Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Salt Fish posted:

This is too charitable. Every single dollar "made" off crypto has directly come out of the pocket of a sucker but the goose actually makes something.
At least goose poo poo can be used as fertilizer. Shitcoins can’t even do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Apologies, can someone remind me how did the lightning network channels work again?
Not the network as a whole, I remember why it doesn't work*, just how a single channel to exchange butts between Mr Butt and Mr Chain quickly**, safely** and cheaply** works.

*You just have to solve the NP mapping problem in P time. Or simply recreate a centralised banking system
**my statist fiat plastic money is quicker safer and cheaper but :ssh:
my actual FIAT car is also quicker safer and cheaper

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Omobono posted:

Apologies, can someone remind me how did the lightning network channels work again?

lightning.core.v0.0.0.1.php posted:

//Todo: TODO

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lightning network is basically off-chain. You initiate an on-chain transaction where everyone in the group agrees to put in whatever amount of bitcoins they want. Then all the actual transactions within the group are handled away from the actual blockchain.. usually peer to peer agreements. Then when they're ready to end the it they settle back on the blockchain. There's basic mechanisms for ensuring people don't cheat/lie. But that's the gist. It's quick because you don't need the blockchain to verify the transaction, it's cheap because technically you're not paying any verifiers and it's supposedly relatively safe because there are penalties if you end up being the one they determine to be lying about a dispute.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
guy's trial is in october and he's doing his damnedest to get his bail revoked and thrown in pre-trial detention before then

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1625351155307139072

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So lately crypto circles have been big on... NFT's on the Bitcoin Blockchain. I don't know why but they're doing things like ripping off NFT's from other blockchains. Right click still wins.

https://twitter.com/LeonidasNFT/status/1623721396088995841 - example.

I don't understand the ordinals concept nor do I desire to, but it is where hype appears to currently be. It's too stupid for me to read through.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drk posted:

guy's trial is in october and he's doing his damnedest to get his bail revoked and thrown in pre-trial detention before then

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1625351155307139072

NordVPN about to get raided

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Strong Sauce posted:

There's basic mechanisms for ensuring people don't cheat/lie.

Thanks for the answer, I vaguely remembered all the rest but not how exactly this detail worked.
As a lot of things behind the math of Buttcoin, I do remember the implementation being both actually quite clever in a vacuum and absolutely dumb in practice because butters are reinventing the wheel except it's triangular.
Not even a nice equilateral triangle, an obtuse monstrosity with two angles under 14.

E:

That's the network, yes. A single channel "works", see my comment up here in this post about wheels.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So lately crypto circles have been big on... NFT's on the Bitcoin Blockchain. I don't know why but they're doing things like ripping off NFT's from other blockchains. Right click still wins.

I don't understand the ordinals concept nor do I desire to, but it is where hype appears to currently be. It's too stupid for me to read through.

What if you got rich for having an early ICQ number?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Omobono posted:

Thanks for the answer, I vaguely remembered all the rest but not how exactly this detail worked.
As a lot of things behind the math of Buttcoin, I do remember the implementation being both actually quite clever in a vacuum and absolutely dumb in practice because butters are reinventing the wheel except it's triangular.
Not even a nice equilateral triangle, an obtuse monstrosity with two angles under 14.
Cryptocurrency people do like to keep it under 14.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They helpfully explain in one tweet the only reason anyone would care and why they're pumping this poo poo

https://twitter.com/LeonidasNFT/status/1623721407933820928

It could be any garage, all that matters is that people are talking about it and creating the illusion of value and some greater fool will take it off your hands, betting there will be another, even greater fool to hold the bag

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
you have to use the CLI (GUI coming soon!)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Hey guys! I just gave some random guy $50k, lit a couple of wildfires, and he emailed me a couple of urls. The URLs link to tiny bad pictures? I don't understand them it so it's got to be art. And I can click that link to see it whenever I want!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Bitcoin: I slurped my inscriptions with ordinals

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Magissima posted:

They helpfully explain in one tweet the only reason anyone would care and why they're pumping this poo poo

It could be any garage, all that matters is that people are talking about it and creating the illusion of value and some greater fool will take it off your hands, betting there will be another, even greater fool to hold the bag

Yeah, since the ecosystem has largely become self-contained because normal people want nothing to do with it the only source for more fools is internal. It's become an ouroboros of fools.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

CannonFodder posted:

Cryptocurrency people do like to keep it under 14.

to be fair sometimes exactly fourteen

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Wagmi!!! holy poo poo wagmi :doit: :foksmash:
lets loving GO bitcoin
GONGO UP

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ahahahhahaha heeeees baaaaaaack

Post some bullshit graphs, GhostTitty

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Magissima posted:

:airquote: trustless marketplaces :airquote:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Boxturret posted:

I hammer on the CLI until she GUI

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

:dogstare:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Magissima posted:

"Historical NFT Collector" is a nice little euphemism for "terminal bagholder"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cantorsdust posted:

Mods do the needful

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Magissima posted:

This is true of any art or collectibles. Buying early and often is the way to get into the lottery. But it's also a lottery so you're probably not gonna get your money back. The only big business I can think of that is about turning aged rarity into money and doing it with predictable constant profit is wine.

Like if you wanted to argue capitalism is good socially including for art, investors should be filling warehouses with NFTs next to piss Jesus and a half dozen Kinkades.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Magissima posted:

"Historical NFT Collector" is a great user name that everyone would immediately put on their ignore lists.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

notwithoutmyanus posted:

"why I spent 70K dollars in 8 half assed sprites 1/199"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

zedprime posted:

The only big business I can think of that is about turning aged rarity into money and doing it with predictable constant profit is wine.

And, even then, margins can be thin and vineyards can be frustrating. But... if the grapes were all digital... hmmm

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zedprime posted:

The only big business I can think of that is about turning aged rarity into money and doing it with predictable constant profit is wine.
Cheese, maybe?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Kins posted:

Cheese, maybe?
Cheese and barrel aged liquor are predictably and quantitatively aged. You stick it in a cave on purpose and get it out and it's food stuff ready to eat. There are production losses but that just reinforces ageing is a production process.

Wine, art, and collectibles are all things that are logically at peak utility the day they are made. Time will only ruin them. That's the goal of collectors, let time ruin them so only theirs are left and become valuable for existing out of time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

45 EH = $69199.65 atm

8 grand each.

Some where a single pixel changes.

loving madness.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

happyhippy posted:

45 EH = $69199.65 atm

8 grand each.

Some where a single pixel changes.

loving madness.

Yeah thats what boggles me the most. I could buy a decent house here if I had 70K dollars in my bank account

Meanwhile these creepy idiots are spending that in stupid ugly jpgs (actually, links to stupid ugly jpgs)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah thats what boggles me the most. I could buy a decent house here if I had 70K dollars in my bank account

that's the thing, they don't. they have various digital assets that a website says are worth 70k, with diminishing reliable places to convert them to real money

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thought I'd check out how the Reddit BBBY people are doing.

Bad News: BBBY has lost 2/3rds of it's share price since it was 'Saved' by the deal last Monday.
Good News: It's still going to go straight to the Moon. HODL till it's $420 a share! We're all geting lambo's!!

My favourite quote from there.

quote:

Today is the 5th day since 1993 that BBBY has been under $2. If you’re looking to buy, there is no better time than right now.
:hmmyes:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Meanwhile these creepy idiots are spending that in stupid ugly jpgs (actually, links to stupid ugly jpgs)

no see what's unique about these is that bitcoin NFTs actually clog the blockchain with the image data

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

evilweasel posted:

no see what's unique about these is that bitcoin NFTs actually clog the blockchain with the image data

Ah, thats why they are extra lovely

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Mods, please?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Agents are GO! posted:

Mods, please change the thread title

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If a joke from the 80s gets into the thread title I'm going to be so disappointed.

Wait no scratch that, a joke from the 80s perfectly describes bitcoin.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/1625475673073635330
this is good for bitcoin

also the replies. lol. "everyone who gets one should fight it. they can't fight you all!" is a very easy thing to say when you're not in their sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The US Government: well known for its limited resources.

Reminds me of something that happened when I was young... a company had built a big hotel near a residential area in suburban Detroit. They promised the community they would only build the one. Then they decided to build a second next door. They thought they could get away with it because the people living nearby didn't have the resources to fight in court.

Except that one of the residents was good friends with Bill Ford... heir of the Ford family. He hired my dad's law firm (the biggest in Detroit) and gave them unlimited resources to sue on behalf of the neighborhood. The company ended up paying a huge settlement.