Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Im a $10 member and I've finishing up my second listen of all of the main feed episodes. I may have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The only thing I freely skip are WLMs. They can be good, but more often than not it doesn't lead to the same funny discussions. Once in a Lifetime is my favorite of the bunch, I've re-listened to those a few times. Can't get enough of the Walshes or Billy Campbell either.

Funny enough, the thing that got me to subscribe in the first place were them adding We HATE Movies episodes to the Patreon tier and I didn't want to miss out. Once they made the WLM switch, it's all the other extra shows that got me to stay and increase the pledge.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
RIPD was a terrific episode. The absurd Bridges accent really plays. And yea, WLM are almost always bad. It's a shame.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

fishing with the fam posted:

RIPD was a terrific episode. The absurd Bridges accent really plays. And yea, WLM are almost always bad. It's a shame.

Counterpoint - the whole first year of WLM December, Ghostbusters, Superman, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WLM Shining is one of the best episodes ever.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's very much based on the movie for me and what I think the riffs might be, which I guess is not always accurate without listening. But like The Shining immediately seems to me like it would be ripe for jokes even as a great movie, whereas I haven't listened to the Big Lebowski episode yet because I'm not really sure how you make more fun of a movie where literally every single detail has already been considered for comedic effect.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GPTribefan posted:

Counterpoint - the whole first year of WLM December, Ghostbusters, Superman, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

the first WLM month was so good because they were still treating it like mainline episodes, going through the movie and making jokes about scenes in sequential order. now any given WLM episode has better than even odds of being like the thief one last year where you’re 30 minutes into the episode and they haven’t explained the basic premise of the movie

I for one listen to basically all the patreon stuff (minus WLM if I haven’t seen the movie at this point) because it’s all so varied and funny. I’ve barely watched any trek and I love the nexus, Once in a Lifetime rules, and Melr0210 is so loving funny it makes me wish sometimes they made it the main podcast

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, I used to love the WLMs when they were just a few times a year. Now it's just them jerking the movie off for 2.5 hours. While it's interesting to hear analysis from people who actually know movies/structure/etc., it gets tiring.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I will say if they’re going to do a patreon WLM every month I think the full WLM month can go. I appreciate hearing smart movie guys talk about film but its certainly not as ripe for selection as trash cinema.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Muppet Christmas Carol WLM is a banger

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It’s a Wonderful Life, Spider-man, and all the LOTR and Star Wars eps are among the best episodes they’ve ever done

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If it’s an entity with a certain place within nerd culture (Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones) it’s probably a good WLM. If it’s simply a great movie they like it tends to be pretty dull to me, because it ends up with them repeating, over and over, the same points of “actor x is so awesome, this scene is so good, actress y is incredible.” Goodfellas ep was this IMO and it simply ain’t fun.

It’s not a guarantee tho: I didn’t care for the Gremlins 2 ep and I loved the Casablanca one. Go figure. I skip most WLM tho.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Also in meager defense of WLMs, even the Lebowski episode, which wasn’t especially funny compared to main feed episodes, made me immediately want to watch it. But yeah if you’re just here for the chucklefarts this and any modern series recap show have to be the least interesting.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The WLM episodes remind me of a Chris Farley bit on SNL where he was a regular guy interviewing a famous person.

CF: "H-hi Paul McCartney. Remember, remember when you were in the Beatles?"

PM: Em, yeah

CF: ".... that was cool"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Just want to note that the amount of content produced is crazy and all tiers of the patreon are good, so I’m actually thankful to have a type I’m okay to skip like We Love Movies. Bless the WHM boys.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

regulargonzalez posted:

The WLM episodes remind me of a Chris Farley bit on SNL where he was a regular guy interviewing a famous person.

More like when your friend tries to make you sit and listen to this album because trust me the good part's coming up dude

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They should do another album listen through.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Zurtilik posted:

They should do another album listen through.

it needs to be Limp Bizkit's Significant Other.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

Only if Eric does it in character as Bones.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dorium posted:

chocolate starfish

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This week's On-Screen Live's stream got suspended for policy violations a half hour in. Maybe because they were showing the Flash trailer? Or as chat suggested, because Steve said Super Bowl instead of Big Game.

e: And it's back!

e2: Listener Request Month drawing happens next week on this show

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 13, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

This week's On-Screen Live's stream got suspended for policy violations a half hour in. Maybe because they were showing the Flash trailer? Or as chat suggested, because Steve said Super Bowl instead of Big Game.

e: And it's back!

e2: Listener Request Month drawing happens next week on this show

I will say they got one thing wrong in their Live stream. Fast X is indeed part one of two to finish out the series. Because of course it is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thrawn527 posted:

I will say they got one thing wrong in their Live stream. Fast X is indeed part one of two to finish out the series. Because of course it is.

Hell yeah, about time we got FFX-2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Which I'm glad about, since I loving love those dumb movies :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

Which I'm glad about, since I loving love those dumb movies :allears:

Oh, me too. And Momoa looks like a ton of fun, so I can't wait for him to be FAMILY for the last movie.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, me too. And Momoa looks like a ton of fun, so I can't wait for him to be FAMILY for the last movie.

Jason Momoa is the capstone of the FF franchise. How has it taken them so long to get him in these movies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

To quote Vintersorg from the trailer thread:

Vintersorg posted:

Mortal Kombat sized cast. drat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mweber posted:

Jason Momoa is the capstone of the FF franchise. How has it taken them so long to get him in these movies?

Vin Diesel is apparently trying to get RDJ to be the villain for the final movie. I'm sure he won't succeed, but the point is that he wants someone even bigger for the last go.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about RIPD: Is there an explanation about the Indian Food stuff? Like it causes sensory overload for dead people or something? Like, anything other than “It’s RAAAAAANDOM!!” :imunfunny: and the WHM gang was just being hyperbolic, right? RIGHT?!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Losing my poo poo at the kid in Sleepless in Seattle being Tom Waits :lol:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I listen to the main feed only and its plenty of podcast every single week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You can pry The Nexus from my cold, dead hands, Jim Boy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

You can pry The Nexus from my cold, dead hands, Jim Boy.

:hai:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I thought I had never seen a single frame of Sleepless in Seattle but when they talked about the "will you scratch her back?" scene, it unearthed some memory of watching that scene when I was a preteen and wondering what the gently caress kind of movie this was. Now I know.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Tom Waits Kid is such a good WHM character

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought I had never seen a single frame of Sleepless in Seattle but when they talked about the "will you scratch her back?" scene, it unearthed some memory of watching that scene when I was a preteen and wondering what the gently caress kind of movie this was. Now I know.

:same:

Now I'm wondering where I saw that scene.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is Wishmaster the most used WHM character?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
For no reason in particular, I haven't really listened to the podcast for about 5 years. On a whim I listened to the RIPD episode and remembered how great this is. Any must listen to episodes that have come out in the last couple years?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
-- Batman '89
-- Jungle 2 Jungle
-- This clip for an episode behind the paywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

They put Ready Player One on the main feed a few summers ago.