Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Don't forget that Arm's Length is decent mitigation too, but only on trash packs (bosses are immune to Slow).

Was waiting to see if someone else would mention this! I slept on Arm's Length for a while because for some reason I thought the slow would only trigger if it blocked a push/pull from an enemy attack. It actually applies slow to every enemy that hits you with an auto-attack. I think enemy spells and abilities don't trigger the slow, so Arm's Length doesn't help with mobs that only attack via spells.

Also try to space your mitigation abilities out so you're not stacking up on them unless it's a really dangerous pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Has arms length always caused slow and I just never knew until recently? I feel like I see this tip everywhere now and I don’t think I ever saw the skill mentioned before outside of preventing knockback

It has at least as long as I've been playing (started during 5.4 IIRC)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's always caused slow. It's just always been non-obvious so a lot of people miss it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People get confused because there are two different kinds of slow- movement slow and attack slow, and Arm's Length only does the latter. Also most bosses past level 40ish are immune to those kinds of debuffs, but you want to use it on packs anyway (or for its other function, to negate knockbacks)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arm's Length has always caused slow but in Stormblood it was Melee DPS only, so it only became useful in that regard in Shadowbringers when it was also added to the Tank role actions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unsinkabear posted:

Ignore what Bruceski said about healers, though. Some people aren't comfortable or genuinely aren't capable of healing through wall pulls, and that's okay. Lots of different types of people play this game, and that's important to remember when you're participating in any multiplayer content that isn't Savage or something competitive like ranked Crystalline Conflict.

I meant it as people complaining that you're NOT wall-pulling. A healer who bullies the tank into doing that and isn't prepared to help out is an idiot.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
well let this be a lesson, always read your tooltips folks!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If you're playing on controller, this video (by Pat of SuperBestFriends fame) goes through a lot of in-depth controller stuff that isn't obvious, as well as system stuff in general. Being made just before Shadowbringers it naturally isn't fully up to date, most notably there's an auto-targetting feature now that you really really want to turn on, but it's really helpful for letting you understand what all the stuff in the settings menu does as well as the basics of using a controller.

Another thing you should watch is JoCat's Crap Guide to FF14 series, which is a really good (and funny) rundown on how to play each role with advice that may not be immediately obvious, such as how off-globals work and that healers are actually DPS too.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bruceski posted:

I meant it as people complaining that you're NOT wall-pulling. A healer who bullies the tank into doing that and isn't prepared to help out is an idiot.

Oh! Then that and the same comment about DPS were very good advice, I apologize

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh! Then that and the same comment about DPS were very good advice, I apologize

My instinct in most things is to start cautious and build my way up to find what I'm comfortable with, so it never occurred to me that it could be read the other way around.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Don't forget that Arm's Length is decent mitigation too, but only on trash packs (bosses are immune to Slow).

Most bosses in ARR are still affected by Slow; they didn't normalize immunities for bosses until later. But some regular mobs won't be slowed by Arm's Length at all, because it only triggers on getting hit by either physical or melee attacks, and elementals/sprites only have ranged magic attacks.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Is it possible to juggle a few classes while doing the MSQ?

I just hit 40 with my SCH/SMN, and seem to be a bit over-leveled, as I just finished the Titan quest in ARR.

I wouldn’t mind trying out a new class, but would I have to do a bunch of duty/dungeon grinding to catch up to around MSQ level before picking it up?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A new class would start at level 1, yeah (for ARR jobs, at least), but it's fairly easy to catch up -- you'll even get an XP bonus, the "armory bonus," for jobs that are below your highest. If you've got other XP buffs, you can honestly catch up to MSQ level pretty fast.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also outside of ARR it's pretty easy to keep two jobs leveled using experience from the MSQ and the odd roulette.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
On a recent replay of the game with a new character, I managed to keep three (technically four since one of those was Summoner) classes evenly levelled for the entire 1-50 run, though I did do some extra stuff like hunting logs and levelling roulette every day. Later on, it's pretty easy to keep two classes levelled through MSQ experience and a third levelled through roulette experience, especially with the downtime you get in between expansions.

Since DPS queues are horrid I highly advise levelling two DPS classes with that ever-valuable MSQ experience.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 13, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Also outside of ARR it's pretty easy to keep two jobs leveled using experience from the MSQ and the odd roulette.

Yeah I played everything through Shadowbringers with two main jobs and only minimal roulette grinding. Just keep in mind that the more jobs you try to juggle the more extra non story grinding you'll need to do to keep them leveled. But that can be fun too.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Also, when you start doing more jobs it gets more complex to gear them all up. I haven't personally tried it (my main isn't on a Road to 80 server), but I suspect that exp-wise you could probably get away with juggling three jobs with Road to 80 up, at least until sometime in ShB given that I managed that until mid-Stormblood (I probably could have pushed further with a touch more grinding, but at that point my trials job was DRK and my dungeons job was DRG so it was just annoying to try to keep up with BLM as well).

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think the weird "this XXX does not share a recast time with any other XXX" language is a relic of Empyreal Arrow from Bard when it was first introduced in Heavensward where it was a Weaponskill but acted like an Ability in terms of GCD/oGCD. There might have been some MCH skills back then too with the same language, but I didn't play MCH back then.

What this meant was that you could press Empyreal Arrow like an oGCD in between your other weaponskills so it was basically an ability but Wanderer's Minuet made it have a cast bar like the rest of your GCDs so it was this weird mix of the two. Stormblood removed the cast bar from Minuet so it was basically an ability then even though it was classified as a weaponskill so there probably were small individual edge cases where that exact distinction mattered as well. This language got repurposed when they introduced weaponskills that were actually on the GCD that had longer independent CDs as well.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know BLM is the dedicated 'big loving explosions' job, but I'm now in the high 60s with SMN, and the sheer number of particle effects you throw out during your trance window is very satisfying. And after a roulette or two tonight I'll have Bahamut :getin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I know BLM is the dedicated 'big loving explosions' job, but I'm now in the high 60s with SMN, and the sheer number of particle effects you throw out during your trance window is very satisfying. And after a roulette or two tonight I'll have Bahamut :getin:

Yeah, nuSummoner is flashy as heck and it rules.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bloody Pom posted:

While the rest of the rotation may have issues, Bahamut is amazing. Hitting a pack of mobs with enough burst damage to momentarily steal aggro from the tank feels incredible.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

While the rest of the rotation may have issues, Bahamut is amazing. Hitting a pack of mobs with enough burst damage to momentarily steal aggro from the tank feels incredible.

I had this happen in Doma Castle last night, the tank ate poo poo on trash and I had to sprint around in a big circle while spamming Astral Flares :sweatdrop:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 14, 2023

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
When I hit lv. 15 I quickly learned to go watch a video guide to any dungeons/trials before I did them, so I'd know what to expect in a fight and I wouldn't be a drag on my teammates. The fight would start, I'd tell everybody I was new to the fight but I'd watched a video, and usually everything was okay. (Usually. Bismarck.)

Now I'm poking at lv. 90 optional dungeons and I watched a guide for Smileton and that ended up actually psyching me out. A lot of the end-MSQ fights felt like they were on the bleeding edge of my ability to cope with them already, and the bosses in that one just look so hectic. My confidence is temporarily shot. Blech.

I'll probably end up posting on Party Finder with a disclaimer when I'm actually ready to try, or maybe I'll just go whimper on Discord. In the meantime I'll be over here, painfully crafting Indagator pieces.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Smileton really isn't all that punitive, even if you make mistakes. Even when it was current content the damage it dealt wasn't that bad. The second boss especially telegraphs ages in advance.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think you're really psyching yourself out. Dungeon fights are designed for people to gently caress up constantly and still be recoverable. People go blind into dungeons all the time, gently caress up a mechanic, get a vuln stack or even die or cause a wipe and go "oops" and then they do it right next time because they saw how it works, and no one remarks or cares about it because it doesn't matter. Dungeons are easy to the point people doing roulettes sleepwalk through them and likely don't even notice if you get hit by something, so trust me that no one cares if you came prepared for the dungeon content. That being said, if you're anxious about it, please feel free to do anything that'll help. Do your homework, bring a friend, whatever helps, but you'll do fine.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Honestly, it's fine to watch videos, but it's also fine to just go in and screw up a little, especially if you mention it's your first time. In my experience, almost everyone in this game will understand someone learning the mechanics for the first run will make mistakes, and it's not likely to cause serious problems or delays. I know I don't start to really grasp mechs until I've actually seen them in game a time or two.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
there's no difference in mechanical complexity between optional dungeons and MSQ dungeons. all dungeons are on the same level, and all intended to be done without guides. if anything a guide overcomplicates it by having to explain something very visually intuitive

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And like, everyone fucks up, and it's kind of expected and accounted for in this game. I went into the latest MSQ dungeon with full savage BIS and royally hosed up the last boss, causing a wipe, and it wasn't a big deal. It's kind of a meme at this point that you will see players with "Legend" titles that die during mechanisms in Alliance/Dungeon raids.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Agreed you're probably overthinking it, 4 players dungeons really don't require you to watch a guide or prepare for them, you should be able to go there and have fun collecting vuln stacks. Don't worry too much about it.

If you need a crash course on handling crazy fights, you can try your hand at Bozja (available for level 71 jobs after Shadowbringers MSQ), it is a eye opening experience and a good training in "what does the debuff says", "maybe I should look outside the arena for death lasers", "I have to avoid 15 aoe zones at the same time" and "where is that one pixel where I'm not going to be murdered by other players", without the downside of disrupting the outcome of the fight since there will generally be 20 other players that can tank/heal/damage with you, and losing a fight is a team effort.
Unless you dash into all your buddies with an AoE marker for some PvP action ;)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the only dungeons that really needed guides were the ARR Hard Dungeons and the devs were still deciding on what their dungeon design principles were even going to be.

From HW on, stuff has generally been pretty intuitive to figure out, even if it might take a second try to get a clear if absolutely everyone's new.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My least favorite of the level 50 dungeons is Pharos Sirios, because all the bosses are unintuitive and really easy to wipe on except the fake boss that melts in like ten seconds. Meanwhile the Hard version of the dungeon is great and has really easy to follow mechanics if you read the pop up text.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

really appreciate the unbelievable amount of advice everyone gave! I took it all to heart and really dialed a bunch of things in, combat is feeling a lot more crisp now

Sastasha went off without a hitch but holy poo poo everyone is so fast. my DPS guys were way out ahead of me in the saloon? room pulling in groups of enemies. I took in pretty much none of what little story beats were there, but it was a blast.

I'm assuming most dungeons are gonna be like that through duty finder. is it ever worth doing dungeons solo just to take in some of the puzzle-solving or story elements or are they all gonna be that shallow?

I also assumed I'd be able to claim all my loot at the end but it looks like I missed out on that lol in fact I missed both the prompts that explain the need/greed thing and giving commendations

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Need/Greed is pretty simple, you click on a piece of treasure, you either Need it (it fits on your current job) or Greed it (everything else). Either one generates a lot, a random number between 0 and 99, higher is better. For Need rolls only other Need rollers can participate in casting for loot, for Greed rolls it's other Greed rollers. Once it's settled which it is (Need gets priority) the game compares lots and gives the treasure to the player with the highest roll.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

and you access the loot menu through the chatbox?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's above the chatbox but yes. That's the default location. There's a timer and it auto passes if you leave an instance before loot is distributed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

My least favorite of the level 50 dungeons is Pharos Sirios, because all the bosses are unintuitive and really easy to wipe on except the fake boss that melts in like ten seconds. Meanwhile the Hard version of the dungeon is great and has really easy to follow mechanics if you read the pop up text.

PS Normal is a very strong contender for worst dungeon in the game, imho. The only time I had fun in there was going in as a synched BLU party to get the spell from the Zu boss that requires you to fail the mechs, and that was more a "well, we're all suffering together, onward!" kind of fun.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

There should be a little pop-up for loot somewhere on your screen when a chest is opened. Click that or the chest and the loot menu opens. (There might be a text command for it, but I at least don't use it.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Picayune posted:

When I hit lv. 15 I quickly learned to go watch a video guide to any dungeons/trials before I did them, so I'd know what to expect in a fight and I wouldn't be a drag on my teammates. The fight would start, I'd tell everybody I was new to the fight but I'd watched a video, and usually everything was okay. (Usually. Bismarck.)

Now I'm poking at lv. 90 optional dungeons and I watched a guide for Smileton and that ended up actually psyching me out. A lot of the end-MSQ fights felt like they were on the bleeding edge of my ability to cope with them already, and the bosses in that one just look so hectic. My confidence is temporarily shot. Blech.

I'll probably end up posting on Party Finder with a disclaimer when I'm actually ready to try, or maybe I'll just go whimper on Discord. In the meantime I'll be over here, painfully crafting Indagator pieces.

Tbh it sounds to me like you shouldn't have gotten into this habit in the first place because it's only compounded your feeling that you need to know what you're doing your first time through a dungeon. You absolutely do not, and by always watching a guide for every single thing in the game you've removed the chance for you to develop the skills to be able to read fights blind and figure them out on your own.

My advice would be to get some people you know to run some of the upcoming stuff with you, without you looking at a guide first to start yourself on the path to being more confident you can tackle things on your own.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Antivehicular posted:

PS Normal is a very strong contender for worst dungeon in the game, imho. The only time I had fun in there was going in as a synched BLU party to get the spell from the Zu boss that requires you to fail the mechs, and that was more a "well, we're all suffering together, onward!" kind of fun.

It helps that both of Pharos Sirius's spells are like never-replace super duper important for BLU. As is the Hard version's Aetherial Mimicry, in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

God Hole posted:

I'm assuming most dungeons are gonna be like that through duty finder. is it ever worth doing dungeons solo just to take in some of the puzzle-solving or story elements or are they all gonna be that shallow?

Pretty much all the dungeons you go through are going to go that quick, but they get better at spacing things out and putting up barriers so you can only pull a couple groups at a time. Some of the story dungeons do have some interesting things in the margins that are worth going slower in with a trust (a group of NPC characters), but most of the duties are pretty straightforward set pieces later on.

If you want to just walk through the duty without mobs or bosses there is a feature to do that which was added recently, iirc.