Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I was doing a ST marathon a few years ago during the early days of the pandemic, but I never finished Enterprise because of how mad it made me.

There's an episode where Blalock (as a different Vulcan, I think) is stuck in a mid-20th century rural American town, and in order to blend in, she and her crewmate steal some clothes off of a clothesline. Blalock ducks behind a bedsheet that's hanging on the line to change, but because it's daylight and the sheet is sheer, you can almost see through it and see her chest (and you definitely see nipple). The episode itself wasn't memorable, but that scene just stuck with me with how blatant it was in a series that was already pretty blatant with how they used her.

That show was such a waste

Yeah T'Pol's ancestor who coincidentally looks exactly like her, T'Mir. And yeah that fan service stuff was bullshit and everyone on the set knew it.

The fun thing about that episode is it establishes that in Star Trek Prime Universe, vulcans invented Velcro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

Scripts that were mediocre at best and loving godawful at worst (lookin' at you, Nemesis).

The very core concept of Nemesis is a decent idea (Romulans clone Picard to make his ultimate enemy) because you got a whole Nature versus Nurture thing happening which is absolutely the sort of philosophical bullshit good Trek thrives on. But then yeah, the whole thing is a god damned mess. It's always funny to me when I remember Tom Hardy played the Picard clone. Mcavoy is a much better young Patrick Stewart.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Goddamn you guys really get going whenever Star Trek is brought up.

(Not a complaint - I just find it funny)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dango Bango posted:

Goddamn you guys really get going whenever Star Trek is brought up.

(Not a complaint - I just find it funny)

I've been a moderator at Trek BBS for more than 20 years. :( (And I'm currently the #2 admin.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And I decided like six or eight years ago to just re-watch "all of trek" and so it's more fresh in my memory. Although I still haven't watched the original animated series. Not sure if I have the willpower.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When it was on Netflix I got through the first 3 seasons of Next Generation after only having watched apparently the same 50 episodes in syndication multiple times as a kid.

I enjoyed how utterly trashy and messy the first season was. What a ride.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

And I decided like six or eight years ago to just re-watch "all of trek" and so it's more fresh in my memory. Although I still haven't watched the original animated series. Not sure if I have the willpower.

There was someone in CineD years ago that did that (well before any of the streaming Paramount shows, probably around the first Abrams Trek film) and they actually liked the animated series quite a bit. They were doing it from a sort of social justice lens, pointing out how loving racist TNG was with their portrayal of Worf etc.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Star Trek: First Contact is a mashup of the 2 best OG movies: The Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home.

Very now & then the Hollywood Theater here in Portland shows their 35mm print of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and I go see it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Star Trek: First Contact is a mashup of the 2 best OG movies: The Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home.

Very now & then the Hollywood Theater here in Portland shows their 35mm print of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and I go see it.

Like a third of Star Trek films are remakes of Wrath of Khan in some form or another.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

The original animated series has some absolutely classic episodes.

Kalli posted:

I enjoyed how utterly trashy and messy the first season was. What a ride.

That's what happens when the show is being run by a senile, paranoid, coked-out lunatic. And his lawyer.

Like, Gene Roddenberry was out of his goddamn gourd.

Skwirl posted:

There was someone in CineD years ago that did that (well before any of the streaming Paramount shows, probably around the first Abrams Trek film) and they actually liked the animated series quite a bit. They were doing it from a sort of social justice lens, pointing out how loving racist TNG was with their portrayal of Worf etc.

That was SubG.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One thing I was surprised to learn from listening to Nextlander's podcast about the first season of Star Trek was that Khan was actually in a few episodes before the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

One thing I was surprised to learn from listening to Nextlander's podcast about the first season of Star Trek was that Khan was actually in a few episodes before the movie.

Only one, Space Seed, in the first season of the original series. The episode ends with him and his supermen being left on Ceti Alpha V, and there's a tag from Kirk saying, basically, "I wonder what they'll be like and how they'll be doing down the road," which is what gave new producer Harve Bennett the idea of using Khan in the second movie.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also for as bad Tasha Yar got treated in season 1 of TNG, man the descriptions of what poor Yeoman Rand went through as an actor

Timby posted:

Only one, Space Seed, in the first season of the original series. The episode ends with him and his supermen being left on Ceti Alpha V, and there's a tag from Kirk saying, basically, "I wonder what they'll be like and how they'll be doing down the road," which is what gave new producer Harve Bennett the idea of using Khan in the second movie.

As Ice Cube famously rapped: Still getting swole off bread and water.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

It's a loving wild episode. A woman on the ship, an actual officer in Starfleet, is so charmed by Khan and his fascinating ethos based on a glib, infantile reading of history that she basically says "gently caress it, I wanna be evil if it means I can be with youuu" and enables his bullshit. And then like Timby said they just leave him on some poo poo insanely hostile planet and I guess starfleet never goes back to check on them ever again.

Kalli posted:

Also for as bad Tasha Yar got treated in season 1 of TNG, man the descriptions of what poor Yeoman Rand went through as an actor

As Ice Cube famously rapped: Still getting swole off bread and water.

Terry Farrell, who played Jadzia Dax, also had to deal with constant on-set sexual harassment.

e. This is another loving twitter thread and I'm very sorry about that but it's a pretty good complication of Rick Berman's Bullshit Towards Women
https://twitter.com/thisismewhatevs/status/1360745990895108103?lang=en

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 14, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

Grace Lee Whitney had it rough. Raped by a Desilu executive, hooked on diet pills, let go after appearing in only eight of the first fifteen episodes.

Leperflesh posted:

It's a loving wild episode. A woman on the ship, an actual officer in Starfleet, is so charmed by Khan and his fascinating ethos based on a glib, infantile reading of history that she basically says "gently caress it, I wanna be evil if it means I can be with youuu" and enables his bullshit. And then like Timby said they just leave him on some poo poo insanely hostile planet and I guess starfleet never goes back to check on them ever again.

Ceti Alpha V as of the time of Space Seed was relatively similar to Earth. Ceti Alpha VI's explosion, a year after the supermen were put there, is what ruined Ceti Alpha V's atmosphere and turned it into a hellscape. :pseudo:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I may be remembering it wrong and it might be due to the "enhancements" they made to TOS to get them up to high-def for streaming off of amazon/paramount+, but I think as they fly away from Ceti Alpha 5 you can see the planet's like, red?

e. I dunno but yeah you're right

quote:

Kirk: : "Mister Spock, our heading takes us near the Ceti Alpha star system."
Spock: : "Quite correct, Captain. Planet number five there is habitable, although a bit savage, somewhat inhospitable."
Kirk: : "But no more than Australia's Botany Bay colony was at the beginning. Those men went on to tame a continent, Mister Khan. Can you tame a world? "

Love the implication that Australia was uninhabited and needed to be tamed

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 14, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

I may be remembering it wrong and it might be due to the "enhancements" they made to TOS to get them up to high-def for streaming off of amazon/paramount+, but I think as they fly away from Ceti Alpha 5 you can see the planet's like, red?

To be fair a Ceti Alpha V ear leech would only be like the 16th or 17th scariest thing in Australia with regards to native fauna.

Also, didn't Ross run through all the Treks around the pandemic?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

Hey, those holes in the ozone weren’t going to make themselves!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm going to Vegas this weekend for a bach party

Let's check in on the weather

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1625578039991222272
https://twitter.com/staybloodred/status/1625577466436915200
https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1625607115497951232

i see

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

most people like tocatta and fugue in d minor but personally I prefer the passacaglia

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We just got 9 inches of snow in Dubuque last Wednesday / Thursday, and now that we've had a few days of it melting, that new winter storm is projected to drop another eight or nine inches of snow on us starting tomorrow night. :suicide:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

swickles posted:

To be fair a Ceti Alpha V ear leech would only be like the 16th or 17th scariest thing in Australia with regards to native fauna.

Also, didn't Ross run through all the Treks around the pandemic?

I think he's pointing out there were already people in Australia before the Brits started sending convicts there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

most people like tocatta and fugue in d minor but personally I prefer the passacaglia

It's a Johann Sebachelor Bach party

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kiimo posted:

Let's check in on the weather

i see

Huh, and I was just doomerism-ing with a friend about how warm it's been all winter (we've had maybe 3-4 inches of snow combined outside Boston).

Anyway, I was reading this earlier if you want a fun read about how Florida's dealing with rising sea levels

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/crumbling-seawalls-rising-seas-fort-lauderdale-crackdown-on-way/ar-AA17mxhX

Anyone with a house on the coast is basically gonna be forced to shell out 10's to hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise seawalls in Fort Lauderdale and a bunch of other cities.

quote:

One resident asked whether the city, state or federal government was offering a bailout or grants to help homeowners repair their seawalls.

The short answer: No.

“The city has looked for that,” Gassman said. “To date, we have not found any of those opportunities available. The city is not providing any monetary incentives for property owners to raise their seawalls. That’s the responsibility of the property owner. We will cite someone if they have a fence in significant disrepair. And in our view, a seawall is no different than having a dilapidated roof or a fence that’s falling down.”

Nine other cities in Broward have already embraced the new seawall heights, Gassman said.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kalli posted:

Huh, and I was just doomerism-ing with a friend about how warm it's been all winter (we've had maybe 3-4 inches of snow combined outside Boston).

Anyway, I was reading this earlier if you want a fun read about how Florida's dealing with rising sea levels

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/crumbling-seawalls-rising-seas-fort-lauderdale-crackdown-on-way/ar-AA17mxhX

Anyone with a house on the coast is basically gonna be forced to shell out 10's to hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise seawalls in Fort Lauderdale and a bunch of other cities.

lol amazing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think he's pointing out there were already people in Australia before the Brits started sending convicts there.

And those people had altered the landscape to suit their survival strategies for 40k years, if anyone tamed the landscape it was them.

The brits showed up and tried to grow inappropriate crops, introduced invasive species, and generally did badly and were on the edge of starvation for years; but they had guns and a constant supply of additional supplies and labor arriving, they weren't independent ever. Kirk is telling Khan to start the equivalent of a penal colony on a completely uninhabited planet with almost no supplies, and then offers no resupply. Nobody even bothers to check and see if they are still alive after a year. It's super hosed up.

kiimo posted:

It's a Johann Sebachelor Bach party

That owns

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Also Star Trek Prodigy is amazing. People should give it a shot

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

The brits...had guns

Unrelated but this just made me think about the emu war that they lost and laugh again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Australia talk reminds me of this scene I just watched this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffzv6pC5P3I
Yeah it's a fabricated tale but to really believe the natives didn't have an actual name for "kangaroo" showed how gullible colonel Webber was.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Enemy Mine came up earlier and no one else said it so i want to point out that the reason the movie's third act is such a weird pivot with the evil miners is because an executive was confused by the movie's title and demanded there be a literal Enemy Mine in it for an action climax

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I appreciate this post.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It is with great pleasure that I get to share this ground breaking news:

New Trigun is good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Australia talk reminds me of this scene I just watched this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffzv6pC5P3I
Yeah it's a fabricated tale but to really believe the natives didn't have an actual name for "kangaroo" showed how gullible colonel Webber was.

my interpretation of that scene isn't that the natives didn't have a name for kangaroo, but rather that they didn't understand what was being asked ("what is that thing called")

god Arrival is such a good movie though

Alaois posted:

Enemy Mine came up earlier and no one else said it so i want to point out that the reason the movie's third act is such a weird pivot with the evil miners is because an executive was confused by the movie's title and demanded there be a literal Enemy Mine in it for an action climax

ahahaha oh my god
is that true, it feels like it can't possibly be true

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kalli posted:

Good IMO. the government should not by ponying up to help protect private residences just so they can live by the ocean. gently caress em.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Timby posted:

I've been a moderator at Trek BBS for more than 20 years. :( (And I'm currently the #2 admin.)

What's the best star trek slap fight you have witnessed?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hosed up one thing on this trip: got my tickets to Siem reap wrong. Was gonna shoot over, see Angkor wat, the shoot back but hosed up the dates.

would cost 1k to change them on short notice. and airasia is completely useless

poo poo.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I know someone who knows Jolene Blalock and as a result have been to a couple parties she was also at, for your Seven SA Posters of Separation games in future.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: I've been had.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It is with great pleasure that I get to share this ground breaking news:

New Trigun is good

Haven't watched the latest episode of it yet, but agreed. Recency bias and all, but I think I like it more than OG Trigun so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

Our first house was probably 3mi from Ft Sumter and maybe 250yds from Clark Sound on James Island (just inland from morris island and folly beach). We were paying something like 1500/yr for NFIP flood insurance on the pre-FIRM maps, because the house was built in 1960.

When Matthew hit, I boarded up the house, packed up my very pregnant wife and sent her to North Carolina with her mom, then drove to work fully expecting to lose our home.

It hit at low tide. The debris line from the tidal creek across the street stopped maybe 10ft from my front steps.

We had our child, and sold the home maybe 5 or 6mo later, because we knew eventually updated flood zoning would have ruined us.

It was the most “home” I’ve ever had and I miss it every day, but I will never live that close to the water again.

E: god I got sad as hell just typing that. I want to clarify that I would live near a mountain lake.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 15, 2023