Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah like we're going to AK,MK, Hollywood,and Epcot.

Disney Springs is acceptable.

Just trying to find the ones that require reservations for table service that are can't miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grundulum posted:

But how much time do you actually save flying? Between arriving early to the airport, time in air, baggage claim, and arranging for transport to the parks, surely that’s a substantial fraction of the 13 hours you would have spent driving. Now, you certainly are freer to spend that time however you please—if you fall asleep on I-95 bad things happen, but if you nap at 30,000 feet you just arrive feeling rested. Is that what you meant?
13 hours is how long it'll take me to get to MCO from London so I can't imagine how tired I'd be after that length of a drive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TheReverend posted:

Just trying to find the ones that require reservations for table service that are can't miss.

AK:

Tiffins for sure. Nothing else comes close.

Otherwise, the best foodie food is going to be at the resorts and not in the parks. California Grill, Sanaa, Jiko, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Since no one answered it

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What in the gently caress do you drive that's going to let you do a 26-hour round trip for $140 at $3.50+ a gallon? Because drat, I want one.

You probably won't beat that price for a ticket.
A Prius can do it. Probably a hybrid Camry, too. You’d have to average about 49 mph
Or about 47 if gas is $3.40.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Reregged to post this.

I know a lot of you didn't know him that well, but I felt it necessary to tell you all that Chitoryu12, real name Cody, passed away tonight. He left us relatively peacefully, in the company of his mother. If anyone has any questions or comments, I'm here. Thanks.

loving awful news. hung out with him a few times and he was a nice guy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheReverend posted:

You a big money baller? Nothing inside the resort touches Takumi Tei in EPCOT.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheReverend posted:

My wife is organizing a Disney trip with the 3 yo.
Her agent is saying we need to reserve table service restaurants soon.

What are some good ones (for the adults) who are "foodies" I guess. As in we will prioritize culinary talent over ambiance.

If this is an impossible question, my apologies.

With a 3 year old, you probably are fine taking time off from the parks to eat at the resorts. California grill and Jiko are great suggestions, as is Sanaa. The restaurants at Grand Floridian are also all pretty highly rated, I think.

I do have a question, though - when you say "foodies," do you mean you're seeking out the best food available (and are willing to pay for it), or just that you'd prefer to something better than a theme park burger and would prefer to avoid a gimmicky meal? There are plenty of good table service restaurants that fit into that second category without breaking the bank.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Reregged to post this.

I know a lot of you didn't know him that well, but I felt it necessary to tell you all that Chitoryu12, real name Cody, passed away tonight. He left us relatively peacefully, in the company of his mother. If anyone has any questions or comments, I'm here. Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear this. My condolances.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Bottom Liner posted:

loving awful news. hung out with him a few times and he was a nice guy.

poo poo, that is awful news.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

This is shocking news. I'm so sorry.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sad. :(

Everyone should get the hepatitis vaccines.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Really sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated if there is any sort of fund/expenses donation thing, and hope you're doing okay as well.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Aw poo poo :(

Dude was a James Bond scholar

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
gently caress, that sucks, he was a great part of this thread.

I'll pour a hippopatamaitai out in his honor next trip

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheReverend posted:

So this is a tough one as it's hard to recommend things without your total itinerary. Some folks are good with a 2-3 hour detour to eat, some folks want to just eat at whatever park they're at. Dining at Disney parks or the resorts is different to me than dining at Disney Springs. Disney Springs has some legit restaurants, the parks and resorts have a few good ones, but most of them are geared towards appealing to a mass audience. There's also the question of if you want to do any character dining with the 3yo. Lots of folks do character meals with young ones as it's a great way to see a bunch of characters in a short amount of time and get some good pictures.

The restaurants that book up the fastest are the character dining meals/buffets and those are the ones you need to be online for 60 days out or whatever it is these days (it used to be 180 days!). The main point of these is the character interactions, not the food. Before I get going, I'm a pretty harsh critic of Disney Dining these days so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't think any in park dining is "can't miss". There's a few restaurants that are worth your time, but most of them will not appeal to a 3 year old. There's only a few restaurants that would come close to "culinary talent". (Not a shot at the hard working culinary employees at Disney, just most restaurants are setup to appeal to a broad swath of the general public).

In park dining:

Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom might be something you're interested in.

Tiffins in Animal Kingdom fits the bill.
I still like the Tusker House buffet. It's the only character meal we still do when we visit and to me the only one that comes close to "worth the price". If you shoot for a late breakfast reservation you can probably get access to the lunch foods as well. The Fab 5 characters are there, and it's a solid character dining experience.

Hollywood Studios doesn't really have any standout dining except for The Hollywood Brown Derby, and even then I'm not sure if I think it would fit a foodie criteria. It's the best option there though.

EPCOT, now there is a wealth of solid dining options here. Too many to really go over. Some folks like myself prefer to just graze around EPCOT and eat from whatever festival booths are open. I could spend a 5 day vacation just eating around the world at EPCOT pretty easily.

Resort dining:
California Grill at the Contemporary (especially Brunch) is solid. A bit pricey but I'll go back.

Ohana Breakfast buffet at the Polynesian isn't a bad choice if you're looking for a breakfast character meal. Who doesn't love Stitch? No culinary magic happening here, just a good environment and good character buffet.

The Grand Floridian has some nice restaurants. I've never been to them so I can't speak to them. Victoria & Alberts is an experience for sure if you're into that thing. Citrico's menu looks like it might be an option.

Topolino's Terrace at the Riviera is worth a look. That's going to be a bit of a detour though.

Disney Springs:

Now this is where it's at. DS has some amazing restaurants.

Morimoto's is a must do for me on every trip. I had the tasting menu at Jaleo by José Andrés and I still talk about that meal years later, worth every penny. The Edison has a cool vibe to it and the food was really good. The Boathouse was a great experience. I don't think there' really a bad restaurant in Disney Springs. Some are overrated as hell (Homecomin' and Chicken Guy) but still solid.

I can talk about this stuff for days, and there's entire youtube channels dedicated to disney dining.

TL;DR You generally only need to worry about 60 day out reservations if you want to do in park character dining, those go quick.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

couldcareless posted:

eye twitch

I know with that av you know better and this is just wrong on purpose right? RIGHT?

lol, sorry I've been on a binge of antagonizing my in-laws and wife about dumb poo poo regarding New Orleans. Old habits. It's almost time to move along to "make really backhanded compliments about LSU" season in that department.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

skipdogg posted:

So this is a tough one as it's hard to recommend things without your total itinerary. Some folks are good with a 2-3 hour detour to eat, some folks want to just eat at whatever park they're at. Dining at Disney parks or the resorts is different to me than dining at Disney Springs. Disney Springs has some legit restaurants, the parks and resorts have a few good ones, but most of them are geared towards appealing to a mass audience. There's also the question of if you want to do any character dining with the 3yo. Lots of folks do character meals with young ones as it's a great way to see a bunch of characters in a short amount of time and get some good pictures.

The restaurants that book up the fastest are the character dining meals/buffets and those are the ones you need to be online for 60 days out or whatever it is these days (it used to be 180 days!). The main point of these is the character interactions, not the food. Before I get going, I'm a pretty harsh critic of Disney Dining these days so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't think any in park dining is "can't miss". There's a few restaurants that are worth your time, but most of them will not appeal to a 3 year old. There's only a few restaurants that would come close to "culinary talent". (Not a shot at the hard working culinary employees at Disney, just most restaurants are setup to appeal to a broad swath of the general public).

In park dining:

Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom might be something you're interested in.

Tiffins in Animal Kingdom fits the bill.
I still like the Tusker House buffet. It's the only character meal we still do when we visit and to me the only one that comes close to "worth the price". If you shoot for a late breakfast reservation you can probably get access to the lunch foods as well. The Fab 5 characters are there, and it's a solid character dining experience.

Hollywood Studios doesn't really have any standout dining except for The Hollywood Brown Derby, and even then I'm not sure if I think it would fit a foodie criteria. It's the best option there though.

EPCOT, now there is a wealth of solid dining options here. Too many to really go over. Some folks like myself prefer to just graze around EPCOT and eat from whatever festival booths are open. I could spend a 5 day vacation just eating around the world at EPCOT pretty easily.

Resort dining:
California Grill at the Contemporary (especially Brunch) is solid. A bit pricey but I'll go back.

Ohana Breakfast buffet at the Polynesian isn't a bad choice if you're looking for a breakfast character meal. Who doesn't love Stitch? No culinary magic happening here, just a good environment and good character buffet.

The Grand Floridian has some nice restaurants. I've never been to them so I can't speak to them. Victoria & Alberts is an experience for sure if you're into that thing. Citrico's menu looks like it might be an option.

Topolino's Terrace at the Riviera is worth a look. That's going to be a bit of a detour though.

Disney Springs:

Now this is where it's at. DS has some amazing restaurants.

Morimoto's is a must do for me on every trip. I had the tasting menu at Jaleo by José Andrés and I still talk about that meal years later, worth every penny. The Edison has a cool vibe to it and the food was really good. The Boathouse was a great experience. I don't think there' really a bad restaurant in Disney Springs. Some are overrated as hell (Homecomin' and Chicken Guy) but still solid.

I can talk about this stuff for days, and there's entire youtube channels dedicated to disney dining.

TL;DR You generally only need to worry about 60 day out reservations if you want to do in park character dining, those go quick.

I would have to recommend Sci-fi Dine In at DHS. The food is fine but the theming is so cool it's absolutely worth it. Everything else in this post I agree with 100%

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would have to recommend Sci-fi Dine In at DHS. The food is fine but the theming is so cool it's absolutely worth it. Everything else in this post I agree with 100%
The theming is so cool that I kind of regret not grabbing a burger there last trip :smith:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Last time I was there (which to be fair, was ages ago), I remember the reel only being like 15 or 20 minutes and then repeating. Is that still the case? It felt like a huge lost opportunity to not show some actual (short) films on there, or to at least put together a couple hours worth of trailers so nobody would see any repeats.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everytime we have gone the loop is just about long enough for 1 meal. I recall it usually starting to loop when we are wrapping up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The reel has never been changed, but it's a little under an hour:

https://vimeo.com/542946629

They probably made it just long enough that you will see the whole thing and not stick around to keep watching.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sci-fi Dine In is my favorite place. The food is good for American food, but the atmosphere is some of the best on property. Just make sure you don't get a car near the kitchen if you have hearing issues like me. It can be loud and make it hard to hear the movie.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I keep meaning to do a meal at the SCi-Fi Dine In. I'm a big Mystery Science Theater fan and I hear the food is great so it's very much my jam, but instead I keep getting distracted by riding Star Tours until my wife throws up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hazo posted:

I keep meaning to do a meal at the SCi-Fi Dine In. I'm a big Mystery Science Theater fan and I hear the food is great so it's very much my jam, but instead I keep getting distracted by riding Star Tours until my wife throws up.

Get on the standby list and ride Star Tours continuously until they call you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get on the standby list and ride Star Tours continuously until they call you.

ride it afterwards, too, for maximum barf possibility!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sci-Fi Dine In is the most fun place to eat in the parks, but it's also probably the worst food out of all the sit down restaurants in the parks, too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chainclaw posted:

Sci-Fi Dine In is the most fun place to eat in the parks, but it's also probably the worst food out of all the sit down restaurants in the parks, too.

I know this thread is for all of us to share our bad takes but have you ever eaten at Crystal Palace? Tony's Town Square? Be Our Guest? Even in just DHS Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine are worse. 50s prime time cafe is a toss up.

I haven't been to Beirgarten in awhile but when it was buffet it was not great.

Scifi is not loaded with options but they do them well imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Agreed. Sci Fi burgers are pretty solid and much better than some of the weaker options at other sit down spots.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah what. The burgers and shakes are pretty darn good.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

alg posted:

I know this thread is for all of us to share our bad takes but have you ever eaten at Crystal Palace? Tony's Town Square? Be Our Guest? Even in just DHS Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine are worse. 50s prime time cafe is a toss up.

Yes, all of those are better options than scifi.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bring back Super Bowl halftime shows that promote Disney attractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXSqaSmhh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVvE66S46A

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 13, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Sci Fi Dine In has better burgers than the quick service but otherwise I find the options kinda meh. The milkshakes are pretty good though. Both it and 50's Prime Time have some solid shake action going on.

I'll take the Meh though because the overall vibe of that place is just perfect for the MST3K lover in me. I need to go next time I am at Studios

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Sci Fi Dine In has better burgers than the quick service but otherwise I find the options kinda meh. The milkshakes are pretty good though. Both it and 50's Prime Time have some solid shake action going on.

I'll take the Meh though because the overall vibe of that place is just perfect for the MST3K lover in me. I need to go next time I am at Studios

same reasons here.
Also as a plant eater Mama Melrose has VERY good options for me

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

Bring back Super Bowl halftime shows that promote Disney attractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVvE66S46A

Same year, but the Cadets show in Orlando's DCI World Championships loving ruled. They played the score from Epcot's IllumiNations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKeHSKrKSYY

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
RIP Chitoryu12 - that’s sad news. I’m glad his mom was able to be with him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When do WDW and UO tend to drop the dates for their Halloween events?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

Same year, but the Cadets show in Orlando's DCI World Championships loving ruled. They played the score from Epcot's IllumiNations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKeHSKrKSYY

DCI and Florida is a cursed combo and it’s insane that they ever held the championships here :lol:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jose Oquendo posted:

WDW should announce in late April the dates for Mickey's Not So Scary. They keep to a pattern though. You can look at last years dates and extrapolate this years.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/04/28/full-list-of-prices-and-dates-for-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-in-disney-world/

Mid August it'll be on Tuesday and Friday or 2 nights a week, September they'll go to 3 nights a week Tues, Fri, Sunday, and then October it goes to 4 nights a week.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

skipdogg posted:

WDW should announce in late April the dates for Mickey's Not So Scary. They keep to a pattern though. You can look at last years dates and extrapolate this years.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022/04/28/full-list-of-prices-and-dates-for-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-in-disney-world/

Mid August it'll be on Tuesday and Friday or 2 nights a week, September they'll go to 3 nights a week Tues, Fri, Sunday, and then October it goes to 4 nights a week.

Perfect. Thanks!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

HHN pretty much always starts the first weekend of September so it'll almost definitely start 9/1 to 9/3 and then Thursday to Sunday through Halloween. Last year it started 9/2-9/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

alg posted:

Actually, wtf ever happened to Be Our Guest? It's a little more than a decade old now, but I remember when it first opened it was really drat good. Reservations were insanely hard to come by early on, but we ran into a small miracle on my wife's birthday in 2013 and ate there. It was exceptionally good. The next time we went, which was 2015 I think, it was terrible. We got in one more time in 2022 (almost a year ago to the day today), and it was even worse.

As for Sci-Fi, I love the ambience but the food sucks. The burgers are ok, but on par with maybe Ruby Tuesday or Chili's, and it's the only decent thing they have.

Tony's, Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine are all somehow worse though.

I like Mama Melrose though. I've always had good meals from there, but I also haven't eaten there since before the pandemic began so I don't know if it's still any good.