Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xenogears has it's 25th anniversary, and apparently there's some plamo out, which I want, but can't seem to find for under $200

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Xenogears has it's 25th anniversary, and apparently there's some plamo out, which I want, but can't seem to find for under $200

rip

You can thank me later.

Still might not be your style, with the minimal colors and all, but it's at least a bit cheaper.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

You can thank me later.

Still might not be your style, with the minimal colors and all, but it's at least a bit cheaper.

Those look completely unpainted,

Which isn't a big problem, just not as exciting as I had hoped

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those look completely unpainted,

Which isn't a big problem, just not as exciting as I had hoped

There's also this one, but it's much more expensive.

Still, it's got color.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Happy Valentine's!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hello Thread. I am not a big anime person. I am also not a big model building person. I got this thing and I am proud of what I have done so far:

This took me about 5 hours and I loved it so far.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
The RG Eva kits may have the most complex torsos of any kit I've built, and the torso is often a pretty complex construction on Gunpla. You've done great so far, looking forward to seeing more!

One of the big surprises for me with RG Evangelion kits was how well they stand. All the care put into their proportions helps them hold their weight better than you'd expect for such lanky bastards

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Just Dan Again posted:

The RG Eva kits may have the most complex torsos of any kit I've built, and the torso is often a pretty complex construction on Gunpla. You've done great so far, looking forward to seeing more!

One of the big surprises for me with RG Evangelion kits was how well they stand. All the care put into their proportions helps them hold their weight better than you'd expect for such lanky bastards
I appreciate it!

I could have done better on the cleanup on the stubs or 'Flashing' (?). And I have been spending too much time second guessing myself on instruction.

My only tools are a diagonal cutter, a metal file, my eyes and hands.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Katamari Democracy posted:

I appreciate it!

I could have done better on the cleanup on the stubs or 'Flashing' (?). And I have been spending too much time second guessing myself on instruction.

My only tools are a diagonal cutter, a metal file, my eyes and hands.

a cutter/nippers and a file are really all you need, but yeah I would take a second pass at that. there is still a lot of flashing showing. another clip and file and you should easily be able to get those pieces flush. in most areas it's an aesthetic thing only but with some pieces the nubs might be on a seam or a joint and if there's any left sticking out your pieces won't fit together properly. as Just Dan Again said though the RG Eva is a pretty complex kit so nice job for a first time!

edit: for clarity this is still a very impressive beginner build i don't want to undercut that, just want to share some tips that we all learn as we go. it took me years! there was talk earlier in the thread of cursed part removal methods and i absolutely started this hobby just pressing pieces off the runners like a psycho lol. now i have a nice pair of single bladed nippers and i pretty much do two cuts and i'm done. keep on truckin, you've started with one of the best kits of all time imo so prepare to get addicted

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ive seen a few video's where the runners connect to the parts on the inside lining of the parts and it kinda seems like the superior way to do it and yet its barely done on the kits Ive had so far.

Is it more difficult to construct the runners that way or something

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

E: first post somehow came through?? Lol oops.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mindblast posted:

Ive seen a few video's where the runners connect to the parts on the inside lining of the parts and it kinda seems like the superior way to do it and yet its barely done on the kits Ive had so far.

Is it more difficult to construct the runners that way or something

I mean it's gotta be, right? Or else they'd do it 100% of the time because it's objectively better in every way, from the perspective of the model builder. Just kinda thinking about how molds are designed and made (which I did learn all about at one point ten years ago but never used that knowledge so it's all gone), yeah, it surely is a lot more complicated to produce usable molds with undergating, and complicated = expense.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Having the gates connect to the hidden portions of parts is called "undergating," for pretty obvious reasons.

It's not done as frequently because of a number of factors. One is laziness - it's really easy and cheap to just scratch out a mold and run the gate directly into the part, who cares where it connects? Good undergating can also increase the size of your molds, which isn't just the cost of a raw billet of tool steel, but also making sure you have enough volume to shove this new larger mold inside your injection machines. On top of all that, and what I suspect reduces the prevalence of undergating the most is the actual injection of plastic. Any jackass with infinite time and money can make a really precise mold with a really small surface area; doing big sprues with highly complex forms is where the finesse comes in, because you have to get the plastic injected all at about the same rate to avoid bubbles forming in the part, blockages, or other uneven injections. There's a lotta flow rate math going on in addition to just the machining, and when you stick a big U-shaped gate under a part, you're making that math much harder on yourself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

Any folks familiar with Sentinel's Riobot line of robot toys?

I've been eyeing their upcoming Raideen figure as a possible sensible investment to make as sensible adult, but I'm not familiar with them and I'd rather avoid throwing money at a lemon if I could.

I feel a little embarrassed posting something that was complete out-of-the-box alongside the excellent work y'all have posted, but I figured I should provide an update to this having finally received the Riobot Raideen.

Despite it's sharper design, it's a surprisingly orthodox figure! It feels slightly more fragile than my SoC's, which was a little frightening with how stiff the joints are, but I haven't had any problems with it. The wings make it quite top heavy, so the stand was welcome.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Now this guy I like

https://twitter.com/hobbysite/status/1625051066269319168?s=46&t=rI9ufjjNCRaMe36lpK7J8g

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finally managed to snag a SAB chisel holder and I love thee chisel so much more now. The holders were so hard to get a while now, but it feels so much better to use now that I got one.

Either it's a scam to get people to pay an extra ten bucks for the handle or there's lunatics who think that this looks like a comfortable tool to hold.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/sadpandatxt/status/1625238382753247247?s=20&t=YiiQV_UzIdTL6gewJzfzmA

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

He is chilling after a rough day. Accidently tried to force his tongue inside of his chin and his tongue snapped. Oh well. I just need to keep his mouth closed and nobody will notice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you feel like you're forcing something to move or connect stop and make sure everything else is assembled and oriented correctly, you rarely have to use force with Bandai's offerings.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

counterpoint: everytime that i've had to put a limb on a torso is the most harrowing experience of my life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

sometimes it's good to put the fear of God into the plastic

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Making this in Johnny Ridden colors for sure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
As I said on discord, I may have made a mistake.

Not going to attempt that RG anytime soon, still got plenty of HG kits to work on. I don't think I'm ready for it.

I did finish my EG Nu though.

Also does anyone know when the Newtype Spring Sale is going to end? I assume not any time soon because, well, it's still winter (technically, though you wouldn't know it by the weather), but I can't find any info on it. I grabbed a bunch of stuff that's in the sale, but I have to wait until next Thursday to actually order it since PayPal rejected me for Pay In 4. Just don't want them to go off sale before the order can go through.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

You shouldn't fear the complexity of RG models

You should fear the emptiness that comes after experiencing the pinnacle of plastic model construction and having to go back to other models... waka waka :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schwarzwald posted:

I feel a little embarrassed posting something that was complete out-of-the-box alongside the excellent work y'all have posted, but I figured I should provide an update to this having finally received the Riobot Raideen.

Despite it's sharper design, it's a surprisingly orthodox figure! It feels slightly more fragile than my SoC's, which was a little frightening with how stiff the joints are, but I haven't had any problems with it. The wings make it quite top heavy, so the stand was welcome.

There's no shame to a straight build out of the box, everyone's got different tools and skill levels and it's always nice to see someone's finished build.

Now, how you choose to pose your finished robot for photos? No excuses there; We shall be merciless in our petty criticism! :goonsay:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I had a dream that I got a 1/100 HG Nu Gundam that wasn't made by Bandai but still had their logo on it and now I'm sad I don't because it looked cool.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 374 days!
I've built 6 witch from mercury hg's now and the chuchu's demi trainer and darilbalde (comes with a stand!) are far and away my top picks :eng101:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've almost finished the MG RX-78 clear color build. So many tiny and intricate parts, first time I've done an MG. Shocked at how articulate the hands are. The core fighter felt like it could fall apart at any moment, but never did. It came with decals, but I felt like they'd look weird with the clear color style. Did briefly wonder how it might look with panel lining, but let that go too.

I have an HG EZ8 coming in tomorrow, but I definitely want to do another MG soon. Maybe Turn A?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

RillAkBea posted:

You shouldn't fear the complexity of RG models

You should fear the emptiness that comes after experiencing the pinnacle of plastic model construction and having to go back to other models... waka waka :v:

Ain't that the truth.

The HobbyBoss P-47 kit is pretty close though.. "real models" are where I go for a challenge now.

.. There's a couple I've thrown out, out of hand, because of how trash they were.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

As I said on discord, I may have made a mistake.

Not going to attempt that RG anytime soon, still got plenty of HG kits to work on. I don't think I'm ready for it.

I did finish my EG Nu though.

Also does anyone know when the Newtype Spring Sale is going to end? I assume not any time soon because, well, it's still winter (technically, though you wouldn't know it by the weather), but I can't find any info on it. I grabbed a bunch of stuff that's in the sale, but I have to wait until next Thursday to actually order it since PayPal rejected me for Pay In 4. Just don't want them to go off sale before the order can go through.

You might want to grab a Gundam The Origin HG to get some decal practice in before you do the RG. RG isn't harder to put together but will always come with lots of decals.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the chinese 50 cent action stands from aliexpress finally, and well, they're 50 cents

it's hit or miss if it fits the bottom of the HG 1/144 properly or tightly, but , it fits, and I don't have to worry (too much) about them falling over now. Are they worse than the official bandai stand? probably. But, they were 50 cents.

Some reason, my RG Tallgeese doesn't have an action stand butthole thing, I guess it uses something else.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Skrillmub posted:

You might want to grab a Gundam The Origin HG to get some decal practice in before you do the RG. RG isn't harder to put together but will always come with lots of decals.

You also don't need to do the decals and it will still look good. Origin kits are great practice for that though, so many stickers.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
They're perfect to realize decals are bad and then to invest in waterslides

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got the chinese 50 cent action stands from aliexpress finally, and well, they're 50 cents

it's hit or miss if it fits the bottom of the HG 1/144 properly or tightly, but , it fits, and I don't have to worry (too much) about them falling over now. Are they worse than the official bandai stand? probably. But, they were 50 cents.

Some reason, my RG Tallgeese doesn't have an action stand butthole thing, I guess it uses something else.

If it's like some RG's I've got, there should be an adapter clip that mounts somewhere on the underside/on the rear end and connects to an Action Base mount.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's like some RG's I've got, there should be an adapter clip that mounts somewhere on the underside/on the rear end and connects to an Action Base mount.

I'll have to dig through the baggie of extras I made for my gundams that aren't using them.

I didn't separate them. They're all in the same baggy :getin:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I finished this guy I got for Christmas a week or so ago. Got an action base form Hobby Lobby:

Did some light panel lining, probably too light. Much of the panel lining I did on the Livelance Heaven I got last winter faded. Would doing it thicker help, or do I really need a topcoat for that?

My other Christmas present was an MG Epyon. It'll be my first MG. I've done RGs, the Exia and Eva-0, so I know it'll be about the same, just more of it. I feel like I should try something different, though I don't know what, as I don't really have anywhere I can spray stuff. I have this basic toolkit which has suited me fine so far, though the finer of the two files degraded pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that's my fault.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Bandai Lucky-Dip package arrived... while I'm at work... :negative:

I'm actually quite excited to see what's in it tonight though, based off Kirby's assortment. :peanut:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Bandai Lucky-Dip package arrived... while I'm at work... :negative:

I'm actually quite excited to see what's in it tonight though, based off Kirby's assortment. :peanut:

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to the differences

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to the differences

If I do get a MAILeS, I think I'm gonna start eying up those custom limb and weapon sets HLJ's got for preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Wow that rg zgok looks good and I just did a little look around and the price around here is no higher than the hg stein narr version.

Haven't done rg before so I think its time to dip into this!

E: in the same vein Im getting intrigued by that evangelion rg. I dig the complex torso. Are they all of the same quality? I kinda want to get the darker one, unit 4-5 idk the numbering on it. The goth eva. Yall know the one.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 15, 2023