Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Newcastle Brown Ale is a decent lemonade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

And you're sure that's not just one idiot? Because I've lived plenty of places in the UK and nobody has called it lemonade.

Yeah it's very common in multiple areas in the UK to call sprite lemonade. Multiple places in London, Yorkshire and Lancashire, if nothing else.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah cos its see through

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I wanted lemons. It gave me lemon-lime!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
7up is also Lemonade, sorry to inform you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Coca-Cola® "Taste the Feeling" is lemonade.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Anything tortured into post-mix format and then dispensed by a bored 19 year old is going to be a disappointment.
Lemonade is a lemon, one ounce of sugar and one pint of water. Taken together or separately.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Enjoying this pop culture discourse

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think most people would probably accept sprite as being close enough to lemonade, but if you buy lemonade in the shop it shouldn't have lime in it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Baphomet the Misunderstood:

https://hyperallergic.com/587195/misunderstood-satanic-monument-baphomet-satanic-temple/

https://twitter.com/TST_Washington/status/1096954318882713600

I think there was some other todo about a big statue of Baphomet in the last 5 years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErFwJX0HKE&t=4s

bessantj fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miftan posted:

Okay but I've lived in several other places and the UK is the only one that calls sprite lemonade.

Greece does too, and yes it's weird

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Wrong as usual

Not sure I'd "wrong as usual anyone" brother, not in a day you slander Irn Bru.

Mind you, my beverage opinions are also sus as hell because sometimes I'll just drink lemon juice. Like, Jif lemon juice poured into a shot glass. It's surprisingly refreshing.

But yeah, proper lemonade is an extremely pleasant drink. About the only place around here that has it is Marks & Sparks which means it's overpriced, but on a hot summer's day (you know, the one of those a year) it's worth getting because it's so refreshing. Although I'd prefer it a bit more sour

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Miftan posted:

Iron Bru is garbage, sorry. Tastes like a mild fizzy bubblegum that's been under a table for a week or two. Scots don't @ me I don't care. Haggis is also pretty bad.

Lol, imagine being this wrong and joyless lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haggis in england is pretty dire, but haggis from scotland is very nice

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Miftan posted:

Iron Bru is garbage, sorry. Tastes like a mild fizzy bubblegum that's been under a table for a week or two. Scots don't @ me I don't care. Haggis is also pretty bad.

English food and drink is equally as bad lmao

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Miftan posted:

whatever the scottish version of a fatwa is, you're asking for one

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
You want some gravy with that ferret do you me old chup, sitty down by the pub and have a nice pint of bitter

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh gently caress off you

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

oh gently caress off you

It's just a bit of banter, like on top gear

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Not sure I'd "wrong as usual anyone" brother, not in a day you slander Irn Bru.

Mind you, my beverage opinions are also sus as hell because sometimes I'll just drink lemon juice. Like, Jif lemon juice poured into a shot glass. It's surprisingly refreshing.

But yeah, proper lemonade is an extremely pleasant drink. About the only place around here that has it is Marks & Sparks which means it's overpriced, but on a hot summer's day (you know, the one of those a year) it's worth getting because it's so refreshing. Although I'd prefer it a bit more sour

I do that but diluted. I have sugarless lemon juice (did get jif but they got expensive) and a lime juice similar and a good squirt of both in a glass with ice cold water - very refreshing. My dad tried it once having seen me drink gallons of it and spat it out in disgust.

In Egypt they talk of 'limoon juice' - they have 'limoons' which are sort of a lemon/lime hybrid but mostly lemon. They have so much sugar in it though. Mind you it's tough going without the sugar! My Italian friend & myself ordered without the sugar once. They looked at us and (as so often) heard them muttering about 'kwaga magnoona' (crazy wheatface) and we had to pretend it was fine to keep up our Foreigners Who Know What They're Doing end.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miftan posted:

Haggis is also pretty bad.

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither’d rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

whatever the scottish version of a fatwa is

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Enjoying this pop culture discourse

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish you could reliably get nice cream soda and root beer in the UK.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Root beer tastes like mouthwash though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Root beer tastes like mouthwash though

It often does yes which is why I specified "nice"

I have had some that has a pleasing botanical flavour but yes usually it is just loaded up with that manky liqoricey mouthwashy flavour and is gross.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

I think most hot places call actual lemonade lemonade in general, but I don't know if British lemonade is uniquely British or if Germans and Scandis also share this weird naming convention, for example.

*stares at red lemonade in the store* as usual not QUITE just us I think...

Edit: and cloudy wtf. Only place I've seen that description is here. Applied to fizzy but not see through stuff.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 14, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The UK is the only place that I know of that has a black grape flavour soda that's replicated from blackcurrant and carrots rather than using any kind of grape (or some kind of tar distillery by-product).

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

OwlFancier posted:

I wish you could reliably get nice cream soda and root beer in the UK.

Agreed 100%. For some reason all supposed root beer is sarsaparilla?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Lilt has had a little 'by Fanta' badge on the cans for a bit now and I was suprised to find out Lilt is only a thing over here ans in the canary islands. Fanta already do like three similar flavours so that's probaly why it's going in the bin.

Lilt leans into the grapefruit more than other 'tropical' fizzy drinks, Ting is probably the closest thing to it for that reason imo.

Fanta Tropicool is nice as well but how will i ever forgive them for this.

Edit: oh wait i actually read the article and they're just renaming it 'Fanta Pineapple and Grapefruit' and making no other changes lol

Edit2: if you accept 7up and Sprite as lemonades then by extension Mezzo mix is an Orangeade and i do not want to live in your world

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 14, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lilt is owned by the coca cola company yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i don't know who first said san pellegrino is tory fanta but i hope they have a good day today

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At this point we should just make it a rule that Miftan gets sixered if he tries to share food opinions with us. Jesus

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i don't know who first said san pellegrino is tory fanta but i hope they have a good day today

I’d heard it referred to as “Fanta for Wankers” lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

I’d heard it referred to as “Fanta for Wankers” lol

It's really nice :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The last two pages have been the text equivalent of a DND alignment chart, but for lemonade.

(Also drink Club Orange/Lemon/Rock Shandy if you ever go to Ireland. )

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lemonade in NZ is sprite/7up. Before that it was 'Schweppes' which marketed itself as extremely english, Cleese* doing the voiceovers and everything.

What sucks is that they stopped making full sized appletise/grapetise as a cheap replacement table wine for those not drinking, now you have to get alcohol free sav blanc or whatever for 10x the price.

*There were also ad-wars between homey australian cream cracker brand (tom and barbara) vs fancy english (margo and jerry)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As a foreigner I find Irn Bru to be OK--it's certainly not to my tastes, but also not actively offensive--but it is remarkable how much Scots genuinely love it. Haggis tastes good though.

And calling Sprite/7UP "lemonade" is like 145th down on the list of "you call X thing Y? Then what's your word for X?" moments non-British English speakers experience when in the UK.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

MeinPanzer posted:

As a foreigner I find Irn Bru to be OK--it's certainly not to my tastes, but also not actively offensive--but it is remarkable how much Scots genuinely love it. Haggis tastes good though.

And calling Sprite/7UP "lemonade" is like 145th down on the list of "you call X thing Y? Then what's your word for X?" moments non-British English speakers experience when in the UK.

Pants -> trousers has to be in contention for top 10