Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

On a semi-random whim decided to play Half-Life 2 for the first time in almost 8.5 years(last played on September 25 2014), so far it's held up pretty well(indeed it still looks pretty drat good for an almost 20 year old game),

The version you're playing now isn't 20 years old fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HolyKrap posted:

Dread Templar putting its different themes to good use

Genuinely don't remember buying this game, must've got it in a bundle at some point so I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually good. [...]

It was indeed in last year's Humble boomer shooter bundle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arivia posted:

Taylor swift stuff

I just want to say that I wasn't trying to compare her situation to the talk of a remaster. I'm with you; it's an entirely different thing.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The version you're playing now isn't 20 years old fwiw

Yeah, valve somewhat recently updated it, put a bit of polish on it and all that. I think they also optimized it for the deck, but I'm not entirely sure. It runs like a dream on that, unsurprisingly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's also running in the Episode 2 version of source so it has updated lighting and some models are newer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also the NPCs blink correctly

Weedle
May 31, 2006

half-life 2…….. rocks!!!!!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

half-life 2…….. rocks!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got around to looking at comparison shots of the Metroid Prime Remaster and it actually looks really good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Taylor swift re-recordings were, I believe, to get her music back from some gently caress face who stole it.

No, there's not a direct transference of the term remaster but it's essentially what it is. Same content, brought to modern, or fresher and different standards. A remaster of music has basically the same goal.

I don't see any issue in calling it a remaster, but I also find it aggravating to get bent out of shape over wording, especially when we all know what it means in context anyway.

To be clear I was also saying I have no issue calling it a remaster. I was just coming at it from the angle of, it's never a technically accurate term for a game anyway, so it's more about what it feels like.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Arivia posted:

So the re-recordings as (Taylor's Version) are yes, remasters with updates and tweaks, but it's primarily Taylor creating new master recordings that she owns and owns all rights to. It's unequivocally a good thing, regardless of what you think of Taylor Swift's music/reputation/whatever.
I'd assume in the age of DAW-based production that Taylor's producers have literal copies of her old masters (or did, if they eventually had to purge them for lawfully defensible reasons). What Scooter Braun bought was rights to her masters, but due to nuances of music Copyright, Taylor, as songwriter retains sole rights to license cover versions. What she has been producing are technically covers of her own songs.

Also Taylor is a good musician and, for many reasons, a great role model, even if I'm well outside her target demographic.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also Taylor is a good musician and, for many reasons, a great role model, even if I'm well outside her target demographic.
Has some great insights on infosec too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My favorite part of the Swift dispute is that when Braun realized she meant business and he got hosed, he sold the masters to pseudo-Disney, who put out a statement to the effect of "well we think these masters have value, but we also acknowledge that Swift will probably never let use use them out of principle, so yeah."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

To be clear I was also saying I have no issue calling it a remaster. I was just coming at it from the angle of, it's never a technically accurate term for a game anyway, so it's more about what it feels like.

Fair enough, we are agreed. :shobon:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I just played through Half-Life 2 again last month. :allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I started a replay of Amid Evil on Hard and I gotta be honest, it's not much harder than easy lol. Granted easy wasn't a cakewalk; it's a pretty tough game in places. Still, not a marked leap in difference. Enemies seem to hit a little harder and I think there's more of them but it's still readily doable. I'll see how the later levels do and especially the final boss before I leap into an evil playthrough next. It could just be because I've been trying to P-rank Ultrakill and it's like coming home shellshocked to the life domestic. Everything's just kinda tuned down.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I just played through Half-Life 2 again last month. :allears:

I started a playthrough a while back and honestly having a good time until I got to that drat prison. I got low on ammo and the bars allowed you to get shot while not being able to gravity gun in return and blah it sucked. I did play a couple of the add-ons though

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

I started a replay of Amid Evil on Hard and I gotta be honest, it's not much harder than easy lol. Granted easy wasn't a cakewalk; it's a pretty tough game in places. Still, not a marked leap in difference. Enemies seem to hit a little harder and I think there's more of them but it's still readily doable. I'll see how the later levels do and especially the final boss before I leap into an evil playthrough next. It could just be because I've been trying to P-rank Ultrakill and it's like coming home shellshocked to the life domestic. Everything's just kinda tuned down.

I would definitely recommend an Evil playthrough. It's not absurdly difficulty (and like you said, the lower difficulties are pretty tame).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh I didn't think easy was that tame. Just not body achingly hard though like UK. I was just surprised at how easy I felt hard was compared to my expectations

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The latest demo of the System Shock remake is pretty ace. A few minor issues, but stuff that I'm sure will be fixed by release time. Yeah, the prolonged development is pretty fucken irritating but it also feels like a game that's been in dev for like, 7 years. Everything is so dense and there's tons of small details.

A cool changes from the original is that you can now scrap all the junk items you can pick up and convert it into Tri-Op credits to buy supplies and weapon upgrades.

Also this put a smile on my face:

When you go into cyberspace, distant geometry is transparent and you can kind of see off into the infinite digital universe.

It's very clearly designed to evoke this old magazine ad from the original

Edit: Another thing, there's Resident Evil style storage boxes which, in universe, operate as sci-fi dumbwaiters that you can call to each level. Clever! I was wondering how they were going to handle limited inventory space when the original game didn't have that.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 11, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

drrockso20 posted:

On a semi-random whim decided to play Half-Life 2 for the first time in almost 8.5 years(last played on September 25 2014), so far it's held up pretty well(indeed it still looks pretty drat good for an almost 20 year old game), except that sometimes it's a bit hard to figure out where to go next(cause sometimes parts of the environment just blend into each other due to the whole dingy semi post apocalyptic nature of the setting), and a lot of the puzzles that involve jumping suck(one was so bad I actually busted out noclip to get past it), also I had almost forgotten how punchable of an rear end in a top hat Dr Breen is(or indeed just how much of a bunch of dickheads the Combine are)

I decided to go through HL2 last year after buying a Quest 2 to play Alyx, and I made it all the way to the end of Episode 2 before I just ran out of steam. I forgot how much I hated trying to hit Striders with balls, and how much I hated trying to snipe Strider balls after throwing them. Maybe I'll go through and play it with slowmo or something.

Then I discovered I don't have a space to really play VR games. Whoops!

drrockso20 posted:

Also beat Hrot's first episode a couple days ago, game does a lot with a color selection that's mostly browns, beiges, grays, and a shade I like to call "Breen"*

Hrot is genuinely one of the most oppressive atmospheres in a game I've played. I think it might be the most oppressive atmosphere of any game I've ever played. I'd honestly rather be in the Zone in STALKER than in Hrot's Czech towns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The oppression I felt in Hrot was mainly me thinking the level design and art direction were extremely boring

I dunno maybe people who aren’t me get strong feelings about brown villages filled with a couple photos of dead old white dudes

I wonder if it still runs weirdly on the Steam Deck? I gave it a try before I played through the second episode but I got a single digit frame rate.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So I was looking at the options for Doom 2 level remakes. I was mainly interested in maps that tried to recreate the themes of the original maps based on the level titles and story (such as it was) because I wanted to play through something fresh with the Doom 2 intermission map mod while having the map still make sense.

I found HontE Remastered which retains most of the original map layout and thing placement and doesn't add any new textures but uses lots of GZDoom lighting and geometry features to try to make the maps more on theme.

I think it's too dark in many places and is a little visually busy (and doesn't meet my requirement of being actual new maps) but I just can't help but admire how hard it goes with 3D geometry in the city maps and especially Monster Condo :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

So I was looking at the options for Doom 2 level remakes. I was mainly interested in maps that tried to recreate the themes of the original maps based on the level titles and story (such as it was) because I wanted to play through something fresh with the Doom 2 intermission map mod while having the map still make sense.

I found HontE Remastered which retains most of the original map layout and thing placement and doesn't add any new textures but uses lots of GZDoom lighting and geometry features to try to make the maps more on theme.

I think it's too dark in many places and is a little visually busy (and doesn't meet my requirement of being actual new maps) but I just can't help but admire how hard it goes with 3D geometry in the city maps and especially Monster Condo :allears:

I JUST made a remake of Doom II map 21 (Nirvana) a few months ago! It tries to keep the same gameplay themes as the original (central resource allocation and starvation) while trying to make the map a) look good and b) have more interesting play. You'll need a Boom compatible source port to give it a try. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/intheway

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

I JUST made a remake of Doom II map 21 (Nirvana) a few months ago! It tries to keep the same gameplay themes as the original (central resource allocation and starvation) while trying to make the map a) look good and b) have more interesting play. You'll need a Boom compatible source port to give it a try. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/intheway

Pretty good, took me a couple of tries. I died the first time to the Revenants in the switch puzzle room because I didn't realize that the rockets could curve well enough to hit me if I hid next to the lift they were on top of. The switch puzzle room having tons of ammo that later gets sealed off when you actually need it was pretty devious.

I accidentally survived the Imp ambush by going back into the teleporter I came out of and waiting a bit before going back in. I liked how the Imp ambush room completely transformed, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Megasphere.

I realized after I cleared the final room that there was a ton of rockets that were available if I was more brave that could have made it a lot easier. There was one Pain Elemental still in one of the floating jails that I may have missed the trigger for, unless it was just stuck in jail forever where it belongs. Also, for the first time ever on Nirvana, I used every single one of the Medikits in the starting room.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Pretty good, took me a couple of tries. I died the first time to the Revenants in the switch puzzle room because I didn't realize that the rockets could curve well enough to hit me if I hid next to the lift they were on top of. The switch puzzle room having tons of ammo that later gets sealed off when you actually need it was pretty devious.

I accidentally survived the Imp ambush by going back into the teleporter I came out of and waiting a bit before going back in. I liked how the Imp ambush room completely transformed, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Megasphere.

I realized after I cleared the final room that there was a ton of rockets that were available if I was more brave that could have made it a lot easier. There was one Pain Elemental still in one of the floating jails that I may have missed the trigger for, unless it was just stuck in jail forever where it belongs. Also, for the first time ever on Nirvana, I used every single one of the Medikits in the starting room.

Those pain elementals never get out of jail. If you play in GZDoom, for some reason they can't fire lost souls, otherwise they act like lost soul turrets.

The trick to get the megasphere is EXACTLY the same as in the original map, you just have to be faster.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So on one hand I ruined the map by using GZDoom but on the other hand gently caress Pain Elementals :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Night Dive Weekend Sale on GOG if you want to get Turok or their other non-Id FPS remasters on the cheap.

This looks cool:
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1624043488508518401

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Remember Brutal Doom 64's revenant? This looks so much better. Like the four-armed archvile too!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

Night Dive Weekend Sale on GOG if you want to get Turok or their other non-Id FPS remasters on the cheap.

This looks cool:
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1624043488508518401

Niiiiice

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Doom 69

Well it took me 40 hours but I have P ranked every level in Ultrakill thus far. On Harmless :negative:. Whatever, I'm happy with it, it's still hard as poo poo. Some of those P ranks are brutal. And a few of those can gently caress right off. Had a run on ship of fools with 62 style points shy of perfect and nothing else to kill.

I have fed the hamster to the guy on top of the tower and crashed my game. So cool

vvvvvv love that res animation

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 11, 2023

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

catlord posted:

Remember Brutal Doom 64's revenant? This looks so much better. Like the four-armed archvile too!
https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1623103191167512577

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love rope arrows
https://twitter.com/WildMageGames/status/1624371347169189889?t=5xpUjmxJuteDWq7kyHAk7w&s=19

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This rules! Awesome interpretation.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
It's a good time for Doom 64; there's now a usable version of the cut Hellhound enemy as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Carpator Diei posted:

It's a good time for Doom 64; there's now a usable version of the cut Hellhound enemy as well.

Huh, I was unaware of them. They look like they're basically pinkies? Cool though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is this stuff happening in the Nightdive port, Doom 64 EX+, Doom CE or what?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is this stuff happening in the Nightdive port, Doom 64 EX+, Doom CE or what?
It's mods; the Arch-Vile is part of the mod posted by Kins, and the Hellhound is from this set. The latter seems to be just sprites, not actual new behaviours, but if they actually end up appearing in mapsets that'll probably change rather quickly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The civvie review of Catechumen might be the funniest thing he's ever done and 90% of that is the game itself. Holy poo poo, I about died laughing

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

Then I discovered I don't have a space to really play VR games. Whoops!

I think this is one of the reasons VR is so limited. I have to rearrange my entire studio apartment to eke out enough room to play without smashing things. Let alone the full room mode or whatever its called.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

e: how'd this get here

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The newest Fanatical big bundle has a couple recent-ish boomer shooters and a few recent classic remakes in it, if you hadn't picked them up before 25 bucks seems a good price

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-25

Not sure about some of the other stuff in there, a Homeless Person sim? :o: