Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

This sounds like a nice approach for the future of the game if they can actually stick to it. It's good to see that new fractals are specifically called out as part of future expansions.

Only 2 weeks until the next new map is also good to hear. Also, PvE map queueing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Curious about these chromium changes. Maybe the TP won’t be such a buggy mess??

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Good to hear they will revisit systems they abandoned years ago which were like, a few short changes away from being actually pretty good, on top of still releasing new fractals and strikes, sad there is no mention of a raid wing 8 but oh well.

They really should go back to every major story plot boss and modernize the fight if needed and make a strike+CM out of it like how they did with every EoD story chapter end boss, Zhaitan strike, Dragon attacking the pale tree strike, Mordremoth strike, Balthazar strike, Joko strike, Kralkatorrik strike, Big Nose Ted strike.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That approach to future expansions sounds like a return to the Guild Wars 1 model, which honestly sounds pretty good. I do wonder if they'll keep adding elite specs, or maybe add them every other expansion, or if they'll leave it at 3 per profession and move on to a different thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

That approach to future expansions sounds like a return to the Guild Wars 1 model, which honestly sounds pretty good. I do wonder if they'll keep adding elite specs, or maybe add them every other expansion, or if they'll leave it at 3 per profession and move on to a different thing.

Hopefully they skip out on adding professions and instead do a solid re-work of old professions because warrior shield still sucks a loving lot and has never really changed. Despite being the most standard weapons on the most standard class, it's arguably the least effective. I use it because it's still fine for PvE, but most other weapons are just objectively better.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Shields a fine pvp weapon and don't know what else they could add to it besides it's "stun a guy, block with the shield, passive defense" it already has, I just want them to add land-spears to the game and add a Paragon subclass that throws the spears at like 600-900 range.

Next expansion: Age of Pike and Shot, everyone gets spear or rifle or pistol added as a new weapon.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 13, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Zhaitan strike

:barf:

please no

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Shields a fine pvp weapon and don't know what else they could add to it besides it's "stun a guy, block with the shield, passive defense" it already has, I just want them to add land-spears to the game and add a Paragon subclass that throws the spears at like 600-900 range.

Fairly long cooldown for both, and they only offer utility. Shield 5 hasn't been touched in 8 years.

Sword 5 is a single block every 15 seconds, with a riposte that does a lot of damage and if nothing happens, it gives you adrenaline.

Shield 5 is a multi block (3s) every 25 seconds. But you also can't do anything for those 3 seconds. Ideally Shield 5 would give you 3 seconds of invulnerability while you can still do poo poo. Or, it has the same cooldown as Sword 5.

Sword 5 has a shorter cooldown and more things going on than just the defensiveness. Both are agnostic and lets you block anything. Shield 5 has a longer cooldown AND has less going on, so unless the multi block is considerably more valuable (it isn't, most things are big single hits) then the cooldown should probably match Sword 5. That way, the difference between the two is that one is a longer-lasting block, and one is a single-action riposte. Since the cooldowns don't match, the shield is considerably less active of an option and is probably why nobody uses shield warrior in PvE. Block should be 2s of block time and 15s cooldown.

Also, the shield trait for Warrior is such a disappointment. Gain adrenaline and reflect projectiles? It should probably reflect projectiles already.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Happy to hear they're changing their dev cycles.

I'd come on for each expansion, play through the story, realize I hate grinding metas and stop playing for a while.

GW2 is one of my favorite games I don't play that often, haha.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Checked on reddit and it looks like Anet upped their advertisement budget too.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

where the red fern gropes posted:

new kaineng is a great map, in a different game, where the main plot would take place, and there would be many things to do there

it is not a great map in guild wars 2, where it has lukewarm performance, an absence of activities, and copious amounts of useless and empty space

if it was skyrim and you could go in all the houses it would be amazing but it's not. it's one map in a game with hundreds of maps and it sucks. i'll even compare it to draconis mons which at least makes use of its empty space as a travel vector. kaineng doesn't do that

It's a drat shame there's so little to do. But it's one of the best places to cruise around on a griffon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The new content model seems good given that new players are constantly confused and annoyed by the “Living World was free but now costs gems” model. Hopefully they make older LW permanently easier to access at some point.

I think it’s also smart to avoid explicitly committing to new elite specs in every expansion since they have diminishing returns in many ways.

Orv
May 4, 2011
“New combat features “ could mean a lot of things but I wouldn’t be surprised if it immediately or eventually meant weapons instead of specs or perhaps alternating. A new weapon in GW2 is an absolute ton of work but if we’re getting smaller expansions every year and a half or two there’s no way to keep even a semblance of balance once the elite spec count creeps up over four or five.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It'd be nice if it was retroactively applied, but it's a good model moving forward. Sucks for me personally joining in right as that model was ending, but it's a much better sell to new people than the current model. It's not easy to explain and paying for stuff everyone else got for free never sounds good on the buy-in.

No opinion on the not committing to more elite specs, since they seem to already have a staggering amount. I would have liked to see them address LFG in a more modern, post-2004-WoW way, instead of adding map queues to support the commander tag system already in place. I've listened to a few videos about it in the past weeks and while everyone seems to need to know what happens they all agree Anet will never be able to implement it. :/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orv posted:

“New combat features “ could mean a lot of things but I wouldn’t be surprised if it immediately or eventually meant weapons instead of specs or perhaps alternating. A new weapon in GW2 is an absolute ton of work but if we’re getting smaller expansions every year and a half or two there’s no way to keep even a semblance of balance once the elite spec count creeps up over four or five.

How about controller support!!!!!!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yay content.

quote:

WvW Objective Reward Scaling

What is that?

jokes posted:

How about controller support!!!!!!

Console port :getin:

No but seriously, of all the mmos on the market gw2 is perhaps best suited to controllers. I would absolutely love them to add it, but the UI work required would be immense.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And you know another villain who was right, Uncle-Imperator Scar's special military operation was a legitimate exercise of charr sovereignty against pact imperialists who say they're the only ones allowed a dragon. There cannot be a dragon gap in a true multipolar world!! No what about all these dead norn?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Objective Scaling Rewards were mentioned in a forum post in 2019.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/59680-future-plans-competitive/

And as far as I'm aware not since then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Totally a thing they should do but hopefully it just goes up from the current baseline and not the baseline moves down.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

The most exciting thing to me is that we're moving onto a 3 maps per expansion cycle instead of the ungodly high # before between living world and expansion launch. The game's filled with maps that you barely have a reason to go back to that only got added because of the previous model, so fewer areas more densely packed with things to do and reasons to come back sounds good to me.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

Launches tomorrow. Same event structure for WvW, but keeps/towers/castles now take more participation to to hit bronze/silver/gold event participation. Applies to assaults and defenses (failed assaults will have rewards later.)

New rewards "include rare equipment bags, WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets, or even Grandmaster Mark Shards."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tarbrush posted:

One of the better parts of EoD is that you stop being THE PACT COMMANDER and start being "who's this rear end in a top hat?" again

I still think it sucks that the story is "you're the one hero" in a loving MMO. So all sixty people, waiting for Teqatl to spawn, are each The Pact Commander.

*AND* they had to make em bland and generic, because they didn't have the budget to properly deal with any variation due to species or plot choices. So the extremely rare reference to what Order your chose feels like a scrap of meat thrown to a starving dog.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 14, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Listen buddy!, those 60 people standing around at Teq are the people im commanding. I am the only pact commander. Trehene (or whatever his name is) said so

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Happy to hear they're changing their dev cycles.

I'd come on for each expansion, play through the story, realize I hate grinding metas and stop playing for a while.

GW2 is one of my favorite games I don't play that often, haha.

This is basically me too, I came back after a hiatus for EoD, played through the story and then went "I don't really want to grind" and stopped playing again only to come back for the Season 1 return simply because I felt like I deserve the fancy epaulets and the cape for being there for it live when S1 first came out and being with the game for so long anyways. After that I've stopped playing once again.

I had a similar story with LoTRO but the time between log-ins gradually became longer and longer and once I logged in with several new expansions and maps being added and was so overwhelmed I decided to move on. Got a lifetime sub for 200€ which in hindsight still probably saved me some money in monthly sub fees.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Meskhenet posted:

Listen buddy!, those 60 people standing around at Teq are the people im commanding. I am the only pact commander. Trehene (or whatever his name is) said so

I actually like to make mundane characters. Most of mine are Charr that wear pretty much just the uniform of their respective legion.

And I don't roleplay, but I get a kick out of "staying in character". And my character is "just some dude".

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

Launches tomorrow. Same event structure for WvW, but keeps/towers/castles now take more participation to to hit bronze/silver/gold event participation. Applies to assaults and defenses (failed assaults will have rewards later.)

New rewards "include rare equipment bags, WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets, or even Grandmaster Mark Shards."
Coolio, so nothing will be done to get the rewards of supports and scouts at least close to the level of ROFLOLDPS. Really inspired rework encouraging active participation there, Holmes.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That's coming later (tm).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: So with March coming, I'll finally have access to goals like a skyscale and... whatever IBS gives you. The remaining goal after those is to do just enough WvW to score a commander tag. Given the recent changes, is it just rolling a character with whatever class is a 1v1/zerg nightmare?

Hyperlynx posted:

I still think it sucks that the story is "you're the one hero" in a loving MMO. So all sixty people, waiting for Teqatl to spawn, are each The Pact Commander.

I felt like I'd blacked out at some point during the one personal story playthrough (sylvari) I'd done because I went from doing standard low level cleanup detail, to stealing a magic sword for some reason, to being a low level member of an organization... to being responsible for saving the world. You don't even get the drat sword. Some jerk, who is the worst of the NPC crew, just shows up. He's the actual leader and you're... The Commander? Why is he not the commander? Dude seems to be commanding everything. If I'm leading the whole attack, which is the crux of the world-saving attempt to whack a dragon, what the hell is The Real Leader doing?

I roll my eyes at The Chosen One storylines but I've played enough RPGs to not have it affect me. Same for the multiplayer We're All Chosen Ones stuff. Something just hit weirder about having it be this sectioned-off, curated single-player experience and also having nothing to do with the player. I still feel like I missed the bit where they explained I was foretold by a prophecy or the child of some god or whatever.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 14, 2023

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
As a Sylvari it makes a bit of sense lorewise, as the higher born ones have a wild hunt, read: personal destiny, to fulfill. "Serial killer of elder dragons and gods" still puts all other wild hunts to shame though.

€: you can also get "that sword" if you play the HOT epilogue.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

All of the Sylvari get a Wyld Hunt it's just all the Firstborn got the cool ones and everyone has to deal with the lame ones that resolve at level 10.

Trahearne did suck a lot though, I'm not a fan of the MMO PC being the chosen one but he does show up and basically steal the spotlight and valor from you immediately, while also just being dreadfully boring.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Trahearne is retroactively made slightly more interesting when you realize that Wyld Hunts are actually biologically-imperative missions implanted by an Elder Dragon and that his was to go fight (specifically: not kill Zhaitan but "remove the corruption of Orr") another Elder Dragon and he did so by gathering a massive army, one that he used to kill Zhaitain (thus powering up and beginning the awakening of Mordremoth) and then one that he personally led the total destruction of in a terrible military maneuver that also handed Mordremoth 1/5 of his troops. He was a bad guy the whole time, whoops!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yay content.

What is that?

Console port :getin:

No but seriously, of all the mmos on the market gw2 is perhaps best suited to controllers. I would absolutely love them to add it, but the UI work required would be immense.

No need. Consoles have supported keyboard and mouse for 10+ years now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

All of the Sylvari get a Wyld Hunt it's just all the Firstborn got the cool ones and everyone has to deal with the lame ones that resolve at level 10.

The player sylvari's wyld hunt is specifically to kill an Elder Dragon so that one doesn't resolve until the end of the personal story, at least :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127677-game-update-notes-february-14-2023/

Patch note highlight:
A new button that allows players to randomize their skins or dyes has been added to the Wardrobe and Dyes tabs of the Hero panel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127677-game-update-notes-february-14-2023/

Patch note highlight:
A new button that allows players to randomize their skins or dyes has been added to the Wardrobe and Dyes tabs of the Hero panel.

GOAT HELL YES FINALLY AHHHHH

Edit: Randomize mounts, outfits and mail carriers upon each use if you want or just from your selection of favorites.

Randomize face and body as well!!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is the loot from 5 of the new containers getting gold on a WvW capture or defense event (plus one champ bag so slightly misrepresentative but only slightly) and that's honestly kind of a bad pull given some of the boxes I opened today.

I can't imagine it stays like this, I think in around four hours after the patch I went up around 10-15 of each T6 mat, while we were getting our faces stomped in on Mag. Which is middling for other activities but for WvW is basically mana from heaven.

You also get a GM mark shard for basically any remotely contested defense or cap, which is not useful for many of our long-time players but is super nice if you're still working on WvW legendary armors.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 14, 2023

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

The rewards blog post also mentioned skirmish tickets as part of the rewards-- did you happen to see if that was true, and how many?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Orv posted:

You also get a GM mark shard for basically any remotely contested defense or cap, which is not useful for many of our long-time players but is super nice if you're still working on WvW legendary armors.

That's actually huge for a lot of people trying to get ascended equipment. Marks can be used also at spvp and fractal ascended armor/weapon merchants, so that's an easier way into ascended gear/high level fractals if crafting is too expensive.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ptroll posted:

The rewards blog post also mentioned skirmish tickets as part of the rewards-- did you happen to see if that was true, and how many?

Oh yeah that’s probably worth mentioning. You get 1 from most captures and defenses and I’ve gotten 2 from really nasty ones. No higher though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Orv posted:

Oh yeah that’s probably worth mentioning. You get 1 from most captures and defenses and I’ve gotten 2 from really nasty ones. No higher though.

Thank you!
That's not a huge amount but it'll absolutely add up over time. I'll happily take it, the ticket hellgrind is probably the worst reward structure in the game.