Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

Pro drafting is a bit of a conundrum because it is, to a certain extent, outside of Riot's hands. Chronicler mentioned this in a recent LCKCL stream, and I think it's relevant across the whole ecosystem: at the end of the day, pros are still human beings who have only a certain number of hours a day to fit practice in. It's one thing to expect someone to be able to play every champion in their role reasonably well, but being able to keep their skills on all of them sharp throughout the entire season is a tall ask, and even that level of skill can't completely transition to a team environment. Differences in comps enable individual champs to do things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to, and knowing how certain pieces need to move to enable other pieces to thrive is something that teams can only get through practicing those specific comps repeatedly. In a place like Korea, where young players are already putting in enormous amounts of scrim time and solo queue, the strain of having to scout out new comps and fit them into the practice schedule while also addressing individual/team deficiencies is seen as being unrealistic. Lunami/Zulu every game is loving boring as poo poo from a spectator perspective, but it's perfect from a team perspective: you have known, straightforwards wincons that you can work towards, and the willingness of other teams to handshake on it means you can focus on team coordination and individual mechanics in practice over the minutiae of specifics comps.

Ideas like Fearless draft do look good on paper, but I don't think they'd be effectual. If you have to come to a game day with at least 6 potential comps you can run for your average Bo3, then you're eventually going to see teams scrimming enough to develop generally agreed upon handshake comps (e.g. if enemy team picks X1, we pick Y1; if they pick Y2, we pick X2; etc.), or simple front-to-back comps with individually indistinguishable pieces being swapped in and out as needed. It would also make side selection massively more important, since being able to get your mitts on a particularly powerful champ for B1 means that the enemy team has no opportunity to have that same advantage come game 2. The current system obviously isn't ideal, but attempting to artificially shift the meta via means outside the game feels like a bit of a dead end.

Ya 100% this. There is a reason when there is no obvious op midlaners the players just revert to Azir, Ryze, Corki, Orianna. Those champs fit most team comps no matter what and the players have a poo poo ton of experience. Ya they could try to run some weird synergy stuff like we saw with AST, Cassio/Twitch(for poison) but in most cases it's better risk/reward for the players to play what they have spent years playing than try to entertain us.

That's why I find myself pulled to players who have very unique playstyles. Whether that's Doinb's heavy roaming style or JKL playing every adc like it's Alistar or a even Hylissang who always looks for that perfect engage but often ends up looking dumb. Unfortunately it seems the players with these really unique playstyles are more rare these days. Malrang got a lot of poo poo from "analysts" for not being optimal but I really like his complete psycho playstyle reminds me of Rush/MLXG. I was hoping Bo would be playing more creative poo poo like Yike is with his Lillia/Belveth. Not playing creative stuff just for the sake of being creative but because it benefits a aspect of their playstyle. Early Darshan(Zionspartan) was a good example of this. What happened to him after, he just became another generic top(the competition did get better as well). But up until his first 2 years in CLG he was known for being a splitpushing top. Riot did weaken splitpushing with how strong drakes got but that was even before the nerfs to that playstyle. I was hoping a guy like Lider would have gotten more playtime last year in GGS but he got his visa super late and he didn't look that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't judge players based on appearances, I'm sure Lider's handsome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Huge fan of support Lux players going full greed and absolutely wrecking poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ONE HUNDRED THIEVES TRADE BARON FOR NEXUS THAT'S SOME NORTH AMERICAN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS BABY!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Ridiculous. Can't believe EG let that game go that long and then 100T just fuckin fell over and died.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

that's the kind of LCS game quality i know and love

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What's more LCS than stalling out a game for ages and then just rolling over and critically failing your macro awareness right as it looks like you have the upper hand?

The best thing about it is you could 100% see it coming, the second I saw Inspired and Vulcan splitting off to the baron pit alone I knew exactly how this was ending.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

njsykora posted:

ONE HUNDRED THIEVES TRADE BARON FOR NEXUS THAT'S SOME NORTH AMERICAN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS BABY!

Ah yes the TSM classic.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They need to activate the battle royal ring of fire from Nexus Blitz in these 100T games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

What's more LCS than stalling out a game for ages and then just rolling over and critically failing your macro awareness right as it looks like you have the upper hand?

The best thing about it is you could 100% see it coming, the second I saw Inspired and Vulcan splitting off to the baron pit alone I knew exactly how this was ending.

i'm still just like, loving agog that something as fundamentally important to baron control as "making sure you have mid prio" slipped out of their brains when some of these guys have been playing since season 1

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Vermain posted:

i'm still just like, loving agog that something as fundamentally important to baron control as "making sure you have mid prio" slipped out of their brains when some of these guys have been playing since season 1
To be fair: We've seen them since S1. It's not always been in their brains in the intervening years, either.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Spicalol/status/1625991855912656896

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hell yeah get their rear end

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That sure was a 1v3 that Ablazeolive thought he could win.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

That sure was a 1v3 that Ablazeolive thought he could win.

i respect it, the game's loving doomed if you fall too far behind with this comp and there's absolutely an angle for a double there if he played it out well and FLY panicked a lil

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was ARAM levels of refusing to end showboating.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

man, FQ are just on another goddamn level, huh

from what i can gather from interviews, they have a very similar situation to TL with corejj, where impact went to papasmithy, gave him a list of players and staff he wanted, and the two of them used their combined influence to put together this monster of a roster. it's telling how much respect impact commands that he's 7 years removed from being on a korean team and he still managed to get ssong, hot off a literal world championship win, to come to NA and take the reins

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Get Dhoked on idiots.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hoo baby, what a super play from big dhokes

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

just caught up and LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MASTERFULLY played by CLG, holy poo poo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That whole sequence should be played to every new League player as a perfect example of over chasing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

that was great, some of these games have been ridiculous today

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm really glad academy casters like raafaa and decerux are getting a chance to strut their stuff, there's a lot of legit promising casting talent mulling around down there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Huge fan of a good spite hook.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh god that was a painful, painful throw to watch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dignitas realising with horror that their early game investment was into an NA Jayce.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

second day of LCS super week and it's becoming increasingly clear that TL signed the wrong koreans lol

i have no clue what pyosik is even thinking half the time

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
what a terrible day to have eyes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

words truly fail to describe that game, good gravy

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Vermain posted:

words truly fail to describe that game, good gravy
Bronze costs a couple million dollars

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

second day of LCS super week and it's becoming increasingly clear that TL signed the wrong koreans lol

i have no clue what pyosik is even thinking half the time

i was hoping they would sign like, umti when the rumors came out

pyosik.. well. theres a reason he was subbed out multiple times in regular season for juhan

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

i was hoping they would sign like, umti when the rumors came out

pyosik.. well. theres a reason he was subbed out multiple times in regular season for juhan

caedrel was calling him the next crown and yeah, i can kinda see it after a couple weeks of this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dhokla is a loving monster on irelia, my god

meanwhile you could replace bjergsen with a cardboard cutout at this point and you wouldn't even notice

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Why does captain flowers look like his own evil twin

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

caedrel was calling him the next crown and yeah, i can kinda see it after a couple weeks of this

crown continued playing well after the worlds win imo. pyosik wasnt playing well before or after

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

henkman posted:

Why does captain flowers look like his own evil twin

one of the few dudes capable of rocking an evil goatee without being from the mirror universe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

crown continued playing well after the worlds win imo. pyosik wasnt playing well before or after

oh yeah, i think caedrel was less going for "crown was poo poo" and more that they were both inconsistent performers who went to NA post-worlds and ended up bombing out, and history will consequently remember them as guys who rode the coattails of others to a worlds win

i don't think that's entirely fair in either case, but i definitely would not have signed pyosik on the strength of his worlds performance alone, much less his regular season performance

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow TSM pulls it off

Wanted to be certain the nexus dies before I posted anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Wow TSM pulls it off

Wanted to be certain the nexus dies before I posted anything

that baron fight was sketchy as hell but bugi and neo played that end perfectly to avoid a catastrophe

again, it beggars belief that this bargain bin TSM roster is dead middle of the pack and managed to take a game off a team that looked invincible before tonight