Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

edgar_ posted:

I thought about a data bender but I have a beads and saw this video and it made me realize that I have so much more to explore with what I already have

https://youtu.be/hCQuPwkTWSw

(obviously you do whatever you want)

beads is super deep, and I could spend 1000 hours learning more about what I already have, but I will never stop buying modules :getin:

Nautilus is on the list, too, along with QPAS and if I'm insane, 3xXPO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

One of my DJ friends was giving me poo poo for learning trackers over a "real" DAW, but I'm digging learning from a more archaic age. It feels like learning calculus by first principles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trackers are just as much of a “real” DAW as Ableton Cubase Reaper or FL. Your friend’s nuts.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I actually have zero problems with trackers, but those are obvious to me. I would have far less trouble dealing with Renoise and at times I have considered getting it, or a Polyend to shake things up a bit.

Trackers are just hard quantized monophonic samplers in their Amiga form with flexible multitimbrality. It’s what makes them so useful for breakcore - you can’t make any wrong beats.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

They got the Bigfoot dj mindset. Only thing you can do for them now is drop em off at Shambhala, and let nature take its course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trackers certainly have some very valid limitations but it's much faster to edit notes than dragging boxes around on a piano roll.

Everyone plays to a click track and quantizes their midi anyways so being stuck to a fixed grid doesn't seem like much of a downside to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Renoise has note humanizing even when recording from MIDI so you aren’t really stuck to the grid anyway.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I love Renoise but I could never figure out how to integrate hardware synths into the work flow.

E: I mean in a way that didn't strike me as obtuse as compared to something like Ableton where you can just lay down tracks

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rolo posted:

I wish I didn’t like pocket operators and the OP-1 so much because as a company I can’t stop rolling my eyes harder every time something comes out.

I like pocket operators but everything else about that company is a joke, down to the Ronco Record Recorder

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A friend lent me an Intellijel Rubicon 1 and I'm trying to understand thru zero synthesis. It looks like I need more lfo's or modulation options to really get it going.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I'll be a little surprised if I'm the person in this thread that ends up defending FL Studio. :frogc00l:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The pricing model is something I can appreciate, if nothing else.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

minidracula posted:

I'll be a little surprised if I'm the person in this thread that ends up defending FL Studio. :frogc00l:

i’ve been using it for about a decade at this point and while it’s a bit lacking when it comes to working with audio clips (which is a pretty big downside) it’s a tool that lets me take ideas from my brain and convert it into vibrating air for the world to enjoy without having to think about it and that’s all i could ask for. it’s a bit annoying doing stuff like routing midi to an effect and such that really slow me down and make me want to swap to something else but on the other hand i’ve gone through several major version updates without ever having to give them any more money which is pretty incredible

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The one thing I miss from fl studio is how automation lanes are no different from audio or midi tracks in that they contain clips of automation. Make one good filter sweep curve, shift it around, clone it around, modify one instance to modify all clones, associate a specific curve with another parameter etc. The whole cubase or reaper paradigm where it is just unique points on the timeline with no persistent way to group selections of them sucks.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pollyanna posted:

No, that’s not real. No, no, no that’s not real it’s not rea- :byodood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MSPain posted:

I love Renoise but I could never figure out how to integrate hardware synths into the work flow.

E: I mean in a way that didn't strike me as obtuse as compared to something like Ableton where you can just lay down tracks

Kinda where I landed.

Actually I really like Ableton's live-clip fusion for kind of doing the tracker thing w/ continuous audio. Like I can still structure my little pieces and arrange them like legos but I can also just send a tracks worth of MIDI to my synth I wanna tweak

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gentrification implies it's going to push poor people out and ain't no one buying that piece of crap.

The traditional folding table is 1/10 the price and more stable.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I honestly don't get the outright anger/hatred toward TE over pricing. Sure its funny, and I'm obviously not buying a $1500 table, but, like, they aren't trying to trick anyone or lock someone into something where they feel like they have to have it. They made something, put a price on it, and I would bet basically nobody is going to agree to the price. Not sure what the problem is other than its funny.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

toadee posted:

I honestly don't get the outright anger/hatred toward TE over pricing. Sure its funny, and I'm obviously not buying a $1500 table, but, like, they aren't trying to trick anyone or lock someone into something where they feel like they have to have it. They made something, put a price on it, and I would bet basically nobody is going to agree to the price. Not sure what the problem is other than its funny.

I’m not angry because I don’t want anything they make that isnt a pocket operator, but they do get a significant amount of attention that can get quite annoying (but honestly hacks will be hacks and if it werent them dominating the convo it would be someone else like akai or whatever)

And that record player using Ronco style imagery just too on the nose to not be an unclothed emperor situation. Whether they intended the Ronco mark of ‘quality’ comparison or not.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

like i’ve said before i don’t really care about a company selling stuff i wasn’t planning on buying for exuberant prices but i just find their whole deal of outwardly having their #1 motivator being making obscene amounts of money really gross. like i get that it’s a company and that’s their whole reason for existing but at least roland pretends to care about art.

i can’t get over how gross and shameless it is that they put ferraris inside of the office to motivate the workers, that if they just work hard enough they too can own one. like tai lopez or some poo poo.

synthesizers are p cool imo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

watho posted:

i can’t get over how gross and shameless it is that they put ferraris inside of the office to motivate the workers, that if they just work hard enough they too can own one. like tai lopez or some poo poo.

I rescind my prior statement, I hate them and this is why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't care if they make overpriced poo poo or stuff that isn't synths, but it should at least be overpriced poo poo that is cool. Some aluminum rails keeping a piece of wood off the floor is not cool.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Teenage Engineering is annoying and twee and I try not to give a poo poo and live and let live, but then they sell a card table for $1599 and I just want to give all of them an atomic wedgie and hang them from a telephone pole by their underwear.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

watho posted:

like i’ve said before i don’t really care about a company selling stuff i wasn’t planning on buying for exuberant prices but i just find their whole deal of outwardly having their #1 motivator being making obscene amounts of money really gross. like i get that it’s a company and that’s their whole reason for existing but at least roland pretends to care about art.

synthesizers are p cool imo

From what I can tell from a quick search, they are all 80s and 90s cars and they are there because of their design aesthetic, not as motivation for more work. Opinions obviously will differ but I do agree the Lamborghini Countach is an icon of design in a way I think they are aiming to emulate.

Also I don't think making absurdly priced tables is a particularly good way to try to make money if that's your #1 goal. They'd sell far more if they used cheaper materials and labor and cut the price by tons.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't like the dumb poo poo Teenage Engineering is doing now because their other stuff was so cool. The OP-Z and Pocket Operators were great. But all the poo poo nowadays isn't just overpriced, it's also bad. The Computer-1 case? Bad heat management, a weird size that's hard to find parts for, and seems like a pain in the rear end to assemble. TX-6? The jacks are way too close together on it, and it doesn't even work fully on Windows, just Mac. The stupid $30 water bottle? They don't even list if it's dishwasher safe or not on the product page.

Even the OP-Z has been losing its luster. It's just poorly manufactured. I like it a lot, I use it the most out of all my gear, but it just feels so cheap. The expansion modules seemed like a cool idea at first but in practice feel very poorly thought out. They should have really put a window in the back or have them come with a sticker or something. Having to open the back panel on the OP-Z to change toggles on the expansion modules is super dumb, too.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

Agreed. They're the only company putting out teething-safe sampling workstations for babies and quite frankly they can charge what they like. We need more toddlers making beats and if it takes making the delay look like a cow to get them banging, so be it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I love teenage engineering and the products for which I am not the target audience I simply do not purchase.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In cooler news, tentative patch notes for new M8 firmware got posted (this release isn't in testing yet so no one but the dev has had their hands on it). But it's a pretty nuts new feature list.

code:
Here is what the change log looks like so far ```2023-02-14 - Version 3.0.0
- Note!!!!: Output/Speaker volume has moved to the top of the mixer view (previously in project view)
- Note!!!!: Songs that have previously had Volume assigned to an LFO will need to be adjusted manually due to a bug in volume calculation
- New: Hypersynth instrument (stereo chord synth)
- New: External instrument (send MIDI and receive audio for processing)
- New: Envelopes and LFOs have been replaced with 4 configurable modulation slots
-   New: Bipolar ADSR envelope - The release stage can be triggered via KILL command, new note-off note, or external MIDI input
-   New: Drum Envelope - High initial peak value for transient shaping with a hold/body stage that slowly swells
-   New: Follow envelope - Simple ADH (Attack, hold, decay) envelope that can be trigger by another instrument or track in the song
-   New: Key or velocity modulation source for mapping note/velocity
- New: Note Offs can be entered in the note column by deleting/clearing a empty note "---" via OPT+EDIT 
- New: DJF Now has modes (LP:HP, LP:BP, or BP:HP)
- New: Default groove (was groove 0) can be defined in the project view
- New: Default scale and Key signature (was scale 0) can be set on the project view
- New: Song preview has been added to the file browser when loading a song via START key (if the song is not currently playing)
- New: RMX FX Command - (Remix) Set the playhead of all other phrases to the specified position
- New: RNL FX Command - (Random left) Randomize the command to the left of RNL a specified amount
- New: TBX FX Command - (Aux table) Plays a second table in the given phrase that is played in conjunction (but not in sync) with the instrument's table
- New/Improved: REP FX Command (Repeat last effect) now has wider range for slower control
- Improved: Audible oscillator click/reset when retriggering the same instrument has been removed
- Improved: Phrase and table share last edited value for command fx
- Improved: To automatically select a command fx, press edit on a parameter in the Instrument and mod views to copy it's fx command
- Improved: Phrase/Table: When pasting 16 rows starting on the top row, the cursor will stay on the top row instead of scrolling to the bottom
- Improved: Added colors to the mute/solo "M" and "S" text in the right-side info area for visibility
- Improved: Scope has been improved when high pitch notes occur
- Fix: Midimap view visual scrolling issue on destinations
- Fix: Midiout Program change and bank not sending on occasion```

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love TE because people get so worked up over their overpriced stuff, it makes me lol and support them in this endeavor.

Also the POs are an insanely cool value and just all around amazing pieces of music creation. For those alone I’m down with them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

TE synth stuff is cool.

TE everything else is exceedingly stupid. Their designs are neither clever nor improvements. *~lifestyle brand~*

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

xzzy posted:

M8 V3
[/code]

Just checked it out....loving cool stuff.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Agreed. They're the only company putting out teething-safe sampling workstations for babies and quite frankly they can charge what they like. We need more toddlers making beats and if it takes making the delay look like a cow to get them banging, so be it
Not a sampler workstation, but another viable option for the single digits crowd

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
BOOST :five:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's an instant momentary tempo doubler. Only affects the sequencer. The sync signal stays steady. Really launches your doots

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I went to a diy build event in NYC once and some TE guy showed up for some reason. He had the energy of Jason Mantzoukas playing a new character called the "synth bro" and had nothing of any use or interest to say, but walking around with the air of a rock star.

That said, yeah the company can do whatever they want, and I think the pocket operators are solidly cool. I think they deserve flack though, because the synth community should keep it's culture of being weird basement dwellers safe from neo yuppie hyper capitalists.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Sorry I'll take myself back to CSPAM.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ricecult posted:

I think they deserve flack though, because the synth community should keep it's culture of being weird basement dwellers safe from neo yuppie hyper capitalists.

when was it ever that? synth hardware is inherently a consumerist fetish when you can make 99% of the same sounds with a midi controller, software, and the laptop you already own. no one needs a hardware tracker or another analog monosynth or anything eurorack. it’s all luxury toys.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

inferis posted:

when was it ever that? synth hardware is inherently a consumerist fetish when you can make 99% of the same sounds with a midi controller, software, and the laptop you already own. no one needs a hardware tracker or another analog monosynth or anything eurorack. it’s all luxury toys.

MUSIQUE CONCRETE II

Rise of the Machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Or maybe Part Deux instead