probably worth tearing down and rebuilding.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Hydrogen also has a very low specific heat capacity, so each kilo of it doesn't hold many thermal units.

The SHC of hydrogen is 2.4, over half that of water. I think it's just that an H2 vent only puts out a few hundred g/s when it's erupting, and those polluted water tiles are 500 kg apiece.

I don't think I've ever had to actively cool the output from a gas vent. I just leave natural tiles around it to soak up the temperature difference for however many hundred cycles it takes to equalize

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I must be thinking of something else then, I thought hydrogen was the one with almost no SHC, might be CO2?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh jay posted:

Did you actually waste diamond on that build? Probably worth tearing down and rebuilding.

Diamond was there and refined metal wasn't. If I really need diamond that badly I can always rebuild later but :effort:

My goal was to bring the temperature down to something more manageable. I've put hydrogen vents to work using aquatuners before but this would create power rather than use it. After some tweaking we're up to about 110C in the water chamber so the generators should be online pretty soon.

I probably could let the surrounding tiles eat the heat since it's near the oil biome but that's no fun

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

This bit always gets me, because in real life hydrogen has the absolute highest specific heat capacity. My poor understanding of the materials science is that to beat the specific heat capacity of hydrogen you need something smaller than an H2 molecule, which doesn't provide a lot of stable options.

That and aluminum having a higher SHC than copper.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's important to remember that ONI is loosely based on reality, not a simulation. The parts that don't match are due to low asteroid gravity. Or something :v:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Also remember that mass matters. 1 kg of hydrogen in a gas pipe will transfer a lot less energy then 10 kgs of liquid in a liquid pipe. It's why aquatuners are better then whatever the gas version is named.

Maybe a pipe with 10 kg of liquid hydrogen would be great to transfer heat, but considering the boiling point it seems rather impractical.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Smiling Demon posted:

This bit always gets me, because in real life hydrogen has the absolute highest specific heat capacity. My poor understanding of the materials science is that to beat the specific heat capacity of hydrogen you need something smaller than an H2 molecule, which doesn't provide a lot of stable options.

That and aluminum having a higher SHC than copper.

Water vapor is similar but nothing else is close. There's actually hydrogen gas detectors based on this principle.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Would my pajama dupes in well-lit beds make dream journals faster?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Are they nyctophobic?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bit of a pipe mess in my current base but it's working well.

1) The main steam room. Most of the heat comes from the metal refinery but the aquatuners are also extracting quite a bit of heat themselves. Most of the water comes from the natural gas generators, with a supplemental source of pwater siphoned off my main supply when the steam pressure falls below 5kg.

2) Main cooling box. When I set this up I didn't have a lot of metal or other good resources available, so it's mafic rock tiles in an insulated box. Kept between -43 and -57 by the aquatuners which are running in sequence, although there's some counterflow going on just from the loop itself, so most of the box stays about the same temperature. When I get to taming some metal volcanoes those will probably become metal tiles.

3) Steam turbine output cooling. There's a valve way up by the turbines that limits the output to 1kg and the rest gets dumped back into the room, so I don't have to worry if this box gets too cold. When the output water is below 0C the doors open so it doesn't get too cold, although this has not happened yet - when the turbines are running continuously the aquatuners also run continuously to keep this water at about 25C, good enough to dump into my main clean water tank.

4) Main pwater cooling. This is coming from a polluted water vent (from the bottom) at 30C so this doesn't need to do a lot. Same setup, when the output is below 20 the doors open. The very rough counterflow of the pipes in open space averages the temperatures out so the incoming water to the sieve is around 22C.

5) Fridge cooling. This goes all the way down to -30, and consumes most of the cooling from the main box when the turbines aren't running.

6) The unpowered fridges are just sitting on a metal plate which is sitting on another mafic rock box, that receives most of the cooling from #5. Keeps the contents of the fridges around -22 which is good enough to prevent spoilage. But what's that temperature sensor about?

7) It's part of the control for the door between the fridge box and the main clean water tank. There's two temperature sensors just connected up in an OR configuration, since green opens doors. If the fridge is too warm (the tile with the temperature sensor getting above -8 to -10, still haven't dialed this completely in yet) then the door opens to make sure all of the cooling goes to the fridge, since we don't want spoilage. Otherwise, there's a temperature sensor in the main tank (just above the 7) which opens the door when the main tank gets below 20C. The previously cooled water from #4 also does a loop through the tank before going into the sieve.

The main tank is fed primarily from the sieve and supplementarily from the steam turbine output. It's full of food poisoning but I have ample medication for that, and at this point I've switched almost entirely over to surf n'turf for food so the bristle blossoms being a little contaminated doesn't matter much anyway. I also have mushroom wraps as a backup good food source, or any excess barbeque from the hatch ranches. Most of the output is now going to the electrolyzers that provide all the oxygen for 12 dupes and a bunch of different dock locations.

The main tank also sits directly above the main base's main source of heat, which is all the mechatronics running the hatch ranches (and to some extent the hot igneous rock coming up from the oil biome). I'm going to have to switch over to cooled magma for that eventually anyway so when that happens I'll make sure the rocks are coming in around 30-40 degrees instead of 85. In a way the tank is shielding the rest of the base from the heat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm duly impressed with the unified cold box. I'd thought about that since having separate cooling loops gets pretty ugly quick. The doors are a good call to limit cooling for certain loops.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Panty Saluter posted:

Are they nyctophobic?
Is that required? My plan was just to make them unhappy

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Next time around I might make it a liquid tank of some kind instead. Part of me wants to use crude for it since there's so much and I'm not really using a lot of it but having it all down at -30 when I finally do want to start a petroleum boiler is not going to be fun. Water/pwater wouldn't be able to get cold enough to chill the fridge. Guess I could use post-boiler petroleum but I'd need to pre-chill it so as not to overtax the aquatuners (at which point I would need to start burning the petroleum for power).

The best part about it is how much it simplifies the main cooling aquatuners - just set them to the freeze point of your liquid +14 and let the doors control how much cooling actually gets used. Might also try it with a more basic turbine room instead of combining it with my main industrial sauna.

But it's going to be a while before I try it because next up I'm doing some variant on the "start with X dupes" challenge. Not going to start with anything as insane as 50-100, maybe more like 32, with the goal of actually sustaining the colony instead of it just being "how long can I survive".

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ShadowHawk posted:

Is that required? My plan was just to make them unhappy

as far as I know the light will keep waking them up if they're not nyctophobic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
The traits "loud sleeper" and (I think) "glow stick" also allow duplicants to ignore light when sleeping. I know loud sleeper does, if glow stick doesn't it would be a bit of a problem.