Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

THE BAR posted:

Alright, why do they need whatever info that linking my account grants them? They already have my email, you can't wring blood from a stone!

E:

That they present themselves as a legitimate site, but might be a key reselling operation. That they're being coy about it. I have no idea!

They are the same company that run the Fandom wikis and now own Gamespot and Giant Bomb and TV Guide. They are a real company selling real keys. They just want your info because they are evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fanatical is owned by Fandom, of terrible-wikis infamy. They just spit Steam keys at you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

elf help book posted:

They are the same company that run the Fandom wikis and now own Gamespot and Giant Bomb and TV Guide. They are a real company selling real keys. They just want your info because they are evil.

Thanks! I've been buying bundles from them for years, I just don't know what this Steam link nonsense means. I think they've done it before.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

THE BAR posted:

Thanks! I've been buying bundles from them for years, I just don't know what this Steam link nonsense means. I think they've done it before.

It's a method to stop you from claiming a million free keys and reselling them yourself. Humble actually used to do this for every key but stopped for whatever reason.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

elf help book posted:

It's a method to stop you from claiming a million free keys and reselling them yourself. Humble actually used to do this for every key but stopped for whatever reason.

I see it requires a Steam account you've actually spent money on, so that makes sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I tried to buy a game off of Fanatical and I had to call my bank to tell them my card hadn't been stolen

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried to buy a game off of Fanatical and I had to call my bank to tell them my card hadn't been stolen
I used to very consitently have that problem with GOG, some banks seem to think "Gaming" always means gambling.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

elf help book posted:

loving RIP. I bought a bundle from them a few days ago with the old Jedi Knight games, and got like 10 advertising emails in 3 days before I blocked them off. I'm probably never even gonna play the fuckin games

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've spent plenty of money from games on fanatical, and I haven't once had an issue

The only complaint I'd even make is that some of the bundles that they have, have a bunch of shovelware games

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've spent plenty of money from games on fanatical, and I haven't once had an issue

The only complaint I'd even make is that some of the bundles that they have, have a bunch of shovelware games

I buy and have had zero trouble both with Fanatical and Humble. The only caveat is occasionally I’ll tack on $.99 for a “mystery” game key for Steam. I’ve done it like four or five times since ‘20, and every time it’s been a game I already own, on Steam no less.

I just post ‘em here :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waffleman_ posted:

When I bought my Steam Deck, I found out the next day that my card had been frozen by my bank. Did they have a problem with the $600+ Steam Deck purchase? Nope! They were suspicious of a $10 purchase I'd made on Fanatical a month earlier!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Zereth posted:

I used to very consitently have that problem with GOG, some banks seem to think "Gaming" always means gambling.

Waffleman_ posted:

Once a carder has a stolen credit card number they usually make a small purchase to verify that the card works before they start buying clothes and hoverboards, e.g. when my card info was stolen they first ordered a soda through Steak 'n Shake's app then followed it up up with a $600 online order from Old Navy. An unexplained $0.99 iTunes purchase used to be a blaring siren that said you got honked and were about to get cleaned out, but I think Apple has beefed up measures on their end so carders don't use them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if carders were now testing cards by buying Steam keys from Fanatical (and then reselling the keys on G2A) so often that many banks just automatically lock your account the first time you buy from Fanatical.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm still not old enough to play Leisure Suit Larry 1, I don't know enough quiz answers to verify my age: https://allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl1-age-quiz.html

Weird way to admit you don't know about the Chicago Seven.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Skwirl posted:

Weird way to admit you don't know about the Chicago Seven.

Weird flex, but ok

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Weird flex, but ok

I'm assuming the OP is American and I think every American should know about the Chicago 7.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Skwirl posted:

I'm assuming the OP is American and I think every American should know about the Chicago 7.

Wow okay, I'm sorry that I don't watch football, jfc

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Skwirl posted:

Americans find out about poo poo like this by reading internet forums. Every history class I ever had in public school was barely ever able to make it past WWI

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Americans find out about poo poo like this by reading internet forums. Every history class I ever had in public school was barely ever able to make it past WWI

It should be general pop culture knowledge. loving Aaron Sorkin made a movie about it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Every single thing about the US I learned in these forums.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Oh yeah american kids fuckin love Aaron Sorkin

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Skwirl posted:

It should be general pop culture knowledge. loving Aaron Sorkin made a movie about it.

Aaron Sorkin admitted in interviews he didn’t know who the Chicago 7 were before being tapped to make the movie by Spielberg.

Probably why he wrote a movie where Abbie Hoffman gives a big speech about how much he believes in the system.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

He makes poo poo a lot of people watch. The quality of it I'm not going to comment on.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

He makes poo poo a lot of people watch. The quality of it I'm not going to comment on.

My point is - most Americans will never know about this. It isn't taught in our schools. It is weird to shame someone for not knowing about it. They are not responsible for the systemic failures of our society

e: i just realized what thread im in, ill shut up now. sorry

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gobbeldygook posted:

Once a carder has a stolen credit card number they usually make a small purchase to verify that the card works before they start buying clothes and hoverboards, e.g. when my card info was stolen they first ordered a soda through Steak 'n Shake's app then followed it up up with a $600 online order from Old Navy. An unexplained $0.99 iTunes purchase used to be a blaring siren that said you got honked and were about to get cleaned out, but I think Apple has beefed up measures on their end so carders don't use them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if carders were now testing cards by buying Steam keys from Fanatical (and then reselling the keys on G2A) so often that many banks just automatically lock your account the first time you buy from Fanatical.

This really hosed me and my idiot hell bank (US Bank) did nothing to tell me why.

No damage was done to me that was not done by the bank and their mishandling of the legitimate charge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if I'd know if my bank blocked fraudulent charges or not. What I do know is that the only time my card gets locked is when I'm making legitimate purchases, and whenever someone has gotten access to my card details, the charges go right through.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
this has been a very impressive tangent, ngl

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's all good, this thread is for single posts about a new free game for the week and then a loving corkscrew spiral derail into gently caress only knows for a week or two.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
don't know what you're talking about, this thread always stays on track and it's always relevant to the singular aged millenial experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RSCSw_VwIs

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a cautionary tale about the dangers of buying games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Currently free on GOG: Alien Breed Trilogy, Team17's 2011 UE3-powered effort to resurrect their Amiga-era martian-blaster in the episodic manner.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Please don't advocate for inflicting Sorkinbrain on children.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1625896023309824000?s=20

poo poo, Back to Nature was my jam as a kid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mine too, probably the first game I clocked over 100 hours in

I can't really justify playing it now when MFOMT exists though but it's nice that it's there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part of me has been meaning to check out the remake.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For the PS+ extra titles, are they yours to keep even if you drop down to a lower tier?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

lostleaf posted:

For the PS+ extra titles, are they yours to keep even if you drop down to a lower tier?

I believe so long as you've added them to your account, they're on your account forever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zereth posted:

You're not alone about GOG. Apparently there is also something about the isle of Cyprus, which they bill through or some such.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Once I left a debit card at Taco Bell in Nottingham and someone ran up about £315 worth of charges on it. It was my fault for leaving at as I was pissed as a newt, but I don't know how they got my PIN. I got all my money back, but I had to go to my bank in person because the telephone people were arseholes. Another time I had someone make a few charges on a different card in Macon, Georgia, a town I have never been to. I had to get a new card, and I did get all of my money back.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Not American, but I did like that old show Sports Night. Haven't seen any of his other rubbish, though. People as prolific as him usually push out heaps of steaming crap.

big cummers ONLY posted:

My point is - most Americans will never know about this. It isn't taught in our schools. It is weird to shame someone for not knowing about it. They are not responsible for the systemic failures of our society

e: i just realized what thread im in, ill shut up now. sorry

I would say that the US is in itself a systemic failure as a society, but I digress. I've seen enough of the education system there to say that it's dreadful. It makes the UK system look decent, and that is probably the worst insult/non-compliment that I could possibly imagine.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 16, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We're the dysfunctional kid of a parent who never had their poo poo together.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Monkey posted:

I believe so long as you've added them to your account, they're on your account forever.

Nope, that only applies to the PS+ basic stuff. Sadly I think you need to stay subbed to Extra to be able to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

cool, Duskers is free on Epic next week. I've been vaguely interested in that one for years.