Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
mine (stem subjects, old world rates) was nearly paid off then i decided it would be fun to try teaching and to get my second subject + dip ed as post grad set me back another 30k over 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
this was 10 years ago though when the teacher shortage was largely academic so i gave up after two years of being unable to find a metro job. I had 2 interviews for long service leave positions and even quit my job in part to pursue casual relief and it just never happened, rip, so it was $30k for nothing

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Dav, new thread title : pegged by inflation

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

A while since i looked it up (and I could be wrong) but IIRC any voluntary HECS repayments are all post-tax and mandatory ones are not.

Plus they got rid of the other incentives to pay it off early so why bother imo.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

G-Spot Run posted:

this was 10 years ago though when the teacher shortage was largely academic so i gave up after two years of being unable to find a metro job. I had 2 interviews for long service leave positions and even quit my job in part to pursue casual relief and it just never happened, rip, so it was $30k for nothing

Very much a different landscape now, haven't hurt for work since I graduated six years ago as a humanities teacher. I resigned my permanent job at the end of last year and when I went in to drop off my laptop charger last week, walked out with two weeks relief and the DP trying to corral me into a contract (I will not be drawn, moving overseas by midyear and not missing all the after school meetings in the slightest).

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

freebooter posted:

Opinions sought, since probably a lot of people here have HECS debt: is it worth making a voluntary repayment before EOFY since it's pegged to inflation and for the first time in forever, inflation is going to be loving 8% or something?

It obviously depends on your personal financial situation whether you have money sitting around in the first place (I personally could only stump up a few grand) but since the conventional wisdom is that there's never any point in making voluntary HECS repayments, it was a "huh" moment for me when a friend pointed this out to me today.

I also bothered to log on to MyGov and check the last few CPI indexations for HECS payments on June 1:

2018 - 1.9%
2019 - 1.8%
2020 - 1.8%
2021 - 0.6%
2022 - 3.9%

I'm in an odd position for HECS; could've paid it off this year, but decided to go for a masters instead. Taking a step back from it atm and my HECS is currently 20k.

Oddly enough, I may be able to pay it in full by mid year. Selling my house atm, and can stick the proceeds into a HISA whilst I figure out my next plan and use the interest from that to pay it down. Still make a few vol contribs, use maybe a couple thousand from my settlement, and that will give me about 60k extra in borrowing power.

Still want to change careers though. Can't win them all.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whats the best way to get a mortgage these days- go directly to the bank (or credit union!) or via a mortgage broker?

I am interested in selling my house and...getting a better house. And I need a guide on what our budget can be. I refuse to become a landlord.

I talked to one broker who did tell me they get a commission AND 2 years trailing commissions(?) that set off alarm bells for me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yes, that's why they do multiple days work finding you a decent deal at no cost to you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Use a broker.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Comstar posted:

Whats the best way to get a mortgage these days- go directly to the bank (or credit union!) or via a mortgage broker?

I am interested in selling my house and...getting a better house. And I need a guide on what our budget can be. I refuse to become a landlord.

I talked to one broker who did tell me they get a commission AND 2 years trailing commissions(?) that set off alarm bells for me.

uh why?

basically a one off huge commission structure incentivises larger loans over more sustainable loans. trailing commission structure in any business / sales environment are setup to ensure long term client retention. it is in the brokers best interest to find a product that is in your best interests, one that you will stick with. that way they earn their full commission over the loan period, and you'll be more likely to come back to them again in 2 or whatever years to aid with refinancing.

as someone who has done it themselves once or twice, and then used a broker, i'd always advise to use a broker.

my broker calls me up about 4 months out from end of fixed term to see if we want to fix again. she asks for some updated payslips, whether or not we want to change something ie. draw down on equity to renovate or change something with our cars / loans and then comes back with a couple of products that'll suit us because she already has all our details and knows our circumstances.

it is so loving easy and streamlined and painless. i'm glad the banks are paying her a trailing commission. she earns it.

disclaimer: not all brokers are created equal. ask friends / colleagues for a referral to a decent one. some are bad, but not evil bad more just that they'll be inefficient or take too long to process or whatever.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
brokers were helpful in advising which lenders were processing quickly, which had better doc requirements, who was easy to contact etc

however when rates come down again you may find that they don’t reduce the broker packages by as much as their own products

Samunwise
Mar 18, 2009
Worth also noting in case the broker you talked to didn't specify but they get the same commission regardless of who your loan is eventually with - the only favouritism they'll really show is for banks that they find it easier to deal with. The one I dealt with was upfront that some banks suck rear end at processing so he gave me the best offer as well as an offer that was slightly less competitive but definitely won't get tangled in a settlement document fuckup on the bank side and left it up to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only thing worth doing is to background the broker. Some are lazy, but that's a pitfall with engaging any service.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

We used a broker who was a friend of my sister in law. If we had to find one on our own I would have been a bit lost because its hard to compare them and you're trusting them a fair bit.
They handle a lot of stuff and will usually know decent conveyancers and inspection people etc.
I hate trying to organise things and fill in forms so broker was very valuable for me.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I could swear these were huge scandals a few years ago that brokers would only tell you the one to get was the best one in their interest and not yours. Maybe that got changed or it’s sone other scandal. I think AMP was involved?

So what about RAMS or Aussie home loans? Their ads seem…scummy. rams has 1/2 there google front page full of complaints of bad service…

Comstar fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 13, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Comstar posted:

I could swear these were huge scandals a few years ago that brokers would only tell you the one to get was the best one in their interest and not yours. Maybe that got changed or it’s sone other scandal. I think AMP was involved?

So what about RAMS or Aussie home loans? Their ads seem…scummy. rams has 1/2 there google front page full of complaints of bad service…

There are always scams and scandals in financial advice. If you are that worried just do it yourself. Tbh if I got rinsed .5% (I did not) in exchange for doing gently caress all work and getting what was at the time a loving great deal who cares.

Ask other people who they have used. I don't know anything about rams or whatever, but we used a smaller business on recommendation from a friend. They keep us informed and our broker answers her phone when I have a stupid question years after signing.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It came up during the banking RC but nothing came of it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624868813064884224

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
that's an interesting account, not necessarily for the clickbait adjustments, there are some very softened blows

https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624969671899217925?cxt=HHwWioCwhdTTho0tAAAA
https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624998926322479104

https://twitter.com/ausheadlinebot/status/1624967149109346308

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I remember when Ita Buttrose was first announced as heading up the ABC and someone on SA commented something along the lines of "oh great, soon all ABC headlines will change to hide the details in the body and have coy headlines like "Bridgett's car launches off bridge and you will never guess what happens next!", instead of "Two injured in single vehicle accident at Old Mooney Bridge". Turns out it was so painfully and remarkably true, the ABC news reads like a New Idea cover nowadays.

On broker advice, who is good to talk to for investment advice? I have nearly all my life's savings in a Commbank account, and I get anxiety at the thought of investing in anything even though I know it's the stupidest thing. I'm like Comstar that all the bad noise about brokers/investment scams has me terrified.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"You won't believe what Peter Dutton just apologised for"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Electric Wrigglies posted:

On broker advice, who is good to talk to for investment advice?

Anidav

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Peter Dutton's Summer Fashion Tips: "Hugo Boss is so hot right now"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Seriously though. Dutton's "Now that the wave of popular opinion has turned on the apology to the Stolen Generation so far that even the right wing accepts it was the right thing to do, I regret my performative actions designed to curry favour with the right wing power brokers and put the darkies in their place."

gently caress him. I think he has even done a similar mealy mouthed "regret" for abstaining on the Same-Sex marriage thing. A thing he did for similar PR reasons, (if he abstained he can't be called actively homophobic, but also he can tell his Jesus-Hugging Happy Clapper mates that he never voted for the unholy poofs.)

He should be asked WHY he chose to snub the apology. Coz it was a concious action on his part, that needed several deliberate steps. He can't put it down to an accident or brainfade. And I would like to hear him try to explain "Well I didn't think those abbos deserved an apology then, but I do now. Because of reasons that are totally not that I just don't want to be seen as racist NOW."

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

BrigadierSensible posted:

Seriously though. Dutton's "Now that the wave of popular opinion has turned on the apology to the Stolen Generation so far that even the right wing accepts it was the right thing to do, I regret my performative actions designed to curry favour with the right wing power brokers and put the darkies in their place."

gently caress him. I think he has even done a similar mealy mouthed "regret" for abstaining on the Same-Sex marriage thing. A thing he did for similar PR reasons, (if he abstained he can't be called actively homophobic, but also he can tell his Jesus-Hugging Happy Clapper mates that he never voted for the unholy poofs.)

He should be asked WHY he chose to snub the apology. Coz it was a concious action on his part, that needed several deliberate steps. He can't put it down to an accident or brainfade. And I would like to hear him try to explain "Well I didn't think those abbos deserved an apology then, but I do now. Because of reasons that are totally not that I just don't want to be seen as racist NOW."

His official line is "we hadn't fixed it yet so we shouldn't apologise until we do"

which is an awfully convenient way to say you never have to apologise if you don't do anything to fix it

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Electric Wrigglies posted:

On broker advice, who is good to talk to for investment advice? I have nearly all my life's savings in a Commbank account, and I get anxiety at the thought of investing in anything even though I know it's the stupidest thing. I'm like Comstar that all the bad noise about brokers/investment scams has me terrified.

Read Scott Pape's book. (Not joking.)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

freebooter posted:

Read Scott Pape's book. (Not joking.)

freebooter ... barefoot investor ... i'm joining the dots

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I didn't realize someone here was in the market for a huge quantity of rats!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I haven't read it myself, but my ex did and ran through some of the suggestions and recommendations around household budgeting (and proceeded to do none of them of course).

It seemed like solid advice, and some of it is far enough removed from conventional wisdom that it's clearly not low effort/obvious stuff like paying down high interest credit and loans before trying to save etc. He actually recommends loving off private health insurance, which got my attention, as it seems "controversial" vs the kind of milquetoast advice you nornally see in popular self help literature.

If I recall, he goes on to explain that even if you end up paying the Medicare levy surcharge, PHI is a total scam that will never offer a reasonable ROI, and if you're disciplined enough save a few K and then put what you were paying in premium installments on that for like a year or two instead, you're going to be thousands per year better off.

TBH gently caress our governments for subsidising PHI instead of funding Medicare and then penalizing people who won't participate in the scam.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You can buy PHI that is cheaper than the levy if you earn over the threshold. The PHI cover you get for that is exactly nothing. So you can either pay the levy which is higher or directly flush a slightly smaller amount of money into PHI.
But the levy might do more good if it actually does go to medicare.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I got PHI solely because my partner was going to get slugged the MLS. We are pretty good with savings though, so I might run this past her.

gently caress PHI companies, they loving suck.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I've been paying the medicare levy surcharge on principle for years and now i have to pay loving 4000$ to have wisdom teeth out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jackwfittler/status/1625286552019677184

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I paid for the cheap “avoid the MLS” PHI for a couple of years but it pissed me off to be paying money for a useless product. Now I just donate to some charities each month, it ends up being around about 4-5% of my take home annually, which moves me from tax debt to tax return. Works out for me because I’m supporting charities I care about and not getting slugged with a $1600 debt like I was one year.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

https://twitter.com/AbbieBelrose/status/1625308182074785792?t=qv4N6c8czrdz-wUNMh_DRQ&s=19

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think Pocock should introduce some biff to the parliament, tackle someone as they walk to the box, pick up the rod and belt someone with it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I think Pocock should introduce some biff to the parliament, tackle someone as they walk to the box, pick up the rod and belt someone with it

what the gently caress is that stupid mace for then if theyre not brawling?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

what the gently caress is that stupid mace for then if theyre not brawling?

crushing us plebs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Senator Pocock has requested a budget increase for... tearaway suits. Granted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Senator Pocock has been sent to the sin bin by the speaker