Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I think I now know why I'm sore after walking my new course. "200 feet of elevation change" .. I'm already down 80 pounds from two years ago :D

I’m Getting used to some crazy breaking greens (AW Tillinghast is apparently a comedian) but I had a stress free game today with nice people. 180 degrees completely different experience.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

lol @ Soly getting (inadvertently) dunked on by a Getty Images caption.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've been thinking of getting back into golf lately, I played as a kid but was never any good. I don't know if I ever shot in the 90s even, I played mostly par 3 courses with my friends.

I was surprised in going to the range that I can at least hit the ball somewhat straight, just not very far. I don't think I carried my driver even 175 though it was hard to see where it was landing with respect to the markers. Next time I'll go to a range that has tracking or club head speed stuff.

Since my clubs are like 20 years old I'd probably want to buy some new clubs, definitely in the forgiveness category. My current irons are Clevelands from I think 1999, I don't remember because I got them second hand:

And the driver is this modestly sized Cobra from before things really got jumbo:

It seems like the best thing might be to sign up for a lesson or two and then see if I can get fitted for clubs after that.
Any advice on clubs to try?

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Chromatics posted:

I've been thinking of getting back into golf lately, I played as a kid but was never any good. I don't know if I ever shot in the 90s even, I played mostly par 3 courses with my friends.

I was surprised in going to the range that I can at least hit the ball somewhat straight, just not very far. I don't think I carried my driver even 175 though it was hard to see where it was landing with respect to the markers. Next time I'll go to a range that has tracking or club head speed stuff.

Since my clubs are like 20 years old I'd probably want to buy some new clubs, definitely in the forgiveness category. My current irons are Clevelands from I think 1999, I don't remember because I got them second hand:

And the driver is this modestly sized Cobra from before things really got jumbo:

It seems like the best thing might be to sign up for a lesson or two and then see if I can get fitted for clubs after that.

Re-grip 'em and Rip 'em!

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Close to zero is good in golf and for emissions, but not for revenue...

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/35607876/liv-golf-league-lawyers-say-2022-revenue-was-virtually-zero

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Whoa a golf league that’s a confusing hodgepodge of crap when you try to watch it that has 0 stakes and had to pay the CW to be carried by them has nearly zero revenue? Shocked. Shocked I tell you. Wonder what’s gonna happen when all the lawsuits fail and the folks who went over there realize no one will ever care about LIV

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

i am a moron posted:

Whoa a golf league that’s a confusing hodgepodge of crap when you try to watch it that has 0 stakes and had to pay the CW to be carried by them has nearly zero revenue? Shocked. Shocked I tell you. Wonder what’s gonna happen when all the lawsuits fail and the folks who went over there realize no one will ever care about LIV

No, you see, Bubba says that his kid knows the teams and he didn't used to be interested, so there must be public interest.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

They are doing a tournament this year at a course local to me, Orange County National Crooked Cat. Now, this is a very nice course, hell they hold/held Q school qualifying here, but these guys are going to tear that course up. I'm assuming they'll play from the Q School tips which will play like 7500 yards, but it's not an overly hard course. It's also not a very spectator friendly course so it'll be interesting to see how they have that setup.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

They are doing a tournament this year at a course local to me, Orange County National Crooked Cat. Now, this is a very nice course, hell they hold/held Q school qualifying here, but these guys are going to tear that course up. I'm assuming they'll play from the Q School tips which will play like 7500 yards, but it's not an overly hard course. It's also not a very spectator friendly course so it'll be interesting to see how they have that setup.

I haven't been paying any attention to where LIV is playing. Is this a common thing? Courses that probably wouldn't get Tour events because they're too "easy" but LIV gets to pretend they're putting out a product where everyone shoots 65 every round because every par 5 is reachable in 2 and they're flipping wedges into every par 4.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I haven't been paying any attention to where LIV is playing. Is this a common thing? Courses that probably wouldn't get Tour events because they're too "easy" but LIV gets to pretend they're putting out a product where everyone shoots 65 every round because every par 5 is reachable in 2 and they're flipping wedges into every par 4.

I haven't been paying attention either since I could give a gently caress about it, it just came up because I'm in a orlando golf group on facebook and it was all the talk when it was announced. Reactions ranging from, I'm there everyday, I want to volunteer to work, and who the gently caress cares lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

i am a moron posted:

I wonder whether they'll be allowed back on the tour if they can qualify again. I assume so.

nerox
May 20, 2001

abigserve posted:

I wonder whether they'll be allowed back on the tour if they can qualify again. I assume so.

Surely they will allow them to try to earn their tour card back. I imagine some like Koepka will ride off into the sunset with their millions of dollars since they aren't going to want to show up to a lot of events.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah at least a few are just gonna take their money and run but I'd imagine they're at least given the chance to get their card back

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Make them start at like the $100 pay to play micro-mini tours and win their way back up. That way they don't take any spots away from guys just trying to make it by jumping back in near the top.

This would only apply to players who had previous exemption statuses, so guys like Chase Koepka can just be banned for life

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they also have to drive themselves all over the country and sleep in their cars during tournaments like Hogan/Nelson used to do in the 1930's. :colbert:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
banning for life seems heavyhanded and a good way to strengthen future monopoly claims, but yeah make em go through Q school qualifying/KFT

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Idgaf about anyone except please never let Brysons douchebag rear end back on the tour ever

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Bryson is great TV and probably the only LIV guy I'd really like to see on tour again (Cam Smith I guess too). Golf doesn't have enough heels imo

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I was fine with him until he spent like 15 minutes arguing about an anthill that one time, don’t remember which tournament but it wasn’t good heel stuff just him being a tedious douche

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Bryson isn't a heel anymore he's just tiring.

he's also not very good anymore either

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
That playoff he had with Cantlay was fuckin nails and he was good at the Ryder Cup

then he got hurt, came back in time for the Masters where we all had a hearty laugh at him, but then signed with Liv and maybe played or maybe hasn't since then who knows. I guess he did fight a rope which I can only presume was at an event? But that was funny too

but point is I miss his antics

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Well it appears that barring some kind of last second catastrophe I'm going to get to stay at and play a couple rounds at Tara Iti on my upcoming New Zealand trip. Can't believe it's actually going to happen.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Dr. Capco posted:

Well it appears that barring some kind of last second catastrophe I'm going to get to stay at and play a couple rounds at Tara Iti on my upcoming New Zealand trip. Can't believe it's actually going to happen.

I might be going in December and we’re going to try to make this happen as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Cat sighting next week at Riv. Hell of a course for your first tournament in almost a year.

https://twitter.com/tigerwoods/status/1624113486954364928?s=46&t=krd4bhqfnJ_675w-U_nDgw

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chromatics posted:

A little late response, but those are some solid sticks, I wouldn't be in a rush or anything.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Anno posted:

Cat sighting next week at Riv. Hell of a course for your first tournament in almost a year.

https://twitter.com/tigerwoods/status/1624113486954364928?s=46&t=krd4bhqfnJ_675w-U_nDgw

Tiger at Riv is awesome. I already have tickets for Sunday, but I might need to go Thursday or Friday now just to make sure I see him if he doesn't make the cut.

Also psyched for the US Open at LACC this year and I'm sure he'll be playing in that if he's healthy. I've got tickets for Thursday and Sunday.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

A little late response, but those are some solid sticks, I wouldn't be in a rush or anything.

Thanks, all the shafts are stiff flex which I thought might be too much for my presumably low swing speed. I'll get a lesson where they can measure that stuff and advise.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Chromatics posted:

Thanks, all the shafts are stiff flex which I thought might be too much for my presumably low swing speed. I'll get a lesson where they can measure that stuff and advise.

The irons are definitely going to be solid and playable. You might look at getting a regular flex shaft Game Improvement style driver if you have some trouble with your older one. But yeah 100% lessons are gonna be your best investment for sure

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

I was fine with him until he spent like 15 minutes arguing about an anthill that one time, don’t remember which tournament but it wasn’t good heel stuff just him being a tedious douche

Don’t forget the time he almost lost an eye to a boundary rope

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

They're playing Crooked Cat and not Panther Lake? Jesus. And yeah, not spectator friendly at all, and will pose about a 5% challenge.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I feel pretty dejected after my golf lesson. It seems like my swing really needs work but I walked away with a dozen small tips rather than an idea of what to aim for and how to evaluate whether I am practicing correctly. Spent the full 30 minutes hitting a 7 iron which I can only get to carry about 85/90 yards.

If I understood correctly, the main problems are really coming from the outside in on swing path, and not getting much rotation on the hips (he showed me how far bent my right knee should be at impact.) The swing path thing I've known for a while but haven't figured out how to level it out.

It was cool to see myself on the trackman though, and have those videos saved to compare to in a few months or whatever.

If anyone has any tips or videos I'd appreciate it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I hadn't played golf in a good month or so and happened to shoot a 39 over a 9 hole (shut up that's a good score for me!). Chipping wasn't great but I still routinely drove the ball 250+ and never 3 putted. My worst iron shot was still within the proper distance, just pulled a little bit. I still got up and down for par.

I am very happy that golf is becoming a "like riding a bicycle" moment for me. Even a terrible round for me is still within the mid 80's or so.

I think I may be a lifer in this dumb, way too expensive sport. God help me.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Chromatics posted:

I feel pretty dejected after my golf lesson. It seems like my swing really needs work but I walked away with a dozen small tips rather than an idea of what to aim for and how to evaluate whether I am practicing correctly. Spent the full 30 minutes hitting a 7 iron which I can only get to carry about 85/90 yards.

If I understood correctly, the main problems are really coming from the outside in on swing path, and not getting much rotation on the hips (he showed me how far bent my right knee should be at impact.) The swing path thing I've known for a while but haven't figured out how to level it out.

It was cool to see myself on the trackman though, and have those videos saved to compare to in a few months or whatever.

It might be worth finding someone new to take lessons from. It took me three tries to find an instructor I really clicked with. The main swing thought that took me from over the top and 8* out to in swing path to nice little baby draws was this: when you get to the top of your backswing, pretend there's a fishing line on the club head behind you, and you want to gently dip it in the water.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xsf421 posted:

It might be worth finding someone new to take lessons from. It took me three tries to find an instructor I really clicked with. The main swing thought that took me from over the top and 8* out to in swing path to nice little baby draws was this: when you get to the top of your backswing, pretend there's a fishing line on the club head behind you, and you want to gently dip it in the water.

Thanks, I'll look for other options in the area while I practice this week.

Is the idea with that swing thought that the fishing line is slack and you are sort of casting it shallow in the water?

Kirios posted:

I hadn't played golf in a good month or so and happened to shoot a 39 over a 9 hole (shut up that's a good score for me!). Chipping wasn't great but I still routinely drove the ball 250+ and never 3 putted. My worst iron shot was still within the proper distance, just pulled a little bit. I still got up and down for par.

I am very happy that golf is becoming a "like riding a bicycle" moment for me. Even a terrible round for me is still within the mid 80's or so.

That's fantastic! That's like my dream lol

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

pretend there's a fishing line on the club head behind you, and you want to gently dip it in the water

what

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

no idea man, I can't find the video now.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Dr Kwon's 3 step drills were really good for me when I was trying to figure out rotation and sequencing (and club plane)

i mean, i still am figuring those out, but they were and are still helpful

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

Tiger at Riv is awesome. I already have tickets for Sunday, but I might need to go Thursday or Friday now just to make sure I see him if he doesn't make the cut.

Also psyched for the US Open at LACC this year and I'm sure he'll be playing in that if he's healthy. I've got tickets for Thursday and Sunday.

I would definitely attend Thursday and Friday because the chances of him making the cut are very slim.

This is like the one annual stop on tour that Tiger has NEVER won.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chromatics posted:

Yeah, though we obviously weren't there, I would consider another instructor. I am bad, but it seems weird that an instructor would be teaching someone who has been away from the game a long time detailed position stuff, like knee bend at impact. Also 30 minutes seems pretty short, I don't know.

Kirios posted:

Nice! Apparently re-building a swing in middle age is hard, but I had a session last week where I had a stretch of 10 drives >105 mph swing speed, and probably 6 of them would have found a fairway. Two months ago I had a hard time cracking 90. I bought a total game improvement driver at the time (regular flex, 12 degree, something like that) that I now hit like a pitching wedge. Back to the old driver.

wyoak posted:

Dr Kwon's 3 step drills were really good for me when I was trying to figure out rotation and sequencing (and club plane)

i mean, i still am figuring those out, but they were and are still helpful
The one where you start with your feet together, and go step back->backswing->step forward->downswing? Yeah, that's a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't see it posted here, but netflix stuck the first episode up early on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEDa8swvgU

Spieth + JT in the first episode.