Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

lmao @ terror of roundabouts
And the metric system. What next, communism!?

Tenebrais posted:

How does the electric kettles question account for America already having those
The question is "can boil water quickly" which those can't, on account of the dumb 110v grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

Since when is it illegal to drink alcohol outside? :wtc:

Since To Kill A Mockinbird at least...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Americans are so cucked they’ll spend hundreds on TurboTax just to stick it to the evil gummint.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mobby_6kl posted:

The question is "can boil water quickly" which those can't, on account of the dumb 110v grid.

True, to a point. Here, enjoy the Technology Connections guy telling you all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Freaquency posted:

Who are the psychopaths that want the zero-privacy stall doors :psyduck:
People terrified other people might be doing a drug in them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Japan has hundred‐volt mains, and the slow kettle problem was solved there decades ago.

You keep the water hot at all times in an insulated dispenser. Zojirushi is a major brand.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've already got a big one of those in my utility closet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

If someone is doing a drug I would like to not watch them do it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

sweek0 posted:

I'm surprised bidets are more popular than the metric system.

We already have automatic tax deductions. I don't understand why they're conflating that with how tax returns work.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

We already have automatic tax deductions. I don't understand why they're conflating that with how tax returns work.

(A) The government doesn't calculate your tax withholding. You do, by filling out and giving your employer a W-4, and your employer does, by doing math on every paycheck. There is a lot of room here for errors and for employers intentionally screwing over their employees.

(B) If you have income outside of your job, such as from self-employment, investments, or retirement accounts, there may or may not be someone doing the appropriate withholding. If not, you are in for a bad surprise at the end of the year.

(C) Even if your withholding is all correct, this doesn't prevent you from needing to calculate your own tax and file a tax return, which is unnecessarily complex even for people with simple finances.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tenebrais posted:

How does the electric kettles question account for America already having those

You don’t understand, they are inefficient. You can boil water for tea like 30 seconds faster under the watchful gaze of King Charles III.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OwlFancier posted:

I think there's basically a set of people who just want society to be poo poo because it's always been poo poo.

Be sure to give them your vote!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Telegnostic posted:

(A) The government doesn't calculate your tax withholding. You do, by filling out and giving your employer a W-4, and your employer does, by doing math on every paycheck. There is a lot of room here for errors and for employers intentionally screwing over their employees.

(B) If you have income outside of your job, such as from self-employment, investments, or retirement accounts, there may or may not be someone doing the appropriate withholding. If not, you are in for a bad surprise at the end of the year.

(C) Even if your withholding is all correct, this doesn't prevent you from needing to calculate your own tax and file a tax return, which is unnecessarily complex even for people with simple finances.

I would love it if the government just sent everyone a completed tax form saying "This is correct to the best of our knowledge. If you accept our numbers, then sign here and either send us a check or tell us where to send the refund amount. Or if you have information we don't and which you want to include, like you want to deduct your gaming chair as a business expense or something, then great! Here's the blank forms, fill them out just like always and send that in instead." Unfortunately, H&R Block, TurboTax, and the rest of that crowd make enormous amounts of money from the 99% of us who would just take the government's numbers and be done with it, so they very effectively lobby Congress to keep things as they are.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I think there's basically a set of people who just want society to be poo poo because it's always been poo poo.

Yes, but enough about the people who pretend traffic circles are good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Traffic circles are cool and good, you can tell someone's a bad driver by how much they complain about them.

(weird mega-circles excluded)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Since when is it illegal to drink alcohol outside? :wtc:

On public property? Always as far as I can tell outside of places with unique open container laws.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

It is pretty neat when you're in a foreign country and the convenience store cashier offers to open your beer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Yes, but enough about the people who pretend traffic circles are good.

They're really easy to use and basically the ideal solution to mid-density traffic on crossroads if you have the space for one, and if you don't have the space for one then familiarity for them allows you to use mini roundabouts which basically are a crossroads with a self-resolving priority order.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've got a lot of alcoholic relatives living in Hood River, OR

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

do not recognize most of them but the ones I do make me wonder what definition of "leftist" this is

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It is pretty neat when you're in a foreign country and the convenience store cashier offers to open your beer.

Pretty random feeling map. A rare state by state law map that you couldn’t just overlay with national electoral results or similar things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Traffic circles are the Dvorak keyboard of roadway design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's literally easier than using a t junction, the traffic comes from one direction, do not drive in front of oncoming traffic, that is all.

They are used at T junctions on major roads for this reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Traffic circles are the Dvorak keyboard of roadway design.

Using traffic circles doesn’t rewire your brain to make it harder to navigate intersections with stop signs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

On public property? Always as far as I can tell outside of places with unique open container laws.

Huh. I hadn't ever heard of this, but it seems to be a whole big thing. It never would have occurred to me that drinking a beer on the sidewalk would be something anyone would want to legally ban (unless they were straight-up alcohol prohibitionists, and then the sidewalk wouldn't be the important part), but I guess most of the country does so.

I've learned something today.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Powered Descent posted:

Huh. I hadn't ever heard of this, but it seems to be a whole big thing. It never would have occurred to me that drinking a beer on the sidewalk would be something anyone would want to legally ban (unless they were straight-up alcohol prohibitionists, and then the sidewalk wouldn't be the important part), but I guess most of the country does so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrWiwUM3FA&t=49s

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

You ever seen someone drinking out of a bottle with a paper bag over it? That's why.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

It's literally easier than using a t junction, the traffic comes from one direction, do not drive in front of oncoming traffic, that is all.

They are used at T junctions on major roads for this reason.

You might think differently if you had to use them with Americans.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pretty random feeling map. A rare state by state law map that you couldn’t just overlay with national electoral results or similar things.

You do have to wonder what the history is behind it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

You do have to wonder what the history is behind it

Trying to figure out the cities where it's legal. New Orleans and Las Vegas: duh. Sonoma? Wine country. Erie and Butte??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Erie and Butte??

existential agony

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

OwlFancier posted:

do not recognize most of them but the ones I do make me wonder what definition of "leftist" this is
Going by some of the figures trusted/near trusted, a very stupid one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I agree with the propaganda column, I just don't know anyone other than Briahna from the trusted list

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Saints Row's gender slider was such a big step forward, it was a drat shame they rolled it back to a binary choice for 3 and onward
I think it was mostly a consequence of every character's animations in 2 being rigged off of the same skeleton (also how Gentlemen of the Row let you use the animations for any character in the game). Different NPCs and the player gender slider deformed some of the animation bones and pulled the mesh around to make people look different. The downside of doing it like that is that it makes the animations more janky since the animator doesn't know as much about where the model skin is. Discrete choices let you switch the animation instead of having to do one-size-fits-all-size-bones (at the expense of doing more animation work).

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Telegnostic posted:

Fair enough. But isn't that math really simple? And how do you screw over an employee with that?

Telegnostic posted:

Or if your job changes. And all of these can retroactively change the witholding you should have done. The only way to get the right number is once the year is over. You can't just calculate it upfront.

Telegnostic posted:

That's right on my main point. Changing how withholding works and changing how returns works are almost completely different topics. The solution they propose for tax returns is nonsense in multiple ways.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in denmark theres two filings, one called the forskudsopgørelse which is based on the govt's best guess for the coming/current year. you can continually update that to change the withholding if say you change jobs or refinance your mortgage or something. then after year end there's the årsopgørelse which should be accurate (its based on reported numbers from jobs/banks) but you can change that too if you have to

then if the govt accepts the (revised) årsopgørelse, any difference between the withholding and your calculated taxes is either billed to you or paid out to your nemkonto (main bank account that all are supposed to have)

its only really necessary to do anything if you have major changes in finances over the year. im fairly sure my forskudsopgørelse is accurate (updated it twice cause i changed my hours at work plus i got a bank loan to pay my parents a ton of money i owed them from when i was unemployed a couple years back) but we'll see how accurate i was when my årsopgørelse comes (usually in march)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

For such a paranoid-looking graph, the message is pretty credulous. Since when is news the opposite of propaganda?

e: vvv looks that way!

Ragnar34 has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Feb 14, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Apparently the biggest factor in whether you're trusted or propaganda is how much time you spend on social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Japan has hundred‐volt mains, and the slow kettle problem was solved there decades ago.

You keep the water hot at all times in an insulated dispenser. Zojirushi is a major brand.

Doesn't Japan have an unholy mishmash of both voltage systems?

Splicer posted:

Over here, in places where people are more likely to do drugs, they tend to put blue monochromatic lights in toilets. That makes it supposedly impossible to see your veins.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Traffic circles are cool and good, you can tell someone's a bad driver by how much they complain about them.

(weird mega-circles excluded)

There's a bit of a definition question here. I don't know how common this is, but over here, "traffic circles" refer to the mega ones with stop lights at every incoming road, or at the ancient design where cars driving onto the circle have priority over those already on the roundabout. It turns out that is a bad design that has even less throughput than a regular intersection.

A roundabout, on the other hand, is the modern kind, where cars on the roundabout always have priority over cars wanting to enter the roundabout. It is both safer and has higher throughput than a regular intersection.

Therefor, my opinion is that traffic circles are bad while roundabouts are good.