Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

i like both so I'll grift it up

please don’t crucify me if you don’t like it. for whatever reason I’ve seen a fair amount of people bounce off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She made a deal with black Phillip and just does whatever she wants

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

She made a deal with black Phillip and just does whatever she wants

She’s truly living deliciously

Metroid Prime Remastered is very good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did Anya Taylor-Joy have to profess a lifelong love of gaming like Chris Pratt did

Her role in The Queen's Gambit is enough proof of her devotion to the art of Game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She even loves burger like true gamer do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We should get a new MegaMan Battle Network game but it's like that weird sonic game and you can make your own NetNavi.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is insanely, ridiculously good OP. I'm not even joking I don't know how they pulled it off on the Switch

GameCube was the first console I bought with my own money and Metroid Prime one of the first games. I can’t begin to tell you how happy this post makes me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was able to beat the final tutorial mission in Space Hulk. Much like the second tutorial mission, I won because for some reason the AI didn't deploy any Genestealers near the starting area so I was able to make a decent amount of progress before I lost my first guy.

I then lost the first proper mission. I would consult a walkthrough but there's so much loving luck in this game that I don't even know how a walkthrough would work.

And I gotta say, the animation on this game is not good. They didn't make different animations for the same attack, every time a Genestealer attacks with it's claws it's exactly the same. And Genestealers only attack with their claws. And Genestealers are the only enemy. Terminators don't get off much better, the AI for a loving grid base movement system is appalling, with Terminators turning for no reason to walk sideways for one square before turning in the correct direction. It's not like there are even different grids, it's literally just the same pathways and rooms as in the board game.

The sound is a mixed bag. The voices are all great. But the weapon sounds are pathetic. It's a loving Storm Bolter, an automatic double barreled pistol firing explosive rounds the size of coke cans. It should make a good meaty gun sound. It does not. When the Genestealer attacks it makes little whipping through the air noises. They didn't even make different noises for attacks that hit.

Basically, the way it so perfectly represents the mechanics of a very simple, very luck based board game make the gameplay rather underwhelming, I feel like I have little control over how well I do. And on top of that, the presentation is extremely lacking. I like this setting, if they had jazzed it up at all I would be happy to spend a few more hours tromping around in the corridors. If there was lore to unlock, or cool finishing animations, or a strong narrative, I'd keep playing for that.

As it stands, this is a list of things which I believe to be in the game which I have not yet seen. And by things I mean, literally anything. Animations, models, textures, anything.

-There is an option to change the colors of the Genestealers. I haven't unlocked any yet, but I assume it'll have the big Hivefleets.
-The Space Hulk board game features a Librarian and a Broodlord. I assume both will be in the game, and both will have four or five unique animations
-There was a very brief opening cinematic. I assume there will also be a brief ending cinematic.

And man, that's not enough to make me keep going.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 14, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I remember the board game fondly but if there isn't an option to play as the Genestealers, I ain't interested

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HopperUK posted:

I remember the board game fondly but if there isn't an option to play as the Genestealers, I ain't interested

Oh, it's possible you can unlock that? There was one reference to how the Genestealers play that mention a decision made by "player/AI" which implies that you can play as Genestealers. Maybe only in multiplayer.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I finished Yakuza: Like A Dragon last night. Cool story, great characters. #protectichi. Turn based combat ain’t really my thing though. Taking a little break to finish Pentiment and do some low-impact video gaming before diving into Lost Judgement since I got that on sale recently.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I finished Yakuza: Like A Dragon last night. Cool story, great characters. #protectichi. Turn based combat ain’t really my thing though.

it's always seemed kind of unusual to me that turn-based with timed attacks has historically been almost exclusively the purview of paper mario and its imitators, even though adding an action element to turn-based seems like a perfect way to punch it up for a more mature or realistic game

makes me wonder if LAD's relative success might inspire some experimenting along those lines, even though turn-based has been out of the limelight for a long while now

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

HopperUK posted:

The Genestealer ping/motion token mechanic was amazingly elegant for creating the Aliens(1986) feel on the table top in the WH40k universe. Did any other games ever use that mechanic?

I also wonder how the Deathwing weird sorta Native American lore that came with the expansion held up. Probably best to leave that buried.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doingitwrong posted:

I also wonder how the Deathwing weird sorta Native American lore that came with the expansion held up. Probably best to leave that buried.

I know GW has completely abandoned it. There's no Native American character to the Dark Angels anymore, now it's all classic medieval knights and ~the dark secret~

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Waffleman_ posted:

Her role in The Queen's Gambit is enough proof of her devotion to the art of Game

You mean the board game of The Queen's Gambit? Sure her face is on it but I don't know if she played it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isn't the board game of the queen's gambit "chess"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vermain posted:

Chess isn't real

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vermain posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NIXON: Jesus Christ.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

How is this

Like did they do a good job remastering the graphics or is it sorta flat?

it's absurdly good, the graphics are gorgeous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was really enjoying the pathfinder kingmaker rhythm… long pauses between major quests, allowing time to bulk up the kingdom / explore / do side quests, being efficient with how I spend my time.
This last stretch of main quest was pretty daunting, lots of running around through mountains in the far corner of the map, and a tough dungeon to cap it off (first time I had to rest inside of a dungeon!!), and I was looking forward to the r&r after completing it.

But then, once I do defeat the dungeon’s big boss… I lose one party member for plot reasons, and after returning to my capital I’m suddenly thrust into TWO seemingly urgent main quests, plus the plot takes another party member from me! I just wanted to reorganize my guys’ equipment, but how can I with two of my guys having run off with some important items?? How can I catch up on the various kingdom tasks I put aside to tackle the dungeon asap?? I have to leave my capital?? Discombobulating!

Made me feel tired

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Looper posted:

it's absurdly good, the graphics are gorgeous

Just so you don’t get too hyped: the graphics are great for a Switch game. Still a great improvement over how the game looked on the cube, and at a full 60FPS.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
:rolleyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it can't run on the switch, it has too much graphics

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ymgve posted:

Just so you don’t get too hyped: the graphics are great for a Switch game. Still a great improvement over how the game looked on the cube, and at a full 60FPS.

:thanks:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gundam SD Battle Alliance remains perplexing. Like obviously the game is functional and works and the multiplayer is surprisingly easy and intuitive for a japanese game, but Im almost done with the game and theres just so many things I dont get why they decided what they did.

Im also not like, a huge gundamn fan, but even if I was I dont think the story delivers on its premise at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

it's always seemed kind of unusual to me that turn-based with timed attacks has historically been almost exclusively the purview of paper mario and its imitators, even though adding an action element to turn-based seems like a perfect way to punch it up for a more mature or realistic game

makes me wonder if LAD's relative success might inspire some experimenting along those lines, even though turn-based has been out of the limelight for a long while now

Seriously, simply adding a tiny element that actually requires your input or attention goes a long way from making turn based combat into menu selections + waiting till allowed to make the same selection again, into actual combat.

Wario Ware games are also fun of super tiny mechanics that'd actually be really fun worked into RPG attacks and would still be faster in a lot of cases.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I absolutely hate timed button presses in RPG combat and the only reason I was ok with Yakuza 7 is you can turn them off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If you're talking about the old space hulk PC game, I played that a bit when it came out. It is too luck-based, as you said. I think the only option would be to savescum (iirc that would involve file system copies etc), because after surviving a mission or two a marine will level up and be more likely to melee hit, and kill a genestealer. If you had a fully leveled party it would be easier. I think I only ever got about five missions in before I gave up, but started from the beginning a bunch of times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Adding action to turn based just makes it worse. If I wanted to play an action game I'd play an action game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A 14 months after purchase, another drifting controller.

(one of the nipples is misaligned)

I barely even use the stick buttons on this one because Steam let's me get around it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

cheetah7071 posted:

If it can't run on the switch, it has too much graphics

this is just math

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Im supposed to release a video computer game on TV without this graphic!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bought slay the spire on switch, tested it out to see how the controls work without a mouse, suddenly it’s two hours later

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Bought slay the spire on switch, tested it out to see how the controls work without a mouse, suddenly it’s two hours later

they used to be worse. i didn't even realize some information was available to the player until I played with a mouse (but iirc it's fine with a controller now).

i don't know why the game wasn't more popular. it's a well executed StS-like with some neat ideas and a great presentation, from a well liked developer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hardcore L op

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rinkles posted:

they used to be worse. i didn't even realize some information was available to the player until I played with a mouse (but iirc it's fine with a controller now).

i don't know why the game wasn't more popular. it's a well executed StS-like with some neat ideas and a great presentation, from a well liked developer.

Oh StS is what I bought, not griftlands. I’m a coward and went for the known quantity

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haha

(I can't read)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

I absolutely hate timed button presses in RPG combat and the only reason I was ok with Yakuza 7 is you can turn them off.

What about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont know what a Hashamal is in Gundam but its my favorite thing in the setting cause its so OP I cant beat it solo in any of the story missions it appears and must beg for online help to win.

Infinitum posted:

What about now?

Did not like this game, did not play any subsequent titles in the series.