Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Freaquency posted:

Better or worse than the Manas steak?

Also I made this cashew chicken recipe from Milk Street tonight and it hit that Chinese takeout itch that I can’t seem to scratch here. A Milk Street sub is well worth it if you like to cook imo

Worse because he definitely spent 12 hours creating that disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Intruder posted:

Worse because he definitely spent 12 hours creating that disappointment

Based on the photo, so did Manas.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1625253862100594712

welp time to move

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So loving glad Biden forced those rail workers back to work without addressing their concerns about railroad safety and maintenance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean there will be an investigation but this one sort of sounds like it was the trucker's fault? Or infrastructure in general's fault because he wasn't warned there was a goddamned train coming/and or he was also working on way too few hours of sleep himself. 18 wheeler gas hauling rig just got blindsided by a train and caused all of that from what I can tell. That shouldn't happen and the train can't really just see it and stop.

Maybe the train didn't blow their horn I guess. e: or was going way too fast I suppose. Like I said, investigation will come.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 14, 2023

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grittybeard posted:

I mean there will be an investigation but this one sort of sounds like it was the trucker's fault? Or infrastructure in general's fault because he wasn't warned there was a goddamned train coming/and or he was also working on way too few hours of sleep himself. 18 wheeler gas hauling rig just got blindsided by a train and caused all of that from what I can tell. That shouldn't happen and the train can't really just see it and stop.

Maybe the train didn't blow their horn I guess. e: or was going way too fast I suppose. Like I said, investigation will come.

18 wheelers hauling hazmat, which includes fuel, should come to a complete stop before the tracks, roll the windows down to listen, and make sure the coast is clear before starting to cross railroad tracks. Source: I had my hazmat endorsement for a few years and learned this.

But also, investigation will come.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We've also constructed our entire infrastructure around encouraging every single actor to ignore all safety regulations when expedient.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

We've also constructed our entire infrastructure around encouraging every single actor to ignore all safety regulations when expedient.

It’s difficult to engineer around human nature.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s difficult to engineer around human nature.

There's no holy age of perfect safety, but we've been able to do better in the past.

It's 2023 and we're dealing with greedy railroad barons and loving child labor. Like, these are things we fixed in the past and then decided as a society "Nah, it was better when people regularly breathed in poison and children were at risk of losing limbs or their lives in a factory or coal mine."

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Safety measures cost money. Expenses are bad so dumb/greedy companies cut them.

Just like everything :capitalism:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Safety measures cost money. Expenses are bad so dumb/greedy companies cut them.

Just like everything :capitalism:

It's funny because safety usually saves money. You're right that only the dumb ones cut them out.

Skwirl posted:

There's no holy age of perfect safety, but we've been able to do better in the past.

It's 2023 and we're dealing with greedy railroad barons and loving child labor. Like, these are things we fixed in the past and then decided as a society "Nah, it was better when people regularly breathed in poison and children were at risk of losing limbs or their lives in a factory or coal mine."

We're in a stage where an entire political party has been completely captured by the capitalists. At least back in the day when we were making things safer, the Republican party at least showed some a little care towards the working class. Then again, the current administration isn't exactly helping either.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's funny because safety usually saves money. You're right that only the dumb ones cut them out.

but cutting away from fixed costs gooses the stock price like none other, and we all know it's the stock price that matters more than anything, including running a proper sustainable business. (:v: )

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

harperdc posted:

but cutting away from fixed costs gooses the stock price like none other, and we all know it's the stock price that matters more than anything, including running a proper sustainable business. (:v: )

Oh! You got my CEOs email too?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Celebrating Valentine's Day by watching the sexiest Star Trek episode. No, not Sub Rosa, the one where Seven fights the Rock in space UFC with sexy unitards.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Celebrating Valentine's Day by watching the sexiest Star Trek episode. No, not Sub Rosa, the one where Seven fights the Rock in space UFC with sexy unitards.

I thought the salamander one where Janeway has Paris’ baby was the sexiest one.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

swickles posted:

Threshold?

Edit:

Silly Burrito posted:

goddammit

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1625295035183898624

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/landofthe80s/status/1625133975982178304?s=46&t=yKKSuEi_c4KMDN91LnXLaw

One of the defining films of my childhood. Will never forget that weird cable stack he kept in his truck cab to just do arm exercises all day while trucking. It has been on my vision board for over 25 years

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Finally saw Waterworld last night (girlfriend suggested it, she had the VHS in her home growing up and it was a foundational text for her, along with The Ten Commandments and North). I get that spending $200 million on what's basically an unlicensed Mad Max movie seemed crazy at the time and still pretty crazy now, but it's a pretty fun movie!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I thought the one where dr. beverly crusher is seduced by an irish ghost was the sexiest one?

or wait was it the one where t'pol and tripp slather ointment onto each other's sexy bodies in decon, maybe it was that one

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Finally saw Waterworld last night (girlfriend suggested it, she had the VHS in her home growing up and it was a foundational text for her, along with The Ten Commandments and North). I get that spending $200 million on what's basically an unlicensed Mad Max movie seemed crazy at the time and still pretty crazy now, but it's a pretty fun movie!

North? She likes North?

One of Ebert's most famous quotes is about North.

Roger Ebert posted:

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

General Dog posted:

It’s a great movie. I never understood the incredible hate it got. Still my favorite apocalyptic setting

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

North? She likes North?

One of Ebert's most famous quotes is about North.

Yeah the Ebert thing is the only knowledge I had of North. She's not really a movie buff and was unaware of its reputation. I think as a kid she just liked the premise of the kid getting the opportunity to replace his parents, because she didn't (doesn't) get along with her parents.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Silly Burrito posted:

It's actually this one.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Wish people would keep up on this year round, cuz I’m sick of having to wad up a handful of TP to brush two inch long pubes off the only open toilet seat at work whenever I gotta do the morning doo, it’s disgusting :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you can't take the heat, stay out of Miami. Have you been there in August? Your balls stick to your legs like crazy glue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's the only thing I remember from North.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey, that link I posted earlier has at least caught my provider’s attention, even if nothing has been resolved yet. The ISP that claimed fiber ran down the street (when it hasn’t) has conceded my claim was correct, and I saw a truck from their company on my street yesterday.

The cable company that I filed a speed complaint with the FCC just called me and wants to run tests on Thursday. I’ve already ran tests with different modems for the last year and had the local techs confirm that the node is oversubscribed, but sure, I’ll test again.

Maybe nothing will happen, but at least I have a shred of hope for better internet.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

Woof, tho I shouldn't be that harsh if she saw it as a child.

Speaking of foundational text movies, I am thinking of my Mt. Rushmore of top movies. I think I'm replacing The Ten Commandments with Everything Everywhere All At Once.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I mean foundational childhood movies, I doubt she's seen North anytime recently.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I mean we all have movies as a kid that we loved that we know not to revisit because they're probably terrible

Like I have fond memories of Short Circuit 2, but I know to leave well enough alone and not recommend anyone actually watch it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought Enemy Mine was amazing when I first saw it as a kid but I saw it again a few years ago and, ehhh. It's fine. Got a couple of good scenes. Bit heavy-handed. Cartoonishly evil bad guys. I wasn't a discerning film connoisseur as a child.

Also we don't have to rank everything. I think it's become an unhealthy obsession in our culture. It can be fun thinking about "what's my top ten" but apparently just the act of ranking things tends to make us like them less, as we intentionally look for flaws in things we otherwise like. Why do that to ourselves?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Realtalk- memes and all aside, "All Star" kicking at the beginning of Shrek when he throws open the outhouse door is one of the greatest needle drops of all time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

or wait was it the one where t'pol and tripp slather ointment onto each other's sexy bodies in decon, maybe it was that one

This is half of Enterprise, can you be more specific

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

General Dog posted:

Realtalk- memes and all aside, "All Star" kicking at the beginning of Shrek when he throws open the outhouse door is one of the greatest needle drops of all time.

Ben Pack from Giant Bomb saw Smashmouth at a county or state fair, and I will always remember him saying something along the lines of "no one at the Smashmouth concert is there ironically when they start playing All Star"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

I thought Enemy Mine was amazing when I first saw it as a kid but I saw it again a few years ago and, ehhh. It's fine. Got a couple of good scenes. Bit heavy-handed. Cartoonishly evil bad guys. I wasn't a discerning film connoisseur as a child.

Also we don't have to rank everything. I think it's become an unhealthy obsession in our culture. It can be fun thinking about "what's my top ten" but apparently just the act of ranking things tends to make us like them less, as we intentionally look for flaws in things we otherwise like. Why do that to ourselves?

One of my dad's go-to phrases when he really likes something is "it's probably in my top 5". He said it sooo much when I was growing up as an endorsement of movies I hadn't seen. At some point when I was in high school he said it and I asked how many movies he would estimate are in his top 5, and he laughed and said probably two dozen or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kalli posted:

Yeah I mean we all have movies as a kid that we loved that we know not to revisit because they're probably terrible

Like I have fond memories of Short Circuit 2, but I know to leave well enough alone and not recommend anyone actually watch it.

Los Locos kick your rear end. Los Locos kick your face. Los Locos kick your balls into out er spaaaaace!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Los Locos kick your rear end. Los Locos kick your face. Los Locos kick your balls into out er spaaaaace!

A good bit! Johnny 5 punking himself out and arming himself up to go after the... diamond? thieves or whatever that was at the end in revenge probably does not hold up. I remember a mohawk and what I think was a bandoleer of shotgun shells, but was probably not because he was in a radio shack or something.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I totally forgot about Enemy Mine until just this moment. I loved the poo poo out of that movie. No, I will not be revisiting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s a great movie. I never understood the incredible hate it got. Still my favorite apocalyptic setting

The more hours we work at the office, the more and more I identify with the old man floating on the boat in the hull of the oil tanker.

https://youtu.be/ce-LjCpserA