Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of coincidence, and cool things to go look at, here's a Saturn V and a blackbird parked in bumfuck Alabama.

Largest city in Alabama, excuse you.

Also there’s a Saturn 1B at the state welcome center just down the road from there, but they’re taking it down soon if they haven’t already. It’s a drat shame but it wasn’t meant to just be hanging out on the side of the road, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

superdylan posted:

Yeah its huge and dark and a little depressing, you are going to poo poo your pants when you spend a day at Evergreen museum.

Something I have wondered is how does one go about obtaining aircraft for a museum, and how do they come up with a price? Is it more on the current owner interested in finding a home to display their cool 1 of 1 historically significant planes and driving the price down? Or is it more on museums filling out their collections and competing to obtain more stuff? How do they come up with valuation for an old MiG-15 decaying behind a hangar, or that MiG-29 outside Evergreen where you think hell yeah lets get this thing in the air but then you look at all the plumbing in one wheel well and say oh here's a thought, actually gently caress this? Sure there's some museums built around centerpieces like Udvar-Hazy with the Discovery or again Evergreen with the Spruce Goose, but what about the bottom of the barrel crusty old F-14A at Tillamook, did they get a steal just because they have somewhere to store it? Can I drive the price down low enough that I can have an F-5 on a stick in my front lawn?
Former (admin side) air/auto museum staffer here with a least a tiny big of knowledge: You'll be shocked to know the answer is "it depends."

Ideally, you get the aircraft donated. Whoever was using it decides they're done using it and doesn't want it to go to the scrap yard, so they donate it to your museum.

Otherwise, you buy it. Larger museums will have some kind of fund to purchase new collection items, but I'm not sure about one-man passion projects, and will spend the money to get something key for their collection. Interestingly, it's considered ethical to sell your own collection items to put money into this fund, but not ethical to sell objects to pay for other expenses. A lot of museums look rich on paper, but that money is untouchable for anything but adding to the collection.

If you've got a curator worth their job, they've developed extensive connections in whatever their field is, and are often the first call that the nerds that are huge into that subject makes when they want to sell something. Or, you find the guy who has a farm field full of old planes that he bought surplus after The War and make an offer. Or try to get him to leave the collection to the museum.

Odds are the curator will be friendly with the auction houses that deal with their subject and has probably done a few assessments of things up for auction, so may get an early alert of what's coming up for auction.

So, can you buy an F5? Maybe. This guy owned a B-36: https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/21-photos-of-northeast-ohios-deserted-plane-sanctuary/Slideshow/38344514/38216211

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

Largest city in Alabama, excuse you.

Also there’s a Saturn 1B at the state welcome center just down the road from there, but they’re taking it down soon if they haven’t already. It’s a drat shame but it wasn’t meant to just be hanging out on the side of the road, go figure.

I also object to Huntsville being called bumfuck. No Hope is right there.

Yeah. They knocked down the visitor's center/rest stop already. I don't know if you've seen it lately but it's in very poor condition. Even the Space and Rocket center doesn't want it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Which also speaks to why for some rare and high profile items like the shuttle orbiters the bidding process for museums is highly competitive, not on a purchase price basis but the standpoint of "which institution actually has the resources and longevity to take care of this thing properly?"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Which also speaks to why for some rare and high profile items like the shuttle orbiters the bidding process for museums is highly competitive, not on a purchase price basis but the standpoint of "which institution actually has the resources and longevity to take care of this thing properly?"
Great point, upkeep is way expensive. From the other side: when I left, my museum was coming up with guidelines on what vehicle/aircraft donations they would accept alone and what they would only accept if there was also a maintenance endowment with it. Because you can't just have the night janitor vacuuming off the wings of the 1900-10s cloth planes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The biggest issue about going for every A-12/SR-71 is that one of them is on the CIA campus and there's no way to access it as a civvie. They also won't "make an exception."

One is also on lackland in San Antonio, so you'll have to trick your nephew into joining the air force and then go to his basic training graduation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I also object to Huntsville being called bumfuck. No Hope is right there.

Yeah. They knocked down the visitor's center/rest stop already. I don't know if you've seen it lately but it's in very poor condition. Even the Space and Rocket center doesn't want it.

I was kind of hoping Tony Bruno would show some interest in potentially saving it as he has folks building rockets not far away from there, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I hate that things would have to resort to billionaire intervention but no one wants the thing; not that I blame them. It’s a drat shame but we do have a goddamn Saturn V down there road in good ol’ Bunfuck. Hell of a town.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of coincidence, and cool things to go look at, here's a Saturn V and a blackbird parked in bumfuck Alabama.

Huntsville is pretty much the opposite of bumfuck.

madeintaipei posted:

Was just at Redstone for a few weeks, the 1B is still standing but everything else is gone.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tillamook used to have a larger collection + several air-worthy aircrafts. They lost a bunch ~8 years ago (don't recall why), but I really enjoyed it when I was there 10 years or so ago.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The biggest issue about going for every A-12/SR-71 is that one of them is on the CIA campus and there's no way to access it as a civvie. They also won't "make an exception."

Let's all write our Congresscritters and demand repatriation of every SR-71/A-12 to a publicly viewable location.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was not prepared for so many people to defend Huntsville, barely the largest of AL's 3 tiny little cities.

Cojawfee posted:

One is also on lackland in San Antonio, so you'll have to trick your nephew into joining the air force and then go to his basic training graduation.

Got this one when I still had a CAC.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

superdylan posted:

Something I have wondered is how does one go about obtaining aircraft for a museum, and how do they come up with a price? Is it more on the current owner interested in finding a home to display their cool 1 of 1 historically significant planes and driving the price down? Or is it more on museums filling out their collections and competing to obtain more stuff? How do they come up with valuation for an old MiG-15 decaying behind a hangar, or that MiG-29 outside Evergreen where you think hell yeah lets get this thing in the air but then you look at all the plumbing in one wheel well and say oh here's a thought, actually gently caress this? Sure there's some museums built around centerpieces like Udvar-Hazy with the Discovery or again Evergreen with the Spruce Goose, but what about the bottom of the barrel crusty old F-14A at Tillamook, did they get a steal just because they have somewhere to store it? Can I drive the price down low enough that I can have an F-5 on a stick in my front lawn?

The USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park lists the owners of all the aircraft at the site on their website. A large portion of them are "on loan" from the Navy or Air Force. "On loan", but some of those aircraft have been there for as long as I can remember, since the early 90s.

https://www.ussalabama.com/explore/aircraft/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huntsville is far away enough from other major population centers it could be safely called "bumfuck". There is zero chance of accidentally driving through there unless you're driving from like, Nashville to Atlanta, and even then it would still be a major detour

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Huntsville is far away enough from other major population centers it could be safely called "bumfuck". There is zero chance of accidentally driving through there unless you're driving from like, Nashville to Atlanta, and even then it would still be a major detour

Nah, you wouldn't come anywhere near Huntsville going between Nashville and Atlanta. Hell, even straight down I-65 toward Birmingham from Nashville you'd have to take a half hour detour to go through Huntsville.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hadlock posted:

This is more what I meant, I've seen the battleship museum because I was driving down the coast anyways, that wouldn't happen with Huntsville.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You can use that logic to say Montgomery is a place of some merit and we both know that ain’t true.

- Signed Da 231 Boyz

Warbird
May 23, 2012

marcopolo
Oct 24, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Tillamook used to have a larger collection + several air-worthy aircrafts. They lost a bunch ~8 years ago (don't recall why), but I really enjoyed it when I was there 10 years or so ago.

A bunch of the warbirds that people remember from the Oregon Coast back in the day are in Madras at the Erickson Collection:

http://www.ericksoncollection.com/

Last time I was there (granted this was prob. 8 years ago), most planes in this place were air-worthy, everything had oil still in it complete with drip pans, and a P-51 taxied in and they popped the hood and started messing with timing or whatever while we were walking around.

Don't sleep on this place.

Madras even has decent food and beverage these days.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Bear Bryant was a fraud.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

Bear Bryant was a fraud.

10 SEC Championships! ROOOOLLLLLL TIIIIIDE! WOOOOOO!

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. Reflex, you understand.

Anyone been to the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker? It's close enough to go, but I'd have to make a day of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't see poo poo, I'd do a go around or divert

https://i.imgur.com/lUaAGup.mp4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't see poo poo, I'd do a go around or divert

https://i.imgur.com/lUaAGup.mp4

Thank Christ there wasn't a Southwest on the catapult getting ready to launch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

madeintaipei posted:

Anyone been to the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker? It's close enough to go, but I'd have to make a day of it.

They have(had? It's been about a dozen years since I've been there) a few neat exhibits (AH-56, ACH-47, the BV-347) but unless you're really into rotorcraft I recommend staying well away from the entire Enterprise/Daleville/Dothan/Ozark area.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

superdylan posted:

Yeah its huge and dark and a little depressing, you are going to poo poo your pants when you spend a day at Evergreen museum.

Used to be, in the 90's and before, you could get a military aircraft with no particular pedigree from the boneyard for the scrap price plus the rental on a lowboy to get it to your VFW hall. That has tighened up quite a bit. There is a body shop in the industrial corridor of St. Louis that has T-33's, F-105s, F-102's, an ex-polish Mig-23, the front half of a B-52, and a bunch of similar vintage helicopters just sitting out in the weather. Went to talk to the guy once, said "hey, I like your airplanes!" and he said "uh-huh" and stared me down for approximately an eternity before I said "ok, cool" and fled the scene.

If you have a proper museum without a leaky roof, you can get long term loans from the USAF Museum, or the Naval Aviation Museum.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 14, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Army Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis is also pretty neat: https://history.army.mil/museums/TRADOC/USARMYTransportationMuseum/index.html

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Thank Christ there wasn't a Southwest on the catapult getting ready to launch.

*image of giant hands holding scissors over Super Bug*

This kills the airframe.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park lists the owners of all the aircraft at the site on their website. A large portion of them are "on loan" from the Navy or Air Force. "On loan", but some of those aircraft have been there for as long as I can remember, since the early 90s.

https://www.ussalabama.com/explore/aircraft/

Might as well do the one at Eglin if you're in the area.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The pilots of AA106, the 777 that crossed the runway at JFK ahead of Delta 1943, forcing it to abort its takeoff, have refused to give a deposition if the NTSB records it. Which of course the NTSB would do, so they're refusing.

And the NTSB needs their testimony because, since the flight was allowed to continue on to Europe, the flight recorder data was overwritten by subsequent data.

https://www.travelersunited.org/american-airlines-pilots-refuse-to-give-testimony-to-ntsb-investigation/

Get this poo poo from the APA:

quote:

We join in the goal of creating an accurate record of all interviews conducted in the course of an investigation. However, we firmly believe the introduction of electronic recording devices into witness interviews is more likely to hinder the investigation process than it is to improve it.”

"We won't tell the truth if you're recording it" is one hell of a take.

NTSB has subpoenaed the pilots.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Cockit view from a A400m doing a touch and go on a beach.

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Pilot/status/1624116465400938519

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

How'd they get Sean Connery to do the altitude warning voice?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

stealie72 posted:

How'd they get Sean Connery to do the altitude warning voice?

It was less money raising him from the dead than licensing Danger Zone, which would have been more cool

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pablo Bluth posted:

What do you have to do to prepare a beach for that? Metal mats?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I’d imagine they send a team out ahead of time to measure the soil compaction to ensure the airplane won’t sink. Otherwise it’s just an off-airport landing. The beach is smoother than most other unprepared surfaces, even.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The pilots of AA106, the 777 that crossed the runway at JFK ahead of Delta 1943, forcing it to abort its takeoff, have refused to give a deposition if the NTSB records it. Which of course the NTSB would do, so they're refusing.

And the NTSB needs their testimony because, since the flight was allowed to continue on to Europe, the flight recorder data was overwritten by subsequent data.

https://www.travelersunited.org/american-airlines-pilots-refuse-to-give-testimony-to-ntsb-investigation/

Get this poo poo from the APA:

"We won't tell the truth if you're recording it" is one hell of a take.

NTSB has subpoenaed the pilots.

The NTSB has actually never recorded interviews, only taken notes. This is because the NTSB is supposed to be a non adversarial process. A recording by the government in this scenario could be used in future, administrative, criminal or civil court cases so as any competent lawyer would recommend they’re “taking the fifth.”

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I am 100% not qualified to have an opinion on this, but taking the fifth seems both well within their rights and likely to result in a couple of ex-pilots. Or does FAA not have a free hand to revoke licenses of pilots who don’t comply?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The NTSB isn’t the FAA.

The position here is that the request sure makes it look like the FAA is using the NTSB as an end run around due process.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
USAF is actively testing an F-16 that is piloted by "AI"

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/02/the-us-air-force-successfully-tested-this-ai-controlled-jet-fighter/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think just someone to assess and grade the surface as sufficient* and check it's clear of objects? It was designed to be able to land and take-off from a low grade of airstrip.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

This is reasonably cool:

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1625119179958255620?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

hobbesmaster posted:

The NTSB isn’t the FAA.

The position here is that the request sure makes it look like the FAA is using the NTSB as an end run around due process.

Yeah, I know they’re different entities. I think my point is that while taking the fifth is defensible it’s not clear the pilots are entitled to the same “due process” in terms of staying licensed, and that was the point of my question. I assume here that governmental bodies can successfully communicate and coordinate with one another, which is not a given.