Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Using Zod actually works here. Aquaman 2 is still coming and Wakanda Forever just came out, so having Atlantis attack doesn't really work, and since this is essentially meant to be a closing out of the Snyder stuff it makes sense to go back to MoS, for better or worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
When I heard they were bringing Micheal Keaton back I just assumed he'd be an older retired Bruce like in Batman Beyond. Definitely didn't expect him to be flipping around and flying through the air like nothing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rohan Kishibe posted:

This is, what, the like third or forth adaptation of Flashpoint already? If they're determined to constantly tell stories about Barry being a colossal gently caress up and ruining everything we could at least have him put on trial for Zod-ing Eobard rather than rehashing this one thing.

It's very funny to me that DC has decided (probably because Johns was in charge for so long) that The Definitive Flash Story is one that pretty much sucked.

Can you imagine if they just kept remaking, like, Hush?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I honestly think it's more of using a name but having nothing to do with the comics outside of a basic outline, kind of like how Civil War had a fight between Iron Man and Captain America but had its own path, or Days of Future Path still had time travel but changed it to more of what was going on in the films.
Flashpoint will have Flash and time travel but probably not be close to the comics all all

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

I honestly think it's more of using a name but having nothing to do with the comics outside of a basic outline, kind of like how Civil War had a fight between Iron Man and Captain America but had its own path, or Days of Future Path still had time travel but changed it to more of what was going on in the films.
Flashpoint will have Flash and time travel but probably not be close to the comics all all

It's still 'Flash goes back in time to save Momma Allen, breaks everything, loses powers'

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least this version of Flashpoint won't have the world about to end due to Atlantis and the Amazon's going to war.

You know something about the trailer replicating panels from the comic made me realize that when marvel does it, it feels organic, while DC always feels like that scene was constructed around that image.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, let's set aside 'will it be good' for a second: I'll buy the Flashpoint thing in the comics because there's so many variables due to 80 years of time travel and thousands of moving parts... But in the DCEU? How does Barry going back in time to save his mom stop Clark crashing in Smallville? We'll ignore Wonder Woman because obviously BvS already had to awkwardly sidestep the issue of why Diana ignored Zod the first time. Why does Barry's time gently caress-up prevent Aquaman from existing? (other than 'we didn't wanna pay Jason for more than a day's shooting')

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

Also, let's set aside 'will it be good' for a second: I'll buy the Flashpoint thing in the comics because there's so many variables due to 80 years of time travel and thousands of moving parts... But in the DCEU? How does Barry going back in time to save his mom stop Clark crashing in Smallville? We'll ignore Wonder Woman because obviously BvS already had to awkwardly sidestep the issue of why Diana ignored Zod the first time. Why does Barry's time gently caress-up prevent Aquaman from existing? (other than 'we didn't wanna pay Jason for more than a day's shooting')
I presume it's not gonna be so much of a butterfly effect thing as a "by time travelling you somehow jumped multiverses" thing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

We don't know at this point because the trailer suggests it isn't just time travel but also parallel universes. Biggest example being Batman '89, who would have nothing to do with Barry's mom other than maybe existing in a universe where she's alive.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
finally got around to watching the flash trailer and it looks visually interesting but nothing about the substance grips me. so uh, probably waiting to pirate this one

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Gaz-L posted:

The way it’s explained in the comics is it’s the stone in the pond effect. Running through the time stream and changing his mom’s death caused chronal ripples that spread out in all directions through time and affected other stuff. That’s the gist of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Dr Manhattan did it I think.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

jiffynuts posted:

The way it’s explained in the comics is it’s the stone in the pond effect. Running through the time stream and changing his mom’s death caused chronal ripples that spread out in all directions through time and affected other stuff. That’s the gist of it.

Yeah, this never made any sense in the comics either. Reverse Flash going back in time to kill Barry's mom made no ripples outside of Barry's life but Barry reversing Reverse Flash's actions apparently causes Aquaman and Wonder Woman to bring about the end of the world. I'm curious how Barry's mom even dies if there is no Reverse Flash/Reverse Flash is actually Barry.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My kingdom for loving Captain Cold on the big screen. Gimme Weather Wizard. Gimme the Trickster. I’ll even take the Top. Just give me a loving FLASH MOVIE

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I finally watched Wakanda Forever and I enjoyed it. I liked the visual style of Namor and his people and city. Really enjoyed M'Baku especially the "bald headed demon" crack and I thought he had a good amount of time and things to do in the film. I do wish they'd just recast T'Challa but Shuri was a decent lead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Parkingtigers posted:

Huh, well either I'm an idiot or the DCEU is really hard to follow from the outside. (I'm definitely an idiot, the other part may or may not also be true.)

Whenever one of these movies comes out part of me plans what the little mini marathon is I'll do to watch it with my mom since she loves these things but doesn't really remember moves from like 5 years ago. And in this case my first draft marathon is like... the Burton Batman films, Man of Steel, and Whedon's Justice League? That's weird as gently caress.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The bald/ashy comments in bp2 had real “people talk spicy/low key racist to each other within minority communities, let’s try and do that” energy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

that person doesn't know any PoC it's fine

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The bald/ashy comments in bp2 had real “people talk spicy/low key racist to each other within minority communities, let’s try and do that” energy.

I'm an ocean away and don't interact with that community so I could be way off base but it seemed like a scared Riri throwing out an insult to someone who had just threatened her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bessantj posted:

I finally watched Wakanda Forever and I enjoyed it. I liked the visual style of Namor and his people and city. Really enjoyed M'Baku especially the "bald headed demon" crack and I thought he had a good amount of time and things to do in the film. I do wish they'd just recast T'Challa but Shuri was a decent lead.
I thought most of it was good, but the Okoye plotline was kind of dumb and had a weird ending with her getting in what is essentially a Wakandan Iron Man suit that looks like poo poo, and everything with Riri Williams and the CIA could have been removed from the movie without hurting it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought most of it was good, but the Okoye plotline was kind of dumb and had a weird ending with her getting in what is essentially a Wakandan Iron Man suit that looks like poo poo, and everything with Riri Williams and the CIA could have been removed from the movie without hurting it

The Midnight Angel suit is straight out of Brian Stelfreeze's art from him and TNC's run on the comics. And it's a great, unique design within cape comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also it's setting up a TV show, like everything now.

All 3 of those points actually.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Boxman posted:

It's very funny to me that DC has decided (probably because Johns was in charge for so long) that The Definitive Flash Story is one that pretty much sucked.

Can you imagine if they just kept remaking, like, Hush?

Hush is at least a Batman story and there are the bones of something decent there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aside from all her failures Okoye did nothing wrong!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Also Dr Manhattan did it I think.

You know as much as I hate that in the comics, sure gently caress it, go maximum stupid now in this movie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gaz-L posted:

The Midnight Angel suit is straight out of Brian Stelfreeze's art from him and TNC's run on the comics. And it's a great, unique design within cape comics.

I mean, YMMV and all, but I too thought it looked like dogshit. Just looked up the comic design as I'm a lapsed reader and it's just "what if the main character from A Bug's Life was a superhero?" to me.

Also hated that it kept doing the nano-tech mask on/mask off thing, which I was hoping the MCU was going to step back from as it had gotten silly how many heroes mid fight just expose their face. At least Spidey got a reset to anonymity and a low tech mask, but I can't stop thinking about how much computer processing power it must take to rearrange so much matter around Iron Man's head so that it forms a light emitting HUD and armour and doesn't cut his ears off and flattens his hair down out of the way so it doesn't pinch... and mid battle they can risk turning that off and on repeatedly.

And there's no risk of someone using tech to hijack it, because the same material that gives them an internal display screen also makes flight jets and lasers and if I were a supervillain I'd just try and hack it so those rocket boosters respawn on the inside of the mask. It was already established in the first movie that the the Panther suit could be negated with the train track fields, maybe build your anti-superhero tech around that instead of... uh, supercharged water balloons?

Sorry, rambling and ranting. I just feel the MCU is painted into a corner with the magic nanotech suits and a forced return to more traditional tech would allow for more creative and visually interesting storytelling. I guess part of me wants them to Battlestar Galactica it, make the newer tech a risk that is used against them so they return to more secure and reliable hardware.

I mean, they even have T'challa's mask at his funeral, when at that point his mask was just a soup of atoms rearranged at will. The mask lost all meaning because for 99% of the time the mask does not exist.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 14, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure who she is going to play but I think this is a casting announcement

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1625490184568737795?s=46&t=6h_qMaeazf0JLXZBRC37qw

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dazzler?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They will be part of a new x-force and will also die unceremoniously

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That reminds me are negasonic and yukio coming back

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Movies will never allow superheroes to keep their masks on. Never. The only two exceptions I can think of is the Karl Urban Dredd, which was Apparently an ongoing fight, AND is a helmet with an exposed lower face, and Deadpool, which was Ryan Reynolds passion project and I'm pretty sure still had some scenes where he ripped his mask off mid fight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's still only 2 groups using nanosuits in the MCU: Wakandan gear built by Shuri who invented the technology, and suits built for people by Tony who stole the idea.

Although notably not Pepper's.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

You know as much as I hate that in the comics, sure gently caress it, go maximum stupid now in this movie.

Have it be Gunn painted blue and at the end he snaps and the new status quo starts

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

E: @Aphrodite

It's not due to nanosuit tech, but in Thor:Love & Thunder, the Mighty Thor's helmet dissolves off her head when Thor shows up in New Asgard during the shadow creature fight so that they can have have a few words of banter before it reappears on her head and they can go back to fighting off the monsters. So, even if it's not nanotechnology, it's still going to happen all over the place in the MCU. Also cf: Quill's helmet.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Have it be Gunn painted blue and at the end he snaps and the new status quo starts

Would the dong be CGI or troma style

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

E: @Aphrodite

It's not due to nanosuit tech, but in Thor:Love & Thunder, the Mighty Thor's helmet dissolves off her head when Thor shows up in New Asgard during the shadow creature fight so that they can have have a few words of banter before it reappears on her head and they can go back to fighting off the monsters. So, even if it's not nanotechnology, it's still going to happen all over the place in the MCU. Also cf: Quill's helmet.

Yeah a few others have collapsing helmets/masks too but Parkingtigers was also talking about nanotech being flawed in universe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Would the dong be CGI or troma style

Both

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It took me a while to adjust to the suit because I agree I think it could be better even if it is very faithful to the comics, something that Marvel Studios seems to seek to do when it comes to design. Yes the Riri stuff could have been completely excised from the film and it probably would have been a benefit but these days you have to have things that set up a dozen other things in your films/TV Shows. The new Flash film looks like it's going to do things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gotta admit, I don't like that the Ant-Man suit is apparently an auto-deploy, slap-on-your-chest thing in the new movie.