Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

You haven't even begun to see the silliness.

Straight up killing a lovecraftian horror that exists outside the concept of time and space was simply amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Would this be the place to post about English authors making isekai stories? Not really sure where that would go. There's one or two English first webnovels I might recommend.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The title does say "any isekai you drat well please", go for it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Would this be the place to post about English authors making isekai stories? Not really sure where that would go. There's one or two English first webnovels I might recommend.

I’d probably go to the Web Serials thread first.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

The title does say "any isekai you drat well please", go for it.

I've been plugging through "Chrysalis" (https://www.webnovel.com/book/chrysalis_11236791006300205) over the past few weeks and I'm enjoying it. There's a bit of "Tower of God", a lot of "So I'm a Spider? So What?". The MC basically starves to death on Earth (presumably in some Anglophone country, though it hasn't been stated which one at least as far as I've read) and is reincarnated on Pangea as an ant. The first... maybe quarter of the series doesn't have much in the way of dialog and it's mostly his monologue as he struggles to survive, but the characters open up a lot as the story goes on.

I've also been following "The Reincarnation of Alysara" (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/278151/the-reincarnation-of-alysara/) which I've enjoyed because it's largely been a a deep dive into the magic system. Bonus points for absolutely no slavery by the protaganist! It's a bit dry though and hasn't really worked into much of the overarching plot until the more recent chapters so I can certainly see some folks losing interest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you like Alysara due to the dive into magic, you might also like A Budding Scientist in a Fantasy World. Alice gets pulled into another world and finds herself incredibly curious about the System and magic, and dives into trying to figure out the details of how it all works (when she's not having to spend her time not starving and/or freezing to death).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Brought To You By posted:

Straight up killing a lovecraftian horror that exists outside the concept of time and space was simply amazing.

By the way, was Takatou even aware of the thing or did he kill it on pure autopilot? Probably the former but it's quite unclear how much the human shaped body he's inhabiting limits him.
Well, how much it limits his awareness, because his powers? :lmao: He's Death taking a sabbatical learning how to human, any assholes can :dunkedon:
(self imposed limits are still limits, I doubt anyone and anything else could ever slow him down)

For me the best thing is how Takatou's mom in the flashbacks and Dannoura in the present are completely at ease with him. "This dork is Death?", you can see them thinking. Here goes all existential dread about mortality, because who could ever be scared of him.
(all the assholes, but they don't count)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Omobono posted:

By the way, was Takatou even aware of the thing or did he kill it on pure autopilot? Probably the former but it's quite unclear how much the human shaped body he's inhabiting limits him.
Well, how much it limits his awareness, because his powers? :lmao: He's Death taking a sabbatical learning how to human, any assholes can :dunkedon:
(self imposed limits are still limits, I doubt anyone and anything else could ever slow him down)

For me the best thing is how Takatou's mom in the flashbacks and Dannoura in the present are completely at ease with him. "This dork is Death?", you can see them thinking. Here goes all existential dread about mortality, because who could ever be scared of him.

It's unclear how much awareness he has aside from "this thing wants to kill me" but with the number of things able to kill him if he didn't have his power I think it's fair if he kills on reflex. It's interesting how the research and containment association in the flashback isn't quite willing to try killing the boy so they never learn the extent of his power, unlike the rival association which gets wiped out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I don't need it to be science fiction, but are there any isekai that do feature traveling to different worlds sort of like Stargate, Star Trek, or even Sliders? I feel like it's a missed opportunity especially since serialization would work hand in hand with jumping to various locations for both episodic adventures but overarching ones.

After the way of thr devil guy works out until he becomes a t-rex, eventually he finds out thr eay to get swoler is to reincarnate into alternate universe versions of himself, work out more, solve their problems and take home the sick gains

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
was Wizard of Oz a western otome isekai story?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GateOfD posted:

The Wizard of Oz, as a series, is definitely isekai. Multiple people from Earth transported to a magic realm that is largely cut off from our normal world (even if the barrier is just a concealment spell and a magic desert that turns you to dust).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GateOfD posted:

No. Oz is supposedly located in an uncharted place in the real world, such that Dorothy could just get blown in by a tornado or the Wizard drift in on a balloon.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Omobono posted:

I like to think that he knew but he just didn’t bother bringing it up to anyone since it was just as much of a threat to them as all the other random assholes/monsters he’s been killing up till then

His #1 concern is making sure his gf stays safe and filling her in on the existential horrors of the universe goes against that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

After the way of thr devil guy works out until he becomes a t-rex, eventually he finds out thr eay to get swoler is to reincarnate into alternate universe versions of himself, work out more, solve their problems and take home the sick gains

at one point he reincarnates as a squirrel and still becomes a horrifying muscle monster that leaves only destruction behind, i think.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GateOfD posted:

I like to say that the most distinct difference between the current isekai wave and the previous waves of subsubgeneres of portal fiction is that the isekai protagonist doesn't want to return to their old home.
By that definition, the wizard of oz is not an isekai.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

I like to say that the most distinct difference between the current isekai wave and the previous waves of subsubgeneres of portal fiction is that the isekai protagonist doesn't want to return to their old home.

By this metric there are a bunch of isekai with isekai literally in the title that aren't actually isekai, lol.

Also,

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

at one point he reincarnates as a squirrel and still becomes a horrifying muscle monster that leaves only destruction behind, i think.

This is the immortality path of the Sphere of Matter in OD&D

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

That doesn’t track, as many isekai protagonists have the goal of returning home.

It also doesn’t really apply to the Oz series, as Dorothy moves to Oz permanently in the 6th book when she’s able to bring her Aunt and Uncle along.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Wizard of Oz is not an Isekai, but God of War (2018) and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart are

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"Isekai" just means "different realm" in Japanese. You don't have to go to another world or anything.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown is a food-themed isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh in that case, National Treasure is an isekai

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
going to work is an isekai. going home afterward is obviously a reverse isekai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

going to work is an isekai. going home afterward is obviously a reverse isekai.

That time I got hit by Truck-Kun and went to the hospital but the ER was taking too long so I went to work instead.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

That time I got hit by Truck-Kun and went to the hospital but the ER was taking too long so I went to work instead.

"What cheat powers did you get?!"

» "Dissociation. And before I knew it I had clocked out and returned to my world."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Most 2D Mario games have about 8-10 Isekais.

Been really enjoying the reincarnation mangas, since May I Ask You Just One Last Thing? I'm a Spider, So What? and Don't Overlook the Reincarnated Granny - The Second Life of a Former Villainous Empress aside (I can't remember any that aren't isekai and 'Whoops, I'm a lady now' like A Wild Last Boss Appeared! and Yakuza Reincarnation) I can't remember many action isekai with female leads. But that's a; Can't sort my 500+ followed manga on mangadex by genre problem than it is anything else. I wish Yankee Akuyaku Reijou: Tensei Tenka Yuiga Dokuson had been translated, despite that though.

Lord Awkward posted:

"What cheat powers did you get?!"

"Dissociation. And before I knew it I had clocked out and returned to my world."

Losing time via alien abduction or anesthesia is also an isekai.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Spider-man: into the isekai

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Author isekai’ing into his own work subtype has had a good thumbs up ratio for me so far.

The Novel’s Extra put me in a fevor and read the web novel all over 2-3 all nighters.
No comment on the web toon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
novel's extra is really fun for what amounts to an extended :jerkbag: in webnovel form. unfortunately, the various imitations are mostly terrible. then there's the subtype where the work of fiction the creator transmigrates into is a game, but none of those authors seem to have ever played a video game and are very confused by the concept.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

e: he says "die" so he was probably aware he was being targeted at least

Also yeah Takatou is fairly reasonable as long as you're not a weird little psycho, shoutouts to his cool mom(and Dannoura) probably saving the universe on that front. I still love the arc where he almost immediately kills the frozen demon lord on instinct(the manga has an amazing panel where he looks genuinely embarassed about it) and the rest of the arc is them trying to quietly leave before anyone finds out.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 13, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the title of that one?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Sokushi Cheat ga Saikyou Sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga
or
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against It

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's a pretty misleading title in that it sounds like power fantasy #4625 rather than "eldritch horror tries to ask directions in the land of hyper-aggressive egoists(aka normal isekai protagonists)"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've also been following "The Reincarnation of Alysara" (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/278151/the-reincarnation-of-alysara/) which I've enjoyed because it's largely been a a deep dive into the magic system. Bonus points for absolutely no slavery by the protaganist! It's a bit dry though and hasn't really worked into much of the overarching plot until the more recent chapters so I can certainly see some folks losing interest.

So, I gave this a try, and within the first few chapters the MC is reincarnated into a race of fox people who all have enormous breasts (including the men) and a racial trait about how they can nourish themselves off each other's milk. I think that's probably enough for me; my experience with webnovels is when they're weird it's a bad idea to stay around to see how bad it gets.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yinlock posted:

it's a pretty misleading title in that it sounds like power fantasy #4625 rather than "eldritch horror tries to ask directions in the land of hyper-aggressive egoists(aka normal isekai protagonists)"

Yeah, the entire joke is that despite being a literal embodiment of Death that can instinctively kill anything without fail Takatou is probably the most down to earth and sane character in the work with almost everyone else being on a sliding scale of power tripper. The humor mostly comes from him being able to ignore the usual 'might makes right' isekai stuff and having everyone else get a kind of karmic comeuppance when they try to inevitably betray and kill him.

That said it definitely peaked at the point when he instinctively killed an apex Eldritch Predator outside the realm of time and space that was going to eat the Isekai reality he was in without even realizing it and has kind of been spinning its wheels a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apparently they announced an anime with the latest chapter, too.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Zore posted:

Yeah, the entire joke is that despite being a literal embodiment of Death that can instinctively kill anything without fail Takatou is probably the most down to earth and sane character in the work with almost everyone else being on a sliding scale of power tripper. The humor mostly comes from him being able to ignore the usual 'might makes right' isekai stuff and having everyone else get a kind of karmic comeuppance when they try to inevitably betray and kill him.

That said it definitely peaked at the point when he instinctively killed an apex Eldritch Predator outside the realm of time and space that was going to eat the Isekai reality he was in without even realizing it and has kind of been spinning its wheels a bit.

That event is coming back right about now, since the cthulu-fish was puppeting the ruler of another kingdom that was invading, buffing them with tech from other dimensions, and using it's extra-reality powers when it looked like it was going to lose.

And then the sages/kidnappers decided fighting off this country should be the next test to whittle down their number of isekai protagonists, unaware that they've just been cut off from the source of their strength.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Elfface posted:

That event is coming back right about now, since the cthulu-fish was puppeting the ruler of another kingdom that was invading, buffing them with tech from other dimensions, and using it's extra-reality powers when it looked like it was going to lose.

And then the sages/kidnappers decided fighting off this country should be the next test to whittle down their number of isekai protagonists, unaware that they've just been cut off from the source of their strength.

The whole sequence is actually a direct shot at shield hero, too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

So, I gave this a try, and within the first few chapters the MC is reincarnated into a race of fox people who all have enormous breasts (including the men) and a racial trait about how they can nourish themselves off each other's milk. I think that's probably enough for me; my experience with webnovels is when they're weird it's a bad idea to stay around to see how bad it gets.

That was a red flag for me when I read the synopsis originally. Nothing comes of it though. It is just setting dressing and the MC is essentially asexual, and no other characters make anything of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirage posted:

"Isekai" just means "different realm" in Japanese. You don't have to go to another world or anything.

I mean, in the most literal sense it does mean "another world" since it's just written with the kanji of "another (or different/strange, something like that)" and "world" (though I guess you could use "world" in the same way as something like "realm").

I do think stories that don't necessarily involve literal other worlds should still count as the genre, though. Stuff like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is basically isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

That was obviously a highlight but I think there's still a good few high points. Like (novel spoilers)the jaunt through elf forest that somehow ends with millions of lifeforms dead, or time being rewound to the start of the story but everyone Takatou killed are still dead anyway.

e: also when the group are being relentlessly hunted by elite fighters and it just turns into a complete clown show

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2023