Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

bengraven posted:

"That's not your responsibility; he needs home health care or another family member. It's not your responsibility". Got a loving write up.

gently caress that boss.

Hope she gets abandoned in the very worst old folks home by her family asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
buckhead has been trying to become its own city for my entire life because the residents dont want their tax money funding stuff black people might be able to use

basically same reason marta (our "public" "transit" "system") sucks

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thathonkey posted:

buckhead has been trying to become its own city for my entire life because the residents dont want their tax money funding stuff black people might be able to use

basically same reason marta (our "public" "transit" "system") sucks

During that ice storm trip I mentioned, I was literally riding MARTA from the airport to go to the office when one of my direct reports texted me and said, "Hey, boss, they're sending everyone home, you should just go to your hotel."

Unfortunately, my hotel was 3/4 of a mile from the MARTA station. Walking in the snow with my laptop bag and my suitcase was not fun.

And even though I was supposed to spend the work week in the office (I flew in late Monday morning), I wound up being stuck in my hotel room until Friday (the hotel restaurant ran out of food), and I was only in the office for a few hours because my flight out was at 1 p.m.

The CFO was not happy when he got my expense report.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yea that was a crazy day. one of my coworkers got stuck on the side of the road until the next morning during that storm trying to get back home to the suburbs. also she was pregnant. everyone fine in the end but drat

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but the twisted part of that particular example, and why it sticks in my mind, is that it wasn't originally slated to be razed. They blew it up specifically because some state politician's bar was on the chopping block otherwise.

drat that is bad. Have you read The Power Broker? It has tons of similar examples including Robert Caro at the start not understanding why a road was built in an impractical method then finding out it was because Robert Moses wanted it that way, and Caro realized he couldn’t understand New York road planning without first understanding Moses.

A lot of corporate nonsense is the same way, why does our stock purchase plan require using a fax, why are half the parking spots reserved and empty when new hires park a half mile away, why are we fighting with this random state agency? Because one higher up wants it that way.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

bengraven posted:

I've been WFH since the pandemic. Company already had a WFH system in place (about 5% of employees were remote) and secretly had plans to eventually hit 100% by 2025. But like two months into the pandemic they were like, "poo poo, kids, this is great and it worked out really well". They closed all but one of their offices. My office in Florida was the first to go.

They've spent the last nearly three years trying to learn to keep us under control and their biggest thing is the loving cameras. Back in the day the remote people didn't have to have their cameras on during meetings, they were just like this little WAV icon on the boss's laptop during huddles and poo poo.

They don't trust us to not be smoking or sipping a bottle or hanging with ours kids during meetings.

So after they sent me my second monitor, I started sitting on the floor. When my boss asked why she could only see the top of my head, I lied and said it was because I had to move my laptop to make room for the monitor. She seemed okay with that.

I don't want to show my face. You don't want to see how pissed I am. gently caress them; they have become so repressive with time on the phones that I once got written up for picking my dying father-in-law up off the ground when he fell and hit his head. "Where were you?" I told her the truth. "That's not your responsibility; he needs home health care or another family member. It's not your responsibility". Got a loving write up.

So during meetings, I'm on mute playing on my Steamdeck, playing Genshin like a weeb while my boss is bitching about engagement in huddles.

Unfortunately FMLA doesn't cover in-laws. Next time, lie. gently caress managers like that, I got written up for missing work because of my dying mother because the provider in the hospital I worked that that was seeing her refused to back date the FMLA paperwork. I found out later her assistant just... didn't ever give it to her but by then it was too late to fix it. Best believe I stopped doing anything extra after that.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

You'd think that by now the idea that maybe it's not very clean to just toss garbage on the floor of the cold room would have sunk in. Especially when that floor seems to be perpetually covered in a patina of several days old spilled beer. But clearly, that's not the case.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dumb poo poo a company did that provide an API for us to talk to: send out an email blast to dormant accounts of customers, but forget to put 400+ email addresses in the BCC. This took place over roughly a week.

Company: hello, your account has been inactive for <period>. if you still need it, please login to reactive it, or it will be deleted next month

[5 minutes later]
Company: [user wants to recall this email]

[1 hour later]
Company: our profound apologies, we accidentally sent this with all addresses in CC instead of BCC. we have reported this incident to the Data Protection Authority as a data breach.

[several days of complete radio silence later]
Some guy at another API consumer company: thanks for all these email addresses! I'll make some nice coin selling them on the black market lololol

[next monday]
Another person at the same company: our apologies for the previous message. this guy has been fired.

--
I was absolutely marveling at 1) the fact that nobody for several days replied 'unsubscribe', 2) this professional goof made a terrible joke at a company that provides an API for retrieving very serious government information about real-world people. :psyduck:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lmao the company that bought us in 2019 is officially spinning us off back into our own company. So all the work we've put in to integrate with their dumbass systems and processes is all for nothing.

They're also apparently insisting that our HQ will not be here, where it was, but where the company that bought us is HQ'd.

This year is going to get so loving stupid and I can't wait.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CEO is doing a speech about the spin-off and is wide-eyed, grinning psychotically, and imploring people to come back to the offices (most of our offices are closed).

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

CEO is doing a speech about the spin-off and is wide-eyed, grinning psychotically, and imploring people to come back to the offices (most of our offices are closed).

Has he announced who the CEO, president, etc.. of the spin off will be? You need to see if they're gonna use it as a life raft to abandon their sinking ship.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
First day at a new gig. They're shifting into separate companies so I get two email addresses - one for actual use, one for gaining access to all the infrastructure.

So. Many. Trainings. Stacked all day with trainings. Send help.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lmao the company that bought us in 2019 is officially spinning us off back into our own company. So all the work we've put in to integrate with their dumbass systems and processes is all for nothing.

They're also apparently insisting that our HQ will not be here, where it was, but where the company that bought us is HQ'd.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

First day at a new gig. They're shifting into separate companies so I get two email addresses - one for actual use, one for gaining access to all the infrastructure.

So. Many. Trainings. Stacked all day with trainings. Send help.

I really, really want the two of you to be posting about the same place

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MarxCarl posted:

Has he announced who the CEO, president, etc.. of the spin off will be? You need to see if they're gonna use it as a life raft to abandon their sinking ship.

Lol, it's apparently the CEO we had before we got bought. Or at the very least, he's coming back as some sort of "transition advisor". The current CEO is from our old exec suite too and she took over to unfuck the mess the CEO who bought us made of everything.

Also the shitfucker exec we eventually report to just scheduled a meeting about for tomorrow at seven loving thirty am. At least I work from home tomorrow...

Freaquency posted:

I really, really want the two of you to be posting about the same place

No second email address... Yet. It's funny, I remember being riddled with anxiety when we originally got bought.

This news dropped and I started cackling. I apparently am very eager for poo poo to get REAL dumb around here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hah, 0730. Not a loving chance, mate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I got an 8am phone call from someone at a partner organization who have 8-5 hours. He explains he didn't see working hours on our website so just assumed it was cool to call. I'm 80% sure is was a weird flex.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MarxCarl posted:

This ends up being a little difficult to use as a metric. When we split off a couple of our companies before a merger and I joked we were sending these executive directors to the shadow realm by putting them in the spun off companies and my wife would point out that these guys were going to be VPs and such and are taking the job because it's a good way to get the bigger title before they jump back "home" in a couple years. It also happens this way inside companies all the time where someone will leave a major platform or business unit to take over a much smaller or less important department. It looks like a punishment or lateral move by some, but sometimes the only way you get to be a site lead or something is by hopping levels where they appear rather than waiting for the ones in your org to open up.

Luckily, no new questions have come in from my old position today. I'm hoping my lack of communication has been understood as me expecting the questions pertaining to the team will stay on the team. The problem is that now I'm on a new team where someone was trying to upload a file to a shared drive and was very upset that they couldn't make it happen. At first I thought it was an issue with access, but then they shared their screen and I saw she was in some form of index. It was like she had pasted the link to the folder into Chrome or Windows Search or something, I have no idea how she got there. I had to step by step direct her to the File Explorer (The thing on your task bar that looks like a manilla folder!") and explain how to paste text/addresses into the bar. This person has been around for a while and with the company for eight years. How has she never seen the FILE EXPLORER IN A COMPANY THAT HAS USED WINDOWS FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lazyfire posted:

How has she never seen the FILE EXPLORER IN A COMPANY THAT HAS USED WINDOWS FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

It's baffling. On the flip side, one day I was visiting my late-60s mother, and she said she wanted to show me some cool pictures of feral cats in some ancient Greek ruins. She proceeded to click down through her folder of saved pictures into cats, cat's outside, and finally the cats in ruins folder.

I blame Steve Jobs. Apple got Spotlight to the point where meticulously organized folder structures were obsolete for documents where you have metadata and the content indexed. Google Drive does this too. If I can get a list of spreadsheets shared to me by a specific person, I don't need to spend time organizing everything. We do organize the Shared Drive though, we have to be able to find other people's stuff without bothering them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lazyfire posted:

. How has she never seen the FILE EXPLORER IN A COMPANY THAT HAS USED WINDOWS FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

A few months ago I had to step-by-step a senior person in a very data-heavy, technical role through how to insert a row in excel.

That's in. loving insert row. I have no idea how this person has functioned, they've got about ten years with the organization and are in position where I can't imagine how they've handled poo poo if they're not touching excel.

I found out recently she asked one of the two people I report to the exact same question.

This isn't some 70 year old person with one foot in retirement, either. They are maybe in their mid-40s. Very much of an age where they would have been working with computers their entire professional lives.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That perfect folder system is cool. Very trad.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
About 13 years ago I saw someone whose job it was to fill in a spreadsheet with a bunch of numerical information including providing a total calculate that total by totting up the individual numbers on a hand held calculator and typing it into the cell.

People will learn the absolute minimum required to do their tasks, and then never try to improve.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cthulu Carl posted:

that drug factory I worked at has had 3-4 names since I left, and had 3 names while I worked there. I think total since the 80's is... somewhere around 30 now?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

goatface posted:

That perfect folder system is cool. Very trad.

I use it as an example when she's doing negative self-talk about her computer skills. She's ahead of a lot of people who use computers all day at work.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few months ago I had to step-by-step a senior person in a very data-heavy, technical role through how to insert a row in excel.

That's in. loving insert row. I have no idea how this person has functioned, they've got about ten years with the organization and are in position where I can't imagine how they've handled poo poo if they're not touching excel.

I found out recently she asked one of the two people I report to the exact same question.

This isn't some 70 year old person with one foot in retirement, either. They are maybe in their mid-40s. Very much of an age where they would have been working with computers their entire professional lives.

You don't get promoted by being good at Excel

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slurm posted:

You don't get promoted by being good at Excel

Yeah being good at Excel is how you stay a peon with your invaluable, irreplaceable experience

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

failson kids who were raised on conservative, pro-business, pro-American Dream mythos, who 'shoot for the stars'/'dream big'/'take big risks for big rewards',

there's no infrastructure investment- it's considered a waste of money. Just Build Things. Get them going, figure out the rest later. That's Good Business!

You have no idea how many breweries this describes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to explain to my boss again why it's hard to get an accurate carbonation level with single-wall tanks sitting in a cold room and no tools to take accurate CO2 measurements.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Lazyfire posted:

This ends up being a little difficult to use as a metric. When we split off a couple of our companies before a merger and I joked we were sending these executive directors to the shadow realm by putting them in the spun off companies and my wife would point out that these guys were going to be VPs and such and are taking the job because it's a good way to get the bigger title before they jump back "home" in a couple years. It also happens this way inside companies all the time where someone will leave a major platform or business unit to take over a much smaller or less important department. It looks like a punishment or lateral move by some, but sometimes the only way you get to be a site lead or something is by hopping levels where they appear rather than waiting for the ones in your org to open up.

Luckily, no new questions have come in from my old position today. I'm hoping my lack of communication has been understood as me expecting the questions pertaining to the team will stay on the team. The problem is that now I'm on a new team where someone was trying to upload a file to a shared drive and was very upset that they couldn't make it happen. At first I thought it was an issue with access, but then they shared their screen and I saw she was in some form of index. It was like she had pasted the link to the folder into Chrome or Windows Search or something, I have no idea how she got there. I had to step by step direct her to the File Explorer (The thing on your task bar that looks like a manilla folder!") and explain how to paste text/addresses into the bar. This person has been around for a while and with the company for eight years. How has she never seen the FILE EXPLORER IN A COMPANY THAT HAS USED WINDOWS FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

mllaneza posted:

It's baffling. On the flip side, one day I was visiting my late-60s mother, and she said she wanted to show me some cool pictures of feral cats in some ancient Greek ruins. She proceeded to click down through her folder of saved pictures into cats, cat's outside, and finally the cats in ruins folder.

I blame Steve Jobs. Apple got Spotlight to the point where meticulously organized folder structures were obsolete for documents where you have metadata and the content indexed. Google Drive does this too. If I can get a list of spreadsheets shared to me by a specific person, I don't need to spend time organizing everything. We do organize the Shared Drive though, we have to be able to find other people's stuff without bothering them.

And why the gently caress will nobody give me a job?!?

Everywhere I go I am a peon but never get promoted because there is ALWAYS somebody above me who is literally angry that I’m competent. And there are constantly superiors who don’t even understand how to read, let alone the basics of any given program or OS.

I often feel terrible for tech support at my jobs since superiors are always like,” call tech support “ on something easy. Or there’s the opposite,” No, you can’t call tech support because we have too many phone calls.” When it’s something that MUST be reset by someone in the IT department and the specific issue causes us to not be able to do our jobs and that is why there are now lots of calls holding.

Just so much stupid. So much stupid that get paid far more than they are worth.

Breetai posted:

About 13 years ago I saw someone whose job it was to fill in a spreadsheet with a bunch of numerical information including providing a total calculate that total by totting up the individual numbers on a hand held calculator and typing it into the cell.

People will learn the absolute minimum required to do their tasks, and then never try to improve.
Why though!?! Why keep being stupid when they don’t have to be!?!

I’m not mad at anyone in this thread. I’m just super angry at life in general.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 13, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bored posted:

Why though!?! Why keep being stupid when they don’t have to be!?!

Being smart sucks. Or, so I have heard. I'm super loving dumb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

mllaneza posted:

I use it as an example when she's doing negative self-talk about her computer skills. She's ahead of a lot of people who use computers all day at work.

Your mom's indexing game is on point

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Search based file storage is objectively terrible

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Magnetic North posted:

Being smart sucks. Or, so I have heard. I'm super loving dumb.

Why would you give your mental energies to your loving job, I say, as I work on a kit of personal tools to take to work

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My company has been in the process of spinning off from the parent company for a few years now I think. I hear things about it from time to time. Apparently it'll mean less hoops to jump through but I dunno. My friend said it's a common thing here for companies to spin off, increase their value, then go back to their original parent company, thus increasing their overall value.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Breetai posted:

Dang. A fresh young hire mentioned watching a coworker who’s been there 20+ years be asked to make a simple Excel sheet, and watched as they took out a piece of paper, ruler, and pen and got to work.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I make reports. If I work on a report, I need to update the completion rate % of the report in 4 different locations. DevOps, an internal team excel spreadsheet, an external team excel spreadsheet and an online spreadsheet. There is also a BI report that I made that looks at the internal spreadsheet and turns it into pretty charts that track completion rates.

My boss also has daily standups with the team, where he updates his own spreadsheet with the same info.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Milling unmalted wheat is a pain in the rear end.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Escape From Noise posted:

So, just malt it! Bing bong simple!*

*warning: I know nothing about milling or malting. I also don't know poo poo about wheat. Take advice at your own risk.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Escape From Noise posted:

Gives you some respect for the pre-industrial millers, though.

We used to have a stone hand mill as a "make your own flour and use some of it to make pancakes" viking reenactment exhibit - it really does take a lot of grinding to get enough flour for a meal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Gives you some respect for the pre-industrial millers, though.

We used to have a stone hand mill as a "make your own flour and use some of it to make pancakes" viking reenactment exhibit - it really does take a lot of grinding to get enough flour for a meal.

It'd probably be easier if I wasn't using a malt mill. It put a lot of stress on the rollers so I opened the gate only partway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I figured the 7:30 AM meeting about our old company spinning off again would be pointless, but I attended anyway because gently caress it, I'm home, I can just clock in a bit earlier than normal. IT exceeded my expectations.

My only takeaway was that this was in the very preliminary stages of being discussed and leaks over the weekend sent everyone into a panic because ALL the questions people asked were met with "Dunno yet."

I think the closest thing to a solid answer they gave was that both companies would probably not do layoffs and in fact hire more people which.. LMAO, yeah, can't wait to see how that actually works out.

At least I got paid to laugh at corporate ineptitude while in sweatpants and playing Animal Crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Really how bad can a job be if you can do it in sweatpants