Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1625491604353200137?s=46&t=mN4dS0_d6U0pwjXvl4j-oA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

Haggis is absolutely elite tier (once you get over the ingredients) what are you all on about. I could sit with a bowl of that stuff and eat it with a spoon, and I have done exactly that on several occasions.

It suffers from the problem that sheep's meat is greasy.
Now if you made it from Pork then you get an elite tier food. (Namely Black or White Pudding.)

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

endlessmonotony posted:

I've got a brand and I'm sticking to it.

Arguing the minutiae of semantics is... well, I wouldn't say fun, but an username / post combo at any rate.

You mean "a username" surely...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I could explain I swapped the implied meaning from "I won't say I couldn't care less but that's damning with faint praise" to "I should care less", but that would ruin the joke.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

frytechnician posted:

You mean "a username" surely...

I don't, that's the way my accent works.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
what is an language, if you really think about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

what is an language, if you really think about it

A miserable pile of phonemes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't, that's the way my accent works.
lmao alright I’m enjoying this gimmick now

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm hardly a prescriptivist linguistically and people can say whatever they want if people understand it but 'could care less' does stand out to me because the words mean exactly the opposite of the intended usage.

E: also missed it earlier but I am furious that they're ditching lilt, that poo poo is a top tier drink

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm hardly a prescriptivist linguistically and people can say whatever they want if people understand it but 'could care less' does stand out to me because the words mean exactly the opposite of the intended usage.

E: also missed it earlier but I am furious that they're ditching lilt, that poo poo is a top tier drink

just imagine there's an apostrophe abbreviatin' away the n't

I could' care less

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not a mistake at all, it's just how language works.

It is not a mistake to use the word 'mistake' to mean 'a usage that is commonly thought wrong'. That's just how language works, too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TACD posted:

lmao alright I’m enjoying this gimmick now

:tipshat:

I was fully expecting a "listen here you little poo poo" from anyone who gets both the accent joke and the translation joke with that one. It's dumb even for me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s how every budget works in every department of every organisation on the face of the planet.

If you don’t spend it then you clearly don’t need it so next year we won’t bother giving it to you, savings!

I used to work in the procurement dept for a police force and on 31st March got an URGENT call from a superintendent about a purchase that had to be approved TODAY

It was for fake potted plants for their witness protection rooms

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you have the ability to arbitarily reduce the amount you care about something then you probably don't care about it much in the first place is how i see it.

ThomasPaine posted:

They're just rebranding it as a flavour of fanta. It still sucks but at least it'll still exist.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I am sorry for trolling the thread with a language derail.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

I am sorry for trolling the thread with a language derail.

Nothing like a good language derail :D

I watched this in the early hours of this morning and thought it made a good metaphor.
How the English Language got 'woke' between 1100 & 1400 CE by doing away with genders for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaVI-IStNE

(I like this guy's videos on language).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

It suffers from the problem that sheep's meat is greasy.
Now if you made it from Pork then you get an elite tier food. (Namely Black or White Pudding.)

White pudding is made with beef suet, not pork (although pork is sometimes added). Also it's loving vile.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ThomasPaine posted:

It's just being rebranded to pineapple and grapefruit Tango.

MeinPanzer posted:

I’m Canadian and yeah it’s always bothered me because it obviously makes no sense. I just thought I’d heard Brits make the same mistake as well.

Some Brits do, and I could be wrong but i've always attributed it to the increased accessibility to US TV like Friends etc in the 90s, 00s etc.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 14, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

White pudding is made with beef suet, not pork (although pork is sometimes added). Also it's loving vile.
Which newspaper does the vile white colon full of beef suet write for?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know it's not usually kosher to share random Internet bigots in here, but holy poo poo, this is almost magnificent:

https://twitter.com/bramhamalex/status/1625219694448746511?s=46&t=mN4dS0_d6U0pwjXvl4j-oA

https://twitter.com/bramhamalex/status/1625239053745418241?s=46&t=mN4dS0_d6U0pwjXvl4j-oA

https://twitter.com/bramhamalex/status/1625452571639926784?s=46&t=mN4dS0_d6U0pwjXvl4j-oA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I think that deserves to be crossposted in the Hot Takes thread, it's certainly original

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I preferred it when he united his bollocks with a bollard while attempting to harass some anti conversion therapy campaigners.

https://twitter.com/BeansalotJr/status/1625164217752989698

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I disagree that a terf themed wedding has acquired equal dignity to most other weddings, and I don't think weddings are valid unless someone starts a fist fight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As a trans rights account I can't find at the moment put it, the trans are no longer living rent free in his head by this point, they've built three houses and the little red hotel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are people who get married in a las vegas hooters and divorce over settling the bill, whose partnership has more dignity than that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

As a trans rights account I can't find at the moment put it, the trans are no longer living rent free in his head by this point, they've built threefour houses and the little red hotel.

:colbert:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/BramhamAlex/status/1625229010908094478

What a bizarre thread

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jedit posted:

I know there are regional variants but I've never seen a white pudding where the primary ingredients weren't pork, pork fat and oats in that order.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Destroy den, der, das, die the genders.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Me and my girl, white pudding
Me and my girl, out on the ice
Me and my girl, white pudding
Me and my girl, ooh paradise

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
White pudding / Black pudding.

The eternal battle between dark and light.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Nice day for a, white pudding

also lol

https://twitter.com/BramhamAlex/status/1625509177861734402

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Hey language fans, Vanguard just sent me an email with the subject "We’re updating our terms and condition’s" so everything's going great, as you can tell.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Only Kindness posted:

Hey language fans, Vanguard just sent me an email with the subject "We’re updating our terms and condition’s" so everything's going great, as you can tell.

They're updating their terms, as well as condition's terms

It's perfectly cromulent

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

big scary monsters posted:

I used to go to a butcher's that did haggis and black pudding pies, incredible stuff.

Deeny's do Haggis Toasties and they're great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

White pudding / Black pudding.

The eternal battle between dark and light.
Every goon has two puddings inside them.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

poodung

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between black & white puddings. you imbecile. you loving moron"

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Guavanaut posted:

Every goon has two puddings inside them.

That sounds low for goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I too don't understand this