Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1625534046238396416?s=20

I don't agree with Kennedy's politics at all but he tends to not seem as grossly partisan behind the scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I find the 2017 comment very strange. And... that they didn't actually tell the senate anything.

"We can't find the remnants"
"This is not a recent phenomenon"
"This has been going on a long time"
"Now that this cow is outta the barn, the president and the director of national intelligence need to address it"

OK, so Black Pit is real and has been keeping it on the downlow for 6 years now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1625534046238396416?s=20

I don't agree with Kennedy's politics at all but he tends to not seem as grossly partisan behind the scenes

Yeah, he's a performance artist. Makes his politics even worse, I think.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Trudeau sits at a vanity in a dark room, quietly applying green makeup to his face.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It sounds like they got the UAP report style talk. Like a high level assessment that "this poo poo has been going on for a while, we have no idea what the gently caress it is or how it works"

Kennedy sincerely sounds a bit scared

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somewhere in the cia disinformation office

What the gently caress is this Steve? I walk into my office and the first thing I see is more balloon headlines. You think people are gonna buy this crap again?

I'm telling you it's worked before and it'll work again, I've been here forty years, don't tell me how to do my job Dave!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1625532850136051712?s=20

Blumenthal sounds... also a bit uncomfortable.
And as I recall he has a history in this topic

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

that TR3B leave a neighbor feelin like a schizo

https://i.imgur.com/cTxQ45W.mp4

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
"They aren't aliens"
"We don't know what they are"

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

isaboo posted:

"They aren't aliens"
"We don't know what they are"

lol

Graham is a genuine piece of poo poo who deserves to be disregarded outright.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the cows out of the barn is a weird way of saying the balloons out of the bay

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is all so loving weird, I'm loving this.

I'm back on team "deliberate dissemination" I just don't know of what the gently caress

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
They're all just saying whatever they think is going to get them a good soundbite without making any statements that will get disproven tomorrow if Biden decides to hold a press conference.

But also there are no good looks for the US government here, no matter what the objects are.

"We're wasting millions of dollars to shoot down trash that has never before posed a threat to commercial flights."
"We have literally no idea what they are and we're shooting them anyway."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that pose a national security threat and we let them fly over the whole country."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that pose no threat and we're spending millions of dollars to blow them up anyway."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that we've known about for years and we're blowing them up now for political reasons."
"They're aliens and we're blowing them up."

It's easy to imagine that the reason for the radio silence is that the answer is really, really embarrassing and will create a huge scandal.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

This is all so loving weird, I'm loving this.

I'm back on team "deliberate dissemination" I just don't know of what the gently caress

Each day I wake up expecting there to be some perfect prosaic explanation found and each day it's just getting weirder. Things are exciting for the first time in a long time.

Also lmao, "recovery and exploitation". Of a balloon.

Ok.

https://twitter.com/tinyklaus/status/1625520905865551873

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

They're all just saying whatever they think is going to get them a good soundbite without making any statements that will get disproven tomorrow if Biden decides to hold a press conference.

But also there are no good looks for the US government here, no matter what the objects are.

"We're wasting millions of dollars to shoot down trash that has never before posed a threat to commercial flights."
"We have literally no idea what they are and we're shooting them anyway."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that pose a national security threat and we let them fly over the whole country."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that pose no threat and we're spending millions of dollars to blow them up anyway."
"They're balloons/drones from another country that we've known about for years and we're blowing them up now for political reasons."
"They're aliens and we're blowing them up."

It's easy to imagine that the reason for the radio silence is that the answer is really, really embarrassing and will create a huge scandal.

The easiest answer in the world to make this go away would be to say "it was debris in civilian flight paths that posed an imminent threat"
boom, it's gone

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The easiest answer in the world to make this go away would be to say "it was debris in civilian flight paths that posed an imminent threat"
boom, it's gone

That's really not a thing, though, and it immediately raises the question of why there's suddenly debris floating around at 20k feet that's never once before mattered in the history of civil aviation.

Launching fighter jets to shoot missiles at things over the US is a really big deal. There's no mundane explanation that doesn't end up with "the air force hosed up really bad."

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/LAW_o_1/status/1625531179716968449

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Objurium posted:

Each day I wake up expecting there to be some perfect prosaic explanation found and each day it's just getting weirder. Things are exciting for the first time in a long time.

Ok.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

That's really not a thing, though, and it immediately raises the question of why there's suddenly debris floating around at 20k feet that's never once before mattered in the history of civil aviation.

Launching fighter jets to shoot missiles at things over the US is a really big deal. There's no mundane explanation that doesn't end up with "the air force hosed up really bad."

two air forces, multiple times

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

two air forces, multiple times

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The government know how to lie to get through this. Worst case you end up with a couple of hearings that get forgotten by the next scandal. If they wanted to bury this, they could - that's the point I'm trying to make. Redirect the attention. Give it a stupid answer and just let it be a stupid thing that happened.

I don't think there's a way to read this response that doesn't seem like they're trying to keep it in the news cycle. People love a mystery. Be as vague as possible, leak new details every day. Involve foreign allies in your conspiracy for some reason?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

time travelers would not technically be aliens

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The government know how to lie to get through this. Worst case you end up with a couple of hearings that get forgotten by the next scandal. If they wanted to bury this, they could - that's the point I'm trying to make. Redirect the attention. Give it a stupid answer and just let it be a stupid thing that happened.

I don't think there's a way to read this response that doesn't seem like they're trying to keep it in the news cycle. People love a mystery. Be as vague as possible, leak new details every day. Involve foreign allies in your conspiracy for some reason?

imo it's way too early to say they're not trying to bury it

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason for the vague messaging right now is because they think there might be more of them and that more shoot-downs might show up in the news. It's hard to control messaging with a developing situation, so it's better to keep quiet until you're sure reality won't contradict your narrative.

But I also don't think this is an easy thing to bury. Shooting things down over North America is really a very, very big deal and the fact that there's not even more of a media frenzy actually makes me think that the messaging strategy here is to keep things relatively low key and quiet.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Alien Alloys baby. put me in the mech

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

don’t research lasers, that’s just a trap option

anyone got a hookup on some alien entertainment I can snag? pm me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

imo it's way too early to say they're not trying to bury it

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason for the vague messaging right now is because they think there might be more of them and that more shoot-downs might show up in the news. It's hard to control messaging with a developing situation, so it's better to keep quiet until you're sure reality won't contradict your narrative.

But I also don't think this is an easy thing to bury. Shooting things down over North America is really a very, very big deal and the fact that there's not even more of a media frenzy actually makes me think that the messaging strategy here is to keep things relatively low key and quiet.

These are some contradicting assumptions though. Either they really had to be shot down and future ones will too, or they didn't.
If they didn't, if it's no biggie, you just say "they flew over sensitive installations and we thought they may have surveillance technology blah blah abundance of caution blah" and "we're working on our monitoring and new response methodologies that won't require as aggressive of an action"

If they do have to be shot down, well... say the same thing and then say you can't say more until you identify the foreign actor responsible.

Absolutely never say you don't know who made it, or what it is, or where the debris is, and also hahaha it's not aliens y'all
and also this has been going on for years now, no questions please
and no the president doesn't want to talk about it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Objurium posted:

Ok.

yes "exploitation" of balloons is a normal way of phrasing stuff

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I've always enjoyed this because if future humans jumped back in time they'd be in a different spot in space and need a spaceship to come to earth now

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

These are some contradicting assumptions though. Either they really had to be shot down and future ones will too, or they didn't.
If they didn't, if it's no biggie, you just say "they flew over sensitive installations and we thought they may have surveillance technology blah blah abundance of caution blah" and "we're working on our monitoring and new response methodologies that won't require as aggressive of an action"

If they do have to be shot down, well... say the same thing and then say you can't say more until you identify the foreign actor responsible.

Absolutely never say you don't know who made it, or what it is, or where the debris is, and also hahaha it's not aliens y'all
and also this has been going on for years now, no questions please
and no the president doesn't want to talk about it

It's not contradictory if they actually don't know

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Like if it was nothing, you would not have Kennedy coming out of a briefing saying "we don't know, and we haven't for years now"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not if they were using spiritual coordinates

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
what if Gravity holds as a force over time so it keeps you stuck to the planet while you time travel, hmm? what then??

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Neither are moon Nazis and inner earth Agarthans

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I thought they shot down a car sized object over ice in Alaska. you can’t tell me that they can’t find anything if they actually shot it down.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

Atlanteans or fish people who developed parallel to us are also not aliens.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Neither are moon Nazis and inner earth Agarthans

dont forget dagons dolphonaughts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
classic CYA operation if ive ever seen one and all they have to do is tell senators ITS THE SBEAKY CHINESE and theyll buy whatever after that

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

Alien Alloys baby. put me in the mech

oh my god I want a GDI Titan so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nichael posted:

Atlanteans or fish people who developed parallel to us are also not aliens.

hmm

someone should ask Kirby what definition of alien is he is using