Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
To drink absinthe first get a glass and an absinthe spoon. Lay the spoon over the rim of the glass and put a sugar cube on top. Pour in a measure of absinthe over the sugar cube. Now top up with water until the suger cube is almost dissolved, then stir.

Given that absinthe can be 85% ABV this is still a pretty strong drink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4RnJ6PeDW4

About 20 years ago Absinthe was legalized to sell in most of the EU. The hallucinogenic - wormwood - is no longer used. People here were drinking it neat as shots. A local nightclub made you sign a waiver if you drank more than two. I hated selling it to customers in our bar. It was mostly young eejits drinking it on a dare. We weren't using the 25ml measures they used in the nightclub either - 35ml. Seen so many people ruin a night early after not realizing they've downed the equivalent of a half bottle of spirits in less than 20 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Valko posted:

To drink absinthe first get a glass and an absinthe spoon. Lay the spoon over the rim of the glass and put a sugar cube on top. Pour in a measure of absinthe over the sugar cube. Now top up with water until the suger cube is almost dissolved, then stir.

Given that absinthe can be 85% ABV this is still a pretty strong drink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4RnJ6PeDW4

About 20 years ago Absinthe was legalized to sell in most of the EU. The hallucinogenic - wormwood - is no longer used. People here were drinking it neat as shots. A local nightclub made you sign a waiver if you drank more than two. I hated selling it to customers in our bar. It was mostly young eejits drinking it on a dare. We weren't using the 25ml measures they used in the nightclub either - 35ml. Seen so many people ruin a night early after not realizing they've downed the equivalent of a half bottle of spirits in less than 20 mins.

i thought you were supposed to light the sugar cube on fire? or is that some newfangled variation?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You're supposed to heat absinthe at pressure and blast the absinthe steam through a fine lattice of sugar

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

thehoodie posted:

i thought you were supposed to light the sugar cube on fire? or is that some newfangled variation?

Some people do but I think it's recent, yes. Probably got the idea from sambuca and coffee beans.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You shouldn't light any liquor on fire that you don't want to later be on your crotch, on fire.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Valko posted:

The hallucinogenic - wormwood - is no longer used.

Wrong, and again, wormwood is not hallucinogenic in absinthe.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
All this talk of fire and spirits...

We had this bottle of stuff in our bar - Polish Pure Spirit. It was as close to pure alcohol as it was possible to get - 98% ABV or something. Yeah, young daredevils were drinking it as shots. Two of my friends had stayed late after closing time. One of them decided to chance it. He got it down okay but 10 minutes later he was drooling drunk, after being on pints all night. (there is a reason I don't like super strength spirits).

My other friend picked up the glass. He lit his lighter in the other hand. He slowly tipped the glass, pouring out the last little drop. I think he was expecting a little blue flame. The resulting FWOOSH almost took his eyelashes off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

absinthe does have some cardiovasculsr effects.

It makes the heart grow fonder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tunicate posted:

:mods::negative:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tunicate posted:

:golfclap:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Valko posted:

We had this bottle of stuff in our bar - Polish Pure Spirit. It was as close to pure alcohol as it was possible to get - 98% ABV or something. Yeah, young daredevils were drinking it as shots. Two of my friends had stayed late after closing time. One of them decided to chance it. He got it down okay but 10 minutes later he was drooling drunk, after being on pints all night. (there is a reason I don't like super strength spirits).

I had some 85%~ rum at one point. I did one shot, and could feel it start to kick in before I could even put the shotglass down. Powerful stuff, and honestly it shouldn't be sold at bars outside of mixed drinks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

thehoodie posted:

Afaik that's something that spread with the cheap absinthe imitations that have nothing to do with absinthe, particularly of Czech provenance. They do not produce louche, so there's little point in doing the traditional pouring .

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went through an absinthe phase in college.

I'm pretty sure it isn't quite legal here and the only bar that carried it was a the grimy goth/metal/punk/rockabilly place where the DJs stood in a podium shaped like a coffin and where the floors were sticky enough that you could lose a shoe in the pit/dance floo r if they weren't securely laced.

It would burn as it went down and honestly a lot of that time is in a haze. When we were broke from buying extremely expensive absinthe shots we'd make ends meet by making hobo cocktails from vanilla extract and coke that we'd smuggle into the place.

The absinthe hit hard but the hangover from the vanilla extract was by far worse.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FreudianSlippers posted:

I went through an absinthe phase in college.

I'm pretty sure it isn't quite legal here and the only bar that carried it was a the grimy goth/metal/punk/rockabilly place where the DJs stood in a podium shaped like a coffin and where the floors were sticky enough that you could lose a shoe in the pit/dance floo r if they weren't securely laced.

It would burn as it went down and honestly a lot of that time is in a haze. When we were broke from buying extremely expensive absinthe shots we'd make ends meet by making hobo cocktails from vanilla extract and coke that we'd smuggle into the place.

The absinthe hit hard but the hangover from the vanilla extract was by far worse.

In high school I knew a guy who would shoplift vanilla/orange/lemon/peppermint extract and get drunk on it. His nickname was Ericaholic

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/mollygos/status/1624847572182642689 https://twitter.com/mollygos/status/1624868598870347776

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1625501657902764035

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Those fish deserved better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fairly sure that guy is a member of parliament.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What a grand and intoxicating flavor

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/jestingtime/status/1625260424470880262

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The best sandwiches are ones you squeeze like a paste from warm foil

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

:hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

why bother with bread? tube of nduja, slurp that poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You may think that Kirby plating sucks, but I think it's inspired

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Spotted this in a local Fish and Chip shop in rural N. Ireland.

That looks like grated cheddar cheese on top of some minced meat - the sauce is something people here call 'taco sauce'. It tastes like mayonaise with a dollop of chilli ketchup thrown in.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Sure, it’s taco sauce, in that it’s pronounced “tacko”

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

So, is she baby-birding Kirby or Lady-and-the-Tramping him?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Sure, it’s taco sauce, in that it’s pronounced “tacko”
Tayconnaise

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone tried this?
(Does the Japanese translate to anything different to Fermented Squid Guts?)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Piss Creep posted:

Anyone tried this?

The kanji literally means salty-spicy but it's used as an abbreviation for "salty spicy squid guts" because everyone who can read it knows what it means.

Like how in English you'd use the word "latte" for a caffe latte despite the word literally meaning milk in Italian.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's this coffee bullshit, I obviously meant to order milk squid guts dammit!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I got to taste the new Monster Energy with alcohol tonight.

As predicted, it was disgusting, and they removed the caffeine, which kinda defeats the purpose of marketing it as "Alcoholic Monster"

According to the rep it should be available across the US in a few days? Weeks?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

As predicted, it was disgusting, and they removed the caffeine, which kinda defeats the purpose of marketing it as "Alcoholic Monster"

I like how it’s pretty obvious that we just kinda want a less garbage tasting Four Loko back. Like we can have caffeinated alcoholic beverages, kids are still getting drunk without it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Piss Creep posted:

Anyone tried this?

Yeah. Gross as hell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Worse four loko, seems bad

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Are jagerbombs not a thing in the US

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are jagerbombs not a thing in the US

they're a thing, unfortunately (I say as a person who got blackout drunk on them twice in my life).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Am I weird for treating Jaeger as a sipping drink? People always act like I'm some sort of creep for not drinking it as shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Brawnfire posted:

Am I weird for treating Jaeger as a sipping drink? People always act like I'm some sort of creep for not drinking it as shots.

I like to sip it, but I also like to sip Underberg