Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

sellouts posted:

please god someone tell me their pro shop puts a sticker on the bottom of the boot under the blade holder to remind them to sharpen at a certain date

Not a date but the place I get them puts a sticker for my preferred cut.

I get a sharpen like twice a year, at most. I play 60-80 games a year. It's just never convenient for me because most of my games start after the rink pro shops close, if they even offer sharpening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ya the sticker for the cut is a legit good idea

Xzzy where’s the Thursday morning pickups??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't fuckin know, deciphering rink schedules needs a spreadsheet and I ain't going there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gonna sharpie the tags on my gloves to have all the essential info for lace, profile, and hollow on me at all times

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh yeah was looking at sticks and the op mentioned sherwood 5030s. Glad to know the classic wooden ones I remember still exist, since I'm not touching the $200+ until I'm much much better, if ever.

However, I see that there's a couple sticks around the same price point as the 5030 - the PMP 7000, T20 ABS, and the RXW-1. Are these about comparable? I see there's some sticks have different heads more meant for street hockey. Can I also practice using street hockey sticks for the ice too? I will likely get some rollerblades for the summer since most of the rinks around me are only around for winter.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

However, I see that there's a couple sticks around the same price point as the 5030 - the PMP 7000, T20 ABS, and the RXW-1. Are these about comparable? I see there's some sticks have different heads more meant for street hockey. Can I also practice using street hockey sticks for the ice too? I will likely get some rollerblades for the summer since most of the rinks around me are only around for winter.
The 5030, 7000 and the RWX-1 will be comparable as they're wood sticks with wood blades. The T20 ABS is a wood stick with an ABS blade, so it's designed to wear a little better outside on concrete. You might be able to use an ABS stick for stickhandling practice on the ice, but trying to shoot or pass an ice puck is going to be a tough ask. It'd be a better idea to get one for each surface, or better yet, start with the wood stick then upgrade your ice stick to a composite in the summer when you feel more comfortable with where you're at. There are a ton of options well below $200, and summer's usually when retailers will run end-of-season sales, too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Tron Hockey also has some inexpensive sticks that aren't too bad. When I started out again, that's what I started using.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought street pucks and ice pucks were around the same?

I saw these things:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0905/5370/products/biscuit-pro2.jpeg?v=1435286118

Are they weighted differently? I know the balls would be different but thought these were supposed to mimic ice pucks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green biscuits are a decent training product but nothing replaces how a puck feels on ice.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Are they weighted differently? I know the balls would be different but thought these were supposed to mimic ice pucks
Green Biscuits weigh around 4 ounces and change, inline pucks weigh between 3.5-4, and an ice puck comes in around six. You wouldn't think it'd make much of a difference, but the feel between them is worlds apart.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I see. I think I was confused by this comment:

quote:

You might be able to use an ABS stick for stickhandling practice on the ice, but trying to shoot or pass an ice puck is going to be a tough ask.

So I thought it was because the weight might be different between the green puck and ice puck. Or is this the difference between ball and puck?

edit: ^ Got it, that's it, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not just weight but the friction. They make the green biscuit lighter because you're intended to use it on asphalt, so the ground friction+lighter weight tries to get it as close as possible to ice feel. They did a reasonable job but you can't fight physics.. a 6oz puck on ice feels like nothing else out there.

They do the same with stickhandling balls, great tool for screwing around in your living room because it does work out your forearms but it doesn't make you a hockey player, it just makes your ice time more effective because you can focus on drills instead of basic puck handling.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Does anyone have a Super Deker? Seems like it would be a really fun toy to play with off ice, but it's also super expensive.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Does anyone have a Super Deker? Seems like it would be a really fun toy to play with off ice, but it's also super expensive.

Probably fun if you like having the computer feedback arcade game feel, but most of us with kids just have the basic white panels. And those are much cheaper, though you'll go through a lot more stick tape if you don't have an old stick for them to use.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
RE: sticks I've been pretty happy with everything I've gotten from all-black: https://allblackhockeysticks.com/store/

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah my team is slowly being converted to everyone using ABHS though it’s probably still too spendy for a beginner stick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get composite sticks under $100 easy. They'll be on clearance so selection will suck so you won't get your favorite curve or flex, but it'll be cheap. And maybe you'll find a new curve you like.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I got two pro blackouts for $130 total from hockeystickman.com. Doesn’t seem to have that deal up anymore, but $65 for a pretty decent twig is a steal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I get refurbished pro stock sticks at hockeystickman.com. They're way lighter than anything else you can buy new for the price.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My sister bought one for her daughters and they played with it a lot for a while. Then my middle neice put up a score that no one has been able to touch, including her, and they kind of lost interest. I still play it when I visit even though I have to use a stick that's 12" too short.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I went to pure hockey to get a foot scan and see if they could do anything to help fit my skates any better, or worse case get new skates that fit. It's definitely not a good sign when the dude looking at the results says "wow, that's strange" and calls over a more experienced person to make sure he's reading it right. Apparently my arches and forefoot volume are so high i maxed out the scanner?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, both of my teams made the championships next week. Both are like 0.500 teams that knocked off the top teams somehow to make it. Feels good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xsf421 posted:

I went to pure hockey to get a foot scan and see if they could do anything to help fit my skates any better, or worse case get new skates that fit. It's definitely not a good sign when the dude looking at the results says "wow, that's strange" and calls over a more experienced person to make sure he's reading it right. Apparently my arches and forefoot volume are so high i maxed out the scanner?

I hope you got to leave without needing to get $1300 skates custom made at least. It is always cool to make machines go wtf.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

xsf421 posted:

That was my experience at well. Maxed out volume and all. Those people said I’d need a custom, another store got me to try and I could reasonably fit vapors so at least no custom.

I think true catalysts will be what I get at some point but the vapors do well enough right now. I do notice they’re a bit long

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd consider full custom if there was a guarantee the seam between the toe cap and the boot didn't dig into my big toe.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Jhet posted:

I hope you got to leave without needing to get $1300 skates custom made at least. It is always cool to make machines go wtf.

They actually chopped up some high arch insoles to help as best they could and sent me on my way. I was expecting them to tell me the $1000+ custom skates were my only option, but they were surprisingly helpfujl.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Superfeet makes a high arch insert that may work for you. I think it's the carbon hockey insert. Unless that's the insoles they gave you.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

calandryll posted:

Superfeet makes a high arch insert that may work for you. I think it's the carbon hockey insert. Unless that's the insoles they gave you.

Yeah, that's what they put me in. I think if these don't work, my only real option is going for custom insoles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

xzzy posted:

I'd consider full custom if there was a guarantee the seam between the toe cap and the boot didn't dig into my big toe.

I thought I was the only one. It's only on my right foot and I thought it was from my sock's seam at first but I have a callus there now which should help.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have a set of the Powerfoot inserts, basically foam on the top of the toe box, which might help with that feeling.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

A guy who I know is a good skater lost an edge while turning and face-planted. Got a big bloody gash on his eyebrow. I see way more blood on the ice in public skate sessions than I do in games.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A guy who I know is a good skater lost an edge while turning and face-planted. Got a big bloody gash on his eyebrow. I see way more blood on the ice in public skate sessions than I do in games.

I'm a firm believer there needs to be helmet requirements at public skate. Or at least a requirement for anyone who's renting skates. Right there with you on injury/cuts being more of an issue there. I've not seen more concussion symptoms anywhere than public skate. Almost like ice is hard.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife and I were visiting her sister in park city the other day and we went to some outdoor rink to get the nephew out ice skating.

I saw one kid around 12 slam his head backwards against the ice so hard. I helped him off the ice and sat down with his parents, told them what to look for in terms of a concussion, which he definitely had.

As we were leaving we saw another kid slam hard and hit her head as well.

I agree 100%. Helmets should be required for public skate. Hockey gloves wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kids should 100% wear both.

I'll never forget the time I was in millennium Park in Chicago. This couple was ice skating, the woman fell and someone nearby skated over her hand and cut her fingers real bad. I was right behind them. Her scream was blood curdling and there was so much blood.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think it's silly to REQUIRE them, but they're a good idea if you're learning to skate. I think learning how to fall properly is key too. Some of the best advice I got is to bend my knees/lean/shift my weight forward so if I fall I can catch myself on my hands instead of falling backwards and hurting my back/noggin.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Colorado pond hockey tournament, for all of its flaws, continues to be the best outdoor tournament by a mile.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

I'll never forget the time I was in millennium Park in Chicago. This couple was ice skating, the woman fell and someone nearby skated over her hand and cut her fingers real bad. I was right behind them. Her scream was blood curdling and there was so much blood.

Without fail in my 10U practices I have to bark at some kids who are taking their gloves off and sitting on the ice playing with snow. They're down to one warning before I send them off the ice completely at this point of the season. Even so, I had to patch some kid up who fell and pinched his finger between stick and ice and cut open the finger tip pretty badly. Thankfully that was the week I restocked my rink side first aid kit. My stomach dropped so quickly getting him over to the bench to stop the bleeding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I think it's silly to REQUIRE them, but they're a good idea if you're learning to skate. I think learning how to fall properly is key too. Some of the best advice I got is to bend my knees/lean/shift my weight forward so if I fall I can catch myself on my hands instead of falling backwards and hurting my back/noggin.

Any USA hockey event requires helmets for everyone on the ice, game or otherwise. Public skate should be the same but rinks can toss up a "ice skating is DANGEROUS" sign and wash their hands of it so why bother.

It's super important for bad skaters because they're horrible about leaning back and having their feet slip out from under them. Since anyone can show up and rent skates with no instruction it's surprising there aren't more concussions.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

xzzy posted:

Any USA hockey event requires helmets for everyone on the ice, game or otherwise. Public skate should be the same but rinks can toss up a "ice skating is DANGEROUS" sign and wash their hands of it so why bother.

It's super important for bad skaters because they're horrible about leaning back and having their feet slip out from under them. Since anyone can show up and rent skates with no instruction it's surprising there aren't more concussions.

Well there's a difference between skating when there's a hockey game going on around you and a casual public skate. I think it's silly to REQUIRE helmets, if people don't wanna wear them they are only hurting themselves. but I guess that's just a personal opinion difference that I don't think is worth arguing over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like the one ice rink near-ish me that doesn't require helmets but lets you borrow them free as part of entry.

Every time someone hits the ice with a bad injury, it halts the rink. Last night for public skate, girl fell and an ambulance came. Better for everyone involved even for purely selfish reasons the fewer injuries imo. Like, if anyone falls the rink has to slow down anyway, but better that than getting people on the ice, potentially halting skate time as personnel have to enter the ice.

But it's an additional cost and seasonal rinks will have to store all that equipment somewhere, so yeah it's just the sign and waiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I like the one ice rink near-ish me that doesn't require helmets but lets you borrow them free as part of entry.

I feel like this is sort of a best case option. They have boxes of disinfectant spray for the skates already. Anytime I bring my kids friends along to public skates I tell them to bring helmets and then I stick an extra kid size helmet in the gear bag before we leave. A lot of kids already have bike helmets, and while those aren't perfect, they're so much better than nothing at all.