Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So who's doing Hagar now out of curiosity (or did the previous artist have a backlog of strips prior to his death that the syndicate is still working through)?

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

So who's doing Hagar now out of curiosity (or did the previous artist have a backlog of strips prior to his death that the syndicate is still working through)?

Chris Browne had at least one assistant artist, Gary Hallgren. And there's another Browne, Chance, who's still drawing Hi and Lois, so one of them could possibly take over Hagar once Chris's backlog runs out. Or maybe there are some Browne grandchildren out there who might want to get into the business, like Mason Mastroianni did with B.C. and The Wizard of Id. Or, hey, maybe they could just let Hagar rest and give a new artist a chance... crazier things have happened.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

them just enjoying having some oreos and milk together is really cute

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's a splitter though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The lighter side of laundry mangles

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Guy Gilchrist’s Hagar the Horrible coming soon!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Guy Gilchrist’s Hagar the Horrible coming soon!

Why not Jam Esallen? Then we could have an analog of the Dr Camel, diabetes victim storyline.
Dr. Camel the Horrible
Or maybe Hagar the Horrible’s Edge of Adventure

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Prescott's looking especially demonic tonight, or Parker feels the pressure, or Wyatt Earp is made a very happy man

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hagar's daughter would need a breastplate a few cup sizes up, and her lute carrying beau will suddenly change to more of a cowboy hat aesthetic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Hagar's daughter would need a breastplate a few cup sizes up, and her lute carrying beau will suddenly change to more of a cowboy hat aesthetic.

Hagar renounces Odin and Thor to convert to Christianity, while Helga lies around all day crying and reminiscing about musicians who won't be born for another 1,000 years.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Don’t be a weirdo, Antique Dealer. (The bit where the alien gets a name is a bit clumsy – “saba” is “mackerel,” which is hopefully clear - but he wears an adorable apron later with “Sabao” written on it so I couldn’t really localize the name.)

Cthulhu and Girl

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 15, 1939)

I would gladly pay you today, for a hamburger... today.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Beautiful Cinnamon Roll Too Good For This World, Too Pure

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Doomykins posted:

Beautiful Cinnamon Roll Too Good For This World, Too Pure

And Futaba is pretty sweet too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Hagar renounces Odin and Thor to convert to Christianity, while Helga lies around all day crying and reminiscing about musicians who won't be born for another 1,000 years.
To be fair, that wouldn't even make the top twenty of Hagar Anachronisms.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

And that's the end of the Boondocks comic strip. Not quite "There's treasure everywhere!"

Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Darthemed posted:

And that's the end of the Boondocks comic strip. Not quite "There's treasure everywhere!"

It didn't always age well, and a whole lot of its humour doesn't make sense if you weren't around at the time (and sometimes even then), but I liked seeing the Boondocks again.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020

Darthemed posted:

Docks

Not much of a build-up for an ending, right? Aside from the strips from a few days ago, it seems a bit abrupt for an ending.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I recall that, originally, it was supposed to be a 6 months hiatus (that's how it was announced, anyway). Newspapers would carry reruns for few months afterwards with that in mind.

Aaron McGruder never came back, to the shock of nobody. After another few more weeks of reruns the strip was pulled from newspapers entirely.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Crisis on Infinite Frogs

I Never Really Got The Urge To Catch Up With High School Friends And I Graduated In 2008 But They're All Off Living Their Lives And I Have Mine So...Yeah.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/26/50

Archie 7/11-13/46

This feels like a word problem. If Betty starts with $15, buys compasses for $1 each, sells them back for 75 cents, and gives Jughead a $1 commission, how many chances can she get?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

goatface posted:

Lute is an orphan being raised by two NORTH-UMBRIA VETS.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Wilbur's back to stalking I see.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bill Watterson has a new book coming out!

https://mastodon.social/@stevelieber/109865727920254658

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 maybe I should timg this?

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

You will see that Lottie’s markers of success are not exactly the same as those of, say, Q Prime Management.

Selachian posted:

Archie 7/11-13/46

This feels like a word problem. If Betty starts with $15, buys compasses for $1 each, sells them back for 75 cents, and gives Jughead a $1 commission, how many chances can she get?

By my math, Betty should get 36 chances.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Oh no, I want Lottie to be happy with her bf, yet Glenn and Claire are suffering. Is there an answer that doesn't leave one party sad??

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Roosa Nauha (Rose (Rosé?) Ribbon) is a fundraising foundation thay raises money to combat breast cancer. They release annual ribbon designs for sale, with the money going to their fundraising and people getting a nice-looking ribbon to show their support.

It seems that the foundation hires a different artist each year nowadays to do some snazzier patterned designs.
I bet that this is all old news and this kind of ribbon fundraising was inspired by something done elsewhere for a similar purpose.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Roosa Nauha (Rose (Rosé?) Ribbon) is a fundraising foundation thay raises money to combat breast cancer. They release annual ribbon designs for sale, with the money going to their fundraising and people getting a nice-looking ribbon to show their support.

It seems that the foundation hires a different artist each year nowadays to do some snazzier patterned designs.
I bet that this is all old news and this kind of ribbon fundraising was inspired by something done elsewhere for a similar purpose.

The same thing exists here in the US -- the pink ribbon is a symbol for breast cancer awareness and fundraising.

The part I still don't understand is the connection to toilet paper.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
probably that's the usual product that endorses it around that season, right? in the US the association is batteries

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hempuli posted:

Oh no, I want Lottie to be happy with her bf, yet Glenn and Claire are suffering. Is there an answer that doesn't leave one party sad??

Right now it's a false dichotomy(Nero's REALLY stupid, apparently? Because we can mock his boy band dream? But nobody else is doing anything better or more important...) so Allison could write one if he knew what he wanted to do with Solver and the characters. His work is good and I like the characters and all but things have been really aimless since Lottie got thrown out of the house, it's completely understandable that Glenn realized his "job" was waiting for people to respond to a "we solve problems" generic flyer, and Claire isn't employed by them so ??? What've they done so far, had Dean talk to a chatty woman on a bus and helped two feuding siblings pay respects to their father's ashes? I hope the latter pair gave them a lot of money for it!

I heard there was a reason in a comics story but Lottie not being a detective feels really weird and pointless, especially since she just... became detective adjacent anyway. Solver is spinning its wheels.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It's almost like... Communication is good, or something...

Also, Holbrook takes over Hagar. Now no one gets to be happy :cawg:

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Mister Beeg posted:

I recall that, originally, it was supposed to be a 6 months hiatus (that's how it was announced, anyway). Newspapers would carry reruns for few months afterwards with that in mind.

Aaron McGruder never came back, to the shock of nobody. After another few more weeks of reruns the strip was pulled from newspapers entirely.
McGruder was (in)famous for hating daily cartooning. I read an interview with him where he said (paraphrasing) "It's easy to spot a daily strip cartoonist at a party. He's the one jibbering in the corner."

I know it *is* a lot of pressure to come up with a daily joke and put out those panels, but I never heard about anybody else who hated it so. (And some rather like it, and continue far after they don't need to, like Schulz and Keane.)

Yay! I never understood how somebody as talented and opinionated as Watterson could stand to go 30 years without doing anything other than very occasional guest work with Berke Breathed.

Doomykins posted:

I heard there was a reason in a comics story but Lottie not being a detective feels really weird and pointless, especially since she just... became detective adjacent anyway. Solver is spinning its wheels.
Allison's talent IMO is writing the interactions of a large ensemble cast of weird characters. His plot and character points are rather surrealistic and the wild interactions from throwing all the different crazinesses together makes them all go by more smoothly, plus provides enough material to fill out a story. The big weakness with Solver has been that the cast is too small. I liked the previous story because with Lottie, Glemm, and the 2 siblings, plus kinda Claire, there was enough interaction. This story is looking like two separate pairs, and that's not enough for how he writes. I think it would work better if Lottie were trying to do both the Solving and the managing at the same time, and developed a mad caffeine interaction trying to keep up, with the other three playing persecutor/rescuer/patsy.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 15, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Due to my piss-poor time management skills, Toonerville takes a hit for the team tonight.

Our Boarding House (July 12-14, 1923)

Dok's Dippy Warbucks (August 1, 1914)

Little Lefty (January 13 and 15, 1938)

As the next strip we have suggests, Peanuts' clock still has its original patina...but for a very telling reason.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

The part I still don't understand is the connection to toilet paper.

The ribbons are usually sold near the cash register; Heimo went to get TP, his wife asked if he also picked up a ribbon on the way, and Heimo didn't because he thought the ribbon would make for poor TP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Neat news re. Watterson - I'll have to see if the library can pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 28, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 15-16, 1993)

Big Nate