Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bleck posted:

Another complaint about Metroid Prime, less a game issue and more of a dev problem that went unfixed.

In one room in Phendrana Drifts, there are ice-flavored Shriekbats tucked in the corners of some of the buildings. It's the only room they appear in the game, and they have their own log entry. Once you collect the thermal visor, the enemy spawns in the room are changed to a single adult Sheegoth - the Ice Shriekbats no longer spawn, and if you hadn't scanned them for whatever reason, you can't scan them from that point on.

This was fixed in the Japanese release... and then broken again in the Wii release. I assumed it would be fixed for good in this version, but I just discovered, much to my irritation, that it was not.

Logbook progress transfers to NG+, so that'll be the only thing I'm missing, but, bleh.
I mean there are plenty of missable scans. I forgot Flaagrah's tentacles were a separate scan so I'm screwed now but thankfully don't care much. I guess it's more irritating when it's a random respawning enemy who just stops respawning arbitrarily though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there any means to get the Fusion Suit in the Prime Remaster?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, Metroid Prime has NG+?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, my fan is absolutely hosed up, now after like 30 seconds of running any app it will start making noise and whirling hard enough to vibrate the controls. loving hell, I hadn't finished Engage yet.

So now my ootions are sending it to Nintendo (who will charge 30€ minimum+whatever the fix costs and might try and replace the console with another), find a place that fixes them (and pray it's trustworthy) or buck up for an OLED and pray to god Nintendo doesn't announce the next model/console in 3 years.

Because I ain't trying it myself, I'm disastrous at that stuff.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess it's more irritating when it's a random respawning enemy who just stops respawning arbitrarily though
Those fuckers were what stopped me getting 100% on my first try.
Stuff that comes.up during a boss? Yeah, I'm on the look out for that kind of shenanigans.
Bog standard enemy that killed itself before I could scan? I'll get it next time I'm here!

Honestly it felt more like they just forgot there weren't any more icicle shriekbats after that point, because it's so different from the other missables.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, my fan is absolutely hosed up, now after like 30 seconds of running any app it will start making noise and whirling hard enough to vibrate the controls. loving hell, I hadn't finished Engage yet.

So now my ootions are sending it to Nintendo (who will charge 30€ minimum+whatever the fix costs and might try and replace the console with another), find a place that fixes them (and pray it's trustworthy) or buck up for an OLED and pray to god Nintendo doesn't announce the next model/console in 3 years.

I consulted my astrological chart and did several Nintendo-based Tarot readings and all signs point to the fact that theyre ramping up production on the Switch so 3 years is long enough window that an OLED will last you. They're never wrong about these things...

Your guess is as good as mine. numbers and various interviews I think say they're in the last of third of production but there's been no credible leaks. Personally? I'd pay the 30€ to have my fan fixed but an OLED is a really nice piece of hardware and everybody who has one says they can't go back. I dont know how you feel about selling used hardware, but if you're ok with it, you could probably split the dif.

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 14, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

Those fuckers were what stopped me getting 100% on my first try.
Stuff that comes.up during a boss? Yeah, I'm on the look out for that kind of shenanigans.
Bog standard enemy that killed itself before I could scan? I'll get it next time I'm here!

Honestly it felt more like they just forgot there weren't any more icicle shriekbats after that point, because it's so different from the other missables.

Yeah my initial thought was "big deal, there's other missables" but by the end of the post I had changed my mind, that's really stupid lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

wizard2 posted:

Your guess is as good as mine. numbers and various interviews I think say they're in the last of third of production but there's been no credible leaks. Personally? I'd pay the 30€ to have my fan fixed but an OLED is a really nice piece of hardware and everybody who has one says they can't go back. I dont know how you feel about selling used hardware, but if you're ok with it, you could probably split the dif.

The 30€ is just for sending and storage, they'd charge also whatever the fix costs. I could also bring it to a game store that does do fixes, thank god for my bank vetting my Switch purchases so I can block my stuff in case someone would hack my account or something, I'm unhealthyly paranoid about that.

And if I went for the buy route I'd like to keep the old one anywyas because it's a release model and therefore it's easy to :filez:, and obv I'd have less hangups if I transfered my stuff to a new Switch and left the old one clean.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oh no i thought there was a replaceable fan you could just install yourself, thats not true? That sucks, id rather do that then send it in

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The 30€ is just for sending and storage, they'd charge also whatever the fix costs. I could also bring it to a game store that does do fixes, thank god for my bank vetting my Switch purchases so I can block my stuff in case someone would hack my account or something, I'm unhealthyly paranoid about that.

And if I went for the buy route I'd like to keep the old one anywyas because it's a release model and therefore it's easy to :filez:, and obv I'd have less hangups if I transfered my stuff to a new Switch and left the old one clean.

OH??? It's a hackable Switch? definitely fix it, no question. itll cost more in the long run to fix it later when filez is on the table for you.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh no i thought there was a replaceable fan you could just install yourself, thats not true? That sucks, id rather do that then send it in

looks like theres a $20 kit for that yeah

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get every scan, there's no reward for it. Just scan something if you need more info or are interested in it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I mean there are plenty of missable scans. I forgot Flaagrah's tentacles were a separate scan so I'm screwed now but thankfully don't care much. I guess it's more irritating when it's a random respawning enemy who just stops respawning arbitrarily though

Something worse then Ice Sheikbats are Aqua Drones. They spawn in one room in Crashed Frigate, once you reach the other side of Crashed Frigate they never respawn again, and look and act exactly like regular security drones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly kinda leaning towards an OLEd for the following reasons:

1)I play undocked a lot, a nicer screen + bigger battery life should be very noticeable for me (and burb in shouldn't be a problem unless I play StS for 4+ daily without sleep mode)

2)With a functional Switch I can send the old one to repair with no worries.

3) Per the laws of the universe, once the devolution period ends Nintendo will announce the next generation/model of Switch, which while screwing me over, it will be a net win for the community.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The OLED switch makes playing an OG switch really hard.

It's a seriously great upgrade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm glad there are some cheeky easy to miss scans

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The OLED switch makes playing an OG switch really hard.

It's a seriously great upgrade.

Do games run slightly better on OLED? Like, not saying it's a magical fix, more like they look slightly less jagged and load faster.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Do games run slightly better on OLED? Like, not saying it's a magical fix, more like they look slightly less jagged and load faster.

No difference in performance, the screen just seriously is that much nicer and clearer, especially on games with dark backgrounds. Metroid Dread was the perfect 'launch' title for it. GB/GBA games with the pixel filter look obscenely good.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Feeling Pikmin hype, I fired up the first one again. 22 years later it still whips rear end. And despite being able to collect parts way faster than I could as a 11 year old on Christmas, I still get stomped into oblivion fighting Beady Long Legs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...oh, cool, OLED is like, 3mm longer than the original LMAO. Means I can use my Zelda bag for it, probably. Will need new screen protector for the increased screen though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bleck posted:

It's the only room they appear in the game, and they have their own log entry. Once you collect the thermal visor, the enemy spawns in the room are changed to a single adult Sheegoth - the Ice Shriekbats no longer spawn, and if you hadn't scanned them for whatever reason, you can't scan them from that point on.
Every playthrough I miss exactly one scan. Most recently it was an Elite Pirate, not sure how the Phazon Elite, which is distinct from the Elite Pirate (so that's how).

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 14, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

1)I play undocked a lot, a nicer screen + bigger battery life should be very noticeable for me (and burb in shouldn't be a problem unless I play StS for 4+ daily without sleep mode)

2)With a functional Switch I can send the old one to repair with no worries.

3) Per the laws of the universe, once the devolution period ends Nintendo will announce the next generation/model of Switch, which while screwing me over, it will be a net win for the community.

Yeah, if you play handheld basically at all, and have the money to be thinking about maybe getting an OLED, it's definitely worth it. Even moreso if you have a launch switch, mine was getting like 2-3 hours with newer games and with my OLED I basically have never had to even think about battery life.

Definitely make sure you get an OLED size screen protector though, because the screen is a different size and shape (little notch cutouts differ between the models)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hrist posted:

Movies are heavily dictated by what will sell to kids / families that will take their kids. That's also the reason why you get 10 Shreks and 6 Kung Fu Pnadas, and maybe 1 original IP in a 5 year time span.

Dis motherfucker talking like Shrek isn’t an original IP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

OLED isn’t going to have any impact on performance, but I think it’s supposed to be a little more battery efficient than LCD.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mmm, alright. I'm gonna try first to leave the Switch turned off for a while, I remember when I started having problems with the fan I stopped using the Switch and after some time it run a bit better.

Mostly because new Switch+Screen protector+Expansion Pass I planned to get + maybe Metroid? would kinda sting even if I can afford it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

on the topic of upgrading, is there a dummyproof guide to upgrading to a new console?

I plan to get the zelda oled and upgrade my microsd as well. I also have an animal crossing island to transfer as well. Would it wiser to upgrade microsd then upgrade the console?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

AlternateNu posted:

:actually: to be pedantic it was a book first.

To be on topic, there's new Pokemon Mystery Gift codes for Scarlet and Violet.

NintendoLife really liked Theatrhythm, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

glassyalabolas posted:

on the topic of upgrading, is there a dummyproof guide to upgrading to a new console?

I plan to get the zelda oled and upgrade my microsd as well. I also have an animal crossing island to transfer as well. Would it wiser to upgrade microsd then upgrade the console?

you can't, iirc, plug and play microSDs, the switch will automatically format it if it's inserted into a new console

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

it's not

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah it was a book

also RIP Farley, that video of his reads is pretty interesting stuff

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

guess your mother will be right at home with theatrhythm then :xd:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you can't, iirc, plug and play microSDs, the switch will automatically format it if it's inserted into a new console

TBF only screenshots and videos are saved to the SD, saves have to be on the internal memory. And games have to be redownloaded to prevent Wii era exploits.

And that internal memory is what gets transferred on a system transfer, right? I'd still have to get a microSD to USB reader to make a backup at my PC, doesn't have a SD reader.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I think anyone with a non-OLED Switch considering upgrading to the OLED now should seriously consider putting the funds towards a Steam Deck as an alternative--assuming you live in a region where the Deck is available for purchase and you don't already have one.

For some folks the OLED will be the correct purchase in the end, especially with Zelda coming out soon. Or if you don't have any Steam library to speak of. But the Deck's options with regard to emulation--particularly of Nintendo's entire past up to (and in some cases, including) the Switch can't be overstated. Every port you wish had come out for the Switch, like Castlevania: SotN, or the other Metroid Prime titles, etc., they're all good on the Deck. Plus it won't be immediately obsolete when Nintendo does announce the Switch successor.

That said, the OLED screen is really really good.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think anyone with a non-OLED Switch considering upgrading to the OLED now should seriously consider putting the funds towards a Steam Deck as an alternative--assuming you live in a region where the Deck is available for purchase and you don't already have one.

For some folks the OLED will be the correct purchase in the end, especially with Zelda coming out soon. Or if you don't have any Steam library to speak of. But the Deck's options with regard to emulation--particularly of Nintendo's entire past up to (and in some cases, including) the Switch can't be overstated. Every port you wish had come out for the Switch, like Castlevania: SotN, or the other Metroid Prime titles, etc., they're all good on the Deck. Plus it won't be immediately obsolete when Nintendo does announce the Switch successor.

That said, the OLED screen is really really good.

yes but have you thought the deck is peepeepoopoo

On a serious note, I already have a high end PC for that stuff, and I'm perfectly fine with not having that stuff as portable. Also I'd like to have an actual battery life and not deal with messing with computer stuff in something with a tiny screen and no easy mouse.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ya dude, I say shelve the hackable Switch for a DYI and get an OLED 👍

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Best I could do.

It is delightful, thanks

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The question is if to get the Pokemon model. It's only like 10€ more, looks cool and would probably sell better in the future if Nintendo releases the next model to spite me.

Also to not clog up the thread with my mass posting, I really wanna get Prime Remastered soon. Once I beat Engage probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

The first one was, sure. But that was probably 20 years ago. Rabbids were probably original at some point too.