Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

WORK CAR HOME is such a perfect summary of the anti-car argument that of course it had to come straight from the carbrain's mouth

do you mean pro-car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
lmao :(

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1276451659913342976

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1276444314676191234?t=IyezLKtGoUpMzt4-vXEEhw&s=19

A cop with a good take???

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

My first thought was "oh, this must be a parody cop account"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the traffic cops enemy is the car. in this we are brothers but only in this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Preen Dog posted:

I've only used a vehicle for work and it's infuriating that I can't (safely) do anything while driving. On the train, a person can read a book, while walking, can enjoy the scenery and think about life, but while driving must pay attention to the banal, repetive activity or I might kill someone or break my car. Being trapped in an elevator was more fun because at least then I could lie down.

And driving any non-trivial distance costs hella $ for no good reason. Even my little Civic was a 1300kg vehicle to move 70kg of meat. Space Shuttle was more efficient.

And any moment it can break down. Need a car to work and need to work to pay for the car. I took good care of it, was a reliable model, drove safe, easy on braking and acceleration, no collisions or tickets and... the transmission just dies over the course of 5 minutes. At least the rest of my trip was downhill so I could roll home.

Super lucky that I had lost my job 2 days prior and I could just give the vehicle away. Never again. The metro is going over the valley bridge and the sunrise is so pretty I'm crying rn. On top of a transit pass I can afford to take Uber so often it's like having a chaffeur.

I for one love having to rely on a machine built to break itself sooner on purpose to get to work and live life, while also having lots of money put away to deal with these random issues, while also needing to also be a mechanic so I don't get defrauded and to take of minor things myself PROVIDED my landlord/neighbors/whoever sees me is ok with me servicing this vehicle.

Much better than sharing one big machine that goes to a depot with people who know how to repair it and have the parts around to do so.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/malikfnlol/status/1566269787843354624

Top Tesla tweeting twiggy-legged twerp title taken.

i hope he gets robbed lol

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

! yay ! :circlefap:

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Horace posted:

"wow, so and so street used to be lined with trees, its street parking now"
"this is a pretty row of houses and a pub. what is it now? oh, a car park"
"they demolished all these beautiful old buildings when they widened that road?"
"there used to be trams running through here??"

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Horace posted:

since total car domination was just the norm, I never thought about it. until the local council launched a very nice local history website with thousands of high-res scans of photos dating back to the 1840s.

"wow, so and so street used to be lined with trees, its street parking now"
"this is a pretty row of houses and a pub. what is it now? oh, a car park"
"they demolished all these beautiful old buildings when they widened that road?"
"there used to be trams running through here??"

why had all these things happened which made my town uglier and less pleasant to be in?

eventually the penny dropped

kansas city?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

the traffic cops enemy is the car. in this we are brothers but only in this

Traffic cops work to protect drivers, any benefit to other road users is accidental.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

most people never change their brake fluid and typically run kumhos

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

McCracAttack posted:

Apparently it's an interstate off-ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39uIXLh030

they really need to increase the signage

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Gabagool posted:

https://twitter.com/malikfnlol/status/1624517819827372032

oh my god, i'd take my chances against the self driving over this lunatic

but as 100% system admin

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

SideEffectShit posted:

theres a right lane must exit sign, then another sign indicating the right lane is exit only and also the street it deposits into, then a sign warning to slow to 30, then another sign warning of a hard right turn and to slow to 20, then another sign to slow to 20, then another sign indicating a right turn and to slow to 20, then a sign warning of the upcoming light, then another sign indicating a right turn and to slow to 20, a few arrows helpfully showing the way, and then youre there!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If only there was one more sign

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SideEffectShit posted:

Always needs more signs. Water should spray the cars or something too to warn them.

Should just bollard the whole exit.

I used to take that exit daily and you'd have to be blind and stupid to take that exit so fast. But car brains

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speed bumps are pretty effective against speeding, aren't they? I bet they'd be hilarious in a tunnel if an idiot managed to do a jump. Plus I'm pretty sure that speeding over a bump damages the car, so that's good.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah that offramp is exquisitely, drat near excessively signed https://imgur.com/a/tvx2VNV you have to be 200% tuned out to not notice it, like ONE yellow speed sign is easily dismissed but they've got FOUR plus a sign about the traffic light plus signs indicating the sharp turn PLUS there's a loving concrete wall directly in front of you

but 200% tuned out is the average state of the american driver so lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/GavButler16/status/1625624743498874880

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
In Seattle there was this bike path that ended abruptly in stairs, with no warning whatsoever. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Google Maps keeps insisting a long flight of stairs down the side of the valley is a legit bike path whenever I check directions. To reach it even you have to cross a grass park with no paths.

...and weirdly enough it probably is still the fastest/safest way for me to reach the valley paths and avoid roads.

mystes
May 31, 2006

cat botherer posted:

In Seattle there was this bike path that ended abruptly in stairs, with no warning whatsoever. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?
I think I saw a picture on r/fuckcars of something similar at some university somewhere where there were tons of skid marks but I can't remember where it was

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the solution is to make a bike escalator

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

should have been a pedestrian bridge imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drat, how would bikes and pedestrians ever navigate an intersection without rigid signaling. guess we'll never know.

https://goo.gl/maps/sXgSfGzRPmXJhnc78

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

I think I saw a picture on r/fuckcars of something similar at some university somewhere where there were tons of skid marks but I can't remember where it was

it was my undies

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

it was my undies

Do you have stairs in your pants?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

eXXon posted:

Do you have stairs in your pants?

please don't poke fun at my physical deformities

mystes
May 31, 2006

Before I posted that I had tried searching for it without success but I was able to get it now immediately because it occurred to me to try searching in comments in r/fuckcars for "skid marks" rather than "stairs" or something

There's a video in the post and it's pretty ridiculous: https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/ygtkcw/the_disdain_for_bikers_isnt_even_subtle/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

How much did this loving cost?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BonHair posted:

Speed bumps are pretty effective against speeding, aren't they? I bet they'd be hilarious in a tunnel if an idiot managed to do a jump. Plus I'm pretty sure that speeding over a bump damages the car, so that's good.

they are, but cities won't put them in certain locations, like downhill, or in tunnels. basically if the result of someone speeding over it would be extremely funny, they won't do it

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

actionjackson posted:

they are, but cities won't put them in certain locations, like downhill, or in tunnels. basically if the result of someone speeding over it would be extremely funny, they won't do it

Gotta start electing fewer cowards

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Mr. Sharps posted:

theres a right lane must exit sign, then another sign indicating the right lane is exit only and also the street it deposits into, then a sign warning to slow to 30, then another sign warning of a hard right turn and to slow to 20, then another sign to slow to 20, then another sign indicating a right turn and to slow to 20, then a sign warning of the upcoming light, then another sign indicating a right turn and to slow to 20, a few arrows helpfully showing the way, and then youre there!
you can also see a wall straight ahead

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Some kid got fuckin murdered here a year back or so, so they stuck this speed hump here. All it does is slow down Civics or Fits, the modern sort of truck everyone loves to drive just glides over it at 40mph.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Now now, those types of speedbumps also slow down ambulances too, so that they have worse survival rates.*

*IIRR, it's been a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
"But what about emergency vehicles" is a common rallying cry against any kind of traffic improvement here too, despite no evidence that bike lanes or speed bumps make emergency vehicles less effective.