Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sensenmann posted:

None of them are worth it. Blocker, Ricochet, Serendipity and Dodgy are the best defensive perks and whatever Barbarian, Evasive or Iron Clad offer is absolutely not worth it compared to those. I mean, Iron Clad is the best example. It's 5 perk points. Fire Proof and Cola Nut or Rejuvenated are also 5 points. The latter is a good idea. The former is not. :)

yeah any of the perks that give you a flat amount of armor are pure doodoo, in the late game they have no impact at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think maybe the most interesting thing to come of this is that Ricochet has utility as a defensive perk. Honestly, the way I read it, I assumed you still took full damage and just gave some back to the enemy. Does it actually cancel some/all damage when it goes off?

e: Also, I'm kinda glad that the damage mitigation perks aren't important when I think about it, especially since they don't work with PA and I need to use that in high radiation. Should make it easier to generalize some builds.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 7, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pretty sure successful ricochet = zero damage
e: one caveat about perks that give specific armor values, people like Funky Duds but I never felt like poison damage bothered me even in daily ops, probably because I don't do low life builds and it wasn't as threatening to have little or no poison resist

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

pretty sure successful ricochet = zero damage
e: one caveat about perks that give specific armor values, people like Funky Duds but I never felt like poison damage bothered me even in daily ops, probably because I don't do low life builds and it wasn't as threatening to have little or no poison resist

Poison is one I forgot. I use union PA so I'm pretty okay in that, but trogs and mirelurk queens straight up murder me sometimes when I'm going without PA. The queens especially get surprising bursts of damage.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I think maybe the most interesting thing to come of this is that Ricochet has utility as a defensive perk. Honestly, the way I read it, I assumed you still took full damage and just gave some back to the enemy. Does it actually cancel some/all damage when it goes off?

No, you take the full amount of damage the shot deals. (If you think you didn't take damage when you see it proc it's because of server lag, Serendipity or Dodgy.)

What makes this perk so amazing is that when it procs, it procs ON HIT effects YOU use.

Pretty much all ON HIT weapon modifiers (Anti Armor, Bloodied, Junkies, Instigating, and so on) plus a couple of Perks, namely Serendipity, Suppressor, Tenderizer and, I think, Taking One for the Team can all proc when the damage gets reflected.

So if you have an AA weapon in hand and all the above perks equipped, the damage that gets reflected back to the enemy will cut through their armor (Anti Armor weapon), hit harder (Tenderizer), reduce their damage output (Suppressor), make them take more damage from your next hits (Taking One for the Team) and, sadly, give them a chance to avoid some damage on their own (Serendipity).

Additionally, if you are in Strangler Heart PA, the poison effect of the armor can also be part of the reflected damage.

Melee and Unarmed damage might trigger the perk but actually does nothing.

Overall, it's a really, really great perk and well worth the 3 points investment. :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sensenmann posted:

No, you take the full amount of damage the shot deals.

durp

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
here's a semi-controlled test video of Ricochet in action. The enemy shoots slowly and and I'm taking very consistent and obvious amounts of damage, registering instantly so there's no significant latency. Ricochet triggers three times and I receive zero damage each time.

I still have 78 DR and some other damage reduction perks, but nothing that fully negates damage. Ricochet seems to work just like pretty much everyone says it does -- it negates the projectile hit. However, I think shotguns or energy splitters may work differently since all pellets count as projectiles, so you can deflect one of them and still take damage from the rest. Other types of damage and projectiles may work differently too, and I'm not sure if it prevents any of the enemy's on-hit effects either, like daily ops cold slowing. But still, 3 points for 18% average damage negation is pretty good... although some people hate the sound it makes.

Reflecting your on-hit effects is nice but I don't think it'd be worth three points just for that, unless maybe you had a Vampire weapon equipped or just had nothing else to put the points in. Maybe if Suppressor worked properly, but as of now it (sometimes?) negates Tenderizer and/or Follow Through, so you're messing up your or potentially other peoples' damage output by using the Suppressor perk. I just tested this too specifically with sneak attacks and Follow Through, but it may work differently depending on whether or not sneak attacks and Follow Through is present.

https://i.imgur.com/rYKw5f1.mp4

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
This is interesting because Ricochet did not work like this in the early days. They probably changed something with a patch and didn't bother updating the "official" info, who even knows anymore. :)

Speaking of who knows anymore, I really need to check if Serendipity still triggers the wrong visual cue like half the time or if that bug jumped to another perk.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

This is interesting because Ricochet did not work like this in the early days. They probably changed something with a patch and didn't bother updating the "official" info, who even knows anymore. :)

Speaking of who knows anymore, I really need to check if Serendipity still triggers the wrong visual cue like half the time or if that bug jumped to another perk.

When I was getting absolutely blasted by turrets it was throwing the serendipity animation up, but I didn't notice other visuals. The whole overlay seems pretty goofy though, I think it gets misaligned from the actual events. Like I have completed missions and had it pop up the last legendary I picked up.

I haven't had the issue where it just stops updating the text in the corner recently, now that I think about it. I used to wonder what people were buying from my vendors because it was constantly making GBS threads the bed a month or two ago.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

One thing I forgot to ask about daily ops: Do they scale in difficulty in any way with additional players? It seems weird that you could get bonuses in uplink for having multiple people nearby without something to trade, presumably twice as many enemies. I didn't notice much of a difference in the Pitt run I did with a friend, but I'm not sure if it would be the same in the ops.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got Gunther's duster plan in my third try at Most Wanted. I thought it was supposed to be rare? I'm not complaining, though. Well, maybe about whoever decided to nuke the place the first time...

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

One thing I forgot to ask about daily ops: Do they scale in difficulty in any way with additional players? It seems weird that you could get bonuses in uplink for having multiple people nearby without something to trade, presumably twice as many enemies. I didn't notice much of a difference in the Pitt run I did with a friend, but I'm not sure if it would be the same in the ops.

They both scale, in a way.

Technically, the engine "knows" how loud or how many you are and will send more enemies your way. However, the engine can only handle a certain amount of enemies at any given time. If you kill the enemies fast, more spawn in. If you allow them to live, no additional mobs will spawn. For Uplink, it doesn't matter but for Decryption it really helps to go loud or with a full team, that's why most Decryption DOs are usually done in under 3 minutes.

The same applies for the Pitt but the first batch of enemies is spawned in with you, always at the exact same spot. Everything after that depends on how fast and how many you kill, the amount of people you bring in only dictates how fast the engine reacts to all that. So if you go solo, it will take longer for the engine to spawn more or additional mobs.

All of this means that you can, in theory, cheese every event that doesn't require you to kill stuff.

Uplink only requires that you kill the final group and the boss, the two stages before that where you defend the signal boosters only requires that you not leave the area until the bar is full.

Leave them alive, if you can tank, and the final group will literally be the horde that tried to kill you for the first two parts of the DO.

The most famous example of this cheese it game is Rad Rumble. If you happen to be the only one there, swich to a Shotgun and kneecap the ghouls. Once all are down on the ground, no more enemies will come because there is no empty spot to fill and you can grab the ore in peace, wait for the timer to get close to 0 and deposit it for an easy win.

And finally, there will be noticable fewer enemies on older servers, especially if the server had already had to handle several nukes. If you run a silo and notice dead or exploding turrets, that's an old server.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I really wish plans gave at least a wireframe preview of the item. I saw a Union hat and uniform plan I didn't know and though "Oh, I have this collection of Union armor paints, maybe I should pick these up too."

I forgot about the civil war outfits.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I really wish plans gave at least a wireframe preview of the item. I saw a Union hat and uniform plan I didn't know and though "Oh, I have this collection of Union armor paints, maybe I should pick these up too."

I forgot about the civil war outfits.

People have been asking for this for years and it will never happen. Beth is too lazy to code a mini preview for the hundreds of plans this game has. Understandable, really.

Anyways, while it's not a preview, if it's not being sold by Mortimer, Samuel, Reggs, Guiseppe or Minerva its plans from before Wastelanders was released.

If it's being sold by human players, it's none of the Gold or Stamp plans, those can only be sold by the ones mentioned above.

If in doubt, check this:

https://fed76.info/plans/

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Far Harbor is such a fantastic expansion and I would like FO5 set in the extra spooky forests with the constant radioactive mists and the rambling guys who can one shot you with a harpoon gun. Fix the 45 loading screens on the submarine and it's basically perfect.

Also on my current FO4 playthrough the BoS blimp never actually loaded in except for two floating doors.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I was not execting the Prydwen to show up there, so I was trying fast travel because one of settlements went under attack half-way though the building and I thought my game completelty broke until the loudspeaker turned on.

It's been long enough I forgot the actual scenes, even though I remember the storybeats.

Though speaking of settlement attacks, I think Sim Settlements 2 did something werid to the scripts. It's always the Gunners, it's spawning over 15 attackers, and happens roughly ever other in game day. It also undiscovers the settlement location, so I have to run to the settlement from somewhere closeby.

Like, I enjoy getting over a thousand caps per attack, but it's getting really annoying. Increasing the defence of most common offenders isn't an option either as they are level 0 city plans which uses all of the settlement budget with very little to show for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that is a huge downside for Sim Settlements for me, the city plans are insanely bloated with trash and max out the budget with unremovable clutter and crash-prone insane things like the giant cylinder made of 1x1 pallets in Starlight. I love the whole gimmick of how plots work and how they evolve and get visually and mechanically more interesting as they level but the city plans are something I never want to engage with any more.

e: I miss Conqueror quite a bit tbh, I hope that gets updated someday fairly soon before I die

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
My computer pretty much died looking at country crossing in sim settlements. I don't know if it was level 2 or level 3 but they basically built a giant gently caress off skyscraper there. It's a little ridiculous.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like the quest parts of SS2 but hate all the settlement parts. Nothing can convince me it's ever worth doing settlement building in Fallout 4. The entire thing is a chore even if it's automated.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I like the quest parts of SS2 but hate all the settlement parts. Nothing can convince me it's ever worth doing settlement building in Fallout 4. The entire thing is a chore even if it's automated.

Artillery strikes, and luring foes into massive turret fire :shrug:

Also actually rebuilding America lol.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Artillery strikes, and luring foes into massive turret fire :shrug:

Also actually rebuilding America lol.

Much rather just use Archimedes II. Just hate playing on survival and being told some settlement on the opposite end of the map is being attacked drop your entire life and spend 10 minutes real time getting there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, Survival is pretty much incompatible with settlements. I choose one of the other at the start of each playthrough, and I almost always choose to play Survival.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

acidx posted:

My computer pretty much died looking at country crossing in sim settlements. I don't know if it was level 2 or level 3 but they basically built a giant gently caress off skyscraper there. It's a little ridiculous.

this isn't just you, something bad happens at that location very often for me with Sim Settlements and it's not related to city plans (I don't use them).

cheesetriangles posted:

having high end junk and ammo and weapon shops in easily accessible locations and playing pretty princess dressup with your settlers is neat :kiddo:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just sell purified water for all the ammo or junk I could ever want with none of the hassle.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not much for settlement building, which is why I turned on a few city plans, but I have been deeply enjoying playing Lego with Vault 88. I'm pretty close to object limit, and I didn't do anything outside of the main section besides posting guards at the vault entrance. Maybe I'll play around with the Castle next?

Also, due to adding a mod that makes you able to customize the clothes in game, Myrna is naked and I haven't figured out a way to get her clothed again. Unfortunately, reverse pick-pocking just gets everyone really mad at me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you can increase the build limit pretty easily, if that's what you mean, it's really just advisory tbh

Twincityhacker posted:

Also, due to adding a mod that makes you able to customize the clothes in game, Myrna is naked and I haven't figured out a way to get her clothed again. Unfortunately, reverse pick-pocking just gets everyone really mad at me.

console -> click her (it will show her object ID reference) -> "openactorcontainer 1" -> put things in her inventory

from there I *think* you can hit T to make her equip things, but apparently you can also do it from another console command

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3xoq4p/is_there_a_console_command_to_equip_a_certain/

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 14, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It was weridly hard for to get Myra's form ID - I clicked on several other NPCs in the area, and openactorcontainer 1 worked fine, but I had to stand in the exact right spot to get hers.

But! Myra is now stylish in a set of t-shirt and jeans, so it eventually worked out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:thumbsup:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Trying to get the Responders Vendorbot to spawn so I can pick up that drat coat almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter.

Edit:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 16, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Triple scrip weekend in F76 apparently :shrug:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Settlements sync up better with survival than they do with non-survival imo. One thing that helps is if you use that global stash box mod. You can throw unique weapons in the stash box and then have access to them at any settlement. I also fill that up with food and water as well. Then you can put a clean bed and a radiation arch, and some stores if you want to be able to sell off loot, and they make nice resting stations when you are ready to save the game.

That's more functionality than you get if you aren't playing survival, where they are basically just places where you could build water purifiers for money and otherwise can be completely ignored.

It still suffers from the same problem of the main game though, where you have to spend 20+ hours building settlements to get a handful of them to look half decent. Or if you're like me and don't have Minecraft brain, you just end up throwing a few sleeping bags on top of piles of rubble and call it a day. It's nice to have barebones settlements because you can just ignore settlement attacks since there's not any real consequences. But then they look stupid. Just a very unsatisfying mechanic and I wish Bethesda hadn't spent so much time on it.

acidx fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 18, 2023

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Triple scrip weekend in F76 apparently :shrug:

The timing on this is amazing because it looks like the Nuka World events have stopped triggering as regularly. I went from dumping hundreds of scrip worth of legendaries in the red box to not picking up enough to clear the normal 300. An Eviction Notice or Rad Rumble would go a long way, but I haven't seen either kick off lately.

Not that it matters for me, I'm currently near max scrip and already carrying like 20lbs of modules...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

having gobs of scrip never felt like a big deal to me, the throttle on how much you can get rid of per day is the problem :shrug:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It definitely increases the amount you can churn from gambling, but it feels like targeted crafting is the only way you can really get what you want. I have yet to produce a heavy gun on par with Final Word, so I'm kinda meh on the whole process at the moment.

If I ever collect the plans for some better armor, I will be able to make it all three-star legendary, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the throttles on everything is what turns it from a game into a job.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

acidx posted:

It still suffers from the same problem of the main game though, where you have to spend 20+ hours building settlements to get a handful of them to look half decent. Or if you're like me and don't have Minecraft brain, you just end up throwing a few sleeping bags on top of piles of rubble and call it a day. It's nice to have barebones settlements because you can just ignore settlement attacks since there's not any real consequences. But then they look stupid. Just a very unsatisfying mechanic and I wish Bethesda hadn't spent so much time on it.

I dismantle all extranesous walls, fences, trees, etc. so that raiders can't take cover if I'm around during an attack.

e: In 76, I found a really nice player camp vendor yesterday with plenty of gear I could've used to buy for reasonable prices, and the player logged out before I could spend any caps :(

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I dismantle all extranesous walls, fences, trees, etc. so that raiders can't take cover if I'm around during an attack.

e: In 76, I found a really nice player camp vendor yesterday with plenty of gear I could've used to buy for reasonable prices, and the player logged out before I could spend any caps :(

I once bought a 10k item from a vendor and had the owner immediately log off as I was about to pull the trigger on another. Pretty sure he maxed out on caps. But yeah, it's a bummer when something you want disappears before your eyes.

Question for the thread. How rare is the buffoon mask? It was the first one I got from Fasnacht and I saw something on Reddit claiming it was worth 40k+ caps. Most people were suggesting trading for something rather than selling. Is this true, or is that value going down as Fasnacht continues and more of these turn up? I swear when I got one someone else in the group got one as well, we both put it on after the event.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The one you get as a reward is pretty rare. There is a smiling variant that was purchasable a while back. Like with most rare things in this game, it's worth more than just caps. It's definitely something you trade another item for. There's lots of collectors of fasnacht masks, so make sure you are getting what you really want!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Which ones should I be holding onto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Which ones should I be holding onto?

From the top of my head:

Fiend
Baffoon
Loon
Hag
Brahmin
Deathclaw
Raven
Demon
Crazy Guy

All others are gifts for low levels or sold to vendor bots for not a lot.